Options

Tadworth 10

124»

Comments

• Options

Another well organised race by the Burghers of Taddy.

wtf was going on up Ebbisham Lane though?

Some horses and their riders from the local stables encamped near the bottom of the lane holding the race up for a minute or so on the first circuit - quite dangerous too! And cars pootling along in between the runners choking us with their fumes - and that was all before the second circuit!

Two MPV's doing three point turns on the second circuit necessitating runners having to run around them as they stayed motionless across E.L. Another horse & rider coming down the lane as well. Never seen any of that in the nine years I've run this previously.

It looks to me as there may be a campaign to stop this race taking place up Ebbisham.

Hope the organisers manage to sort it out (maybe call it the Tesco Ten eh?!) image

• Options
    LOVED the race today. 1hr18 I think, not sure.

Didn't hear the claxon thing go off and then I actually had to walk for 2/3 mins due to the horses bolting and almost throwing their riders. Some just ran on past which made it worse. Yes I was looking for a good time but not at the expense of the poor riders. I think as runners we need to realise that although we had a race going on that there are other road users. Annoying as it is.

The hills were hard, particularly on the second loop. And the horse margin thingy almost killed me both times but was really pleased with it. A 30 min improvement time for me but the main thing was I felt strong the entire way and probably should have raced it/run it faster but we learn...

Well organised and friendly. Miles better than Epsom 10 in my opinion. Thanks to the guys from Tadworth. So lovely to see people from other clubs too. The music at the start was fab too.

Only thing I'd say is that we couldn't hear the starting thing go off! Don't think there is much we can do to prevent horse/car problems though.

Thanks again to all the marshalls and supporters.

Awesome image
  • Options

I was towards the front and was lucky with the horses on the first lap, but it was obviously going to cause problems further back.  Thing is, all the stables are given lots of very polite notice that there's going to be a runners on the lane between 10:30 and 11:30 or so.  It's only once a year that there's a race on the lane now that they've managed to get the Perch denied permission, yet there's always a few who ignore that and go out to cause mischief. 

Yes, we as runners need to be aware of other road-users and considerate to others but I've been doing that around the downs for years and there are some horse riders in the area (not all by any means though) who plainly don't give a toss for anyone but themselves.  I find it increasingly hard to have any sympathy for them, I'm afraid.

• Options
    I know what you mean. We often get held up by riders - well I mean we stop and walk past. Often they say thanks but often say nothing at all and give us evil looks for even being there. We have as much right to be there as they do - and as you say they were given notice. I had no idea they'd been told, I thought it was a coincidence. It's such a shame that they got the perch taken away. It would be awful if this race went. It is definitely one of my favourites.

• Options

It's absolutely bloody ridiculous that those 4 riders were in the lane during the no doubt well publicised race - what is it, that one hour out of a year that they simply MUST ride out in the lane? Wearing effing hunting outfits?

Like Cheerful Dave I was (reasonably) close to the front,  the woman on the grey had dismounted and the others were calm at that stage.

We had a wheelbarrow race in our village yesterday. Takes about 30 minutes and involves the High Street for about 15, with no official road closures, but we still had a few people absolutely insistent on driving up the High Street through the middle of it (needless to say led by a woman in an X5)

Anyway, I for one had a good race, thanks to all concerned with the organisation, and I hope it carries on, as it is a lovely event.

• Options
    Well done Tadworth AC, I sincerely hope this race is able to carry on, as you all know we have had to locate the Perch elsewhere for this year. I certainly got the impression there were mischief makers holding the race up in Ebbisham Lane.

Thanks to all the great marshalls image It's always a great way to start the year, blows away the cobwebs and a reminder that there's been too much Christmas pud eaten once again!
  • Options

Good race and great way to start 2011 and get rid of the Christmas cobwebs (too many mince pies!).  I caught the 4 horses on the first lap too and my initial reaction was perhaps the riders weren't aware of the race, but based on the quotes above it seems like they were!!  I know the organisers don't have an easy task in trying to appease the locals (read the pre race notes), but for 1 -2 hours a year I would have hoped the horse riders could have had a little more consideration - horses can cause some real damage, especially when they are frightened/startled (I saw one destroy the back of a Ford Capri once - I'm showing my age now). 

However, the race was fantastically organised (plenty of marshalls, clear signs, water stations, WCs and good parking) and the course was certainly challenging and made it a more enjoyable experience.  Even the mud for us more traditional road runners made it a better experience.  The results are even already up on the website.

Well done, I certainly will return in the future.

• Options

Fantastic race again - couldn't have asked for a better day - if those horse riders were causing mischief I think it rather backfired on the girl at the back as she looked scared to death !!  Still better than the women on a horse the other year who was hitting out with her whip !!!

Fab marshalls and I got a lovely hug at the end from my massage lady who also took my chip off.

See you all next year

• Options
    I agree - the mud was fab, the paths glorious....just those bloody horse riders. We often encounter problems with them. I do hope it was not a deliberate strategy to hold us up. ARGH

• Options

I was just looking in the Ratings section, and there was this one from Nicola Ansley

In short: I found this quite a dull run which is disappointing for my first race.
    In full: Not a huge number of competitors, Tarmac cycle path track.

There were over 500 finishers, and I don't recall seeing a Tarmac cycle path track anywhere!  What race was she running? image

• Options

As Cheerful Dave says the Race Director goes to some considerable trouble to inform the local stables about the race. Without being judgemental let's just say it is disappointing that some riders choose to ignore our requests to keep the course clear between 10:30 and 11:30.

Thanks for all your kind comments about the marshalling - I can assure they all appreciate the feedback

• Options
    They were all very friendly - right from at HQ to out on the course. I tried to say thank you as I went but in case I didn't to everyone then...

THANKS

• Options
    Lillias   Sorry you didnt hear the starting horn.   It was a new one, it worked pretty well in my lounge this morning, and scared the daylights out of my neighbours dog, but it went off with what I call a burp, so had to press it quite hard for a second sound, must have been the cold, and the first time of use.   Thanks for all your comments, keep them coming.   Shame about the horse riders, hope it didnt cause too much of a problem.   What did you think about "The Towel" give away?
  • Options
    Ah we loved the towel. Be very useful!!

Don't worry about the horn thing - could just have been me. I am notorious for missing the start/being at the back. Must get my act together. Know it wasn't probably possible to get a loud speaker or something.

The horse rider thing was just weird, the way they were all there almost blocking the road. A lot of runners went on past and a couple of them then almost bolted off their riders. Lots of us then had to walk for a couple of minutes. There was only one rider I think the second loop. Annoying but I do think that is part of the risk when running on the Downs. Hopefully they just hadn't known there was a race rather than it be deliberate at all. Certainly annoying of them though.

This is such a gem of a race.

Oh and anyone looking for another friendly and well organised race try the Epsom Allsorts 5 miles in May (though I may be slightly biased). You must be a girl/woman/lady though.....
  • Options

Towel?  I'm using it as a scarf.  A sweatscarf, if you will.

Horns are never great in the cold, and if you use it early to warm it up you start a stampede.  A good referee-style whistle might be more reliable.

Actually I thought the best marshalls were in the car park at HQ. image

• Options

What did you think about "The Towel" give away?

ok, since you ask GoS, let's answer that - and help me out here everybody with the items/years - let's take a mo to review all the other give aways of the last decade.

2001 - white Tyvek top - relevance 9/10, quality 7/10,  fun factor 5/10 - left it on the sea wall at the Benfleet 15 image

2002 - ear muffs in black 'n' green merano wool with refelctive piping on the rim - very new romantic (not!) 5/10, 2/10, 8/10

2003 - feather boa in club colours (my memory may be playing up here) 0/10, 7/10, 10/10

2004 - towel - regulation size, viz. 2011 version which has got longer and thinner (sign of the times?) - 3/10, 6/10, 5/10

2005 - black gloves with the Taddy palm tree motif - 9/10, 3/10, 4/10

2006 - beanie wtTptm - 8/10, 5/10, 6/10

2007 - bum bag etc - 3/10, 3/10, -4/10 (yes minus)

2008 - shoe bag - 9/10, 7/10, 4/10

2009 - shot glass wtTptm - 2/10, 8/10, 9/10

2010 - can't remember, which only goes to prove my long term memory is sort of ok, but the short term is shot to blazes

2011 - golf towel - 3/10, 7/10, 9/10 (big 'anky innit?!)

Has to be said, the Taddy 10 momento sub committee has tried very hard over the years and come up with something different each time. I've got 200 medals in my bottom drawer and certainly don't want yet another bit of tin, or shapeless white T shirt.

Rock on, GoS!

• Options
    2010 was a hi-vis T shirt which has been a staple of my winter running wardrobe ever since
  • Options

Hey! cfb that's nice. Not evryone was so complimentary about those

• Options

Snoop Dogg - impressive record of participating........

Chillies - you're right....... 2010 was the first time I did the race, and the momento was a high-viz vest that I regularly wear over a long-sleeved top to make myself more visible....

I agree with all who vote against medals, but I'm not sure I'll get that much use of the towel - and I personally can't get enough tops, gloves, beanies, buffs, etc.... to run in, and I always enjoy sipping a glass of whisky from a glass earned on a run.

So my score for the towel would be 5/10..... better than a medal, but not as good as last year's vest.

• Options
    Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

Nice event - shame about the horses BUT it did give me a negative split (& if you do such things a course PB) so chasing off to quickly at the start may actually be a bad thing image I do agree I don`t think it was the 4th rider`s idea to go down the track when we were there - she did look very, very nervous.

I have a 2010 Hi-Viz vest in the boot of my car - very handy. I could not remember the 2009 memonto - I must have it around here somewhere....... To me I like that is not a medal or a t-shirt as it makes Tadworth 10 stand out a bit more to other races - long may it continue.

Big thanks to the marshals out on the course & to Tadworth AC for another fine day.

• Options
    My favourites were the beanie (wore it this morning!) and the gloves (pinched by my son for his paper round and lost image ) Anyway he'll be old enough next year to run it himself and not pinch my race mementoes. Anyone any good at getting teenagers out of bed?

• Options
    Stephen R wrote (see)

I was just looking in the Ratings section, and there was this one from Nicola Ansley

In short: I found this quite a dull run which is disappointing for my first race.
    In full: Not a huge number of competitors, Tarmac cycle path track.

There were over 500 finishers, and I don't recall seeing a Tarmac cycle path track anywhere!  What race was she running? image

From the looks of things, she was running the Kent Christmas Cracker 5 mile race in December, which is on cycle path and had 76 finishers.  She's written a review of that one, also describing it as dull and her first race.  That review was submitted after her Tad 10 one which I think was submitted by mistake (she's not listed in the results) and I've reported it as such.
  • Options

Its nice you have time on your hands Stephen to comment, as has clearly been noticed I did make a mistake  and write a review for the wrong race.  I find it unproductive of people who reduce themselves to making unhelpful and sarcastic comments such  as yourself.  I really do wish I had the amount of time on my hands that you seem to have on yours to make these type of comments.

Nicola Ansley

• Options

"TADWORTH TEN 2012"

"DATE ANNOUNCED MONDAY 2nd JANUARY 2012 at 1PM"

Here we go again folks, we are up and running for Olympic Year. Note the new day and later time.

The later time of the start is because the horses are training on Epsom Downs, and we can not start with race horses about .  So an early race to start your running year.

• Options