Options

Snowdonia marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

brer fantastic result you must be buzzing 

jd 2000 miles i need a rest after resding that 

tr41 very jealous of pink t shirt if they'  d of tlld me thst id of had a go

must admit though now im recovered loved yesterdsys run image (

• Options

Just checking in to mark the 16 weeks to SNOD date. I've been reading the forum but not training much.

Best laid plans 18 weeks ago led to barely any running before a marathon 2 weeks ago. Training highlights include a 12 miler and an attempted 17 miler that amounted to a 10 miler to 4 miles walking with a 2 hour film break in my stinky running clothes and a 3 mile walk home.

I paced myself to finish the marathon on a FOGGY 50F day. For the first time in 14 Grandma's Marathons the Lake Superior was invisible. Perfect day for the untrained! After 18 miles it was slower and s-l-o-w-e-r to the finish but with no walking just the marathon shuffle. I'm proud of my 4:34:04 finish because I ran as well as possible for the day.

Now, on to SNOD! Thanks for all the inspiration.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Pete! Hi! Well done on the resultimage Are you back for Snod again this year then?

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Chrissi- sorry I missed that! Awesome effort in the heat!imageimage

• Options

Well done Brer fantastic running and Chrissi awesome effort in that heat 

• Options

Hey, welcome back Pete and Nurse Gladys..where have you been?image

Thanks NG and Chrissi..boy am I suffering from dehydration today but the nice cool beer is helping thingsimage

• Options
    jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Brer, Fantastic result!!! way to go!!!

Chrissi, nice running at weekend!

I'm afraid I really wilted in the heat yesterday on my long(ish) run, but I got on better this eve when I took a sports drink out with me.

Jason, as you are on a low carb diet, what do you fuel with on your  long runs? do you still use gels/ isotonic drinks?

• Options
    jenfjenf ✭✭✭

sorry for short post, my lap top keeps crashing! I wrote the above three times before I managed to press submit!!! 

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

jenf- yes, iso drink on long run

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

brer - I can't help noticing a lot of your marathons seem to incorporate a lot of hardship and suffering. You would make an absolutely excellent ultrarunner.  Now, how many of them have you done so far, and how many do you plan to do?

My own, seasonal ultramarathon of a different sort is well under way...

• Options
    ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

image thanks everyone - managed another 4 flat and easy last night absolutely plagued by flys but they prefered Mr C to me must get some energy drink been using electrolyte but may need to swap over now i'm out for 2.5 hrs + at a time esp if it stays hot

welcome back pete

I must apologise for the awful spelling on my last few posts which has been worse than normal (too many teachers on here for me not to) my excuse is i've finally dragged myself into the 21st centuary and got a smart phone and i've been posting from that hopefully things will improve as i get use to the iddy biddy little keyboard image

• Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Sorry for my lack of posting the last few weeks for some reason I haven't been able to reply from my phone (only the comp) but I've just been through my settings and it seems to be working again now image

Brer fantastic result at MK!! You really are flying at the moment image

Everyone else you sound like you've been having good training runs/races as well. Great stuff, especially in this heat!

Chimney fingers crossed everything goes smoothly with the house.

It's slowly sinking in that ras yr wyddfa is now next week, hoping for a last trip up the mountain on Thursday, may not go to the summit, see how it goes. Did a good hilly 6+miles yesterday afternoon which was very hot, but a good run.
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭

afternoon all

brer well done on MK and wow!

kick started training yesterday with a 7 mile early run before it got really hot! Also ordered new shoes because my VLM ones feel knackered!

Hope everyone is doing ok

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Evening all,

Think I've been out of work long enough now, starting to forget what day it is. Been so good for me though, feel so much better getting rid of so much stress.

Right, from the top, been so much gone on in the last 48 hours from everybody.

TR41, well done for not jumping in the reservoir. Tempting was it?. Well done on the 50th, that's some speed in this heat. You sure you're not going sub 3:30 at SNOD? image

Chrissi, jealous of the views around TMW, I get to see/hear the A34 and M4 on most of my runs image If the weather does stay like this, I'll go back to dropping a few bottles at strategic places on my long runs, don't like carrying anything. (Apart from SNOD it seems where I don't have a problem with it, weird). Good luck with the smart phone, my Samsung S3 barely seems big enough. Or is that just my ageing eyesight?

Brer, Serious, serious congratulationsimage. How do you keep it up?, especially in this heat. Kudos on the music choice. Now Belper, that looks really handy, not only is it looking like it will be my first weekend living in Chesterfield (Might be earlier yet), I also have a 20m LSR that day. Got a funny feeling the S part will come into play in that race........Though finishing quick enough to go for a beer will sure help!

JD, miss a session and still go over 100m, gone past 2000m for this year, that is some dedication you have there, and it shows. And on low carbs too?

Hi Pete, Lake Superior, good reason to take it slow and enjoy the view. Grandmas Marathon, had to go look it up. Like the description, a larger incline just before mile 22. Now where I have I seen something like that? image

Hi Gladys, last time I knew I was on the same thread as you was one of the baton ones couple of years back.

jenf, the heat on Sunday was enough to make a rock melt.....

T Rex, what is your own seasonal Ultra? Intrigued.

panad, best wishes for the Snowdon race, I really should get around to doing that one year. 1:10 to the finger stone, pah. it's only 4.5m, what's the issue? Apart from the 3000' of ascent you have to do to get there of course......Wonder why they say Fell runners or Marathoners only eh?

Wabo, straight in with the 7, congratulations. I think for the first time the other week I replaced trainers because they were actually knackered and my last pair so Mrs C couldn't say no. So I brought two pairs of Progrid Ride, a pair of Kinvara's, and a pair of Walsh's in preparance for the coming Autumn/Winter.

So, how am I doing with the plan? About as well as I was after the first day. mostly there or thereabouts. Plan for yesterday = Rest. What I did was a 5m recovery, felt I needed it. Definitely seemed to do the trick, was a lot easier after it. Out early this morning for a steady, fairly flat 7m (8.24 pace, 50' per mile), which was the plan. 5m AT tomorrow, but will stick a couple of the steeper hills in for good measure.

Keep toying with the idea of Just a bit of fun - warm up on the Saturday, race on the Sunday.

Anyone else?

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

It's not my fault, everyone's been so busy.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Chrissi- we'll let you off the spellingimage

panad- I sincerely hope the weather is cooler for Ras yr Wyddfaimage

wabo- hiimage

Chimney- sort of low carbs- I do have some on long run/ hard days. As for your plan- IN THIS WEATHER!!!! You are one crazy dude!image Enjoy the 2 weeks of recoveryimage

6m recovery for me at 5am when the weather was quite pleasant- warm by the time I finished! Waited until 7pm for the evening run- can't leave it much later as it interferes with sleep/ recovery and the morning run! Didn't do much good- it was still 24 degrees when I finished. Going to have to take a drink on tomorrow's MLRimage Still, happy with tonight's run- steady effort 8.16m in 55.25 (6.47 av)image

• Options

Bloody hell Chimney, do you want to come and do a couple of shifts at work for me? You is sounding a little too chilled for my liking!!image Good one boy!

I hope I haven't  over-played my marathon placing..it wasn't exactly London or Chicago but when I set out in 2009 to enter my first ever marathon..Snowdonia..never in my wildest dreams did I ever expect to see 1st Lady next to my name in any event, even an egg and spoon race, let alone a marathon. I'm sure TRex and Jason can remember some of my pathetic bleatings and pleas for help when I needed them most!

Regarding ultras Trex, I'm entered for Hardmoors 30 in September after having a good solo attempt at Thunder Run 24. I have to say...Hardmoors 110 has attracted my attentionimage

Anyway, proper training has commenced, enough tapering and binge carbo intake..it's making me feel shite! 14 miles tonight in 2 hrs in 26 degrees. Let battle commence!

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

brer - you'll enjoy H30 a lot, I'm sure. The 110 is brutal.

I've entered Thames Path 100 for next year and will probably do the LDWA 100 since it's right on my doorstep.  In fact about half the route I know from my 'normal' training runs.

Not running much at all at the moment - my seasonal ultra consists of endless exam papers.  My best time for working is between about 2000-0300 when the house is nice and quiet.

• Options

WELL DONE Brer! imageimageimage

Chrissie - Smartphones won't improve your spelling ... predictive text makes them have a mind of their own.

Anyone wanting a respite from hot weather should head to north of Scotland just now

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Brer- well done on the run!image

T Rex- enjoy the markingimage

OH- I wish I could get away from this weather!image

A nice cool 6.5m at 5am, but a change of plan this evening! Was supposed to do 12-13, but it was 28 degrees at 7pm without a breath of wind, so switched sessions around, running 8.01m in 55.17 (6.54 av). Got through 500ml of water as it was and looked like I had been thrown in a lake by the end!

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Morning allimage

got the 12 miler done and dusted by 7.30 this morning, before it got too hotimage

• Options
    ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

favorite 4 mile loop last night with Mr C it was absolutely boiling image

might swap the 6ish run this weekend for a long bike ride instead ????

• Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Hi All,

JD, after careful consideration I decided that as I'm already feeling a bit knackered they'll wait till next year. Especially as I'll have had a year of running around the Peak District - There's no training for running up hills like running up hills.......

T Rex Ah, Marking. Plenty of time coming up for training then eh? image

Chrissi, the caveat is that I don't actually know what I'm talking about, there are others on here who do! - I don't think the odd biking session will harm but it shouldn't excessively replace running. Your marathon is the goal. It's the running that will train the body for the rigors of 26 miles. As long as you get the standard sessions in each week, simplified as slow, steady, fast & long, shouldn't be a problem. I think.

As I was running this morning, feeling like it was hard, I realised I'd run seven days on the trot. Looked at the figures and in the past 7 days I've ran further (54m) than I managed between January 31st and June 3rd (51m), and the last week has been 42% of the total mileage for June (Me, over analyse? Never). Average speed 6.7 last month, 6.8 this month so far.

Todays run was just over 5m at 8m/m, on a fairly flat surface.

Definitely no run tomorrow, got a couple of assessments, so leaving home at 06:00 and not back again till mid/late evening.

Think I'll go and do a ParkRun Saturday, see where I'm at at the moment. And only 13m on Sunday. What will I do with all the spare time?

• Options

Best UK road/offroad race there is! Let us pray for weather like last year....Then again the rain is fun too image

• Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Lovely day up the mountain today, though rather hot. We did go to the summit, it was hard going as there was no escape from sun, the cool breeze after clogwyn was most welcome, as was the ice lolly when we got back to Llanberis!
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Chrissi- or get in the trees of CyB for shelterimage

Chimney- probably a wise move to postpone...image

Duffs2- Last year's weather was a bit unusual, wasn't itimage

Sooo glad I got the 12 out of the way this morning! A 5.7m recovery run this evening- nice running nice and slow in the evening sun- just glad it wasn't longer or faster. Tomorrow is my recovery dayimage with 2 similar runs- so no early start tomorrow- well, not too earlyimage

• Options
    jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Has anyone else had problems logging in recently?? I've kept being blocked image 

Anyway, I'm here now, only to tell you I'm off on hols Saturday image YEH!!  I promise to keep up my running and set my alarm early every morning for a run before breakfast image 

Catch up properly in two weeks time.  xx

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Jenf-????? ANOTHER holiday?..image Enjoy!

• Options
    ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Jenf - i keep having to fill in those silly little letter tests and it's lost my bookmark even though it quite clearly says at the top of the screen i'm following this thread.  Have a lovely holibob.image

JD - the bike ride will be in CyB anyway

Chimney - thanks i'm only on a short run this weekend i wouldn't swap a long (can't beleive i call 6 or 8 miles short now image)

and Mr C's application for an Arthritis VLM charity place has finally gone in the post gulp

• Options

Hi all

Panad I've been having same problem with my phone, hence the infrequent post from me! how did you sort it? Well jealous of all these runs you and Mr Panad are getting in on the mountain image

Chimney No matey sticking to 3:40image

jenf enjoy hols!! Keep running up.

Everyone else good going!!!

Couple of good runs this week didn't exactly stick to plan as I have been doing a 5 day electrical course (17th edition regs) loads of work in the evenings!! past it though!

Going to bike up to the Abergelle Castle trails in the morning run a round them for a few miles then bike somewhere else image