Options

Fans of Thanet

Comments

• Options
    Next year guys try the Sevenoaks 10k, despite feeling like shit, i,d paid my money so thought i ought to make the effort. Given that it was organised by the Sevenoaks Rotary Club it was very well organised with 487 finishers. Over the past few years they have had a bit of a slatting on the forum, but unlike Niceworks they seem to learn from their mistakes. Their only failing this year was on the one drinks station the two old dears passing out the water couldnt keep up, but hey to stop the cups blowing over they used seed trays to stand the cups in (bless them). Its a two lap course part cross country and part pathways around Knole Park including a couple of k climbing uphill on each lap. You would have done well Andy, only one person under 38 mins. Me  I finished 127th in a 49 mins, okay given i was struggling to breath. Trouble is felt shit for the rest of the day.
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Mark - Knole park is beautiful. Done the Seven Oaks 7 three times.
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Cinders - Well done on your Mothers Day half marathon at Silverstone today image
  • Options

Well done MA.

How did Cinders do?image

• Options

Morning all

I see the Kent Coastal Marathon and Half are now open to entries - I'm so tempted with the full 26.2 this year but I have Abingdon six weeks after this. Can I do both?

Any thoughts/recommendations?

TB

PS Just how many TRACie's did I see yesterday morning?  I was impressed with everyone's commitment!

• Options
    That Boy - why not do both?  If your training is going well - Abingdon is a different course to Thanet and not as hillyimage
  • Options

JFDI - I am seriously thinking about both but can I recover in time for Abingdon?  Perhaps if I ran the Kent Coastal "carefully" and keep something back I might be ok.  I'd like to run 3:20 at Thanet if possible and I hope that doesn't leave me too battered!?

Have you guys ever considered running the race the other way round? I.e., go out to Birchington for the first half and Ramsgate for the second.  That would be interesting!

• Options
    TBSIARF - I don't think the turnround at Minnis could cope with the half marathon field - it would be far too congested! 
  • Options

Very true JFDI but just a thought.............

Getting back to my 2 marathons in 6 weeks quandary - have many other runners at the club done this?  Is it advisable?  I know 2btiny was considering the same but I think she decided against it. 

• Options
    TBSIARF...................When I was considering both of these marathons, the general concensus from the multiple marathon runners that I asked was that it was very do-able if that was what I wanted to do.........especially if I made one an A race and one a B race. If you think realistically, the first marathon serves as one of your long runs for the other. For Brighton I will have run 3 x 20 milers all 3 weeks apart....and then on to the Marathon. So you could train for Kent Coastal, rest for a week, then shorter LSR's of 12-15miles then put one Long 20 miler in 3 weeks after Marathon and then taper down to Abingdon. After much agony over the decision, I have decided against it though......not because I think it's not do-able though. I just have been known to bite off too much and need to temper my enthusiasm with caution sometimes. Having never run a marathon, I need to see how my body copes with this at Brighton first. As a very new runner, I probably need to just approach marathon running one step at a time as I do plan to continue doing this for many years and so need to allow my body recovery time to avoid injury and a premature end to a running career. So  Kent Coastal was my first choice as I feel it fitting to run the HM last year as my first race and then to come back to the full the following year. Also it is a club champs/Grand Prix race this year. I shall then go on to attempt a Half Marathon PB at The Great Eastern Run again (which is the weekend before Abingdon). Abingdon remains on my "wish list" and I will try to slot that one in for next year all going well. By then, I will have 2-3 full marathons under my belt and can make a serious effort at a Marathon PB on what is supposed to be a flat PB potential course.
  • Options
    TBSIARF........ 2 marathons in 6 weeks, if only. 3 weeks after London MF7 and i will be running 55 miles across the scottish mountains. I am seriously banking on the fact that the ultra run will be significantly slower that the marathon and that the lack of speed will not impact the legs as much as a pacier marathon, if not i,m in deep s**t and Debs and JFDI had better start reading up on all manner of physio skills (they are our support crew).
  • Options
    TBSIARF - Absolutely, give it a go! Physically there is enough time for recovery, why do all the training and then use it on only one marathon?????? The worst case scenario is that you do both, find it really tough and then you never try such a venture again. The best case scenario is that you find it a breeze doing them 6 weeks apart, the next thing you know you will be doing a multi-stage race with MF and Bobo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!image
  • Options

I am doing 2 in 2 weeks.

You just need to decide (as TBT says) which is your A and which is your B race.

The B race will inevitably be 20-40 minutes slower. As a recovery - the rule of thumb is 1 day per mile. Then you need to build up again.

To be honest, I would say that for both you won't get the special time you are looking for. As you mentally will hold back a bit. For me, I am looking at both of mine (Taunton and Brighton) as "tourist runs" which I will do to a heart monitor and maybe 20-30 minutes slower than I would aim to do if I was "going for a time"

Smell the flowers and enjoy ...

Basically - If you go hell-for-leather for one (or intend to) the other will suffer.

• Options

Thanks to everyone who replied and offered their advice to my little quandary - it's really appreciated. Okay, so it is possible but as TBT and DB state, planning which is race "A" and which is "B" is possibly the best approach.  However.....Cliff Face is right "why do all that training for just one marathon."   Perhaps I could RUN both?  In an ideal world I'd really like to do around 3:15 at Thanet and start knocking on the door of 3:00 at Abingdon. 

Nearer the time I'll be able to gauge my fitness levels and take it from there...perhaps even run race "b" using a HRM to ensure I DONT GO MAD and see what pace I can get for a low heart rate....??

I suppose the BEST training run you can do for a marathon is to run a marathon?  I remember a guy I ran with at Halstead in 2006 had run London just a few weeks before and he was adamant that it had really helped him.  I suppose it all depends on the individuals capacity for recovery.

With regard to recovery--------Mark A, I really wish you the best of luck with your marathon followed by your 55 mile jaunt across the Scottish mountains.  Not sure it's something I'd ever fancy doing but hey, you never know?!  I recently watched "Run Across The Sun" re: Badwater - NO THANKYOU!! But it might be something you might like to put in your diary?

2BTiny - good to see your internet is working again - BT eh???!!!!

Again, many thanks for everyone's thoughts.......

• Options

The key to all this is how you train over the summer...

You probably need to train in such a way that you finish Thanet without any aches or niggles. . .and not sprint too hard at the end - just to beat some guy because he is wearing football socks!

In the second marathon, aim for a negative split - that way you can listen to your body better and not go off too hard in the first half.

Don't trust the notion that running a marathon is the best way to train for a marathon. If that was the case, we'd get ourselves to a point where we'd do 10-15 marathons a year and expect a PB each time.

We don't know how that guy for Halstead trained. He may have been lucky. He may have been an ultra runner looking for "speed work"...

...and book yourself in for some massages, too!

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Clif face - I have done two marathons two weeks apart for the last couple of year. Like you said why waste the training. Am doing Brighton and Halstead this year, but they are 3 weeks apart unlike FLM and Halstead last year.
  • Options
    You are quite right Tracey, it is absolutely possible (as is anything with the right mindset!!!!) but it will just depend on what That Boy wants to get from it, PBs or enjoyable completions, or one of each!
  • Options
    MF7- After this weekend i could really do with getting in a 20 plus slow off road run, let me know when your available over the next couple of weeks.
  • Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Morning.

CB, doesn't sound like they made any changes from Lydd last year!

Can say that Silverstone was very well organised bar the same old problem of getting in/out the circuit.  No idea how they cope on a F1 weekend!

• Options
    How did you get on Cinders???image
  • Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    I finished, that was my only goal this time, ta for asking CF image  Onwards, upwards and a bit faster next time!
  • Options
    Well done Cinders, I hope you left enough in reserve for a storming sprint finishimage
  • Options
    Well done Cinders - when you gonna join us on Mondays?image  After VLM am going to be bringing my niece and nephew along - they're up to 3 miles steady plod at the mo
  • Options
    Two questions. I missed the club night last week. Is the newsletter being posted out? when is the AGM?
  • Options

Newsletter will be posted out this week.

It was given out at the meeting but I haven't had time to pack the envelopes yet.

Your letter and the membership form were in it.

• Options
    CB......AGM is on 12th May
  • Options

MA I have to work this coming weekend but plan for a heavy mileage weekend the following. something like 20 on the Saturday hopefully DB will join me (could be off road ish ) and then join the club run for 17 on the Sunday.  I will also be talking to bo-bo about some weekday long ones on the downs in the next few weeks. image

• Options

more than happy to help out - I can generally be found playing on the Downs at least twice a week - but the next few weeks are not the best timing ...

Sevenoaks (30) this w/e so unlikely to go long the following week, H home 25/03 - 16/04, plus working pattern jiggled over the Easter period to allow a week of the white stuff.

can always lend you maps ...tall mark can generally be found at the top of an incline in the area image

• Options

Should a serious runner like you be taking the white stuff for a week?

• Options

Any of you guys used "MapMyRun.com" - really interesting.  I've just uploaded an 18 mile route of Thanet (starting at Westgate) as we were seriously lacking in representation on the site.  Mind you, it's taken about a day to work out how to do it!

It might be useful for future races, i.e., one of use can run the route in training (using garmin devices etc.) upload the route to the site, and then create a link from TRAC emails, the website etc.  Runners can then view the map of the route, and even watch video fly-bys.  Just a thought......

As you were....