Options

Berlin Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    The JimbobThe Jimbob ✭✭✭

couple of charity places left with Shelter if you know anyone who wants to join us .....

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_involved/running/berlin_marathon

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Kaz - what does an Orkney flag look like? 

How big is the pole. Will it fit in a suitcase?

• Options

15 miles today. Just need to keep plugging away image

• Options

Orbutt - Bright yellow with a red bit on it. It was an extendable pole, similar to what YM has I imagine??

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Kaz - I looked up the flag. I think you may have bought last years version (or 2006 anyway). Link

• Options

Orbutt - I am losing the plot...........its red with blue and yellow!!! The atheletes who are going to the Island Games in Bermuda this week all have kit with the flag  on it - Its very smart!!

• Options
    andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

16.5 last night - boy was i sweaty!! Hoping to go 23 on sunday for my first post 20 mile run - better get the suncream on.image. Really tempted by the new adidas sonic boost - look cool but probably a little too light for me, anyone heard about them yet?

• Options

Andy, depends on what your used to. I tried a pair a few weeks ago, they are a bit too light for my liking although I went for a pair of Mizuno Wave Ronin in a snazzy colour, which are also light but felt better than the Nike and Saucony's I tried while getting gait analysed.

34 miles for me so far this week. Going to try a 14 mile run tomorrow. Hope everyone has some good running this weekend.

• Options

Good luck tomorrow David. Hydrate well, fella. 

• Options
    andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

only got to 20 instead of 23 as i hoped - stupidly set off at 2pm and just ran out of steam - was overheating badly and in the end cramp set in. One cheery moment was running past a hand car wash the guys there sprayed me with their jet wash to cool me down image

• Options
    EHNEHN ✭✭✭

oh for a jet wash ..it was most certainLy hut today. I desperately need to work on my hydration during long runs  as I cannot continue feeling so nauseous on finish and after for approx. one hour(always hoping that no one recognises the crumpled heap of me)

• Options

Plenty fluids on board Iainimage

• Options

Thats sounds like a hot long run....2pm start - Wow.... Not surprised the hose was neededimage  Well done..

10 miles for me this morning fairly early to avoid the worst of the heat !!  Thats a 74.4 Mile week for me. All slow miles - but hopefully will help the endurance. Will add speed in a month or so. The last 3 weeks have been 65, 71, 74 so next week will see a Cut back week. ( I can hopefully enjoy the sun ) 

12 Weeks to go.... hang in there gang !!

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Cracking running AGF. No where near that kind of mileage from me.

Going to be a warm one today

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Yup. Too damned hot. Had to cut run short by 3k as I was knackered. 

Got some Km in the bank though.

• Options

I know what you mean Orbutt.....went early this morning for my 9 miles..... think I will be trying to run early everyday to avoid the heat !!

• Options

Hows everyones training going in the heat?

I am running lsower ( due to heat ) and trying to get up early or run late to miss the worst of it - tough - but hopefully we will benefit from a cooler berlin?

• Options

Hi everyone, i'm new to the forum. I'm very much looking forward to Berlin in September. image

I'm up to 14 miles now in training, it's going well, but it is tough, especially in this heat!

Any tips for Berlin? The course ect...? Also, what sort of temperatures in Berlin can we expect late in September?

Good luck everyone!

• Options

AGF Cooler Berlin? Lets hope so after last 2 years. Has someone taken me out of Scotland and forgot 2 tell me? Can't believe how hot it is. Sunday was a disaster due to the hot weather and I've spent all week running in my well air conditioned gym. Been on early shift this week and I'm really impressed with my discipline as I've been running at 520am each morning before my shift starts. Good getting it out the way early as I can spend time with the daughter with having early finishes. Can't get over this heat though, we have been hitting mid to late 20's.

Hope everyone else is managing runs with this heat.

• Options

Hi RunCorwall welcome to the thread. Berlin is a really flat course and is ideal for a good time/pb. Berlin is a beautiful city filled with history and plenty of landmarks that u can see during the race (if u're not to busy breathing out u're backside or dealing with the pain). Weather wise it has been hot the twice I have done it (2011 & 2012). My current pb was on this course in 2011 and it was really hot, must have been at least 20 degrees. Water is dished in small plastic cups, which can be a bit of a pain and the water stations can be a bit crowded. After my experience of 2011, I took my camelbak with me.

Good luck with the training

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Hi RunCornwall and welcome. 

New to the forum eh? Don't be scared, this one is one of the friendly ones (there are some scary ones out there) image

I haven't done Berlin before but I'm really looking forward to it - I enjoy the sightseeing during the run. 

Pull up a stool image and tell us a bit about yourself

• Options

Hello everyone, 10 weeks left to the marathon, getting slightly nervous... I find it really difficult to run in this heat, so been trying to do morning runs but for some reason I really struggle with that. It's like my body is not awake and it just feels more difficult to run in the mornings.  After work runs are much easier, not sure if it's due to the fact that it's later in the day, and my body has been active for several hours etc. Does anyone experience the same thing, or has any helpful tips on how to overcome the pain with morning runs- that be SO appreciated image

Thanks!

Annnika

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Annika. I do most of my runs of an evening after work and I only really do early runs on race day.

The heat will make it harder but don't try to run at the same pace, with the same ease, as on a perfect day. You'll need to slow down a bit on your runs, take on extra fluids and moderate your expectations.

What may make things a bit easier is if you realise that, in this heat, running slower is not necessarily slowing down. You are still putting in as much, if not more, effort but not getting the same results.

If, on a good day, a 15 mile run would take 2.5 hours then on a hot day that is scheduled for this distance, just run for 2.5 hours - regardless of how far you go.

The weather will cool a bit soon, I hope, and then you'll see that you haven't lost anything.

Dont forget to drink more though. 

• Options

They hand out water in cups?? thats really annoying because I prefer to run around with a bottle and sip my water slowly image 

• Options

Donkey Like you I like to hold on to my water bottle and sip at my leisure and found that really annoying when I ran Berlin in 2011 that they gave you small plastic cups that are hard to drink from on the move, that is why I took my camelbak last year. I found by doing this I saved some time by just running through the water stations. The one thing I did like though was at the end of the water stations, which are quite big I should add, we're a basin of cold water which I was dipping my baseball cap into before placing back on my head after watching another runner doing it earlier in the race.

No running for me today, taught my first spin class since being in hospital instead.

Looks like we will have the company of Patrick Makau (world record holder, 2:03:38, Berlin 2011) and Wilson Kipsang (4 seconds slower than Patrick). World record attempt on the cards?

http://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/news-and-media/news/2013/07/04/the-world-record-holder-versus-the-second-fastest-man-in-the-world.html

Welcome to the thread Annika 

• Options

Thanks Orbutt for your words of wisdom. I actually never thought about it like that, just thought it's odd that i'm struggling more now than earlier this year (when it was cooler). Really appreciate the advice image

Thanks David White 20!

A

• Options

Thanks for the welcome all.

My training plan has me running 5 times a week, my previous 3 marathons the plans had me running just 3 (with a bit of cross training thrown in). Am hoping the extra running will be worth a good few minutes on the day?!

That said I am pretty tired by the time my 2 rest days come round but am starting to feel stronger – have the Wimbledon Common half marathon to look forward to at the end of the month which should hopefully be a PB and an opportunity to assess how fast/slow I can go in Berlin.

Re the hot weather I think it has to be looked at as a chance to run in tougher conditions than race day, (hopefully, fingers crossed) Berlin should be cooler in September than it is in the UK now. This has to be preferable to Spring marathon training where you can feel the temperature rising every week!

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Donkey - Have you ever tried running with a hydration belt? I have one that holds 2x300ml bottles which I use on runs over 13 miles and in hot weather. In Berlin I will be diluting my gels in them and just using the cups of water for sipping every 5k.

That's the plan anyway.

There are quite a few different models out there but mine was made by Nathan.

• Options

Hello everyone.  I come back with my cap firmly in thy hands - as I have been rubbish as since Edinburgh have not been anywhere near the forum.  Nothing personal - work has gone insane and working stupid hours and as with some of you on here, have been forced to get in a lot of morning runs - 5am - a work day of overtime and my intentions have been to get home and come and say hello but quite often when I hit the sofa that's it - sleep comes quickly!

Anyhow enough of that.  How is everyone doing?  I've read the last page of posts - looks like everyone is putting in some good miles.  I've been a bit affected by the work situation - so ther long miles haven't overly been put in - but I'm ok for about ten miles at the moment and I am hoping that - as Edinburgh was only the end of May there will be a lot of that fitness still in the legs so pushing it may not prove as hard as last time.  This weekend I'm going to have a go at 13 miles image

Noticed a couple of you mentioned water cups at the stations.  You know for a while this put me off marathons outside the UK as I carry water the whole way round on my runs.  But I did Hamburg last year and for this race a lot of people, myself included, started with a bottle and if we were careful we were able to fill up that bottle with the cups.  We spilt a bit but I pretty much had water the whole way round using that method.  However Hamburg is a damn sight smaller than Berlin so not sure if this would work here.

• Options

Thanks for the info David and Orbutt. Berlin sounds quality, i'm also a WWII enthusiast so this marathon should be a real gem. Running through the Brandenburg Gate will be an awesome experience. image

The sightseeing will have to wait, however, there is much training to be done! A week filled with intervals, hill running and a 14 miler again at the weekend.

Happy training!