Options

Challenge Henley 2011

Comments

• Options

Oh

I am not very good with this running stuff.....image

• Options

IW - haven't made a decision yet ... will go through my thinking on the IMHO thread so I don't bore everyone here.  Might even start a thread to see what opinion is on a spring mara for summer IM-ers.

OC - you might be able to have my Brighton place - as long as you don't mind being a slow woman in a much older age category to you!  I fell foul of that mistake with the Great South Run last year. Gave my place to a much younger faster guy from our club and ended up 'winning' my AG by miles. Started getting congrats emails that afternoon. It was AWFUL.  Obviously I confessed first thing on Monday morning and the rightful winner got her prizes etc.  But it was a horrid feeling.  Taught me a lesson.

• Options
    That's a no-no. If anyone swaps race numbers, make sure you do it only with full knowledge and agreement of the organisers. Quite apart from the sort of prizes mix-up AH describes, if you just do it then you're not insured if you get ill or injured during the race, also you can cause all sortsof worry to other people who may know and track the name of the person whose number you are wearing. Don't do it.
  • Options
    Absolutely.  I learned my lesson.
  • Options
    I feel well and truly told off now image.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

latest update:

The news from Just Racing is all good as we seem to have solved a few bits and pieces. No official announcement as yet, but Challenge Henley on Thames will hopefully be launched within the next 10 days or so for an 18th september 2011 race date. We are now working on the website, to ensure when any official announcements are made, we are able to open entries immediately. The initial information on the site will be quite sparce as we are preparing the site to launch. Obviously much more detailed information will be conitnually added as soon as we have stuff prepared.
    As you can imagine, we are really excited about delivering this event, not only in Henley on Thames, but in the UK, along with being part of the Worldwide Challenge Family.
    Look out for more info coming soon and we can't wait to welcome some of you in 2011 (to race and maybe to volunteer).

Alan

• Options
    Just trying to think of something poignant to say about Henley being part of 'the Challenge famileeee'...
  • Options
    oh great - I can change my name to O.rangeC.annon

;-)
  • Options
    can't do a lot with mine - since I chose it years ago to represent both my first long distance race (in 2000) and my dogs 'cos most people think a White Shepherd is a wolf, especially when he's off-leash in the forest!
  • Options
    O.rangeCannon wrote (see)
    oh great - I can change my name to O.rangeC.annon image

No Ms, Cs or Rs in my name either Wolf.

Thinking I'll do IMR and Vit instead of IMR and this.

• Options

Does anyone have any idea what entry for this will likely cost?

I'm sure it'll be cheaper than IMUK

• Options
    Cant remember what we paid for Roth?  Cheaper than IMUK yes but not as cheap as Outlaw
  • Options
    Sounds like a great location for a great new race
  • Options
    Melds think it was about 280 euro or thereabouts for Roth, but that may have been with the group discount?
  • Options

Challenge Henley is open!  image

But... the price for 'early bird' is £300 -  a lot of money given the success of the Outlaw this year.  For those who were thinking of two Iron races next year with this as the second then i think the price might prove prohibitive.

• Options
    Challenge series reaches 10 events with Henley-on-Thames
    The Challenge Family has welcomed the 10th race to its global triathlon series with the
    addition of a long-course race in the picturesque English town of Henley-on-Thames.
    The race is set for 18 September 2011 over the full long-course distance of a 3.8km swim,
    180km cycle and 42.2km run. Located on the north side of the scenic River Thames in
    Oxfordshire, Henley-on-Thames was founded in the 12th century and is known as one of
    the region’s loveliest towns, with flower-filled gardens, quaint shops, waterfront pubs and
    places of historic interest.
    “It is often called the jewel in Oxfordshire's crown,” said Alan Rose, managing director of
    Just racing and race director of Challenge Henley-on-Thames. “This picturesque and
    delightful community is also on the edge of the Chilterns, a beautiful area in its own right.
    Challenge Henley-on-Thames is the culmination of nearly a year’s work to secure the
    required permissions, including road closures. And picturesque though it may be, the bike
    course especially will challenge athletes with its 7,000 feet of climbing through the Chiltern
    Hills.
    “We are really pleased to welcome Henley-on-Thames into the series,” said Challenge
    Family CEO Felix Walchshöfer. “UK athletes are always very well represented in our
    series, usually the first or second largest nationality on our start lists after the local
    athletes. With such a loyal base in the UK, we’re delighted to be able to bring the
    Challenge brand to them.”
    Just Racing organises a range of running, cycling, duathlon and triathlon events in the UK,
    including National Championships, World and European age group qualifying races, and
    pool and open water triathlons.
    Entries will be available at midday on Tuesday 21st September 2010. Entry fees for
    individual competitors will be 300 pounds, with relay team entries available for 400
    pounds.
    “Felix and his family, along with the whole Challenge family, have made us feel extremely
    welcome and we can’t wait to be delivering what will hopefully be a positive UK addition to
    the worldwide Challenge family,” Rose said. “We have been so impressed with the way
    that the organisers work together, with a real sense of belonging to something much
    bigger than your own race.”
    “All of our team are active athletes and include a full range of ability,” said Rose. “Ten of
    our team will be competing at Roth 2010, as well as taking on many other challenges
    along the way”.
    About the course:
    The swim will take place on the world famous Royal Regatta Rowing course, swimming
    towards Henley town centre/bridge and then returning back to the Henley Business
    School.
    The two-lap bike course will take in some 7,000 feet (2100m) of climbing in the Chiltern
    Hills. Competitors will have the chance to test both their climbing and descending skills
    and pass through typical English villages on the journey.
    The four-lap run course will take athletes over Henley Bridge, around the lanes in
    Remenham, past Hambledon Lock and Temple Island as they return on the Thames path
    alongside the river, back over Henley bridge. The course also takes runners past a variety
    of rowing clubs, including the world famous Leander Rowing Club.
    The finish will be at the Henley Rugby Club.
    For more information, visit www.challengehenley.com or www.challenge-family.com.
  • Options
    "he price for 'early bird' is £300 - a lot of money given the success of the Outlaw this year."

partly because the organisers had to cough £60K UP FRONT to the Challenge group to use the brand - Outlaw doesn't have that up front cost to reclaim.

looks interesting all the same with the location and closed roads - but what is it with Challenge and split transitions?? they always seem to have them
  • Options

and 400 pounds for the relay?

• Options
    Roth relay worked out at around £140 per head UI so not that much different
  • Options
    Will be interesting to see details on the bike course when its released.  Run course looks nice and flat, but I wonder how they will manage the bridge crossing (a bit of a bottleneck normally IIRC) and also the riverside path portion of the run (presumably stacks of portable floodlighting).
  • Options
    Planning my first long distance in 2011, I had picked challenge Barcelona as the race but I came across the challenge Henley earlier today, just wondering if anyone had a bit of advice for a first timer as to which course would suit better, Barcelona being flat and Henley hilly. I have a year to train but cycle is not my best section. (I’d have a lot more support in Henley & easier to get to)   
  • Options
    First year for Henley so no one will have a knowledge of the course

I can say it will be quite lumpy unless it follows the river course for 112 miles!!
  • Options

Ya i see that no course map has been released yet i suppose i just wanted to get a feel for which type of course is better suited hilly or flat

• Options
    Little Ninja wrote (see)

Thinking I'll do IMR and Vit instead of IMR and this.
    That's my plan too LN...
    lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options
    That's way too expensive for me i'm afraid
  • Options
    Mick, I'm not sure what you mean by 'suit better'.  You'll be slower on a hilly course than a flat one, but then so will everyone else.  Big guys will find the climbs harder than stick thin whippets, but will be faster on the descents.  Unless you're genuinely struggling to make a cut off I wouldn't worry about the bike course.  You've got a year to train so pick one and go for it.
  • Options
    I have regsitered our interest for the return of the PSOF bike feed if anyone is interested??
  • Options
    I'd help out on the bike feed. Great idea. image
  • Options

I'll help out as it's just down the road from me - was planning to volunteer anyway image

might even get the fraglets involved too