Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options

I've just had a similar injury scare Selbs hopefully you've dodged it. I noticed a pain just above my ankle on the inside whilst walking between visting family. It did hurt a bit on my Christmas day 6mi recovery run so I've iced it three or 4 times and felt next to nothing for todays 8mi done at a briskish pace with 10x100m strides thrown in....fingers crossed.

• Options
    Lev_Lev_ ✭✭✭
    Congrats to the park runners.

Jools, how's the recovery?

Fingers crossed re the twinges for selbs and Mr Boat. Are you aiming for particular races?

OM - agree with the others. If you build up the endurance, you should be able to go sub 3 no problem. For what it's worth, you're starting from a speedier base than I did (ran 2:51 at the end of September in Berlin, which was my first marathon, after building from probably a 30/35 mile per week base and a 1:25 in a half marathon in June - looking at my training, I got 6 20 milers in there).

A good few days. Followed up the xmas eve 18 with the MP 13.1 with 10 gentle miles on xmas day (helping me feel a lot better about the copious consumption); 12 miles on boxing day including 10k tempo in 34:30 (i.e 5:34 pace) - encouraging as I've been focusing on endurance not speed but this matched my best 10k training time when I was building to the Great South Run (have never raced a 10k); and then 15m today, including 8 slightly quicker ones at around 6:30 pace. All things being well, on track for 80-85 miles this week, which will be my highest mileage week ever.

On which note, a quick question. I've always taken a full rest day every week (generally on a Friday, before doing a long run on a Saturday and recovery on a Sunday). I'm following a Pfitzinger schedule which peaks at 87m and have so far cut a few miles off by taking my rest day but upping a couple of the runs by a mile. Does anyone here run 7 days a week? Would it be better to keep the weekly mileage in the region of 75-85 to have the extra day running a 7 or 8 mile recovery/gen aerobic (i.e. without adding extra miles to mid-week runs to make them 16 instead of 15 and 14 instead of 13) or to keep my rest day and have a slightly smaller overall mileage? I've so far been lucky with injury and would be up for adding the extra miles as I'd like to push as close to 2:40 as possible in Rome but I just wanted to sound people out about their experiences of running 7 days a week...

Cheers

Lev
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Good miles from Wardi and Gobi

Selbs - what a comeback run ! 21.5M to test out a sore leg. Looks like its cured !

MrB - hope you have caught yours in the bud too

Lev - more impressive fast training running. Dont burn yourself out though !

sounds like a few bodies are groaning at the upping of frequency and miles, keep it easy paced and they should adapt pretty soon.

I felt ropey during my Xmas eve 16M and y'days 13M, and today when I started my turbo session my HR was very low. I nearly sacked it after 20mins, 45 min and 60 mins but just took it a bit easier and ground out the targetted 90mins. If I break the seal on never cutting turbo sessions short then I'd be on a slippery slope. 

• Options

TR: Maybe  another prompt sign for the garage door there.

Lev: I'm following this one for the third time now. I think that I'm better with the easy recovery 6mi than I am if I have a rest day. I feel the heavy legged feeling will be there for my next run whatever, so I'd rather run that feeling off during an easy run rather than have it waiting for me on my next 'proper' effort. Only missed a few days last time due to the odd injury scare.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Lev - I have always run 6/7 days a week and taken a non running day when I think I need one. I did use to make myself rest when I got to about 3 weeks but as is known here I nearly always run easy.

Spent 35 minutes on my CX bike this evening while my daughter used an MtB, great laugh indeed. I think she is better offroad than Rach.

TR - not sure about hanging it out I would probably have cut the session. Sometimes just not worth it.
  • Options
    my fastest marathon was Chester this year 3h44 beating last years time by 15 mins
  • Options
    Recovery is going ok; calves are much looser than they were and quads are getting there. Off for a walk in a mo after a day in the car visiting relatives.

Lev: I need a recovery day at least once a fortnight. I try and get away without and I get crocked. But then again I creak over 70mpw so I'm not a mega-miles person!
  • Options

Evening all.

Impressed by all the training taking place early doors, the only training I do at those times is for my certificate of advanced studies in nappyology. I managed my first longish run of the campaign today, 16M at 7:45ish pace. As a jump up from 10M it went smoother than expected.

This makes a current streak of 12 days which is good by my (low) standards.

HR: nice to see you again and glad to see you enjoying the cycling. Are you officially retired as a runner then, or is there a marathon (or even a 5k) at the end of the tunnel?

selbs: good long run, at this rate you'll have a hatful of 20 milers by April.

SL: wow, what are you aiming for at London?

• Options

Joolskultra, absolutely awesome run with the 3 day massive.

Marigold's Christmas Day marathon also blew me away, especially on the back of an awesome week's training.

Lev_, think the rest per week thing is a personal matter, I'd try and see which works out for you. BTW, if you're able to run 13.1M @ MP this far out from London then you're underestimating your marathon race pace by 15-30 sec/mile.

Selbs & MrB, hope the niggles clear up.

HR - nice bike

SL - good lord man, 20M @ <= 5:50 m/m has Canova predicting something closer to 2:20 than 2:30. Personally, I'd be willing to put cash on you crushing 2:25.

Barnsley - how's it going? Hope you and Hilly are well. Will you be at Dewsbury in 2012?

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Gobi - maybe, but I cant start reducing turbos sessions, or walking up that hill near me, or walking in races, or dropping out...................them's the rules ! 

Pisc - nice jump up there, I like doing that sort of thing myself.

Jools - are you going to do a marathon soon off those miles ?

marmite - your comment about Marigold got my interest up, so I had a look at his bloggy thing...............excellent base miles, 2x17, 3x12, a 26.2 and a 9...........................the modern day runner should be too busy doing core work, 4M recovery runs, strides to perfect their gait and wondering which part of their foot they should run on to spend time running massive base miles......................just ask Jonesy or Deek................whats Marigold trying to do embarass the running community ?  

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    TR - I forgot given I walk up hills, reduce sessions and drop out of races :¬)

December - 8 x 10.5 miles 3 x 12 miles 2 x 26.2

Next 10.5 is tomorrow morning
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Gobi - ha ha, they are my rules not general ones  ! I would reduce a run if I needed to or drop out if I was injured. Good base miles. I should get to somewhere around 170ish for the month by Saturday. ready for a few months of 200+.
  • Options
    Morning all

Pisc, Marmite - no real target yet but 2.25 is at the back of my mind.

Marmite - How's the recovery going?

Lev - I'm planning on 1 rest day every month, at the back end of my "down" week.

Impressed by marigolds 26.2 on Christmas day, I managed a meagre 4, the wife would have cut the jacobs off if I stayed out any longer.
  • Options
    Just popping in to say well done to jools both on the fund raising front and in the running. I hope the high mileage translates next year into a much deserved sub 3. Certainly 26 miles won't seem quite so far in future.

Wardi not lost my mojo to train. I did 7.5 hours running over the festive four days with a rare 3 hour stint on Christmas Eve. I must have covered around 50 miles. Surprisingly no cramp and I felt pretty good.

Did make me think briefly about moving up to an ultra, but I came to my senses eventually.

Dull

• Options

Welcome back Dull, glad you had a good Christmas there.

Coo SL, best of luck with your campaign.

I finished a rare (for me) 6-day streak on Mon with 10M @ 6:23/M (bit slower than my last MP, but felt like a pretty good tempo at current fitness); day off yesterday, and first official 20 of the campaign today: 20.1M @ 7:33/M. Felt distinctly sluggish in the middle, but I perked up a bit towards the end. So now I'm definitely training for "London 2012"...also saw a hare today, perhaps the first time ever. (That's a funny-looking little dog, I thought...)

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

SL - I keep the conflict out of it and take Christmas Day as a rest day, avoids conflict and its only a little bit of give after a lot of yearly take by me. Marigold hasnt got nippers though, so its a bit easier. Made me laugh when Mo Farah was interviewed and said he'd be doing a 10M on Christmas day instead of relaxing and is doing 120M/week, thats only an hour run on Christmas day (as a pro )  and ~12hrs/week total, being a pro is a doddle, he should try and juggle work/life/sport like some on here do (and run a few kids teams!).

Dull - dont think you'd be suited to ultra, did make me smile though.

14M more bagged at this end

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    CW - nice one, the campaign has begun. Got to make sure we all run VLM this yr, then we can all brag that we did London 2012 !
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    SL - awesome

Marigold - obsessive (if not a little impressive).

Hope both of you have a combined VLM time of somewhere near 4.40 - 4.45

Lev - running seven days a week is fine if you are used to it, and you are using at least one day as a proper recovery run from a hard / long session the day before. Can be counterproductive if you are doing it just for the sake of it. I do 8 -10 runs a week, but have been building up for years, and I do a lot of slower long miles too. Come to think of it, I should be a better runner, but can't have it all.

Did 2.5 hours today (perhaps about 22 miles), and felt pretty brisk the whole way. Will do a recovery 5 after the darts. Only saw one celeb out running on the way round - rugby player Joe Worsley.

• Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

celeb spotting.... i saw paul mccartney and his new/latest (probably not that new) squeeze near regents park/st johns wood on christmas day.  i wasn't running mind, just out for a walk with wife.

DanA - 22 miles in 2.5 hours.  that is a sharpish long run yourself! very sharpish, Barcelona marathon your next semi big race was it?

agree woudl be great to see combined SL and Marigold under 4:40 think that is do able.  as long as it isn't too windy or above 16C image

backed up my 21.5 with a very gentle 8 miles on the treadmill today.  Hip and knee quite sore - think in fact it might be the pesky ITB... so will be back on the foam roller tonight.  Hamstring is in one (small and frayed i guess) piece (just) and yeah TRit's an "interesting" way to test it out... i certainly couldnt' run at goal marathon pace on it for any distance though so i need to be careful, but running slower seems to be OK so i'll keep at that, for now.

• Options
    SL - Looks like the pressure is on mate - we better get our arses in gear image

Everyone getting excited? it's spring marathon training time!!

Dull - Come and join me for some Glos 50k action, I know it's only a "pretend" ultra but we've all got to start somewhere.....I'll be venturing into the unknown as soon as I get to 26.3.

TR - Is it my imagination or are you way ahead of schedule this year, knocking out a few long ones for Dec aren't you?

Nice to see marmite popping in, anyone seen Coro lately?
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Marigold - how hard are you planning to run Gloucester ?

Here in Sick House we have another morning off to allow extended sleep recovery. We feel better so training will happen later.

Jools - well done and happy to see you are recovering.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

selbs - sounds manageble, keep plugging away.

marigold - I will be getting excited when its time to stand up (and be counted). Coro was here a week or so back. Wouldnt like to say way ahead of schedule, but I think I'm ahead of where I usually am in long runs, frequency and I have a couple of Autumn 1/2 maras under my belt. Next week I start on the running doubles Mon/Wed/fri and so I am currently getting my legs used to running a bit further more regularly. I think i am in a better place than I was this time last year (or any other year), so I'll probably end up bagging a personal worse in April !

MtR - I know where I am, and I know how boy wOnDEr is doing, so how is the other one of the 3 muskateers doing ? Are you getting any training done ? do you have a plan for the New Year to balance training and work ?

Gobi - got the lurg ? lots of it about, I struggled a bit for a few days at the weekend/start of the week. 

90min turbo bagged, it seemed to take about 1/2 the time of Tuesdays 90min session, but I was cooking on gas today so it was mure enjoyable (if turbo can be enjoyable). Anyway 90min with middle 60min  at ~80% HR.

• Options

awesome TR. Just started to get a little worried about you, but no need I see.

I'm waiting in vain it seems for the rain to ease and the wind to die down. Looks like my long run will be indoorsimage

• Options
    yeh, I'm here. I try to have a quick scan of sub-3 every few days of so; I can't quite give up my fix! To be honest I don't feel like I warrant posting on here any more; my (lack) of training is nothing to write home about - lucky to hit 40M a week. 3 days off over Christmas and too much snacking. Christmas is time for the kids rather than my running.

I'm totally blown away by the training/running you guys are doing.

Marigold - I saw your tweet about the Christmas day sub-3, it made me laugh!! Such great mileage....

Jools - also been following your exploits, wonderful stuff. Well done

Really pleased to see Gobi the 'runner' back in action again.

Marmite - good to hear from you again!!

SL - agree, 2:25 looks more likely off that sort of run.

On Christmas Eve I got an email asking me to speak at a Space Weather conference in Boulder.....at 8am 23rd April!!! Sigh. Might be able to do it (thanks Google!)....pressure will be on to finish quickly (might have to miss the Red Lion, or maybe just 1 pint), head over to Heathrow for 5pm flight to Washington, 10pm connecting flight to Denver and then a 90 min cab ride. Reckon I can get to the hotel by 2am local (9am UK), few hours sleep and then stand-up and speak. Hmmmm....how much do I want to have a stab at that V40 prize?

• Options

>asking me to speak at a Space Weather conference in Boulder.....at 8am 23rd April
    I'm sure there's a pun in there about a Coronium (post-)Race Ejection, but can't quite string it together... Boulder sounds like a good venue though (great for training -- not the day after VLM though!) You must go for the V40 prize -- make us all proud.

Legs a bit stiff after my 20 yesterday, so nothing today.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    TR - I forgot to enter London :¬)

Got a bike ride in this afternoon, bit wet and windy :¬0

Coro - nice that you pop in from time to time
  • Options
    Coro - What's the average pace for the 40 miles though? image

Gobi - If all goes to plan between now and Glos then I'll be aiming for 6m/m pace which should work out around 15-20bpm under marathon pace effort. What happens past 26 miles though is anyones guess!

I almost forgot to enter London image
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Coro - that reminds me of my first FLM back in 2000. We go on an annual lads golf trip every spring, and the boys that year were heading out on the Saturday of marathon weekend. Got my mate to book me a ticket for the Sunday. Which he did for 3pm!!

As I was cramping up all along the Embankment, all I could think of was that I was going to miss my flight. Certainly helped me round to my debut 3.37. Got picked up at the finish by the then gf (no mobiles then, so that was job in itself), whisked to Victoria amid FLM traffic to catch the train to Gatwick, and made the flight with minutes to spare. Walked/shuffled onto the plane still in my kit with medal round my neck and got a round of applause from the whole flight!! Pity the poor s0d I had to sit next to stinking and tucking into the beers...

Marigold - sure you could have got a charity place. Perhaps done it dressed as a rhino in 2h25???
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Brian - I hope you ventured out in the end ! No need to worry about me anymore then. I'll get the training bagged and see where it gets me ! 2:52 to 2:55 no doubt ?

Coro - invited ? does that mean you can say no thanks ?

Gobi - never expected you to be at VLM, cant see you fitting in as 1 in 36,000.

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Good to see Marigold popping in, delighted to see the same old Postie picture.  Don't think a bankers picture would have the same charm.  image

Definitely worth a shot at the V40 podium Coro.  Get Xmas out of the way & see what training you can manage.

Dan A.. good tale that one!

Nice work on the turbo TR, still making puddles in this weather?

13m run home from work again for me tonight.  Bit of a pesky headwind but nowhere near last night's gales & gusts!  5m was enough in that!