Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

The JB, that is a fabulous photo! Please send me a copy so I can begin a Who's Who/Rogues' Gallery for 2013.

* Please, DLR! No more nude photos. The server's gonna crash...*

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Weedy - Being honest I'm pissed off that I can't run or cycle, or pretty much do anything sporting related. I've been doing the stretches the physio told me to focus on and keeping my fingers crossed that this heals sooner rather than later.

• Options
    Yer Maj, its got to be first class travel and 5* hotel to see the likes of us surely?
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Eggy....PLEEEEEEEZE can we have a pic of you stretching your groin?

Love, Sympathetic of Cardiff....

Jimbob - that's what worries me!!

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

yer_maj - Maybe I'll make that my who's who picture!

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Brilliant- the Who's Who's Groin gallery....image

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Emmy, I usually go for the safe old ones but if the new ones feel really good and you've tested them on a long run, it might be worth taking a chance. You need to go on how they feel- if there is any rubbing or tightness play safe.  

• Options
    @tjb- I have gbs kit envy now having only purchased the race singlet.

@emnyh - new ones
  • Options
    I know ATM. The excitement may prove too much for it.

Emmy - have you been reading fifty shades of grey again?
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Thanks all - I'm going to take them out for a 10 miler this weekend and then go from there and see which works.

@DLR - I think I could teach Mr. Grey a think or two after the massage... image

• Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Hi all,

As a relatively new runner I have been doing a bit of reading up on suitable training programs to prepare me for Paris. I used to Actionaid 10week program for a recent half marathon and found it ok and was thinking of using the 15week program for Paris. I am however a bit confused with what pace I should be running given all the talk about LSR.

I had it in my head that I should be trying to run fast whatever the distance to improve my times but is it much better to keep a slower pace for long runs and work on intervals for speed. I would really like to complete Paris in sub 4hours so with this in mind what pace should I be doing longer runs?

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Trevor - what was your most recent HM time?

I used an 18 week programme this year - Hal Higdon Novice 2 and whilst I'll be using a different one this time it'll still be 18 weeks. 

Ideally you'll be running your LSR at a much slower pace than your intended marathon pace - if you run them at race pace you'll burn out pretty quickly. 

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Trevor - For your long slow runs aim for between 30 seconds to 1 minute below target pace. Most plans aim for a minute a mile slower on their LSR's. The LSR is there to build stamina and to do so while not taking too much out of you that will affect your training the following week. It also aloows you to get a routine down for the marathon in terms of fueling and what works and doesn't work for you. Some plans do ask that you run the final section of the LSR at your target marathon pace, but injury and burnout would be likely if you did all LSR's as fast as you could.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Trevor

I've only been running for about 18 months now and I initially thought that I should keep trying to get faster - but I learned that this isn't the case.

Long Slow Runs should be done a fair bit slower than race pace to build up your stamina. (I think between 30 seconds to 90 seconds per mile slower). This also allows your body to 'rest' a bit - which is important.

The clever people will be along soon but it's all about improving how your muscles handle tiredness (or lactic acid). You can do shorter sessions to improve your speed but the longer ones should be slower. Saying that, you can include a number of miles in your LSR at race pace.

If you keep on pushing your body to just go faster, you'll end up injured.

For example - I ran last year's Paris in 4:31:30 (I plan to go faster) - which translates to a marathon pace of 10:20 per mile. The Runbayou calculator tells me that my 'Easy' pace should be 12:04 per mile

Have a look at runbayou  - but don't be tempted to put a target time into the calculator - use an actual time.

Now, cue the clever people image

• Options

Stray runner: GET IT THERE AND BUY SOME! - you have to scour the web but the deals are out there to be had. I couldnt get the short shorts so got the longys but they have the lycra lining so its nice and snug on the niags. Think i felt the same as you when i was doing in GNR in full garb and ran past a fella running with the torch!!! well its all relative.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Oh dear. GSR pictures are up... I honestly think that I was not taking the race too seriously...

/members/images/334358/Gallery/gsr_5_0.jpg

I could be the poster girl for the raceimage

• Options
    (Un)fortunately all my discretionary spending on kit was blown on an ashmei jacket for the winter so that won't be happening tjb.

@to - pfzinger & Douglas or p&d are the training schedules I use although I have found the rw garmin ready ones to be good also - key words are structure and variation.
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Emmy - you do look a bit relaxed image

I've got the same running vest but was thinking of running Paris in my Team GB shirt - only to find that I'd look like an amateur next to TJB image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

We should consider having team shirtsimage

@Weezy - The team GB shirt is the same that H has... perhaps grab yourself one and become part of the ginger ninja club...

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I shall be wearing my Wales vest - whatever the weather!

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Yer_maj - does anyone recognise it? At Amsterdam, I ran past a welshie and when I said "good going, Welshie" he replied: You know what I am? You're the first!

• Options

/members/images/727962/Gallery/tapir.JPG

Here's an ickle tapir about to do a groin stretch

Emmy - I'm on board. Where do you get them from?

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Emmy - I got tons of comments in Paris - although that might not have been for the vest...who knows...I always wear it when I race outside of Wales and somebody always comments.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

The only thing that I don't like about my Foska is that it is a vest, with a racer back. I don't feel comfortable wearing it without something underneath (feeble shoulder syndrome image) and if I do wear somethin under it and it gets warm, I cook.

My Team GB to has short sleeves, which suits me better. If I could get my Foska shirt with short sleeves, I'd be a happy bunny.

I like to wear my 'colours' when running as you do get great support (don't forget to put your name on it, it's a great motivator when people shout your name) and it also makes it easier for my support team (Mrs O) to spot me. 

• Options

Emmy - you are mincing a bit in that photo!

• Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Thanks for all the advice. I did the half in 1:52. My plan lloks to include an interval/hill session, a recovery session, a mid distance and a longer run each week, does that sound about right?

How does everyone run slow!? I feel like I'm hardly moving if I try to run 10min/mile although I know I will find it harder when I increase the distance.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    The Jimbob wrote (see)

Emmy - you are mincing a bit in that photo!

I am what?... the feedback from google is not sounding especially positiveimage

• Options

while we're sharing .....

/members/images/157400/Gallery/rttb_running.png

need to lose the face rug in time for fancy dinner on Turdsday!

• Options

£28? I'll get a vest from poundland and some red and blue crayons.