Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Martin - ha ha - no I don't work for SIS !  Yes I did copy it  - you clearly saw the prose differed from my usual fine literary style image . . .   
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Well done on the video appearance Birch - how much do you get for the image rightsimage

I'm including 4 bottles of LS in my 720g CHO - I'm not sure I could face the PSP22 drink so I'm going to have to carry on with the rice stuffing.  Needed to get a bit of exercise to encourage this food consumption - so 30mins swimming with some stretching just complete followed by a bowl of rice & tuna with a tomatoe sauce washed down with a bottle of LS.  That brings me nicely to 452g CHO for the dayimage

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

SBD - good to see you thinking "loading" and not "injury" image 

Getting excited myself, now, and I'm not even running the thing ! 

• Options

Thanks for the advice everyone image, I was already planning on visiting the SIS stand at the expo tomorrow eve so will get some energy drink stuff and some more gels. Currently drinking lucozade but at only 32g/bottle it isn't that great and I've got onelot of SIS electrolyte drinks powder left! Not good planning!

Might have to stop off for a maltloaf on the way home!  Hope my teeth don't start falling out! Love the pic  FINgers!

• Options

Word of caution to all those looking at new drinks and food: if you haven't tried it before, it may not be best to do so at this time: stick to what you know.

Did my last LSR today, 21.23 miles from Marlow to Henley on the towpath and back again. 2:48 on the feet at an average pace of 7:54. felt fine at the end, especially after carbo replinishing at the local brewery. I think that I have done everything I can now.

Since 17 Feb (13 weeks pre taper, 91 days)
    73 runs and 688 miles so 53 miles per week.
    5 longest runs are 19, 20, 20, 20 and 21 so total 100 miles.
    PBs for half marathon (82:15) and 5k (18:26)
    21 runs of half distance / effort or longer.

Taper for me starts now as it is my Dad's 75th birthday party so 4 days off completely. All the best to those running on Sunday as I won't be online until Monday.

• Options
    Fingers - how many jelly beans?! just notice the tall tube at the back!
  • Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭
    Birch wrote (see)
    Martin - ha ha - no I don't work for SIS !  Yes I did copy it  - you clearly saw the prose differed from my usual fine literary style image . . .   

It was easy to tell....the SIS prose had none of your usual parental pride image.

Nice mileage PMJ.  All looking good for you.  Now just don't do too much and take all of the advice that will be coming your way once the majority of us have completed our marathons and you still have yours to look forward to!!!

Wise words also on the "don't try anything new at this stage"

• Options
    simonx98 wrote (see)
    Fingers - how many jelly beans?! just notice the tall tube at the back!
    Alot. image From memory 750g...
  • Options
    Blimey, you lot can talk. Already over 3 pages of messages just today... and I haven't been on since Sunday! Has no-one other than me been working today, or do you have really lax jobs where you can post during the day image

A bit late, but KR, sorry to hear Brighton didn't work out as planned. Use the training and go and smash that time at an autumn run instead.

SBD Good to hear that you'll be toeing the startline after all on Sunday.

Carb-loading is always one of the more enjoyable part about tapering. Taperchondria the downside. Hope everyone's niggles are starting to clear now. Stay off the feet as much as possible from now til Sunday.

I fly off to Boston tomorrow morning and have no idea what kind of internet connection I'll get over there (probably v.expensive via a mobile). I'm then on holiday for 2 weeks so don't know if I'll get to post on here too often. My result will be on Facebook and Twitter though, so feel free to post it here image Perhaps we should try to get "#AVIT" trending on Twitter (for those who know what that means!)

I'd like to wish everyone racing on Sunday, good luck. I hope there are many new members of the sub-3.15 (and even sub-3.00) club by around 12.25 on Sunday afternoon image

A V I T !
  • Options
    Race JaseRace Jase ✭✭✭

SBD- awesome news that you're back on the start line. Hopefully see you in Chandos, I dont think we've ever had a conversation despite bumping into each other a couple of times at races.

Birch awesome that you're in that vid. Must be cause you're a gritty lad built from Steel. You epitomise what the marathon is about. Although your poem was proper soft. It had me and the wife blubbing into our tea the other night! image

ON best of luck in Boston. I will make it to that one, one day.....

Carb loading - eating shit loads. To be honest, I'm happy that I'll be doing a lot of my third most favourite hobby for the next couple of days. image

Just been out for my penultimate run before Sunday. 6 miles easy but with one at MP finsihing on The Mall. MP felt good, I was really holidng it back. This Turbo Diesel is just about ready to rolll......

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Hmm. It is all I can manage to feed my kids and the dog and try to get dinner ready for MrE without worrying about the extra carbs I am meant to be consuming. Am hoping this won't mean Sunday is a disaster for me... Was sort of thinking of getting my LSR head on and eating and resting (as far as is possible with my hectic family) the way I did when facing a 20 miler at the weekend.

• Options
    OsloNeil wrote (see)
     Perhaps we should try to get "#AVIT" trending on Twitter

#AVIT  ? or #KINAVIT ?

I seem to remember a certain 3:15 fredder had that written on his hand at the start last year!.....

• Options
    osloNeil

At 12:25 on Sunday, if we’ve finished then that will be a sub 2:40! RaceJase hopefully, but I don’t expect too many others here.

I would expect a good half dozen home by 12:45 and a flood of us “chips off” before the 1pm chime from Big Ben.
  • Options

Fred Member

Blue:

MsE - 17454 - blue start in a British Heart Foundation Heart Runners red top (with Wendy on the front and For Dad on back).
    Race Jase - 736 - Blue start.
    SteveC1975 - 23156 - Blue start
    Ormeski - 17655 - Blue start. Yellow Marie Curie vest with 'Pete' on the front.

Just Running - 2177 - Blue Start (pen 3)

Red FGFA:
    XPS Red FGFA start (31xxx) - Easingwold RC blue vest 2 green hoops
    AfE - 32439 - FGFA start, Ilkley H vest (red/green stripe) - no coach
    MartinH - 32944 - FGFA Red start, Wearing purple (picture as posted a few pages ago).
    SBD - 33319 - Blue vest with smiley clown & "Adrian" on front, Round Table Children's Wish (RTCW)
    RFJ - 31356 Red FGFA Andover AC vest (akin to tescos carrier bag, red shorts / fetch buff
    Ant - (Don't know number yet- it's in England) White vest wirh "Ant" on it in blue; blue shorts.

Green:
    CC2 Speedy Goth - Green GFA (can't remember my number!)
    Sal - 70793, Green GFA - I will look out for you Speedy as we will probably be running similar pace
    Minni - 29600. Green and purple vest with Minni on front and back (somehow).  Blonde plai

Sorry Minni - I seemed to have messed the list's formatting.

Thanks for the advice Martin, going to the Expo actually made me feel better! 3:12 is still the target.

Great news SBD, hope the ankle behaves it self a you make your revised goal.

Looking good then RJ, with MP feeling so comfortable? There is def something about running down the mall that makes running feel good, looking forward to that feeling on Sunday.

ON - Good luck at Boston!

Done my last two runs - 5 yesterday with two @ MP and 4 today at a nice easy pace. Had a final massage all good. Done a lot of eating today: Cereal, bagel, banana & OJ for breakfast, cereal bar & baked crisps for a snack and then sweet potato, beans & yogurt for lunch...... feeling full. Brown rice and veggie chilli for tea and then a banana and yogurt before bed. Same again tomorrow! Fingers - half a tonne of Jelly Beans seems more apealing!

• Options
    XPS My bad. Thought start time was 09.00 for some reason. Oops

FINgers I've started tweeting with #avit and #kinavit so we'll see how it goes

Now - really must start packing. That pile of clothes isn't going to put itself in the suitcase
  • Options
    snack-a-jacks 17g (77.5%) carb, 1.5g protein, 1.6g fat per 22g packet
  • Options
    Pen and pacer advice

Pens
    You will know by now that main Red & Blue starts are penned 1-9, and you are allocated according to your predicted time / results provided on application form.
    Pen 1 at the front.
    Pen 9 at the rear.
    You will no doubt be in a state of moderate panic before Expo (what pen am I in?), during Expo (where can I discuss this allocation please?) and after Expo (oh goodness my race plan is now officially shot).
    I’ve been in pen 4, 3,2 and FGFA1 in successive Londons. Time to pass start line was 90 / 60 / 8 / 3 secs respectively. Congestion from pen 4 was moderate (bit of stop-start and pavement hopping for first 2-3 miles). FGFA was clear from the start…
    In general terms:
    Pen 1 = sub 3 and very few are in it
    Pen 2 = sub 3:15
    Pen 3 = sub 3:30
    Pen 4 = 3:45 etc
    If you put “3:15” you’re likely in pen 3. “3:14” is likely pen 2. Etc.
    Frankly; don’t sweat it. When the pen tapes come down at 9:30 there’s a good surge towards the start line, and the sneaky can make up a fair bit of space towards the front if they’re canny.
    Green start has fewer pens. Celebs first, then a couple of speed-graded pens. No real congestion , after you’ve bludgeoned celebs aside in the first 200m.
    Red has Fast GFA in front of the “Red pen 1”. It’s where it’s at. Everyone there will have done 2:45 to 3:14 in the last 2 years, so there’s not quite the same atmosphere and first-time chancers. There will be lots of the sub-3 and 3:15 forums people though, and a few “trains” forming amongst these.

Pacers
    Have a look at the RW pacer info. There’s 2:45, 3:00, 3:30, 4:00, 4:30 etc. They tend to start off at the back of the relevant pens and hold a small sign on a stick and a “pacer” tshirt.
    They are normally pretty good at level pacing all the way round, but have been known to try and make up for slow starts by injecting early pace. They also attract large following packs (at least in the early stage, before fatigue whittles the numbers right down).
    Beware:
    1. Tangling with the following packs.
    2. Starting ahead of them will mean your total time will be greater, and you might just miss your time target if you follow them to the bitter end
    3. If in doubt, run your own race rather than theirs.
  • Options
    Oops.
    Forgot to add:

"changing your pen".

You used to be able to try and get a pen promotion if you were patently mis-penned. They were pretty strict, but apparently sometimes allowed upgrades if you could prove your recent performances (HM, M) were worthy of much better place.

That was when the pen numbering was a round small sticker attached to your race number (apparently there was a small but vital black market in laser-printed stickers on a DIY basis...)

For the last couple of years this has been superceded by the pen no being printed on to your race no. Hence unless they can re-print your whole race no at the Expo, I very much doubt you can blag any advancement from that which you have been allocated.

Sorry.
  • Options
    OsloNeil wrote (see)
     FINgers I've started tweeting with #avit and #kinavit so we'll see how it goes

A quick search for #kinavit and you have a new follower...

• Options

Excellent post XPS - thanks for the info.

Another question - how crowded is it when the 3 starts merge?

• Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Really useful post XPS.  So was there only one FGFA pen last year? 
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Am loving the clarity and conciseness of XPS's instructions! In the midst of my inner turmoil and panic it is strangely reassuring in a way that only internet strangers can be image

New clothes - would a new visor be a silly new garment to wear on Sunday? Am thinking of replacing sunnies with said visor which will help keep sun/rain out of eyes and pony tail up. Visors cannot possibly chafe can they now.

Did I mention I have a bed in a house on Shooters Hill on Saturday night which I think is right by the Blue Start! Wey hey hey! Does that mean I can circumvent the whole portaloo experience and just pop out to the start line as soon as I have lobbed my bag into the bag drop?
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Fred Member

Blue:

MsE - 17454 - blue start in a British Heart Foundation Heart Runners red top (with Wendy on the front and For Dad on back).
    Race Jase - 736 - Blue start.
    SteveC1975 - 23156 - Blue start
    Ormeski - 17655 - Blue start. Yellow Marie Curie vest with 'Pete' on the front.
    Just Running - 2177 - Blue Start (pen 3)

Red FGFA:
    XPS Red FGFA start (31xxx) - Easingwold RC blue vest 2 green hoops
    AfE - 32439 - FGFA start, Ilkley H vest (red/green stripe) - no coach
    MartinH - 32944 - FGFA Red start, Wearing purple (picture as posted a few pages ago).
    SBD - 33319 - Blue vest with smiley clown & "Adrian" on front, Round Table Children's Wish (RTCW)
    RFJ - 31356 Red FGFA Andover AC vest (akin to tescos carrier bag, red shorts / fetch buff
    Ant - (Don't know number yet- it's in England) White vest wirh "Ant" on it in blue; blue shorts.

Green:
    CC2 Speedy Goth - Green GFA (can't remember my number!)
    Sal - 70793, Green GFA - I will look out for you Speedy as we will probably be running similar pace
    Minni - 29600. Green and purple vest with Minni on front and back (somehow).  Blonde plai

• Options
    2 FGFA pens last year. Pen 1 for sub 3 and pen 2 for 3-3:15. Not too many people though.
  • Options
    MsE wrote (see)
    Does that mean I can circumvent the whole portaloo experience and just pop out to the start line as soon as I have lobbed my bag into the bag drop?
    I've heard it called some things in my time but never that image
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Will nobody know what I mean unless I refer to it as the Baggage Truck then?
  • Options

XPS Great post again.

I so wish I was doing this with you all, I will be there in spirit.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/492865/Gallery/70_Close_up.jpg

Post the image for three reasons;

1) I look cool
    2) The shades keep the sun out, I find I need a cap as well to keep the sweat out
    3) When you are struggling, think "at least I am not wearing lime green socks"

• Options
    Scooby: Nice pic, but blimey that is a big shoe you are following there!
  • Options
    DomFDomF ✭✭✭
    Just been down the Expo, starting to get busy as I left. Plenty of piles of (germ contaminated no doubt) free nutrition bar samples. Lots of "wear tested" trainers on sale, frankly they all looked a bit dirty and minging, like they'd done a good 50 miles in the mud.

More importantly, London Pride still in the goodie bag, as well as a Mars bar...

Pen 1 Blue start for me.

XPS Legendary tips and know-how.

Up to about 250 grams of carbs today and struggling, to be honest, I don't eat a lot of them generally, certainly nowhere near these quantities. Given that I've got through the training without loading in particular, and barely fuelling even on really long runs. Do I NEED to be eating 750g a day for 2 days?

• Options
    DomFDomF ✭✭✭
    PS.

<font size="72"><font color="blue">GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!</font>