Options

Greater Manchester Marathon

Comments

• Options
    wow, leeee

I've just been googling 'how to beat the post-marathon blues' when all I had to do was watch your video. Thanks for that. You've just reminded me why I love running.

And well done.
  • Options
    Kicked it - I really enjoyed your race report, especially your humorous take on the whole thing. Reading it takes me back to each section and has me reliving the whole thing. I sit here thinking 'how the hell did I finish that?'. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said if you were to stop, not only are you in the middle nowhere but you'd be frozen too. I could've happily stopped and walked at any point after 20 miles but it was just too cold so I managed to find something inside to keep me moving.
  • Options
    ShivaShiva ✭✭✭
    Good video, sums up training very well!
  • Options

Sorry Can't remember what the question was;-

Would you run this race again?............... yes.! ....I said on Sunday evening I'm sure they will sort it out for next year.

Will I run it next year?.............Maybe but I don't plan that far ahead.

Re London, I know what you mean, the general public are kind of shocked when I say I'm not really bothered about running it again. But then again I try each year in the ballot..... it's like a game, will I wont I get inimage

Not entered another marathon yet, I want to concentrate on training for IMUK now.....But looking at Chester, Yorkshireman, Liverpool and Preston.

• Options

Kicked it - i enjoyed your race report, thanks. Its good to see it from someone else's perspective.
  • Options

Cheers nutter - Mish.

With a few days perspective on it now I am kind of glad I did it - it was certainly an unforgettable experience!

Just found a vid on youtube where someone has filmed the tunnel bit near then end and I can pick out the exact spot where I went down  - made me shiver just to watch it!

Lees video is superb too - I'd like to see more footage of the race Lee if you have it?

• Options
    Well I've sent off my proof of sub 3.50 and asked for application form for GFA place for London 2013. Nowl I'm looking forward to my long training runs allong the NDW this summer - next stop, Croydon 30M in early July then NDW50 in August. Should be fun! Also, after I've trained for and run that, a marathon really won't be a long distance...
  • Options

Hi Kicked It, unfortunately the bulk of the footage is on that video. My wife, brother and brother in law did their best but their phones were playing up in the wet weather. There's a quite a few on youtube though i found?

Great write up by the way - you've a real way with words.

• Options

Cheers Lee.

The quick shot of what looks like the country lanes out of Dunham was like a nightmare flashback!

Looks like you filmed it yourself on the move?

• Options
    Yeah, filmed most of it on the Blackberry (which also doubled as my GPS) not great quality but did the trick.
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing that Lee - good video.
  • Options
    Enjoyed the report Kicked it, almost as much as The Dun image
  • Options

Great video and race report. Made me feel emotional all over again!

One of the reasons I made myself keep running was because I knew it would take longer to get to the finish if I stopped or started to walk and I really wanted to get to the end as quickly as possible! Still finding it hard to believe we did that in that weather. Crazy!

• Options
    Great report, Kicked-It. Fantastic to keep goign when you were feeling like that.
  • Options

Kicked-It: what a great race report, brought it all back. I was going to write something for my club's blog but now I think I'll just tell people to read yours!

Nice to see the Montane jacket getting a shout out. I wore mine thinking I'd take it off when I'd warmed up only I never did. That jacket saved the day for me.

• Options

I enjoyed reading that Kicked-It. The part about calf cramps coming and going made me chuckle, I had the same thing and was talking to mine during the last 4 or 5 miles telling them not to fully cramp and stop me running.

At 23 miles I had a little demon inside telling me to slow down and settle for 3:20 when I knew that I was probably just going to miss out on 3:15. Sounds like your "demon" was another runner!

• Options
    Hilariously, one of the youtube vids shows me and hubby exiting the loos right at the beginning after refusing to join the giant queues!
  • Options

Hi everyone,

I have been a lurker on this board for the last month or so... I am a wife (and physio) of a first time marathon runner and have been regularly updating my husband with everyones progress in training etc

I hope you don't mind me signing up to post but I felt I just had to !

To everyone who took part in that Marathon on Sunday ( I think it sounds like it should be renamed a cross country event!!) you deserve to be extremely proud of yourselves, all of you.. from first timers to seasoned pros.

The conditions on Sunday were absolutely appalling, so wet and cold. You all have really achieved something incredible and I was totally in awe of each and everyone of you running or walking past me.

I watched you at 5 miles in Stretford, then got on a metrolink with what seemed like the rest of Manchester to get to Altrincham high street to watch you pass and then back on the Metrolink to Stretford to watch you come over the hill by Stretford tram stop ( about 25 ish miles??)

I had a my own little challenge with a 3 year old in tow but that was nothing compared to what you had undertaken !

My husband said running through the Altrincham support made him feel like he was famous and got him totally buzzing ! 

From a physios perspective I was extremely concerned about the state of people around the baggage tent at the end and sincerely hope they sort it for next year.  Very irresponsible .. they ask you train properly and stay safe, and they let you all down big style at the end.... I wouldn't be surprised to hear of hospitalised people. It really was quite shocking and I hope everyone who became ill is recovered/recovering.

My husband by the way finished his first ever marathon in 3 hrs 54 and 09 secs and finished with a smile on his face and still by the side of his best mate. 

So to each and everyone I congratulate you, all your training sessions and hard work truly paid off and you are all an inspiration. Really well done !!!

• Options
    P.S Foam rollers are the only way forward in our house !!
  • Options
    I know of two people who were in an ambulance with what did look like hypothermia when I stopped to get vaseline just before the 20 mile mark (after 4.5hrs). They were taken off just after I exited the ambulance. I do hope they are alright now.
  • Options

This is me signing off, well done everyone. Woody2run, I will be on the Yorkshireman off road mara in sept as a warm up for Liverpool on Oct 14th. maybe see you there

cheers everyone

• Options

The guys from Stockport Harriers had on some great disposable coveralls. They said they are very effective at keeping you warm.

http://direct2workwear.co.uk/workwear-coveralls/disposable-details.htm

Very cheap as well.

• Options
    Now that is a cross country, bordering on fell race...... would be good to see you gee gee all the best.
  • Options
    Maxpower North West wrote (see)

The guys from Stockport Harriers had on some great disposable coveralls. They said they are very effective at keeping you warm.

http://direct2workwear.co.uk/workwear-coveralls/disposable-details.htm

Very cheap as well.

I can second that.. Never actually used them for running but I've used them working out side. They really do keep out all drafts, as if you are in your own cocone.
  • Options

Max - Ah yes, I remembered seeing the teletubbies !

• Options
    LOL - I thought they looked like a Ghost Buster converntion!
  • Options

First time back on here since Sunday morning.

No need to go into too much detail as it has all been said. Ran 3:37:39. Missed my Sub 3:30 target but delighted with the time given the weather and conditions. Was on schedule at mile 20 until tuning into the headwind for the final 6 miles. That literally destroyed me and any chance of a Sub 3:30.

Good experience despite the problems such as the baggage issues.

Was worrying at the time to see so many suffering at the end. Runners turning purple and bordering on hypothermic. Hope everyone is ok?

Anyways, my little lad was pleased to take "his" running medal to nursery on Monday. image

Couple weeks rest and back into action for Liverpool in October.

Fun this marathon malarkey.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Anyone know of any decent half marathons or 10 mile races in the NW (or anywhere nearby) over the summer which are useful for training races for an autumn marathon?
  • Options
    I was looking for summers races last night 15 in prep for Chester. They are very thin on the ground in the north West.