Options

Abingdon Marathon 2010

Comments

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

I was disappointed with Glovers book. Very wordy for little depth. Actually put mine on ebay (no bidders!). Daniels, Pfizinger both better. Noakes best if you like reading!

I'm in this one.SHould pb as will be my 2nd mara.

D2D - Entries closed around Aprl last yr apparently. The organisers are giving money back if you enter and withdraw before 31st July.

2bTiny - Have you entered?

Anyone from Kent fancy sharing a lift on the day or maybe night before?

• Options
    Keir.......................No I haven't entered yet.......But................You're tempting me even more now!!!!!! The thought of a lift share up is extremely tempting. What are you thinking.......early morning or night before???? I am still VERY, VERY keen to do this one and do think it is possible to do both Marathons I want to do at that time. Cost is the only thing putting me off a bit at the moment..........entry & hotel don't come cheap! ....and finaces a bit strained. 
  • Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Hi 2bt. I saved £3 by posting the entry rather than online. Not a huge saving agreed, but still 10%.

Probably travel up the night before. I usually found with cycle races I did better after an early morning and breakfast at home, rather than staying in an unusual bed, pizza and cornflake breakfast. Abingdon is probably 150 miles which will take around 2 1/2 hrs at that time in the morning. I cannot remember the start time, but a 5am alarm call wouldn't kill me.

I wanted to do this one for purely a pb. I might run the weald of kent half or even just as training, and jog the final (or maybe first) 6 miles. Running both hard would be possible, but pretty full on! You'll be doing ultras next!

• Options
    Keir..............You've started something again!!!!! Okay am now seriously thinking about this again and have done some hotel research, chatted to OH, and am coming closer to a positive decision. Am going to try and send you a PM regarding details of lift share arrangements.
  • Options
    I've got to say I think it's the right decision 2btiny image
  • Options
    Thanx for your support vee!!!!! I REALLY, REALLY want to do this one and I seem to be talking hubby around to the idea. Think positive thoughts and I'll try work my magic here.
  • Options

2btiny

there are some travelodges not too faraway/..............we stayed at Newbury and at certain times of year they do sales......... .you can get a room for £9 or £19 sometimes..............it leaves you just a 20 min drive on the morning thenimage

• Options
    mee meepmee meep ✭✭✭
    My first ever marathon has now been entered!  Any pearls of wisdom anyone?
  • Options

pearls of wisdom ahh

was rather hoping u coulds give me some image

so, whats the furthest u've run ?

how did it feel, ??

how do you reckon you coped ??

Abingdon is a fair way off yet, so plenty of time to tune the old body

• Options
    SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭
  • Options
    BB ✭✭✭
    ooh see you there Cazimage
  • Options
    SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

B, are you following me????

Not sure how well I will do in Abingdon as I hope to be doing some swimming events over the summer, so running training might have to take second place.  I am hoping that swimming will keep my fitness up so that I can get away with less running.

• Options
    mee meepmee meep ✭✭✭

Lol Mick, the distance shouldn't be the problem (i hope) image it will be the week of panic proceeding it that will be the fun bit!  Hope to get 2:59:59 but whatever does happen it will be my best ever image

Are you both at Reading in a couple of weeks time Mick?

• Options

Maybe, should be, hopefully

who know's image

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Hmm.  Just found out one of my "regular" and favourite offroad ultra events has moved from July to ... Sat 16 Oct.  Been shortened to 26.5 miles, though.

I've entered Abingdon now, and it's a PB attempt.  Can I, should I do both?  Decisions, decisions ...

• Options
    TrexmMe and my OH had been training to do the July event so was gutted when the abandoned it as i was really looking forward to doing it for the first time............My OH is doing Abingdon so we won't be doing the shorter on in October eitherimage
  • Options
    Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭
    Signed up and planning to use as main "race" marathon of the year
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    seren nos - yes, that was the Caerphilly Summits 32.  Done it three times - a brilliant event.  Much the same sort of ground in Oct by the looks of it but going further north.  Have decided I am going to do it but it is going to make a PB attempt next day a very big ask, in fact probably unlikely.  But back to back races is also valuable and a challenge in its own right.
  • Options
    If it is then you will have to buy it..........last year the finishers t-shirt was a red technical one.much better than the usual race t-shirts
  • Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    Stupid question, but what is a technical t shirt? Is it a brand or the type of material? Whats so good about it? Does it fit better or something?
  • Options

Entered

This looks like my main sub 3 attempt as VLM will now be an LSR due to an ongoing injury.

See you all there.

• Options
    Noel, they have souvenir t-shirts/sweats for sale that have all the entrants names on.  I bought one in 2008 - cost a tenner if I remember rightly. 
  • Options

Just entered this as a back up - have picked up an injury which may or may not put paid to my Blackpool Mara ambitions in April - will know more after seeing the physio Monday, but will keep this as a back up in case all doesn't go well.

Sounds a good race anyway!

• Options
    sub 3 or bust again for me, Hi FL and PH
  • Options
    I'm in!
    This is my 2nd marathon. Did the New Forest marathon last year. Bit of a disaster, set off too fast and walked most of the last 6 miles.
    Looking forward to this one, everyone says it's one of the best...
  • Options

Hi all,

Im in, ran last year.  Doing Stratford in a few weeks.  Then this will be my autumn marathon.

• Options

i'm in too....my first marathon.....gulp....