Options

Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Emma

Comments

• Options
    Oh my goodness, just got message form Alice I had pressed something to ignore Emma's posts- I honestly did not mean to do this Emma-could not work what was going on! So will re-read through thread for past week after dinner  with Emma's posts! Once again sorry Emma! image
  • Options
    EmmaC wrote (see)
    Ruth - thanks for the research! It's not just that meal - will have to make sure about food for the carb loading that day too? Or do I try and carb load earlier - ie for a few days?

Everything makes so much more sense now! Just read all your posts since Birmingham.

I know but breakfast and during day is much easy to deal with as you can go to supermarkets and get snacks together as well as travel with some of your favourite snacks. Ideally you should be carb loading for three days before Paris?

If you write down the foods you want to eat  I will tweak this to help increase the carbs to the right level (and think about the fact you will be travelling/in Paris for part of this). I will come on thread again tomorrow and see how this is looking and change it a little if need.

• Options

Hi Emma

Hope you use your wheat free plan and hope all goes well this weekend!

• Options

Hi Ruth - sorry for not replying - its been bonkers!

I'm planning on porridge for brekkie and Rye bread, hopefully a veggie risotto at lunch with afternoon snack of frut and yoghurt. For dinner going to get some more veg for either a stirfy and jacket potato or ratatouille (may swap lunch and dinner) then porridge in the evening for supper. Hope this sounds ok - will also try and get some fruit juice down my nexk and not just the usual tea and coffee!

Ooo and for treats I have my flapjacks which contain 2 types of seeds, currents and raisins and are made with noney not syrup (still buttery and v naughty but DELICIOUS!).

How did today go? Wasn't it ask the experts?

Off to have a go on my foam roller now as ITB bit tight!

• Options

Hi Emma

Sounds like you're having your usual hectic mayhemimage How you feeling about Surrey Spitfire? Hope you are feeling calm and confident and carbo loaded!

So the pacing plan is:

Surrey Spitfire Race 20M – aim for 7 miles at 10.30, 7 at 10.10 6 at 9.45 pace

Think the weather is meant to be better tomorrow than today, which is good. Please let us know how it goes!

• Options

Hi Sam

Went to osteopath last night - he crunched me about a bit and said to keep using foam roller but that he wasn't going to strip my ITB more important to free up my pelvis and back otherwise probalem would reoccur.

Got a cold and vomiting bug has hit my sister and her kids - wouldn't be a problem but my mum and day look after her children with my two ... washing hands lots and lots.

Slightly jiggled the runs this week due to how tired I was so Mon 5.8 at 9:17s (oops)image, Tuesday did the 6 x 800m at exactly or just below 8min miles. Thursday - 4.3 miles - slughtly slower start but pretty much at mara pace and Friday 4.5 (shorter run as did more on Monday) so total mileage ok and managed to hit appropriate paces (or a bit faster).image

Hope this is all ok - I am pooped so going to keep eating and try to tak it easy - still no details from Spitfire so will have to turm up on theay - wish I was doing Worthing now beacause at least it is flat! I was feeling ok about the Spitfire but now starting to get a little anxious - I had a really unpleasant experience last year and my leg is bothering me a bit along with sore tat AGAIN! Got some more eccanace and also vit D as recommended by Ruthe so-  Fingers crossed.

How is your hip?image

Will post tomorrow when I get back!

• Options
    All the best Emma hope it or is going well I have been awake since three so my Sunday is nearly over!
    13.1 for me today average 9.35 so happy tho hungry now! You will be after twenty.
  • Options

Hello all

Emma - really hope your ITB is settling down and you have avoided the bug!

I spent Friday night in hospital with my son, he is home now but not feeling too good! I forced myself out for my LSR this morning, really struggled but managed 20. I have a niggling hip and ITB thing going on! My back always hurts during and after a long run! I think this evening I will be using the lovely Sanctuary bath soak that the children gave me for Mother's day!

Quick question, I am doing VLM 5 weeks today. I have done 20 miles the last two weekends,I was thinking of the following LSR's from next week, : 16, 20, 17, 10 then VLM. - Does this sound reasonable?

• Options

MWW - I am pretty sure that Sam will agree with me that sounds like far too much running to do ahead of the marathon. This is my last 20 mile run before the Paris marathon and it is only 1 week earlier. I would have thought the weekend before 8 would be fine and in the final week run as often but a tiny proportion of the usual distance - just to stop you stiffening up and going bonkers quite frankly. 12 two weeks out and about 13-15 three weeks out (rather than the whopping 17 you have suggested). The week you are planning 20 that seems quite a lot quite near especially with ITB issue.image

I've had horrid experiences with ITB in prep to VLM 2010 and ended up missing 6 weeks of training - think radically dropping your mileage but not frequency for a week or so might be a plan?!) then maybe do one long run but after a lower mileage week then drop to 13-15, 12 and 8 as I suggested above - hopefully Sam can give more experienced advice.

I totally understand the psychological reasons for doing so many long runs but unless you are a speed demon think that more isn't necessarily better! I reckon injury risk would outweigh physiologial benefit.image

If you want to do another 20 (which I totally get) how about 10 next weekend (get ITB to recover), then 20, 13-15, 12, 8? Looks less fightening too doesn't it?image

I really hope your ITB eases up - Well done on run today! Weather was much nicer wan't it?image

• Options
    mcs - I have been stuffing myself all afternoon! Good running sir!
  • Options

Not an amazing time - but actually felt better at mile 18 than mile 8 which I think is promising news!

Splits are as follows (not quite as SAm directed as includes hills and pit stops) but definately faster at the end than the beginning - yay!

1 = 10:35             11 = 10:15

2 = 10:24              12 = 10:03

3 = 10:22              13 = 10:13

4 = 10:28              14 = 10:06

5 = 10:27              15 = 9:48

6 = 10:24              16 = 9:48

7 = 10:17              17 = 10:11

8 = 10:44              18 = 9:43

9 = 10:10              19 = 9:39

10 = 10:03            20 = 9:07

• Options
    Emma

i didn't go to Tempest / Spitfire in the end, but I'm seeing where the hills were from your report - finishing so strong is fabulous, great run well done.

• Options
    Thank you! Are you ok reikirabbit?
  • Options
    Emma, Well done! Your carb loading sounded good. I think the fact you felt okay at 18miles meant energy levels where okay so that is great. When did you have gels during the run?
  • Options

Emma - a great run, well done. splits look great, you are going to be fab in Paris!

Thank you for your advice regarding the next few LSR's. Definately makes sense, I am so not a speed demon! Will cut back next week!

• Options

Emma - that was a fantastic Spitfire run, very well done - i know it was a bit quicker than planned in the first half but you expect that cos you are fitter now but what i really like is the strength shown to do the last 3 miles at faster than MP on tired legs, great.  How did you feel at the end and how long to recover ?? Any gels during the run?

• Options

Thank you everyone - bit tired now and such sore toes!

Gel wise I had a powerbar gel at 5miles (actually v good as far as flavour goes so thinking of getting some for Paris - Mango and passion fruit as not so sickly as the others), then a double caffine at 10 miles and another powerbar gel at 15.

I felt best at miles 18-19 ... that could be psychological though as I only had a couple of miles to go but .... I didn't seem to go in to state of hallucination that sometimes hits me at 16-17 miles. Sure the carb loading and gels are the reason. Just goes to show!

For dinner last night I had stirfry veg and jacket potato - thought it was going to be dry but it was yummy! I've also hit the turbo flapjacks a bit too much so think I should try and be a bit better tomorrow other wise I won't fit in my new trousers (a whole size smaller ... no weight loss but maybe I'm trimming up a bit?!). Have also got some vit D as Ruth suggested to add to the eccanacea and vit C.

How was your race Ruth?

How are you feeling now Oscarr?

MWW - I hope the drop back allows ITB to improve - sure Sam will add some extra ideas for you. Which is your mara VLM?

Might all! x

PS did a Sprint finish for the cameras and no one came past me in the last 10 miles at all - I just chose a target and picked them off ... felt great!

• Options

Hi Emma
    Good running today, well done, especially on speeding up near the end - and great to feel better that far in rather than only near the beginning.
    That's interesting about the ITB stuff. Sarah C always looks at the back in terms of injuries lower down the body - and I think it's so important not to just look at the bit that hurts, so good on your osteopath!

It's time to look ahead to next week's training - week 13 now! This includes the paced race at Fleet next Sunday.

Week Thirteen w/c 19/3/12 approx 37MMon Rest

Tue 1M jog, 4 x 1M or 1600m fast with 3 min jog recoveries, then 1M jog

Wed RestThu 1M jog, then 3M at half marathon pace, 1M jogFri 8M easy Sat 3M easy inc 4 x acceleration stridesSun Fleet Half Marathon 5 miles at 10, 5 miles at 9.45, 3 miles at 9 min mile pace (plus warm up and cooldown)

MWW, I agree that you should cut back more substantially next weekend if you want to do another 20 the following weekend. Depending on whether you've included faster-paced sections in your other long runs, you could make the shorter one next wkd a bit faster, and then go back to LSR pace for the final 20.

• Options

Emma - still not 100%, ran on Friday and did a park run yesterday but no run today.

How many grams of carb are in each of the gels you took during the Spitfire?

Will see you and the gang at Fleet as i intend to come down to support.

• Options

Morning all

Emma - must be great to feel good towards the end of a race. I like the sound of turbo flapjacks! Hope your toes are feeling better today!

Sam - thanks for the advice, I have been trying to do some faster paced sections in my LSR's but I struggle with these. I will try a a shorter slightly faster LSR next!

Oscarr - hope you feel better soon.

• Options

Morning all!

Great run Emma - have a lovely well earned rest today! Whoop whooptoo for new trousers and your new shape! image

Looking forward to seeing you on Sunday already!

Yoga-time for me - 4th week - hamstrings improving by the day - it's a miracle-worker! image

• Options

WELL DONE EMMA HE SHOUTS OUT!! Great run.

Great running and pace fantastic.

Question SB what are you doing Yoga wise that is helping hamstrings I need help with one of mine???

Question............having run in torrential rain and cold early yesterday despite plenty of vaseline got home with bleeding nipples. Sympathy to all nursing mums.........ouch painful today.......any suggestions tried all sorts........??? Thanks in advance.

• Options
    mcs - all i can suggest is more vaseline - i suffer in the same way if i don't put enough on - most of my running tops have 2 grease blotches to show where i put mine !! I've seen plasters advertised but never tried them, too many hairs in the way!
  • Options
    More blobs it is then and look out St Johns people here I come!!! Sore sore ouch typing hurts........image
  • Options
    Chaps - the onlythink I can suggest is a really tight top! That way there is less movement and therefore less chaffing - maybe a skins top under vest/Tshirt?image Either that or you will need to shave and apply a plaster!image
  • Options
    just felt cold shivers down my back imageimage
  • Options
    Sorry Oscarr! On a serious note the tighter top the less chaffing - same works for a bra. When it moves around too much it is more likely to rub. I find looser tops sometimes rub on my bingo wings (upper arms) and it is really sore - tight tops don't do that.  And of course choose a lovely soft fabric with no unnecessary seams!image
  • Options
    At least I didn't suggest waxing!
  • Options
    So what size of bra should i choose ?!?
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    MCS - the only advice I can offer from experience is to avoid "Mint Source" shower gel. It has a way of highlighting all the sore spots image

Emma- great running! I love the fact that you felt better towards the end of the run too.