Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Most likely that one that's short has lost the GPS signal for a few seconds, or some difference in how the software interpolates the data.

• Options

Just thought of something: I use a footpod, she does not. The footpod should not be recorded unless I lose GPS - I wonder if that is the issue? Perhaps I need to look at the raw data file and see if the GPS or footpod id the source of the data?

Also, she swings her arms more than I do.  Could that be a factor?

• Options

I'd be very surpised in arm movement altered the data.

The footpod from a software point of view is very likely to change what data comes in and how the software will deal with that.

• Options
    Hello! Have just signed up for the Paris Marathon image

I think I'm nuts - the last (and only) marathon I did was London in 2002! I've been running again for about six months, can do a 10k in about 60 mins but haven't tried out any longer distances yet! Paris is 20 weeks away, so I'll start a training schedule on Mon. I'm not holding out for any time, but I will need to head back to blighty that evening....

Any advice on booking accommodation / transport (am thinking Eurostar...)
  • Options
    DV if you're just after bored housewives I'm sure there's a website for that... image
  • Options
    morning all. Things have moved on a lot since I last checked in but I have caught up. Disappointed to have missed a conversation on binary and charts as that is right up my street. For the record scored 26% on the geek test a

ATM - my company isn't cool enough to be one of the ones you dream of working for eitherimage

Per training training is going well albeit a bit monotonous- 11km in the bag today and caught up with the thread so all good
  • Options
    Oh and don't think I was out at some insane hour .... I am in the subcontinent so have the advantage of being on IST (UK +5.5)

And running in stupidly warm gyms on dreadmills
  • Options

DV - Nothing wrong with being impulsive!image

• Options
    Morning.

Dannirr.... I know nothing of those gizmo's but your logic sounds like its heading in the right direction.

Looks like the weather will be good today. Heading out for a 30 mile trail run. Mrs DV and the little Jedi's will meet me later on their bikes and we'll do some miles together, which should be fun.

Welcome Holy Moly. What is your bib number? ATM is the person you need. She will be along later.
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Whatd y a mean, later? I've been up since KOC..

Good luck, DV. Sounds like a plan. A real Absolute Beginners group would certainly have appealed to me. And it would have saved me doing my first runs in the dark before the milkboys were up....

Welcome to the thread holeymoley.If you message me, I'll send you a summary of what we've discussed/tried.It might save you a lot of re-reading. Monday is D-Day....err....Jour-J * getting into mode...* for lots of us. a 10-year taper sounds perfect.You'll be like a coiled spring, a coliled spring...image

SR, i was impressed with the KOC posting..

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Ok... I couldn't sleep as I was worried about missing my alarm... So the first run has been done. 7km and it turned into cross country/agility run as we ended up in private fields and being chased by a farmer with a gun isn't my idea of a great Sunday morning!

Feet are soaked through but jus having some brekkie before the second tour....
  • Options
    TheEngineer - the made me laugh a lot, out loud, in fact.

Holymoley - you're right on track, training wise, no worries. For my money, getting back to UK on the day I'd recommend the Eurostar. The airports are a hassle from the centre of Paris. I stayed in a hotel last year, expensively, but this year am in an apartment I found in airbnb.com which is way more affordable but I'm in on Thursday to Monday. ATM has all the info though.

More movies: La Haine is my fave Paris movie, still remember how exciting and upsetting it was in the cinema, black and white visuals, chilling, contemporary, funny and disturbing.

Can you tell my running's still going nowhere?!
  • Options

Only 19 pages in a week? Slackers!

Good to see you've all been busy while I've been away. And the (pie) charts made me laugh out loud image. I think there are a few people here who would enjoy one of the books I was reading on holiday (here) - there's some seriously nerdy cryptography stuff in it, which I may have skipped over a bit image but it's also a cracking good story.

TD - still interested in your summer excursion, as long as it doesn't clash with the Paris tri (8th July). I was briefly tempted by the thought of Berlin  but my racing piggy bank is taking a bit of a hit next year. I may yet crack though.

List fairy - can you add:

1 Jan: Serpentine 10k
    16 March: Ecotrail de Paris (distance still to be decided)
    7 April: Paris marathon
    12 May: Great Ethiopian Run (1/2 mara) (image)
    8 July: Paris tri

• Options

RR..   welcome back...  

RS..  looking forward to hearing about Lanza and Rome...

• Options

And now, What I Did on my Holidays.

This week didn't turn out quite the way I expected. Having booked a holiday by googling 'relaxing yoga week in Spain', the plan was to ditch the running shoes and have a proper week off. However, having had a week of not running with the cold, I stuck the running shoes in my case anyway.

On arrival, the first thing I spotted was the treadmill in the hallway...

It then transpired that Mrs Relaxing-Yoga-Week is the local 10k champion, with a cupboard full of trophies, and is currently training for a mountain ultra. Mr Relaxing-Yoga-Week, on the other hand, is currently training for the 1,500m at next year's European Veterans' championships, and by all accounts has a fair chance of a medal.

So, I spent the week talking about training plans, nutrition, shoes, injuries, and all that stuff, and, yes, I sneaked in one or two runs as well. And on top of that, lots of stretchy yoga (but PF - I still can't do the Crow image. I just think my elbows are in the wrong place). I also had a reflexology session, which is something I've never tried before. I was kind of hoping she would find lots of interesting anomalies that I could magically correct to make me perfectly balanced, but in practice all she established was that that I definitely have...feet.

If anyone's having a holiday in the Costa Blanca/Valencia area though, I'd definitely check out the local races. There seem to be a huge number of them - you could be racing every weekend by the sound of it. A lot of them are arranged by the local council, and there are distances from about 3k up to ultras, on road and off.

So I've come back with a long to-do list, part of which is sorting out my training plans. I'm thinking of investing in P&D this time, but a question for those who already have it - nowadays I prefer to buy books for my Kindle rather than hard copies, but are there a lot of tables and graphics in P&D? If so, I might be better off with the hard copy.

• Options

RR..   I've PM'd you...    I have a copy of P&D that you can have...   I'll look for it...

• Options
    RR - sounds like a great holiday, welcome back. The sun is shining here, but it's only 2 degrees. Brrr. Off to do 10 miles.

I'd go for the hard copy of P&D. I haven't managed to follow a plan yet, but I do refer to it a lot. Constantly flicking backwards and forwards through the page, which would be difficult on a kindle. And yes, lots of tables and stuff.
  • Options
    And DV has just sorted it for you!
  • Options

Found it..   pristine condition...    its yours..   just PM me your mailing address and I'll pop it in the mail..

• Options

What a useful thread this is! Anyone got a yacht they're not using image?

Thanks DV.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    2nd run done and we decided to avoid the angry farmer but by doing so ended up with the highest hill in the local area :/

16km done for the day and I'm feeling surprisingly perky.

@RR - this sounds like a fantastic holiday! Did you feel anything different after reflexology? I've just bought a 'real' copy of the P&D book.
  • Options
    What's P&D?

What runs are people doing as part of their training? I've signed up for the Trionium cracker knacker on 1st Jan (10k ish) and am considering the Bramley 20 and the Worthing 20 (I'm training alone on the longer runs, races give me company!)
  • Options

Just had a lovely long run through sunny london. A little on the cool side, but nothing a pair of gloves, two pairs of socks, long sleeve running top and jogger bottoms (the Team GBs of course!) couldn't cure. Same route as last week but i'm just so damn cheery about the footy scores yesterday it was lovely - didn't get lonely today. image

• Options

Hi holeymoley.

RR - Welcome back. I've added your events and I'll post the list tomorrow. Ethiopian one sounds interesting. That book looks good, might have to go on my Christmas wish list. I'm busy wading my way through David Kahn's Codebreakers.

DV - Good luck with the course. If I have any more thoughts I'll drop you a line.

Emmy - crikey, sounds like you need a technical wicking Union Jack bulletproof vest. Think Nike have a new range coming out.

Dannirr - that's interesting. I'm convinced my 610 overestimates distance but everyone I know looks at me like I'm mad.

Found this a while ago by a guy who used his Garmin doing laps on a cruise ship. Quite interesting in a geeky, techy sort of way. Oh okay, it's maybe not that interesting.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/08/fun-with-garmin-gps-while-running-on.html

Iain - Amour's getting some good reviews.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Holey- P&D is a type of training. I can't spell the p name but its Pfizer and Douglas or something similar to that. It's normally for those that do high mileage and great times.

@weezy - I think you're right. I think the farmer had a bigger shock as I came running through the forest at 7am!
  • Options
    Thanks Emmy - I had a look on amazon. Think ill stick to my sub 5 hr plan!!!

How cheap can I make the trip? Does anyone have any hints? I'm deciding whether to take the rest of the family or go it alone...
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

image Dump 'em. They'll only want to eat 'n' stuff like that and it'll cost a fortune...  Seriously, has anyone successfully combined the run with a family holiday? I've decided that, for me, it's not a good mix.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    @holey - ATM is our girl for tips.

I'm bunking up with a friend hopefully to save on the hotel room cost and then I'm going to book the train tickets the first time that they're available. It'll probably be 200??? regardless though.
  • Options
    For us, the only way to combine an event (running, ballooning r car) with a family holiday is to do it right at the very beginning and get it out the way. Else everyone is held hostage to our planning, restrictions (diet, activity) and mostly paranoia.