Options

Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• Options

Well done everyone for getting round, I was amazed by the number of walking wounded, just shows what a monumental effort and achievement it is. my first marathon and I set a sub 4hr target. Getting to Edinburgh was quite tiring as I live near Exeter but what was worse was picking up a cold with 2 days to go. On the day I guard a lovely grey complexion and felt as rough as. I decided to go vote 4 hrs but slow down if it wasn't working out, the heat was scaring me too. I got to 10k in 50, did 13 miles in 1:50 and felt pretty good. Getting to 20 miles was ok but the follows I g 2 miles were covert hard. The run in was tough too, cramps hovering in my thighs waiting to strike, but being close to home and being a stubborn Yorkshireman got me to the end. Great support throughout but especially valuable over the last 6 miles. And the last half a mile was amazing. I crossed the line in 3:54:31 so was really really chuffed because I now don't have to do it again. And I managed to sprint past Scooby Doo 100m before the end - always a personal target when I run. Good luck to everyone in their next venture.

• Options

Brilliant effort Nick, well done!!! It wasn't ideal conditions and being sick you did really really well!! Stubborness and bloddymindedness really helps in Marathon running!!

• Options

I was feeling a little bit emotional and very inspired catching up on all your updates and marathon war stories from 23rd May onwards (first time i've had internet access since i flew into Edinburgh from Dubai for EMF weekend), and then I came across Elliot's engagement story and almost blubbed!  Congrats!

Wonderful tales from you all.  Just superb.  I did the Half and had an utterly marvellous experience - fantastic spectator support and great positive attitudes from any other runner I shared chat with on the course.  I've registered for the EMF Half 2014, but am waiting to see how the VLM ballot goes and the outcome may alter my EMF event choice...

Love the fact that the Half follows much of the same route as the Full, so I can empathise with your tales up to the 11mile point, and of course the Finish line experience too.

Think you'll continue with this thread for next year?  I really have felt so engaged with your Marathon journeys, I don't want the stories to end!

• Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭

Sounds like most people had a tough race. I was aiming for a sub 3:05 but alas it was not to be. 7 miles in i could feel that something was not right, and by mile 12 my knees gave way and i ended up hobbling the remaining 14 miles. image crossed the line in 4:11 but i was happy  to at least get across the line. bring on next year i say.

• Options

My first marathon and I have to admit I enjoyed every step of the first 23 miles, the last three miles were possibly the worst experience of my life though.image Every step hurt, I threw up and I was making noises that I didn't even realise were coming from me!!! I finished in 4:03:05 and although it was painful, I have already booked in for next year and registered for the Manchester marathon 4 weeks beforehand. image. Hope to be sub 4hrs so any advice would be more than appreciated.

Thanks to the organisers and stewards at Edinburgh, fantastic day.

• Options

Im Looking to make the step up from half to full marathon and have been looking at the Edinburgh 2014 marathon. Finished my 1st half (GNR)  in 2:00:13 and im on target for 1:50:00 ish this year judging by my times in training. 

My next half is in september. When should i start with a structured training plan for the full marathon? Do i continue through the winter months with a structured plan or just keep a steady weekly average and training plan at the start of 2014? 

Any advice for a first timer would be hugely appreshiated as i anticipate 26.2 is a mean animal in comparison to a half image

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Start around 18-20 weeks in advance if you can only get a 16week program then just plan to finish it early and repeat the last few weeks so you get 5 instead of 3 long runs if possible.

But if you loose the odd week or two due to injury or whatever... then you can still get the 16 core weeks of training in.

• Options

James, like you, I took the step up from the half marathon. I was doing my halfs between 1hr 41 - 1hr 45 but slowed the pace right down for my Marathon training. I work shifts so couldn't really stick to a proper training schedule but just kept gradually upping my distances, maybe doing each distance 4-5 times over a 3 week period with some shorter, faster runs in between before upping my distance by about 1.5 to 2 miles at a time. I didn't get the chance to do all the fartlek training etc that is meant to push you on but I wasn't out to break any records so the training worked for me!image Hope all goes well.

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

James: the thing that helps load is the slow long Sunday runs upto maybe 21 miles get your body used to that and then the extra 10k is easyimage

• Options

Booktrunk, have to agree, I was up to 20.5 miles which I ran a good few times before the big day. Although I crashed and burned in the last 3 miles I think this was more down to bad management of my fluid intake (too much water, gels and zero tabs)!image However, I still finished in a reasonable time (for me) so the training worked.image

• Options

Thanks for all the advice guys. Im looking.forward to the step up in distance image

• Options

Having failed in the ballot for London, I've signed up for Edinburgh 2014. Thought I'd check out this thread for thoughts, comments etc from the 2013 event.

Really looking forward to it and upping the training over winter.

The plan is to go for 3:45 having clocked up 4:17:45 in London back in April... a big, big challenge but I want to put it out there to make sure I don't lose focus.

Here's to a few drams after 26.2 - slainte!  

• Options
    HI Camberwell

I too failed for the London Marathon 2013.

I entered the Edinburgh marathon and had the best time of my life.

The crowds were fantastic,and the runners were so friendly.

Awesome experience.
  • Options

Hi Gary,

Great to hear - really looking forward to it - comments like that are making me look forward to it a lot.

London is my hometown but Edinburgh is one of my favourite cities to visit, so it feels like the natural alternative.

• Options

edinburgh is a great run and contrary to some stories I've heard, it is well supported and a really great run.

• Options

Another failure to get into the London Marathon so signed up for Edinburgh, my very first marathon as well so a little apprehensive.  The marathon route looks to be quite unsheltered for the most of it with only the first bit taking place in Edinburgh, is this correct?

• Options
    MatsmumMatsmum ✭✭✭

I was too late to apply for VLM - by 20 minutes! So I too have signed up for Edinburgh 2014. I am running it with my daughter - it will be her first marathon.  I ran ...er...plodded....VLM in April, and that was my first marathon. Now I can't imagine a year without a marathon to train for. Have you booked accommodation yet?

• Options

Signed up for Edinburgh too, quite lucky in that I quite literally live round the corner from the start line.

From my experience with the GNR this year, I'd advise anyone who needs to to book accommodation as soon as they enter as it will get EXPENSIVE

• Options

All those who have ran this before. Whats the logistics like? Am I best parking in park and ride and using shuttle service or getting a hotel near city centre nd leave the car in hotel car park? 

• Options

Hi James, am also stepping up to full distance for Ed 2014, my times aren't as speedy as yours but they're not massively different (1:57:40 in Ed Half 2013, targetting 1:55:00 for next Half in Dec), so I'll look forward to sharing some training progress chat on here.

Am afraid I'm not much help on the travel side.  I've done the Ed Half twice, both times I paid a vast amount for a central hotel so that I could walk to the start point, and I bought a bus ticket to get back to the city centre afterwards but was fortunate enough each time to meet friends and get a lift.  I've again bought a bus ticket for 2014 and we'll see if this is the year I finally use it!

Sorry this isn't much practical help to you, maybe this new post will trigger additional responses, either way you'll definitely get more sensible advice as we get closer to race day.

• Options

I live in Edinburgh, and will run it again next year. I suppose if you are travelling to the city you would be best to leave the car at the hotel and get a bus ticket back to the city centre. If you are travelling with someone and they are driving, there is always somewhere to park in Musselburgh. My wife parked 10 mins away from the finish down by the theatre in M'burgh earlier this year with not much of a problem.

• Options

Excellent guys thanks for the advice. Im looking forward to it. Just trying to decide how to get to and from the race. I live in Newcastle-upon-tyne so have even consider ed driving back the same day.

• Options

Why not just get the train James, straight into the centre of Edinburgh and a nice journey along the East coast.  Also, you could keep the legs moving on the way back ;0)

• Options

Another good shout. But I will be travelling up the morning of the marathon. Not sure I will get a train that early?

• Options

Hello everyone,

I have just read this thread with great interest. It's really nice to see how much everyone enjoyed their marathon experience.

I am running my first marathon this Sunday in Edinburgh (oh dear!)

I just cannot seem to find any information for spectators! 

From your experiences last year could anyone let me know the best places for people to stand? 

Is it possible to cross over the route at any point i.e. to support at mile 11 and then again at 24? 

Any advice/tips you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

Clare

• Options

There's a spectator's guide available online here:

http://www.edinburgh-marathon.com/documents/www.edinburgh-marathon.com/emf_2014_spectator-guide_low_for_web.pdf

As the route from mile 9 to the finish is an out and back, spectators can stand almost anywhere from Musselburgh Race Course onwards and will see you twice.  Some of the route has barriers at the side, but from memory, spectators could cross from one side to the other at parts.

Good luck!

• Options

Ah ok interesting! So there isn't a barrier or anything in the middle, its literally one road with people running in two directions?

Thanks for the info image 

• Options

Can anyone recommend anything for breakfast on Sunday morning that I can make before hand and eat in my room, I want to eat breakfast at 6am so not sure if the hotel will be serving breakfast that soon,

• Options

I had the same concern so have been training on long runs with a bagel and peanut butter for breakfast ~2 hours before, and a cereal bar or banana an hour later.. seems to have worked so far, but I am a marathon newbie so will have to wait and see!