Options

Panarama - Allan Wells - Drugs

Comments

• Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

The one thing about microdosing is we don't know what kind of boost it gives.   I mean in the past when you could pretty do what you want with epo and then blood transfusions there were massive gains to be had but now I'd guess the gains are much smaller.  

I know that the Panorama programme did do it's own little experiment but working on a sample of 1 with no control group we don't know if those gains in power on a bike were typical of what can be achieved with microdosing - we don't even know if the gains were down to the journalist microdosing as it could have been down to a good day vs a poor day, motivation to prove the point etc.     

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

They're all at it, so must work

No smoke without fire - just look at FIFA. I am now very suspicious of Farah now I'm afraid...he was going nowhere till he joined Salazar. I bet all the pro cyclists are doing it too..including Sky. They either need new methods to detect EPO or other drugs have been used, or we just put up with it and let them all do it.

• Options

"I believe that it is currently difficult to be among the top five in the world in any of the distance events without using EPO or human growth hormone. While some of the top athletes may be clean, so many athletes are running so fast that their performances are suspect – I would like to make it clear that I in no way condone doping and am glad I never felt forced to seriously consider doing it, but I can definitely understand how a good moral person might feel compelled to do so. That person might not even consider it cheating if they believe all their top competitors are doing it." - Alberto Salazar, 1999, in his speech to Duke University.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    15West wrote (see)

.. I am now very suspicious of Farah now I'm afraid...he was going nowhere till he joined Salazar...

didnt Mo win silver at the worlds before he joined salazar.  its not like he was a parkrunner before alberto got his hands on himimage

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

was gonna say Dean!

It's like the critics of Paula. "Injured her whole career". "Didn't achieve much"

Well.... she  won a stack of prizes, and still holds the fastest ever women's marathon a million years on!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Yeah, suspicious of Radcliffe too.

• Options

its probably because its on Runners World but everyone seems to be focusing on the running side of track and field ..  could it be Jess Ennis, or Greg Rutherford as the 'v. famous GB medalist' ?

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Could be. 

Could be Ennis, Rutherford and Farah. That would be cool wouldn't it?!

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

I think Eddie the Eagle used to blood dope too*

*not actually true

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Do you mean, he used to dope, blood ?image

Apparently Diane Modahl was innocent...
  • Options
    Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    Thing is, what you pick up from the cycling memoirs is that even then and there, a few were clean and a few of them won the odd thing.

Couple that with Adcocks, Hill etc running under 2:10 on chips/beer/Chinese takeaways.

I expect a lot of performances are dodgy but some (perhaps a few) are still going to be on the level.
  • Options
    I'd like to think that sky are clean. If they weren't then it would reflect back to Brailsford and the GB track team and we've had years of success with no scandals or rumours of such.

Pretty sure Radcliffe is clean too. She's spoken out against drugs so much. You never saw Lance do that.

Let's see what Mo does next.
  • Options

Here is a thought.

Imagine if it was possible to have performance enhancing drugs for other jobs?

Middle management. HR. Retail.IT helpdesk?

How many people would take them I wonder?

You could get a days work done in 6 hours. No lunch breaks needed. Promotion after promotion would follow.

Think on that when your down the pub tonight with the boss.....

• Options

Red Bull?

Gives you wings and rots your teeth.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Coffee? Coke?

Isn't there some drug that students take to cram in the revision?

I wonder how many amateur runners are taking EPO? I bet most of the sub 3 forum are (joke).

• Options

15West the drug you speak of is called Speed. An amphetamine. 

Ever been in a city bar on a Friday? I worked in one for 3 years. Can spot a nicely dressed coke head at 100 paces.

Trust me those bankers are seriously enhancing their performance and taking us with them. 

All the athletes are doing is messing themselves up. 

• Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭

Did anyone else find it mildly amusing when Jo Pavey said that if shw were Mo she whould "run a mile" from the Orgegon Project?

Potential responses:

"You can run farther than that, surely"

"You'd still be in Oregon though"

"You'd run it quicker if you took these....."

• Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    15West wrote (see)

Coffee? Coke?

Isn't there some drug that students take to cram in the revision?

I wonder how many amateur runners are taking EPO? I bet most of the sub 3 forum are (joke).

Pro-plus. Basically just caffiene tablets.  Red bull without the sugar.

• Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭

And looking at my spelling/typing in my first post, I think I need some. image

• Options
    Stephen E Forde wrote (see)

All the athletes are doing is messing themselves up. 

That's just not true though is it.

The top athletes in the world make a fortune.

They also ruin the sport for other competitors and viewers and endanger the very future of the sport.

I was in the Olympic stadium the night the 3 golds were won - I would hate it if that memory were tainted by Mo being found to have been on drugs (or Jess for that matter (I could get over Gregimage)).  

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Would these drugs mean that middle management actually did 'some' work and actually managed to do more than watch 'the machine' churn out product?
  • Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    There do exist pills that supposedly make you smarter. Not caffeine either.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

I'm pretty wise after a few beers. And handsome.

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Nayan. Do you mean the pill? I only ask as women turn bat shit crazy without it.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

I definitely need some of those smart drugs, as well as run faster drugs. Infact I need a lot of drugs for all sorts of things.

Farah to be interviewed today in Birmingham before he breaks another record. I wonder if he'll be asked about Salazar?!

• Options

Farah will deny it and if you have any doubts about his innocence you can ask his roommate Justin Gatlin.

• Options

"I have not taken any banned substances and Alberto has never suggested that I take a banned substance." - Galen Rupp replies to reports on drug taking.

"I have not taken any banned substances and Alberto has never suggested that I take a banned substance." - Mo Farah replies to reports on drug taking.

Lets hope its only Galens phrases that Mo has decided to copy from Galen.

• Options

Assuming Mo is clean, and I have no reason to think otherwise, I do feel sorry for him on this. He is being tarnished by association. It's all very well for Jo Pavey and others to simply say that he should leave Salazar, but if what Mo says is the case, that he has never seen any evidence of doping, has never been encouraged to dope and he believes Salazar is innocent of any charges, then where does loyalty come into it? Salazar has helped Mo's running immensely and if he strongly believes in his innocence then it's only right he should stand by him.

Of course, Salazar and Rupp have some questions they must answer, but until anything is proved, if Mo beleives they're innocent, he's right to stay. The easy thing would be just to jump ship.