Options

Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• Options

Surelrb that's the whole point?

more running = more cakes + more curry + more beer = only slight weight gain as opposed to massive belly

• Options

I don't tend to eat much after a long run. The more I run, the less I eat. It is then terrifying when you run less and eat more! 

I often train with music, but won't race. I find a useful distraction on a marathon is trying to do the mental arithmetic for expected finish time when you pass the mile markers. Smart watches can do this for you which doesn't help. Chatting to others in first half always helps as well. Then it is head down and count down the miles. The best bit is when there are single figure miles left!

Long flight back yesterday. Extremely bumpy flying over the Gobi desert. Managed to get some wine on the ceiling and there was stuff everywhere. Anyway, feeling real rough this morning. 

Happy (short) runs everyone?

• Options

Welcome home hill header.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one not losing massive lbs ( as hoped unfortunately) through training for a marathon-too damn hungry and needing to carb load ( me n carbs have a lifetime battle). 

Was wondering what viewing points to recommend to family. Ie 13 miles by power station then cross road to see me on the way back??? Then drive to finish??

Wondering what everyone else has planned. 

What time are you all thinking of getting to the start? Any tips?? I'm starting from London road. 

Tried a 8 mile yesterday only managed 3!! This infection is worse than I thought. It's now 2 weeks since I did my only 20 mile run , I'm going to try for 8 today and hope what I've done is enough ;(. 

Also looks like next Sunday will be warm image(. 18 degs according to bbc weather. 

Happy last medium runs today people. 

• Options

I'm going to go out for my 10 miles in the next half hr or so. If people could recommend viewing spots that would be great!

• Options

I HATE GREENFLIES!!

• Options

Will be getting a train from Glasgow getting in at 9:05 into Waverley. Hope this gives me enough time to

a. visit the loo!

b. stretch a bit

c. find the pen

I reckon best bet is family getting to the end if driving.

Good luck all

• Options

Friends and family viewing is suggested anwhere after Musselborough. If you look at the map, there are several roads that head down from the B1361 ie the road parallel to the coast. Get them to drive as far down one these roads then park and walk down to the coat. When you are running you will notice these 'hotspots' of support that tie in with these access roads. Best avoid the one near the 2nd and 3rd relay station. Sorry cant remember which road this is, but the route map should show it. 

I hate running in the heat. Last marathon temperatures I did was sub-zero and perfect! Edinburgh always seems hot at marathon time??

• Options

Managed a decent 10 miles in the end. Happy with that psychologically more than anything else. OK might have pushed myself a little bit as got carried away with a good flow but plan on doing super super light mega shorties and only 2 max 3 before big day.

• Options

Hillheader thanks for the info re spectators. I forgot about 'relay' stations. Where on earth did you do a marathon that was sub zero??

• Options

If you have not done a marathon with a relay before, they are a real pain. You have run 18 miles say, go past a relay station and some bloke with a smile and fresh legs zooms out and cruises past. Trip em up I say!  Cold marathon was at North Pole last month. -34 deg C. Ace!

Got my number now. 2688. White start.

• Options

Well done Cbo. Glad you've had a good run. Half this running stuff is in the head I think. Confidence is a big plus. 

• Options

That is crazy going- North Pole-but very impressive.

That was my exact thoughts re the relay. I will not cope well with fresh zippy things running out whilst I'm doing mental gymnastics to keep myself focused....Urrrgh. Think i'll go on the website now and find out where the little blighters will be....

• Options

Thanks Hillheader for the heads up on travel for the finish.

• Options

Lothian buses.com has a good city route map  for the buses if anyone is staying in and around Edinburgh for a day or two.

• Options
    Gary AnnettGary Annett ✭✭✭
    7.5 miles yesterday as the last of my sunday runs are over (except 1).

My pace is still not good,I try and run slower than my race pace but end up running 50 seconds a mile quicker.

I really hope that I can manage to control myself on Sunday and not go of too fast.

Hope your all well and looking forward to it after all our training.
  • Options

This time next week it will all be over -one way or another- image..

I was looking into electrolyte replacement as 10 yrs ago I did ( to date my only) half marathon. Was perhaps a little under weight at the time, hadn't carb loaded and it was a unusual scorching hot day. I drank only water and couldn't eat a thing afterwards- end result I ended up collapsing after a few hrs or more drinking water and no food etc. Classic ,but unknown error on my part, of drinking too much water and not replenishing salts. Therefore, I have just found the following site ( in Runners world magazine this month), and have ordered some 1000mg tablets for the day ( I sweat a lot)...

http://www.myh2pro.com/index.htm

I am certainly anything BUT underweight these days ( 2 kids later), will be carb loading, but thinki it will be handy having a few of these tabs in my runners belt just in case.

Any one else had experience of these or the 'Zero' tablets??

Planning on running Tuesday and Thursday this week, just not sure of distance/intensity yet.....

• Options

Cbo, I also sweat a lot and suffer in the heat. There is a well known danger of too much water and little salt (hyponatremia). This can be fatal in extreme cases as you will have heard. I use the zero tablets a lot for training (when don't need energy). I also use nuun which is similar. On ultras I find that energy drinks are difficult to keep down so use these tablets in water to get the hydration and to aid in ingesting energy gels and other food (Washing them down). The other stuff that is great to stop cramps are a product called Succeed tablets. Essentially various salts in a pill form for swallowing. Sounds similare to the h2o product in your link.  

All said, don't experiment before or during the race. 

Bunged up with a cold now. Hoping to shift it by end of week. 8 mile run yesterday but probably no more running till Sunday. 

• Options

Keeping a close eye on the weather now and have been for a few days. I'm pretty sure it's pointless looking at weather forecasts a week in advance but whatevs. Was forecasting a high of 14°C a few days ago. Now down to 11°C. Chance of rain was 0% yesterday, went up to 60% this morning and now showing at 20%. 

So yeah, pretty pointless looking so far out. I'd definitely take a cloudy 11°C with the occassional shower right now though.

• Options

Thanks Hillheader. I had never heard of hyonatremia until a few years ago when I started running again and put 2 and 2 together. It wasn't a pleasant experience and quite scary that it put me off running anything like a marathon for a long time. Even after I completed Paris for a few hrs afterwards I was so nervous something was going to happen like that. I'm quite lucky I have a stomach as strong as steel. I can drink literally anything ( that must be the Scottish genes right there)  and I'm fine so I never worry about anything tasting disgusting or giving anything a go...

Mankinduk- I've been looking at BBC weather, which said 17 deg ;-(....

• Options
    SesamoidSesamoid ✭✭✭

Hi All, hope everyone is fit and healthy?!?!

Race pack finally arrived so thank feck for that image I'm not moaning in case I get a telling off from Hillheader image but now also got a stinking cold so no more running for me until Sunday either! Foot's not any better either (it's actually worse) but at least it's still attached to my leg so I can still run!

Dave - how's it going? Glad you got your pack too! I wold have thought for the cost of our entries we would have got it first via courier service!! Anyway re my time, no idea mate, just going to wait and see on the day. The aim of doing this again was to justify to myself that I could do least under 4 but if I feel up to it on the day I'll go for sub 345 as trained for London. Definitely going off conservativley to see how foot is and then will pick it up after a few miles if I'm up to it, just going to take it easy and enjoy the day! 330 is going to have to wait until next year....

Re ipods, I'll be wearing mine. Didn't wear it at VLM and I so wanted it to drown everyone out after mile 14 so I could dissappear into my own wee world. I know I'm not supposed to say things like that as its not PC in the running world but this Marathon's for me so I want to be completely in my zone for the full 26.2 miles! I know they're banned but I have done the 1/2 3 or 4 times and cheered the Marathon also and their were more people wearing them than not (once the superfast were past) I also suffer from really bad Tinnitus and the music helps with my condition. But until such times that the organisers start really cracking down on it if it is in their rules and start taking their rules seriously, I wont either (cue abuse! don't care, not having the debate here image)

PS - I listen to quality Italo house on my ipod when running definitely not Robbie and Beyonce image

PPS - Gary - slow down image

PPPS - CBO - hope you're feeling better, your posts always cheer me up!

• Options

Hello All!

I've just decided that I'll run after having seen a physio yesterday who thinks I just have soft tissue pain rather than a stress fracture.

I save my music/audiobook til after mile 21 when the going gets tough. It gives me a real boost. Nobody has ever told me off for it and I think in a lot of marathons the field is more sparse by that point or rather spread out and I don't think it is so much of a problem. I have in honesty encountered problems with runners who have earphones in weaving right into me and seen chaos caused by them, but as people say so many runners use them during races that I think the proportion of inconsiderate users must be less than 1% and it is a shame that using music has such a bad rep. Maybe it's a volume thing? All I know is it really bloody helps in those grim last miles. Having said that I ran Manchester last month and the last 5 miles were a joy. Who knew?!

• Options

All,

Just wanted to say that reading through this thread has put me in a really good place going into Sunday. Ive done 90% of my training on my own (poor me) image but can see that Sunday is going to be full of people with the same attitude so thanks!

I hope you all get the time you want and that the weather plays nice on the day.

Good luck to you all.

See you all at the finish line! image

• Options

hiya everyone,

I too am looking at the weather forecast like an obsessed fool, and check every site until I find one that I like!!!. can't believe that it can vary sooo much from one site to another!  don't know why I keep checking either cos what will be will be and we are going to run anyway!  think its something to keep me occupied with all this taper lark.  Glad to hear most injuries seem to be clearing up, I am really excited now and just can't wait for the day.  see you all thereimage

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Had a bad week last week, I was on call and busy so ended up missing a midweek 5M easy run and my 3M easy run on Saturday. I was away down south visiting family the weekend but managed to get up early Sunday morning and run along the canal and got 10 miles in. That made me feel a bit better and did some fartlek training this morning that has put a bit of a zip back. Easing off now until Sunday....Good luck everyone!

• Options
    Gary AnnettGary Annett ✭✭✭
    BRING IT ON !!!! (In caps i know).

everyone on this forum must meet at the finish and have a celebratory drink.

If the fast ones don't mind waiting for the slow ones. lol

I will be in shorts and a t-shirt and covered in sweat.

May the force be with you on the 26th.

(That was from my son Jack)
  • Options

Talking of having a pint Gary. Anyone fancy doing the Edinburgh 26 double. That's 26 miles of the marathon followed by the 26 pubs in the Good Beer Guide (naturally not all on Sunday night!) Actually there are only 25 but stick in the Gothenburg pub at Prestonpans, which is a belter, and you've got the magical number.

That my friends is when you hit the wall, literally.

If anyone is staying in Edinburgh over the Bank Holiday see you in Oxford Bar (famous for Rebus) just off Princes Street Monday afternoon.

• Options

To earn 26 pints, you should really do a "hairy". That is do the half marathon followed immediately by the full. There is just enough time to get back from the finish half. I haven't done this by the way!

• Options

Might be easier to skip the running and go straight to the pub!

• Options

BBC has the 5 day weather now. Looking good. Just need to shake this cold now.