Options

Manchester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

That's some going Jedwards!  I know...you do feel empty afterwards, but I am sure you can find an Autumn marathon to keep you out of mischief lol!image

• Options

What's going on with my bloody pc?!

I know, it's not cheap, but then again, what you pay in entry fee you would easy spend that and more on a night out wouldn't you?  For the same bargain fee you get to half kill yourself for 26 miles and be in pain for about a week laterimage

You have to spend your money on something and I know plenty less healthy things most people (previously me) would spend the money on.  it's just the eating up of weekend time that does my head in, but then again, it beats being sat on my arse watching Saturday kitchen then football focus or whatever it is!!

• Options
    SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

Yeah, I'm wondering what I'm going to do with my time after all this is over!  Haven't had a decent night out for ages and apart from running, I'm sleeping!! Just off out to do 12 miles (as per the plan which is my bible!!) then hopefully I will go for a stroll along the seafront with hubby in the sunshine. 

Planning the Needles Half Marathon for June which is a hilly half here on the Isle of Wight - never done it before and apparently it's hard but pretty (does anyone notice the prettiness whilst running a hilly, hard race though?).

Happy Easter everyone - 4 weeks to go...

• Options
    Just back from a tough 20 mile. Glad that's over! On with the bank holiday weekend.

Few beers tonight I say...
  • Options
    And a few eggs I hope! Well done
  • Options
    Cheers redpanda. You been out today? It's a lovely day here (Cannock)
  • Options
    cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭

Happy Easter everyone. Hope the weather is as good for you all as it is for me here in Colchester.

Day off for me today, then seven miles tomorrow.

• Options
    PureManic wrote (see)

Juiie Bowles. Based on what you say I reckon will be ok - certainly to just get you round and possibly even to get you round comfortably and I 'm guessing with a decent time - althoug I don't know your paces or racing history.

SB - That's a good time for a 10K and IF you have the stamina and have done plenty of long distance runs then you should be on for a good marathon - maybe around 3.15 ?. The only thing I would guard against in your case, having seen some of your posts, is starting out too fast and hitting the wall and being disappointed in your result. I don't want to be a doom merchant but please be cautious - I speak from (bad) experience ! Post 22 miles is another world and you will learn from it and can really go for a time in your next marathon.

Cheers PM, appreciate you looking out for me.  Don't worry though, it gave me confidence but hasn't made me over-confident.  I am aiming for around that time, maybe a touch quicker ideally but i'm going to assess the race as I go along.  I haven't set my initial pace yet but will do in the coming weeks and then I will follow the Garmin pacer to keep me on schedule.  I've got quite good at that now.  I suspect i'll start out at around 3.10 pace though but i'll see how my last few big runs go and how I feel during taper before I make a firm decision.

Happy Easter all - it's getting close now image

• Options
    SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

Why did I think 12 miles today was going to be easy? Soooo hard.  I guess it's on the back of increased mileage this week and cycling yesterday.  So tired and it was slow.  But hey, it's done.  Poker evening tonight, few beers - not very Christian for an Easter Sunday but that's the plan...

Oh, and the Needles half I was planning to enter - not now after this morning!!!  I'll wait until after the 28th and see how I feel, ha ha...

• Options

Hello, sorry to be one of those pain in the backside people who stroll onto a thread in the last few weeks.  I'm doing this race with hubby, it'll be my 4th and hubby's 3rd...should be a walk in the park as the last two we've done...one was the Goofy challenge (HM & Marathon in a weekend) and the other was seriously hilly and a tad warm image

*waves to Redpanda* Hope this one isn't as warm as Edinburgh was.

Sallymax sorry to hear you stuggled with yesterday's 12miler...some days are like that...but still 12 miles is 12miles image

16miles for us today, damn snow snarled everything up last week but we can finally see the pavements again so wish us luck...

• Options

Hi Caz.  Don't think there are any rules to say when you can and can't join a thread, you'll be welcomed on here, lots of decent sorts on it image

20 miler done this morning, chilly but really enjoyed it.  The strongest i've felt yet on an LSR which is great news.  Just one more 20 miler to go now.....

• Options
    It's sooooo cold here and the kids are off school AND I can't stop eating choc!

Will definitely run later today

Robin - thanks yes I think a steady pace is the way to go for me for the HM. I've worked out that 9 to 9.07 min miles would get me in below 2 - the course is undulating and there's a killer hill strategically placed at mile 10 that lasts for about half a mile that might throw a spanner in the works. But then all my runs are hilly living in Devon. I'll let you know how I get on.

Easter eggs are calling!
  • Options
    Thanks for the encouragement on my last long run being this weekend. To date my long runs have been at about 9:20 pace and I did an undulating 20 mile race 2 weeks ago (ashby 20) in a relatively comfortable 3:05. Hoping to get around manchester in between 4:00 and 4:15 which I think is do-able but worried about losing endurance over these last 4 weeks. I'm def going to keep on running while in Spain and will follow my plan for last 2 weeks while I'm back. So a 15-16 miler on 14th and then just a 10 miler on 20th. Looking forward to it now! And enjoyment is def more important to me than a 'good time'!
  • Options
    Just ordered a pair of new running shoes to break in over the next few weeks - love the first few runs in new shoes! They're the same type as what I'm running in now so hopefully will be fine for the big day after a couple of weeks of 5-6 milers! Getting excited about the main event now and looking forward to having some weekend lie ins!
  • Options

Starting to tick some significant markers off now.  That's the last tuesday of full training done and the last 11 miler in the morning.  Next longest left is 10 on Thursday morning then down into single figures for everything other than weekend runs image

• Options

20 miler this afternoon and then into the taper in terms of LSR from next week

JB - I'm with you in that my LSR are at the start of the week so I was concerned about dropping off mileage too early, I'll do a 16 miler next Tue or Wed and then a 10-12 miler on the following Tuesday but nothing in double figures after that until the race itself. Also looking to get the new shoes out in the next week or so to give them chance to "run in"

SB - Good work, looking forward to ticking off the 20 this afternoon but I'm not in your league with regard to the other runs, my other 3 weeklys have remained under 10 miles throughout the training

Now talking weeks rather than months and it's become even more real image

• Options

All plans are different mate.  My P+D plan takes me up to 14 miles as a midweek run but I did find that quite challenging before work.  I had to get up and straight out very early whereas I normally like 20-30 mins to wake my head up first.

On the "My Last Run" thread, surrey Runner is following the 75 miles per week P+D plan, man he has been doing some monster session but his dedication is very impressive.  He's hell bent on breaking 3 hours, i'm sure he'll do it.

Best of luck for the 20 miler.  It's dry and brightish in Bury, hope it is there too.

• Options

happily entering the last week of "full training" this week, before 21 miles on Sunday, followed by a 3 week taper.

need to get round to booking a hotel for Saturday night before the race. any recommendations?

• Options

My number's just popped through my letterbox image

• Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Hi - Can i join in please? I've been following the thread with interest. Some interesting input.

I'm in my mid 40s and I completed the Manchester Marathon last year (my first) and scraped a 3.59 after a mad dash in the last half mile. This year I'm feeling fitter and faster and I'm hoping to do sub 3.50. I've been following the P+D upto 55miles plan and was initially daunted by the mileage as I'm a bit niggle prone. But, after careful substitution of the recoverey runs I've survived (touches wood).

I've been away for a few days on holiday and only managed one session (5 x 800s). I completed this at the required pace etc, but I was absolutely exhausted during the session (which I usually find OK). I'm not sure if this was a combination of tired legs/feet from sightseeing, not eating and drinking properly etc. I had hoped the mini break from running would leave me fresh but when I tried a long run yesterday, I could only manage 11 miles, I was so weary. Has anyone else experienced this after a weeks 'rest'?

• Options

Shazmo, i'm also following the P&D up to 55mpw plan. I'm aiming to sneak below 4hours. if anything, I do feel a bit rfesher if I have an "easier" week in training. I had to shuffle around some runs in the plan a few weeks back so I could go to Snowdonia and do a bit of climbing for the weekend. I ended up dropping one of my 5mi recovery runs in the week, squeezing a couple of runs in before the long weekend, and substituting with a climb of Tryfan and Snowdon, which was a reasonably good, and varied workout. I think this couple of days off helped and I felt a bit fresher after this change.

There have been times when i've felt pretty exhausted, but often when i've skimped on sleep. An overall fatigue is normal, and doesn't stop me from going out for my runs, as I reckon one of the points of marathon training is to run when you're feeling tired, as this will sort of simulate how you're going to feel after 20-odd miles on race day.

I reckon if you can hit sub 4 in last years horrible conditions, plus you have trained better this year then your target is definitely do-able.

Good luck image

• Options
    ValleyValley ✭✭✭

OMG my number's got my name on image

• Options

Oh blimey, I wonder if my number will be waiting for me when I get home - its all seeming a bit real all of a sudden!

I was only meant to be running with my friend to keeo her company with her VLM training but finishing with the first of her 20 mile runs but a month ago decided that seeing as I'd done so much of the tarining I may as well do a marathon myself! What on earth was I thinking!!!

• Options
    ValleyValley ✭✭✭

I've been allocated start area B, does anybody know if that's based on my estimated finish time or is it pretty much a free for all?

• Options

Valley - I think it will be.  I'm in area A but can't remember what I put down as my estimated finish.

Mine also has my name on it but only my first name.  I feel like Madonna.

• Options

SB - madonna lol! I haven't got mine yet.

I didn't do a long run at the weekend, I did a 6km run on the beach which was jolly hard work and took me 5mins more than it would have on the road. This weekend I'll do 12 miles on sat eve then I'm doing a 7 mile race on Sunday morning. I've felt really tired after Rome mara (March 17th) and I haven't done over 7 miles since image

• Options
    Got my number through today! Whoop. Yes love the fact it has my name on it!

Went out on a 6 mile tempo run and tested out the new Asics but really missed my battered old ones. They felt stiff and unforgiving and I couldn't wait to get them off. So I might just stick with them until after the marathon for good luck!
  • Options
    AgentGinger wrote (see)

happily entering the last week of "full training" this week, before 21 miles on Sunday, followed by a 3 week taper.

need to get round to booking a hotel for Saturday night before the race. any recommendations?

I've booked into Travelodge Manchester Salford Quays. Looks within easy distance by foot.

• Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    I usually run marathon in the running shoes I've trained in and then replace after the marathon. These are the ones I do my long runs in as I use a separate pair for during the week.
  • Options
    I'm in travelodge at Salford quays. Pretty basic but all we need is a bed and it's easy to get to start in morning.....