Options

Berlin Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    David White 20 wrote (see)

Plenty fluids on board Iainimage

Good work sir. Hope all is good.

• Options

Iain Been drinking a lot more as you suggested and I've changed my pre-training drinking so that I'm more hydrated. Ran 12 miles this morning, furthest I've ran since being in hospital. How's your training going? Don't you have an event soon?

• Options

In The Long Run starts Monday! Poorly trained, been under the weather for what seems like a month and running has suffered. Still, can't wait. Glad up hear you're doing better. 

http://inthelongrun2013.org/

Sponsor me!

https://www.justgiving.com/Iain-MooreITLR2013/

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Iain. You're part of a cracking bunch of folks and you'll find that everything will come together for a marvellous experience.

you may feel under prepared for ITLR but you are only at the beginning of your Berlin training so that is to be expected. You'll be great and this will kick start your Berlin training in the best possible way.

We're (virtually) right behind you, mate image

• Options

Iain What Orbutt saidimage

• Options

Orbutt and DW - thanks guys. Your support means loads. I'll keep you updated. Cheers. 

• Options

Good luck Iain.

18.5 miles done yesterday. That was hot. Another 70 mile week in the bank. image

11 weeks to go= 8 weeks of good training + taper image

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

11 weeks to go and I pulled a calf muscle on my LSR today. Damn.

At least a week out. image

for some reason I'm prone to muscle pulls - any tips?

• Options

Orbutt That's not to good mate. First thing you should be doing is icing the affected muscle. Is it your calf muscle that you have the reoccurring problem with? If so I would have a look at the following:

1) Are you doing much in a way of stretching pre & post exercise? Maybe try a Yoga, Pilates or Bodybalance class as part of your weekly regime or add in a session or 2 of running specific stretches.

2) Muscle weakness or imbalance. Can be corrected with a structured strength program.

3) Diet/fueling: Low carbohydrate levels in the muscles can affect muscle contraction when fatigue sets in.

Hope some of this helps

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

DW thanks for the tips. I have a full stretching session that I go through before every run but I'm a bit lapse post run.

i probably need to improve on my strength exercises. I do some but none specifically for my legs. Definitely something I should look into.

fuelling. I'm working on this at the moment.

• Options

Orbutt, compression socks for the calfs image

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Orbutt - I do a few engagement exercises pre-run and save the stretching until the end when the muscles are warm. Most stuff I've read goes for post rather than pre stretching. But it's good to loosen up pre or during first 5 mins.

• Options

I would agree with RS. I don't agree with pre run stretching but a slow warm up mile or two depending on how you are feeling. Save stretching to post run and then make sure its good!

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Interesting. What engagement exercises do you do?

I'm a bit lazy, post run, as I just want to hit the shower and collapse. I'll have to work on this.

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

They're for my glutes and abs. Glutes - stand upright and drag one foot back. Like you're pushing through when running. Movement is from your hip. Repeat 5-10 times each leg. Abs - on your back with legs bent take breath in amd on out breath engage pelvic floor first, then lower abs, then mid, then upper and on to criss-cross onea from lower ribs to put yourself into pilates neutral position. Breath out, release and repeat 5-10 times.

I find stretching for a few minutes after a run to be a great warm down. If I just collapse everything goes blah and tight in about 5 mins and takes ages to cool down.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Anyone who wants to see how Iain Moore and Emmy are getting on running across Europe to raise funds to end People Trafficking, they are on Facebook  - In The Long Run 2013 - or the website inthelongrun2013.org

They have been running in very high temperatures but the team is doing really well.

Latest update here

http://inthelongrun2013.org/2013/07/18/day-three-highs-and-lows/

• Options
    EHNEHN ✭✭✭

Thanks Orbutt image

• Options

Hope the folks are doing well in their challenge..... it must be hot out there.

A cut back week here. 10 weeks to go mean I need to try and a good 7 weeks of training ahead. Fingers crossed.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

I'm chomping at the bit here. Not run in a week due to a calf injury. I'm at the point where I want to run again but I don't want to risk compunding the injury.

I'm going to play it a bit safe, as I've rushed back before and ended up adding to the problem.

Gnash, gnash

• Options

Ttake it easy Orbutt!

On a bad note  here I have done something to my back. Not quite sure what, but very sore at most times but strangely ok when I ran last night?? Anyway ibuprofen and try to keep going - don't think post bags are going to help today thou!image

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Kaz - right back at you image

• Options

Just back from the physio where he confirmed my worst fear- that I have tendonitis in my achillies. No running for a couple of weeks, so Berlin is now looking doubtful unless I can get by on about 6 weeks of training. PB out the window for another year.

• Options

Bugger.

Ice Compression Elevation !!!

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Don't forget rest

DW - damn mate. Still, I reckon you've got got pretty good fitness base so even with 6 weeks off you could still get around Berlin - even if its run/walk.

Try to keep a positive frame of mind until the decision can be made one way or another.

Positive vibes mate.

• Options

6 weeks is very doable!! Been there and done that.........after a 7 week lay off!

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Yeah, but you're superhuman kazimage Not to say you're not DW! What can you do while you're off running?  It's pretty good weather for swimming. 

• Options

Hahaha RS........I have to disagree with that.........or I have become a whimp of late - just now I am sitting with a tens machine on my back.......image

Swimming would be good! Cycling?? Junior was told she'd manage that with the medial ligament strain??

• Options

Cheers for the advice guys.

Orbutt- trying to keep positive, but think after missing 2 weeks with the kidney stone and now the achillies, the pb I was aiming for is now gone. Felt it was recoverable after being in hospital, but now with the prospect of losing 3 weeks at this stage in my programme, maybe a walk run is an option that I will have to adopt as I really want to do the marathon.

Kaz- just remembered from your posts a wee while ago that you did a spring marathon after an operation. How did you approach your training from your operation to the the marathon? 

Kaz/Sal- physio says cycling next week, so I don't think my staff will mind if I commandeer a few spin classes off them over the next few weeks, I also have a swimming pool at my disposal

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Dw - I didn't manage to 'do a kaz' and walk/ran paris to come in at a massive personal worst. Had an absolute ball though hanging out and meeting randoms at the back. Think I drove some people mad but at least it took their mind off the pain. Did have one girl come up after crying and thanking us for keeping her going. image

• Options

DW - My training after the op,  just basically consisted of long slower than slow runs concentrating on time on my feet more than any thing else. There was no tempo, no intervals. I only managed a few 10 miles runs, 1 x15 mile run and 1x20 mile run in the time I had. Quite surprised I managed to get round really!image