Options

Snowdonia marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    TR41 go into your profile settings and select the basic editor rather than the advanced one. Well done on updating your qualifications image enjoy the bike and run tomorrow - go early it's supposed to be getting hot! Have you seen the ras yr wyddfa post on fb about route change at the summit next week? From what they posted earlier in the week I'm guessing we may ALL get to go up/down the railway... (mr panad not impressed he'd given himself a challenge to try&make the cut-off before turning 40! )

My last cycle commute until September today and a rather easy week planned..-give my legs a chance next weekimage

Enjoy the weekend everyone - what you up to this time Brer?image
  • Options
    Panad Sorted ta!!! Ha like the sound of the route change image well jealous of yours and Mr Panads runs up that maintain image
  • Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    TR41 - having read what it says on the website I am now quite worried...1hr 10 to the finger stone is probably about what I did last year...not sure how my ability compares this year,especially if it is hot... hoping they don't mean it's a cut-off, rather that you'll have to do the best you can on the path..

(also notice the fb post has since disappeared..)

in theory though, yes love the look of the new route

eta going from last years results approx a quarter of the field finished after me, surely they're not planning on dnf-ing all those people before they've started and only telling them a week or two before the race? hmm time to stop worrying and just do what I can on the day I think!
  • Options
    Panad you will do great! It will be me trying to keep up with you.image

Right best get bike out now running late didn't get out of bed when my alarm went off!
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

TR41- well done on the course! Enjoy the bike rideimage

panad- don't worry about it- just see how it goesimage

It was our school's summer fete yesterday- much better weather for selling strawberries and cream than running. Finally got the pm run done at 8 o clock- just cooling off by then. image It was my recovery day image so just a slow 5.7m recovery run. Same in the morning at 6am- not too hot then eitherimage

Today looks like being a scorcher- 8m lined up, including Parkrun- going to get HOTimage

• Options
  • Options

At last, website letting me on!

Panad and TR41, you will be brilliant on that mountain!image

Lol JD, hope you tucked in to those strawberries and cream, yum yum!

Hottest 20 miles ever today, not a smidgen of breeze anywhereimage May have to re-think Thunder Run 24 tactics if it is this warm in 2 weeks timeimage

• Options
    John BachJohn Bach ✭✭✭

Blimey, over 5 months since my last post - thought I'd have a look at what those on this thread have been upto to try and get some inspiration before I try and kick start my running and my 7th Snowdonia marathon campaign. Only raced twice since last years Snowdonia marathon and, due mainly to family circumstances, I've missed a few races I'd entered (notably the Trail Marathon Wales) and I was unable to take part in the open event as part of the World Trail Champs in my hometown last weekend. I've been trying to keep things ticking along with a few runs a week, averaging about 20-25mpw, but I need to start the early morning long runs again!! Bring it on!?

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

JB- Good to see you backimage

brer- no strawberries for me!image Well done on the 20image

Just back from a 5.7m recovery run- 30 DEGREES!!!! Glad it wasn't longer or faster. Feel sorry for those doing the hilly Tenby Marathon at 10 am tomorrowimage I would have the letters DNS against my name if it is 30 degrees....

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Tragic news here.  Eldest son's best mate, who he shared a house with for a few years, went out climbing, biking, and drinking with, was killed in a cycling road race accident in Abergavenny on Tuesday evening.  Jnr is inconsolable.

I really am beginning to think two wheels are not safe.  But this makes my messed up shoulder from my accident pale into insignificance.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

T Rex- awful news indeed. Thoughts with Jnr, and indeed with family and other friends. I used to love my bike when I was a kid, but agree- there is far too much traffic for it to be enjoyable or safe..... image 

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Morning allimage

time for the long run imageimage

• Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    That's terrible news TRex image my thoughts are with everyone concerned

I feel extremely lucky to have got away with a few broken ribs when I got knocked off. It is indeed dangerous out there, and as a cyclist you are unfortunately likely to come off worst in every situation. We could do with z big shift in how cyclists are viewed/respected as road-users in this country!

Hope the long run was over before temperatures got too hot JD!

I'm sure this weather can't keep going much longer Brer, it is Britain afterallimage

Welcome back JB image
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Don't know if it was the early start, the lack of breakfast, the 5 hours sleep, or all of the above, but I found this morning's run quite tough. Still, over and done with now!image 16.07m in 2.00.16 (7.29 av) Finished before 8am and temperature was 19 degrees....imageimage

• Options
    John BachJohn Bach ✭✭✭

Mojo back - 1st 15+ mile run since March - ran 4 miles to Betws-y-Coed to meet a club mate, then a gentle enjoyable 10mile loop with him (including 2 mile/450ft climb to the Swallow Falls), before the 4miles back home with 3 cheeky quicker miles thrown in to gauge fitness level. A very nice start to the day and my Snowdonia Marathon training. Bring on the hills!!?

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
  • Options
    John BachJohn Bach ✭✭✭

Thank you Mr d. It's nice to be back in the preverbial saddle - fitness level OK after the few weekly runs I've done, but it's the long runs that are key and what I've missed - planning quite a few long and hilly runs (with the 2nd half the runs at a quicker pace as the weeks progress)

This mornings run took us past the spot (marked with 2 bunches of flowers) where a chap we know was knocked off his motor bike (hit and run) and, later on, a "ghost bike" in a tree next to where a lad from our town was knocked off his bike and killed. Quite sobering

• Options
    T-Rex horrible news.

JB hi there buddy good to have you back and good start today.image

JD good running mate inspite of how you felt.

Well yesterdays trail run nearly efinished day 22 miles on bike and a 5nded in disaster on one steep decent i went over on my ankle, sharp pain but no real damage finished run then 18 miles on bike and 5 mile trail run with over 1000 feet of climb. Ankle was a bit tender but ok now. Good as snowdon race next Saturday
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

TR41- sounds like a lucky escape there! I pray the weather cools a little before next Saturday's event!image

Just been out for the last run of the week- a 30 min recovery run. Decided after 0.3m that running in 28 degrees wasn't going to help, but hinder recovery and abandoned the plan! Stupidly hot here without moving! So curtailed miles for the weekly stats, but ok considering the weather! 102.19m in 12.44.55 (7.29 av)

• Options

Tragic news there TRex, your boy is going to need some TLC for some time to come I fear.

Welcome back John Bach.. nice to hear you'll put a bit of training in before Snowdonia then come in at the finish in a storming position. Mere mortals like myself have to grind out the miles just to get aroundimage

Blimey TR41...that could have been the end of Ras Yr Wydffa and I would have had to take your placeimageimage

Well, 21 miles for me today in blistering heat again..that's it-my attempt at a big back-to-back before my ultra marathon attempt at Thunder Run 24. Don't know what my target mileage is going to be on this jaunt but I want to have a fair crack at some high mileage..unless it's hotimage

• Options
    Brer well done matey image

Just read my last post all a bit double dutch.
  • Options
    Bluemoon86Bluemoon86 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm regrettably having to pull out of Snowdonia this year due to injury. If anyone is interested and would like to buy my place off me, please inbox me. I also have accommodation booked at the Travelodge at Caernarfon, this was just £23 for the night. Again, if interested, I can forward the details image

• Options
    ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

((((((TRex Junior)))))

JD - surely strawberries are allowed

Due to the timing of certain unavoidable girl things i spent saturday feeling rotten and still abit sunday morning when i woke up so i gave myslef permission to have a lazy day - by 4.30 i was climbing the walls so went out for my usual 4 mile loop - which turned into 6 with rather more hills than anticipated image 

• Options

15 weeks to go: I got through with my first week of proper training. Rough but did it. Haven't run 6 days in a week in years. This week will be hotter 90+F and humid. Push on, it will be worth it in October.

JasonD: will be staying further down the street this year (not above the pub). Looking forward the beer(s) post race (not the "country" band).

Chrissi: Hope to be moving as well as you at mile 24 when you power walked by me. You asked" What time?", "5 hours", "gotta go".... image

Chimney: Hill at Grandma's mile 22 is a mere bump compared to SNOD. But it is also a great marathon!

TRex: Sorry to hear about the tragedy. Bikes are are never a good mix with autos.

Keep cool everyone! 

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Pete- I'll be back at the pub- have already made my usual request for a room at the back- away from the barimage. So if I won't see you at breakfast, I'll have to catch up with you for the beerimage Well done on the training!

Chrissi- well done on the runimage

5.7m recovery run for me this morning, followed by 7.68m of a hilly loop tonight. This consisted of 5 laps up and over the hill in 24 degrees heat- a hill which 2 years ago I couldn't get to the top of without stopping- lol!image Sounds like progress to me, and all good training for Snod!! Sports massage afterwards gave my legs the all clear for another 100m weekimage

• Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Been busy for the last few days, just flicked through what I've missed.

T Rex, condolences to your son and his friends family. Sobering. 

JB good to see your name again.

Brer, 100m at Thunder?

TR, run, bike, run, bike. jeez, one of those a day is hard enough!

Panad, is it cheating being able to practice on the course?!

with the mention of bikes, with trepidation I mention that I didn't do a long run on Sunday. On Saturday some friends over for dinner mentioned that there was a bike thing on in my hometown on Sunday and that as I like a challenge perhaps I would want to have a go.

turned up at the racecourse at 7am and saw there was a 26m route. A 44m. A 82m. And a 125m. So as I rarely go more than a few miles occasionally on my bike I of course did the full course, nothing like a challenge eh?  8:30 ride time, 9:30 total time. I'd ridden there in the morning, leaving Mrs C in bed. Then had to ride home as Mrs C didn't think I'd want picking up and had had a few glasses of wineimage . 

Boy did I hurt in lots of places yesterday. All seems good, albeit a little worn, today. About to go out for 8 very gentle miles. I may be some time.......

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Options
    ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

JD - well done on hill image

Chimney - ow you is officially mad

PT6 - image i remember that, i also recall the lady you were walking with at the time didn't seem best pleased that i wasn't struggling as much as her and informed me that i hadn't done SNOD properly because of the weather.

Another 4 miles done last night it's definately cooled off abit here and it was much more pleasant for running.

• Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

HI Chrissi. I take back what I said about swapping bike rides & runs.....image

8.25m, 600' of ascent. I'll stop there. Time is immaterial.......oh, ok. it was 1:17. And it hurt.

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Well that's me done, apart from a short leg-stretching plod on Fri, before ras yr wyddfa. Just done just under 4 miles steady with 2 faster half miles thrown in for good measure. No escaping it now, it is going to be HOT! I notice they've confirmed the route changes(and that the time is just a cut-off for going up the railway). Given the expected heat and the dent I had in my training I'm not setting any targets other than to enjoy it and not get sunburn/stroke etc.

Chimney I'm sure practicing on the course is called 'preparation' rather than 'cheating'imageimage

In other news had letter from police to say the bloke who knocked me off my bike has been summoned to court at beginning of August.

TR41 hope the ankle is ok for Saturday

Chimney great bike ride!
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Chimney- been busy then? image

Panad- best of luck for the race! I'm sure your preparation will helpimage

5.6m recovery run for me this morning before it got hot. Fartleks done this evening, but no top end speed after yesterday's hills has left my glutes sore and yesterday's massage left my legs floppy- lol! image Not to mention the fact it was 26 degrees! Lol! Didn't push it, but still ok though- 8.02m in 54.52 (6.50 av)