Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options

Thanks Martin - I'll have a look at that.

• Options
    The Accidental Runner wrote (see)

Thanks Martin - I'll have a look at that.

Ditto

Really struggling to motivate myself at the moment. It happens when I first return to work but it is worse this time as only run I can think about is Sunday. Remember to enjoy it.image

• Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

Speedy - Are you caffeine depleting again this week?  A bet that won't help your mood with all of that travelling image.

• Options
    I'll be having my one caffeinated drink of the day on the train. My last one till Sunday morning image
  • Options
    I've just had my last coffee/tea too now. Water/Juice or energy drink all the way from now on!
  • Options
    Someone's birthday at work, do Muffin/Cookies and Sausage Rolls count for Carbo-loading?!?

Off to the Expo this arvo. will check out any offers I see and post back
  • Options

I have three cups of tea a day normally, sometimes a coffee which may or may not replace a tea - about three years ago I tried to give up caffeine for a week - on the second day I had headaches on and off, on the third day I had really bad headache and nausea, headeaches next few days then the neausea and extreme headache again on about day 6 - had a cup of tea and felt great within half an hour ... guess I'll have to live with the addfiction!

CC/Steve - why no caffeine until Sunday? 

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Have booked megabus for Sunday - Sheff to London & back, giving me a 6 hour window to view the glory -it will be, won't it - of you all from the other side of the barriers after a dozen LM's from the painful side; so a nice printable list of names, colours, numbers, Minni, would be great.

Speaking of the painful side, look whose ugly fizzog is on the BBC Athletics page (top right), with the link to the LM Opening Film. Dog knows why, but that's me, folks (also in the film, lumbering along, bright yellow vest, "Steel" on front . . . .

Good luck to all on Sun - hope to be able to spot & cheer a few .  

Cheers

• Options

Just back from a visit to Hilda my masseuse/physio, whom I have now elevated from "angel" to "goddess" status. Gave me a good seeing-toimage and unconditionally declared me fit and well for Sunday.

Pressies bought, suitcase packed - just have to make my sandwiches and take slices of cakeimage. I'm not going to get too scientific about this - I'll eat a bit more than usual, and try to include more pasta/rice/potatoes/wheat/oats/glucose than I would normally, which is quite a lot anyway.

XPS - thanks for the heads up on the cheapies - I'm going first thing Friday so hopefully there should be something left.

Safe journey everyone, and see you there!!!!

• Options
    efc-colefc-col ✭✭✭

Birch nice one, fame at last,made me a little more nervous thanks....image

What you wise and experience peeps have the night before? i normally have baked potato with some pasta not a large portion tho...

may  try laying off the coffee and see what happens...

thanks Minni for your tidying up.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Ditto Birch's request; assuming leg continues to recover, I will declare myself fit to be an official thread supporter (friend and cousin are both running, so I always to watch).  Nice printable list please, Minni so I can C+P into word! image
  • Options
    Simon - caffeine is ergogenic, but only effective if you deplete and load. Think how good you felt after that one cup of tea. Posting on phone now so can't give full science.
  • Options

Fred Member

Blue:

MsE - 17454 - blue start in a British Heart Foundation Heart Runners red top (with Wendy on the front and For Dad on back).
    Race Jase - 736 - Blue start.
    SteveC1975 - 23156 - Blue start
    Ormeski - 17655 - Blue start. Yellow Marie Curie vest with 'Pete' on the front.

Red FGFA:
    XPS Red FGFA start (31xxx) - Easingwold RC blue vest 2 green hoops
    AfE - 32439 - FGFA start, Ilkley H vest (red/green stripe) - no coach
    MartinH - 32944 - FGFA Red start, Wearing purple (picture as posted a few pages ago).
    SBD - 33319 - Red FGFA, Blue vest with smiley clown (RTCW)
    RFJ - 31356 Red FGFA Andover AC vest (akin to tescos carrier bag, red shorts / fetch buff
    Ant - (Don't know number yet- it's in England) White vest wirh "Ant" on it in blue; blue shorts.

Green:
    CC2 Speedy Goth - Green GFA (can't remember my number!)
    Sal - 70793, Green GFA - I will look out for you Speedy as we will probably be running similar pace
    Minni - 29600. Green and purple vest with Minni on front and back (somehow).  Blonde plai

• Options
    Nooooo, I'm on the train and the woman next to me is coughing and I can hear sniffling and nose blowing nearby. The train is jam packed, every seat reserved. Will attempt not to breath for the next 2 hours.
  • Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

LOL Speedy.  Wait until you hit the tube image.  Can't you ask a Japanese tourist if you can have one of their face masks?   Either that or just spray the air with First-Defence every 20 seconds!!!

Col - Whatever you eat the night before make sure it is something that will agree with your stomach. 

We always go to a little Italian restaurant in Blackheath as they do some lovely pasta dishes and the portions are not too big.  Always packed though with everyone staying local wanting the same stuff.

• Options

CC2 - can you get on another carriage?!!

Right I'll have no more caffeine today, a weak cuppa tomorrow morning then nothing till Sunday morning. Can you get coffees  in Greenwich Park before the start - could go for a double espresso image .... or just make a strong coffee before and stick in a small plastic drinks bottle and have it cold nearer the start.

• Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

It's all beginning to feel a bit more real now.  Hope everyone has sorted out those last minute niggles Hilda-style.

I'm working my way down my Carboloading spreadsheet.  Will aim for 720g CHO today and tomorrow and then something a bit less on Saturday.  Up to 290g alreadyimage

Fred Member

Blue:

MsE - 17454 - blue start in a British Heart Foundation Heart Runners red top (with Wendy on the front and For Dad on back).
    Race Jase - 736 - Blue start.
    SteveC1975 - 23156 - Blue start
    Ormeski - 17655 - Blue start. Yellow Marie Curie vest with 'Pete' on the front.

Red FGFA:
    XPS Red FGFA start (31xxx) - Easingwold RC blue vest 2 green hoops
    AfE - 32439 - FGFA start, Ilkley H vest (red/green stripe) - no coach
    MartinH - 32944 - FGFA Red start, Wearing purple (picture as posted a few pages ago).
    SBD - 33319 - Blue vest with smiley clown & "Adrian" on front, Round Table Children's Wish (RTCW)
    RFJ - 31356 Red FGFA Andover AC vest (akin to tescos carrier bag, red shorts / fetch buff
    Ant - (Don't know number yet- it's in England) White vest wirh "Ant" on it in blue; blue shorts.

Green:
    CC2 Speedy Goth - Green GFA (can't remember my number!)
    Sal - 70793, Green GFA - I will look out for you Speedy as we will probably be running similar pace
    Minni - 29600. Green and purple vest with Minni on front and back (somehow).  Blonde plai

• Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

The forecast is still looking on the warm side.  Has anyone run a Marathon in hot conditions wearing a hat?  What's the thoughts about the pros and cons of this?

Obviously, sun glasses (a la Scooby) look cool but I'm not used to running in them and there's no time to practise.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure how you are all measuring the carbs you eat? I'm also fearful of gaining weight so not eating more than usual. Still drinking about 10 coffees a day- can't grasp the science as to why that is bad. Not as bad as the beer to be drunk on the boys night out tonight.....worse still they are all runners so I fear the worst.. 
  • Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

SBD - LOL.  I thought I was the only person obsessive enough to have a carb-loading spreadsheet image.

286g eaten/drank so far out of 712g today.  Same again tomorrow then about 600g for Saturday, most of it consumed before 2pm followed by only fluids, a couple of snacks and small evening meal.

• Options
    Martin, I'll bring my carb loading BOOK to Chandos. We can all be sad CHO stattos together!
  • Options

I am also attempting to carboload! Bloody hard though, I'm only on about 160g so far today and if you're meant to take 10g/kg I need 500...  that isn't going to happen! I reckon I may make 350g today and then by Saturday never want to see any granola cereal again!

If only pints of cider were acceptable pre marathon nutrition!!

• Options

Just got comments of disbelief/ jealousy about the portion of tuna pasta I had for lunch, I will be hitting the malt loaf later before more pasta this evening. I will still fall short of the 450g I am supposed to need but I plan to get 400g today, Fri and then follow similar plans as others for big pasta lunch Sat before lighter evening meal.

I will have my pre race beer (just 1) on Sat evening, to calm the nerves image

• Options

Starting to get proper nervous for sunday and I won't even be running this year - isn't it amazing how much buzz the event supplies!

dm1974 wrote (see)

quick question for the P&D acolytes on here. - i have until now followed RW plans but am moving on to P&D from this point onwards.  i was looking at the 55-70 miles per week plan but there is precious little on how this reflects on race times - would the 55-70 be appropriate for aiming at getting a GFA for VLM 2012 in an autumn mara?

Just noticed this - I converted a 3:44 PB to a 3:17PB last year by following P&D18wk55-70. It's quite a touch plan as there are not many short runs in it (only a couple of doubles) but well worth it for the returns.

But as has already been said - GFA in autumn mara is a thing of the past... I'm in the same ballot boat as you now having had to pull out of Brighton. I was hoping for GFA at Abingdon, now just going to smash it anyway and hope for the ballot.

Amy Tanner wrote (see)

I am also attempting to carboload! Bloody hard though, I'm only on about 160g so far today and if you're meant to take 10g/kg I need 500...  that isn't going to happen! I reckon I may make 350g today and then by Saturday never want to see any granola cereal again!

If only pints of cider were acceptable pre marathon nutrition!!

Cider - if only. Sports drinks are the way forward - SIS are my prefered variety. And Jaffa cakes.

• Options

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/165425/Gallery/carbload.jpg

this was my Saturday eating last year pre-race...Notice the jelly beans.....
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Amy & Sal - agree with FINgers re the SIS drinks - PSP22 energy is the one -

PSP22 is made from a very high specification maltodextrin, which is over 98% glucose polymers. This means that PSP22 exerts a very low osmotic pressure even at high concentrations. It is therefore very light on the stomach and very easy to drink. PSP22 has become the mainstay of many athletes and sports peoples nutritional strategy, it can be used to help load up prior to events .

Removes the need to stuff yourself to the gills with pasta, and wasting energy worrying about grams per KG of bodyweight intake .

• Options

thanks all for the eating insights image

is PSP22 easy to get hold of (could try a bottle Friday/Saturday) ?

• Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

Birch - Do you work for SIS or have you just copied that from the side of a bottle? image

Agree with the principle though.....sports drinks & fruit juices all count towards the carbs.  105g in a litre of cherry juice and 145g for a malt loaf.  It doesn't have to be masses of food.

Speedy - I have always wondered why Mrs H thinks that all runners are boring....reading back it now all makes sense image

• Options
    simonx98 wrote (see)

thanks all for the eating insights image

is PSP22 easy to get hold of (could try a bottle Friday/Saturday) ?

It comes in powder form and you have to make it up. The only supermarket that I have found it in is Asda, usually at a good cut down price...