Options

Snowdonia marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

chimney - good luck with house.  Leg sounds ummm lovely.

Jenf - did look at that then i found a 40 mile one Run to the Castle that's just up the road.  I also really really fancy Jurassic Coast Challengeimage still that's all in the future at the moment image

Wabo - i make my own up cos RW ones are normally build up to fast for me.

• Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭

thanks Chrissi, think I might do something like that because I have followed a16 week schedule already and don't really fancy it again

must say some of you sound like hard core ultra mileage runners, which is scary!

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    jenfjenf ✭✭✭

I'm not scary...I'm just a wannabe!!  welcome Wabo image

• Options

Hey gang, welcome Wabo to Snod forum..we are all very friendlyimage

Chimney, I'll pop in for a pint..oops I mean a cuppa when you are settled inimage

TRex.. I'm not entering any ridiculous events like Ridgeway.....

Just building up to my next lot of carb loading for next weekend's lsr..Summer Enigma marathon in predicted 28 degrees..thud!

Then I will consider my stamina sufficiently built up for my solo attempt at Thunder Run 24. And then, tis time for proper training for the beauty in Octoberimage

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Chimney - yes, I stayed in Isleham.  I meant unusual pub of course.  Bit like Irish bars - flexible closing times.

Wabo - us??  Hardcore??  Don't think any of us come in that category.  jason d comes under the best improver category, the rest of us are more or less plodding on.

I personally don't follow schedules. I only ensure the correct long runs are done before events.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Looking at the time, I'd better plod upstairs now ...

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Options

Chimney Lol sub 3:30 or 3:15 you are having a laugh, going for 3:40 this year. Hope everything goes smoothly with house move image

Wabo welcome to the mad house, I'm kind of doing a RW 16  week plan but will tweak it a bit probably....

6 miles down prom tonight 7:53, 7:25, 7:38, 7:51, 7:38, 7:45, enjoyed it beautiful night. image Bike tomorrow.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Very pleasant evening race around our local forest drive.  7 hilly miles in about 57 minutes, so fairly pleased.

Next race entered now isn't until end of Aug, an 85-miler.

• Options
    jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Trex .. you keep some v late hours on this thread!  85miles..hmmm puts my little planned ultra to shame!

TR41/Wabo, I kinda do a RW 16 week plan. I like following something cos it keeps me focussed and when I'm having a wobble it reassures me that I'm doing ok!!  I'm going to make sure I do my long runs on hills this time though!

Brer, I cant believe you are doing a solo TR24! are you allowed rest breaks at all in it?? I cant imagine staying awake for that long...let alone running!!

Chrissi, when is the castle ultra? will we be training similar time of year?

• Options
    ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

jenf - it's in august but not sure if it will happen next year or not (defo still a wannabe at this stage) hoping next years 3 marathon plan gives me more confidence.

Brer - can now see your motivation for all those marathons more marathons = more card loading = more cake image

though reading the latest RW i may be one of those carb intolerant people ??? or i could just be greedy image

just over 4 miles last night at club - trail, road and fell, hills and fantastic views

• Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭

thanks for all the answers peeps! What a lovely lot you are and so not scaryimage

I did a 5 mile off road hilly race last night, couldn't help but think of Snowdonia as I puffed up the little bumps of Hainault forest!

chrissi I have totally slashed the amount of carbs I have and now maintain a much better weight for me and feel so so much better, not bloated etc

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options

jenf, as a solo runner in TR24, you are allowed breaks as obviously you need the loo, food etc. No idea of how much I will manage, each lap is 10k of a quite hilly, forest route type thing so tactics will be very different to normal marathon type event. I have  a shortish ultra on Sept 1st so tis a training run for that one!

lol Chrissi, no amount of carb and cake intake is making up for the weight loss incurred on this multiple, multiple marathon schedule, I will be a skeleton by the time Snod comes around!image

Wabo, you'll be fine..where there's an up, there's always a down the other sideimage

• Options

BTW, anyone in for London 2014. Got my GFA place yesterday. Blimey, for someone who said they thought it was going to be dreadful this time last year, I soon changed my tune after actually experiencing it!!

• Options
    ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Brer - i have to wait for the no chance mag again image then try for the club place and as Mr C is trying for a Charity place a really really want it and it's part of my plan

mmmmmm so weight loss is either cutting carbs or running lots of marathons - i don't stand a chance really image

• Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Afternoon All,

Cheers for the good wishes on the house front. So excited.

Welcome Wabo. I'm using a combination of various plans. I take the rest day on Monday from one plan, the rest day on Tuesday from another.........  image TBH, I don't know where the plan I'm using this year came from, I've got so many different ones saved, and combinations of the originals, that I haven't a clue now. They go from  the old ' Get you round' ones to 'You have Got to be Kidding me, I ain't Kenyan' plans. (Or Jason D of course).

Brer/jenf, love the idea of a ' Short ' or ' Little ' Ultra. Ceilings & floors eh? I wonder what my teen/20's or even 30's me would have said if you'd told me that I would enjoy running, and that I would also not only contemplate, but complete a 40m run. Congrats on the GFA Brer. If I keep running, I may get a GFA when I'm 90......

I've got my name in the ballot for London again. Another here who poo poo'd it until having done it in 2012 saw what the fuss was about. (Except the streets littered with water bottles ready to turn your ankles).

TR41, if all goes well, I pick up a bit of speed again, lose a bit of weight, I might be joining you in going for that 3:40 mark. I'm still debating on going hell for leather at Abingdon though so may depend what I've got left after. Well I could just use that as an excuse!

Chrissi, I really couldn't do without my carbs. Come to think of it I really couldn't do without eating pretty much anything. I'm kinda lucky that way and Mrs C hates me for it. If I do no exercise and eat what I like my weight will plateau around 161lbs. If I think I'm watching what I eat, which generally means I think about it but do absolutely nothing about changing it, and exercise my weight will go down to about 156lbs. Currently slap bang in the middle. Mrs C has spent the last 30 years bouncing between 150lbs & 180lbs and is never happy about her weight no matter which end of the scale she is.

T Rex, won't be able to see at the Ridgeway this year. Hope it goes better than last year.

leg still bruised around the bite, swollen & red. I thought dogs mouths were supposed to be cleaner than ours? image

No training yesterday or the day before. both days we'd set off for Chesterfield early in the morning and didn't get back til late evening.

Out this morning to test my new shoes, a pair of Kinvaras (Old model) from Sports shoes at half price. Tried them on a variety of surfaces on a variety of ascents/descents and have to say I loved them. Kept forgetting they weren't my normal ones (Progrid Ride, yes I am a Saucony fan. I'm sure they use my feet as a template). I'm going to need to test thoroughly something that did come to my attention. I've had an issue with my right achillies being very tight for so long now that I can't remember when it happened first or how I got it. Usually ok after a few miles but seizes after I've finished running. Today, not a problem. Was it something to do with being warmer today and the fluids beng more mobile, or does the lower heel/toe drop in the Kinvaras make that much difference?

Anyway, today's run was 9.1m at an average pace of 08:45 with 600' of ascent. 5m toddle tomorrow which will need to be done before I cycle to the rugby club to watch the Lions as there sure won't be any running done after that.......

16m planned for Sunday, by which time I should have recovered from either celebrating or drowning my sorrows.

Catch up with you all next week.

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Jeez, they're getting longer. Not shorter.

• Options

Hey Chimney. get your name down for Chesterfield Spires 10, cracking run and great event! I've only managed a lowly 30 miles this week post marathon and most of those with dog cross-country so now have muscles in arms like Popeye! Quick carb load tomorrow in readiness for Enigma marathon on Sunday...holy hell, it's going to be a hot one!!

Chrissi and Chimney, really hope you get a place at London if you really want one..but hey, there are better ones around. My faves now are the Hardmoors Events-truly inspiring.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Jenf- loved BTR- I ran the first one- my second ultra and first win- lol!image

Brer- told ya soimage Got my GFA through too- hoping to be exchanging it after Chester thoughimage Enigma will be brutal, looking at the forecastimage TAKE IT EASY

Chimney- Saucony fan here too. As for the Achilles- try doing some heel drop exercises

8.14m done here this morning, including leading the troops round at Parkrunimage

• Options

Hi all

Chimney, as Jason said heel dips mate used to have same problem all cleared up now.

21 miles on mountain bike this morning, have decided to run a local trail race tomorrow called The Fairy Freckled Cow Trail Race 11km round llyn Alwen reservoir image

• Options

Hey Chimney, we could form an elite team for Snod consisting of those who went eyeballs out at Abingdon the week before. Our motto could be 'Not expecting a good time today, got a PB last week'. We'll deserve our post-run pint that night!

TR41, that has got to be the cutest name for a race ever. Good luck.

Well done JD  for GFA but I'm pretty sure you'll be trading it inimage. What time will you need at Chester in order to do so?

I'm actually too hot to get in the car to drive to Milton Keynes at the moment...tomorrow's marathon could be a catastophe but at least I'll have topped up my tan from last Sundayimage  Anyone know if you can overdose on electrolytes, as I am slinging them down today!

• Options
    ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

brer good luck tomorrow

tr41 think some of our club doing that one enjoy yourself

not long home from work sg the restaursnt we had a taste test of seversl of the desserts imagemmmmmmm

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

All the best for MK mara, brer.  Not done that one.  I have to say it doesn't sound inviting.  let us know how you get on.

jenf - I'm one of these night owl people.  Just about to take the dog out for his final walk ...  Having a border collie is exhausting, especially a fit one like he is now.

Chimney - how are the post-Lions refreshments going down?

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Brer- need to get sub 2.45 in Chesterimage Good luck with MKimage Going to be very, very hotimage

TR41- good luck with the interestingly titled raceimage

I decided to get the long run out of the way today, miss the worst of the heat and not miss the tennis. 18.12m in 2.13.42 (7.23 av) and back home by 9amimage Already very, very warm though....

• Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Afternoon,

Well, the good news I actually made sure I was properly, mostly, fuelled for todays run. Such a difference to last week. 16.71m in 2:33:42. Was aiming for 6.55mph, missed it by .03mph, due to the last two hills in the last two miles feeling really, really tough. Boy is it warm out there.

Having driven up and back to Chesterfield a lot in the last couple of weeks, decided not to spend 5/6 hours in the car going up there for the Spire 10 today.

Should have been out earlier like Jason D. Hope Brer is doing well out there and they have plenty of water/electrolytes available.

Mrs C made a lovely focaccia out of the Hairy Bikers book last night, can highly recommend it, and not just for soaking alcohol up either......image 

Drinking copious amounts on a pretty much empty stomach was a good thing yesterday, I was fast asleep (Or unconscious) on one of the sofas up the club by 2pm so was pretty much sober by the time I got home just in time for my tea. I love my wife, she loves cooking..... image 

Have to say TR41, running round a reservoir seems a very good idea today. My time might suffer though, depending how many times I decided to jump in it......

So, record the tennis and watch the grand prix, that's my afternoon sorted.

Brer, balls out for Abingdon it is then. Figuratively speaking of course image

Jason D, 2:45, fair play. Best wishes for it, you know it's in you. I'd still have 7m/25% to go at that point........

Fairly short today

• Options

Well that was one very hot race!! Runners where passing out due to the heat. 6.75 miles in 54:34 happy with that as I did it on the back of yesterdays 21 mile bike ride image came 50th over all and have a very bright pink T-Shirt!! A great little event on a very scenic course with a few good little climbs thrown in!

Brer hope it went well matey don't envy you in this heat image

• Options
    ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

tr41 well done i agee hope brer is ok

i redid the tmw 1/2 route minus the first loop so 11 3/4 miles it took me the same time as 2 weeks ago 3 hrs but more stops to look at views and just to recover in the heat image 

• Options

I'm back..OMG and any other suitable way to describe the heat in Milton Keynes today. Rocked up to registration to hear another runner explain that the start of a Barbados marathon wasn't as hot as it was there this morning. Mindful of this, I had a stern talk with myself and decided that after every lap, I would stop for at least 2 mins to have a proper drink and sluice down.

Anyway, set off with the most friendly bunch of folk-we were all in it together! The route was around a beautiful lake, much better than I had imagined it would be. It would have been quite a fast course really but the heat and all the families/dogs etc made it fairly slow todayimage

The last lap however was totally in the glare of the sun by now-I never take an ipod to marathons normally but had taken it today. A good blast of AC/DC, Motorhead et al spurred me on. It was on full blast but I didnt care, I needed the tempo to keep my little legs going! Rolled in 3hrs 46 mins and FIRST LADY and 4th overall!!  Everyone must have had the same tactic is all I can say, I must have just drunk my water a bit quicker and had Motorhead on louder than anyone else.imageNice bling, nice day just too hot!

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Brer- YOU WON!!!!!!!!imageimageimage Fantastic just completing in that heat, but to be first lady and 4th overall! Think that must make you the highest placed marathoner on the thread?

TR41- well done to you too- must have been hot on the trails!image

Just came back from a 4.2m recovery run which made me grateful that I got the main event out of the way early this morning. Think I will do that again! This afternoon's post Wimbledon run (Well done, Andy Murray!!!!) was 24 degrees, but thankfully with a bit of a breeze...Weekly stats: (missed 1 session cos I oversleptimage) 101.19m in 13.04.50 (7.45 av)

First 2000m of 2013 done and dustedimage

• Options

Brer OUTSTANDING!! image

JD You are a machine image

Chrissi well done must have been some spectacular views.

• Options

Cheers guysimage

You two have both cracked despite the heat thoughimage JD-you'll smash 2;45 at Chester.

Chrissi, those views...good going girl!

Chimney..another little jolly for you to have a crack at -Belper Rugby Rover-fantastic event.Hilly and picturesque..very informal. You can come to my house for a beer after!