Options

RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Options

Ali - nice tempo run there, were you actually running on the sand as well ? Rest day tomorrow, intervals on Thursday, rest day Friday and Magners & kebab on Saturday

Big_G - I would also recommend looking on the Fell Runners Association (FRA) website, you might find some 'interesting' races near to you that you may enjoy. They have just released a stack of dates for races next year too.

• Options

No Carter I didn't run on the sand. I do love running on the sand especially in summer where I can take my shoes off and it's nice and warm but not today, it was so windy and cold I thought I'd keep to the slightly more sheltered path. Can't wait for my Magners and kebab. image

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Carter - I had a look at that link, so thanks for that.  I do recognise the names of a couple of events near me so I'll keep them in mind.  I'm stalling slightly as if I do the Club Championship, I'll have to do 12 races in total which is quite a time commitment for me.  I've entered 5 events already and I expect some of those may be Championship races, but not all.  Also, if I do a marathon (which I want to) that won't be on the Club Championship.  So 12-15 races is a fair bit for me to consider, together with marshalling at 4-5 events on weekends when I'm not racing.

Of course, when the races get published for the championship it may not be for me, and then I'll have more time to do other stuff.  I do like the idea of the championship though so I'm keeping that open for now.

I know a few of us on here like parkruns, but I saw this on my facebook feed today.  I also really admire Chrissie Wellington so bringing these two together seems a great idea.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/10445502/Ironman-legend-Chrissie-Wellington-steps-up-to-inspire-new-generation-to-run.html

• Options

3 legged race sounds like a laugh....

• Options

12.2 miles @ 9:35 for me today. The first 10 miles felt very easy, as good as it's been in months. Legs started to tire in the last couple of miles on the climb home but to be expected. 2 days 2 good runs means Carter is a happy boy image

• Options

Great news Carter!

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Nice one Carter!

I went along to a club session last night, which was tough (they always are on the Wednesdays!).  It was a pyramid session on the flat.  It was run for 1min, 2min, 3min, 4min, 5min and then back down, with 1 minute recovery.  I know it's only as hard as you want to make it, but the instruction from the coach was to run consistently but run hard.  I've no idea of splits etc, as I didn't press the lap button on my watch, but it was a tough session.  There were about 30 people in the session and I found myself in a smallish group where there was some friendly competition going on, where we were all pushing each other.  It's this type of session that I would never get the most out of if I did it by myself, so although it was tough, I came away from the session knowing I'd had a good workout.  The slow jog back to the club house was really hard image

• Options

imageGood stuff Carter!

G I agree those types of sessions are hard to do alone. The 'race' element of running with others really helps.

I've been at my parents since Tuesday night visiting as I'm on my last week of the year's holidays. Yesterday me and my mum did a body balance class at they gym, beforehand I did 20 mins progressive on the treadmill starting at 9km/h and ending at 15km/h. (With that speed literally done for a whole of two minutes....I can't imagine what it feels like to do a 20 min 5k!!!) body balance is a great class for runners who have lost a bit of flexibility. Good stretching and strengthening class.

today me and the mother are just away to do a short sharp session then I'm not running till my HM on Sunday. I've also been horseriding today (can't remember if I've told you guys I do this before) and had a tough session, legs are a touch achy so from tonight till Sunday I'm looking forward to some hot baths and lots of chilling out!!!

• Options

Ali - don't forget the magners and kebab on Saturday, vital if you want to PB on Sunday......

• Options

Hello all & Hello again Spoons you quiet man you!

Great to hear all the plans afoot for the season ahead. I have been taking it easy post Dublin - this week just a 9 miler @ 8.40 pace on Sunday, Speed session at the club on Tuesday & 6 miler @ 7.45 pace this evening. Glutes still feel a bit tight & sore!

My plans for the season ahead have become a bit clearer today - I came home to a nice email informing me that I have got into Berlin on the 2nd chance ballot! Woohoooo!

So thoughts are Connemara Ultra (39 miles) in April, Mourne Way Marathon (trail/mountainous marathon) in June ..... both to be run for enjoyment rather than flat out and to build a base towards Berlin training commencing in July..... sub 3.30 will be mine. Oh yes.

• Options

Nice session Big_G

• Options

Ricky - great news about Berlin. I find that trail/fell runs have definitely made me a stronger runner so I reckon if you get plenty of off road stuff in youe 3:30 at Berlin is going to be no problem.

Spoons - have you got any races planned ?

I think there is only Ali racing this weekend, what is everyone else up to ? I've just plotted a 15 mile run for tomorrow that takes in the Derwent River and then off into the fells of Grindleford and Eyam. The weather doesnt look to bad for tomorrow, a balmy 12 degress

• Options

Ricky- wonderful news about Berlin!  I would really love to run it!  But maybe looks like 2015 now.... it's such a great city, have you been before?  If you can, I would really recommend building a long weekend/holiday around it as it is such a fantastic place.

Sub 3:30 will definitely be yours!

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Good news Ricky.!

I got a steady 12-miler in after work today, which is the longest run I've done since DMV 4 weeks ago. There're no issues to report, although it was a bit of an uninspiring route and quite cold but I'm pleased I got the miles in. 

I'm planning a parkrun tomorrow in my new trail shoes. I'll see what the conditions are like but I'm hoping to do it as a tempo-paced run. I'll more than likely get out on Sunday for 6-8ish which should take me up to 32-35ish for the week for the second week running so I'm happy with that really. 

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

I got my parkrun in with an unofficial time of 22:10. The trail shoes definitely helped so I'm glad I've got them! I went out quicker than I had anticipated but as I was feeling ok I decided to go with it. It's the fastest time I've had on this course for a few weeks, so I'm quite pleased following my 12 miler last night. 

How are you feeling for tomorrow Ali?

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ali - best of luck for tomorrow. What is your race strategy ?

Gig G - great time from you today. Seems like your new trail shoes helped a lot.

Ricky - great news about Berlin. I have been looking at the Connemara marathon and that looks tough enough. Not really a PB event I reckon but interesting all the same. An Ultra in the Connemrara mountains. That will be really tough. But go for it. It wil put you in great shape for Berlin in September where you will smash the 3:30 barrier.

Spoons - great to have you back

Carter - Great running fom you this week. You must be pleased with your recovery. Keep it up. 

I was away with work this week so did not get as much running in as I would like. Every time I run on the dreaded treddie I overheat big style and there is a river below me. Not a pleasant sire. On Tuesday I ran 4 miiles at a tempo pace of just over 7min/mile. Great run and I nearly slipped in the pool of water I generated in the bathrooom while shaving afterwards. Funny.

Wednesday saw me do another 4 miles at a slightly more sedate pace of 8min/mile.

Went to my local parkrun again this morning. It was very cold but much dryer underfoot this week than last week. Simiar strategy. Keep everything sub 8min/mile. Was 3 seconds faster this week than last week. 

Planning a longer run tomorrow.

• Options

Hi G.

I am feeling quite relaxed and good about tomorrow.  My recent successes at meeting new goals of PBs in the marathon and 5k have given me a bit of confidence that I can do what I set out to do, versus how I felt a few months ago when everything was really a struggle.

To do a new PB (not by much) I think I would have to maintain 8:17 pace or so on average... I think I am going to set off at 8:25 pace and see how that feels tomorrow.  Haven't done a sub 1:50 HM since February so am going to aim for this as the benchmark rather than a new PB as I think that may be ambitious but you never know!

The course is meant to be pretty nice, a kind of out and back with a loop attached to it, a mostly downhill last 5k, only a few undulations on course.

I will report back after and let you know how I got on!

• Options

Carl- didn't see your post before I posted but kind of answered anyway in my reply to G- I am going to go out for 8:25 pace and see how it feels, I am told that the undulations in the race and the climbs are mostly in the first part therefore save some energy for the end and make the most of a mostly downhill last 3 miles.

• Options

Also Carl- fantastic on the parkrun, you're really making headway with those 5ks now.

• Options

Big_G - nice parkrun today.

Carl - that pesky work seems to be getting in the way of your running. Enjoy the long run tomorrow, When are you planning to start your marathon training plan ?

Ali - the Magners (3 of) and kebab tonight will guarantee you 8:00 pace image Best of luck for tomorrow.

I've been struggling to get my arse out of bed on Saturday mornings to do my long runs but I headed out in to the Peaks at 8:30 this morning, hopefully I can get back into the routine of early Saturday morning long runs. It was quite cold but extremely windy so I was suitably wrapped up. I planned a route that took in mainly trails, when I say trails in the Peak District I mean the terrain can be quite rocky, and it was. It was also  extremely wet and boggy in places so much so that I lost the trail a couple of times. The conditions made my slow pace even slower and it was really hard going. I ended up doing about 14.5 miles (the watch packed up a couple of miles before the end) and averaging 11:00 min miles. I was on my feet for about 2.5 hours so my good progress continues. It's been such a long time since I have done such a long run on the trails that my feet are pretty mashed at the moment and everywhere below both knees is aching. No knee pain again so all is good. So, that's 31 miles in 3 runs for me this week so happy with that. 

In support of Ali I intend to consume Magners and a kebab this evening image

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Good luck tomorrow Ali.

I've just entered an offroad 10-miler for tomorrow, called The Drogo which is a hilly offroader near a castle on Dartmoor.

The course description is quite amusing:

"The front runners will charge down [the hill] so you might see a few lying at the bottom"

http://www.swrr.co.uk/subsites/drogoweb/course.htm

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Big G - best of luck with your 10 miler tomorrow. Sounds like it could be good fun.

Ali - sensible approach to tomorrow. Best of luck. You might just surprise yourself.

Carter - yes work can be a bit of a nuisance at times but it does pay the bills. I guess the only positive is that while it is preventing me from getting a decent weeks runing in every week at the moment, it is not hurting my spring marathon training.

Now as I am still undecided on which spring marathon to do, it is hard to know when exactly I need to start. What I do know is that I want to get a solid 18 weeks training in.

If I was to run Paris or Manchester, which are on 6th April, I need to start w/c 2nd Dec.

If I was to run the Connemarathon this is also on 6th April.

If I do Edinburgh, this is on 25th May, so training needs to start on 20th Jan.

If I do Milton Keynes this is on 5th May, so training would need to kick off on 30th Dec.

So loads of options. Each one different.

• Options

Good luck tomorrow Ali & BigG!

Carter - your progress is indeed relentless... good going sir image

Carl - you have shocked me by highlighting that Connemara is 18 weeks from 2nd Dec!

Well I am shocked to discover I have put on 7lbs since Dublin 3 weeks ago image .... so time to get back into a more regular running routine again I think (or else wire my jaws shut) ...... 10 miles of the hilliest local country lanes planned in the morning with the GWK (Great White Kenyan).

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Urrrmm - after reading the course description (particularly things like "At 3 miles you hit the first major hill") I thought I'd have a quick look on Garmin Connect for a course profile of The Drogo, and kind of wish I hadn't image  Devon hills - you gotta love 'em image

/members/images/465898/Gallery/Drogo.jpg

No idea how to pace something like this so I'll run on feel.  I know a guy from my Club who is around the same level as me who is doing it, so I'll see if I can keep him in my sights.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Big G - that looks like a toughish course. But you will be fine.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Well, I've completed my first ever off road race (The Drogo 10) and I really enjoyed it image  Carter - this event was on the fellrunner site you mentioned.

I entered the event on a bit of a whim last night, not knowing very much about it and had presumed it was a reasonably small event (i.e., a couple of hundred at most).  However, there were well over 500 entrants who had pre-registered so it was bigger than I had expected and with entrants on the day they may have got close the 550 limit.

I bumped into a few people who I knew, and they had completed the event before so there was lots of chat about the course and there was a great atmposhere before the gun went off.  I had checked the route profile before the event and had decided to go off steady and see how I felt on the inclines.  

I had also intended to keep in sight of a fellow club mate who is a similar standard to me on half marathons (he didn't know of my plan to try and keep him in sight!).   However, within the first mile it was clear I wasn't going to keep up with him as he was like a mountain goat going down the hills whereas I.....urrrm, wasn't.

In the first couple of miles I was warned that there would be congestion as we had to cross a stile and also a bridge, but that was fine.  I (and everyone else around me) probably lost about a minute or two here, so nothing to worry about.  However, if this race gets put into the Club Championship (which it has in the past) I'd probably start further forward in an effort to lose less time here.

I got to mile 3 and the hill just reared up, and it was muddy/stoney.  At this point I thought about running it, but I knew there was another massive hill at mile 8 so I decided to walk and conserve energy, as did most other people around me.  There were a couple of people who were gamely trying to run it, but I found myself overtaking them anyway.

At the top of the hill, I found myself in a group of about 20 people who were all more or less my ability and we were having a bit of banter and it was a great atmosphere.  I was secretly trying to pick off a few people, and I'm sure there were others who were trying to pick me off, which is all fine and to be expected image

At about mile 5 there was a steep descent and this was probably the biggest learning experience for me as I was incredibly wary going down here as it was really dodgy underfoot, whereas other people (who I had just passed) were bounding down and re-overtaking me.  If I'm to get better at these events, I need to figure out how to run down these hills!

From mile 6-8 it was a flat section along the river (still muddy/stoney) and I repassed a few people and I got into a bit of a rhythm.  There were a couple of small rivers/lakes crossing the path so we got soaked, but it was all fine.

Mile 8 came around and I again took on the same strategy and walked it, and even with this my legs were feeling like jelly by this point.  However, at the top of this there is only a mile or so to go and I pushed on at the top and finished strong.

I finished in an unoffical time of 1hr34mins, which I'm quite pleased with really.  I know I'm not going to break any records, but it was a great event and at only £13 I'd do it again as the t-shirt is a nice techincal one.

So, all in all, a nice run out....I'm now off t'pub image

• Options

Big_g - well done on your first ever fell race. If you enter anymore in the future that are shorter (around the 6 mile mark) you can expect steeper and longer climbs and decents ! I ran my first fell race in my kanadias and it was wet and boggy so they didn't handle the decents to will (neither did I). If you want to do more fell races I would suggest more appropriate footwear, something with more of a grip for when you are tanking down those hills.  9.5 min miles is good going though so well done. 

• Options

Well done G!  Great race!  Really satisfying to do a new distance or new type of race and set that first PB.  Also stops you putting too much pressure on yourself to perform well as you know it's the first time!

So I did the Fraserburgh Half Marathon today.  I will cut the surprise from the end of the tale by telling you my time was 1:52, not as quick as I was hoping, but you can all be sure that I was pretty pleased actually with this in the end due to how I felt on the day and the effort I gave!  Anyway, report:

Cold start to the day, about 2 degrees when I was leaving this morning, and as I drove up to Fraserburgh the car started beeping at me to let me know it was freezing there.  But beautiful and sunny, although also pretty windy!  Was feeling good on the run up to the race and aiming for somewhere around 1:50.

Miles 1-3 I did in just over 25 minutes so was pretty on track, these started with uphill miles away from the start line, through some of the town, then started to go into a country estate.  Pretty scenery in the country. This is when the ground started to get muddy- I knew there were some 'trails' as part of the race but didn't realise they were quite so wild and muddy, expected more like footpaths but was actually like dirt trails, quite narrow at parts as well as rocky and bumpy.

After mile 3 I was thinking, I am expecting mile markers for miles 4, 5, 6 but didn't see any...I was getting a bit confused not to mention not knowing what pace I was going (no GPS technology- though you'll be glad to hear I'm getting one for Xmas!)  Anyway to cut a long story short I found out at mile 10, yes 10, that some of the trail sections were missing mile markers and on the road sections the numbers were spray painted onto the roads- I just wasn't looking down as I was expecting to see them at roadside like the first few!  Oh well live and learn.  So in short didn't really know how I was doing till quite late on...

After a couple of miles through the country estate we were back on the road.

Ran a good few miles on the road and this is where I struggled slightly, think it must have been from around mile 5-7 or so... anyway were running against a very strong headwind and I was passed by quite a few people here including an American chap I would later catch up with and run the last few miles with.  This was a very exposed section and I didn't enjoy it.

After the tough road section which was a bit dull as well as being tiring against the wind, we wound our way back onto a trail which was the muddiest section of the race.  It was also a long gentle uphill and quite tiring, I kept slipping around, wished I had trail shoes.  But my saving grace was a woman who overtook me here, as soon as she decided to overtook I decided to stay with her, she was going quite a good speed and we overtook numerous other runners during this section of the race (which was up to about mile 9 I do believe).

Once we finished this trail section we were back on road and on the approach to mile 10 (where I FINALLY noticed the spray painted number ON the road) I overtook my 'carrot' lady and stayed ahead of her until the end.  At mile 10 I was at 1:24 and knew my chances of getting under 1:50 were slim.

The last 3 miles were mostly unremarkable, pretty gentle downhill all the way back into town, I was by now running with the American chap and we exchanged a few pleasantries, he was finding things easier than me and so did most of the chatting but I appreciated that.

The last mile into the town seemed to go on forever, especially the end, you run into the road the community centre is on, and it's an uphill final 0.3 miles or so, including an uphill grassy finish which is not so easy on the legs....  Anyway, me an

• Options

Anyway, me and Mr America did a good sprint finish despite the uphill, and I was fooking knackered.

I know it's not the time I was hoping for but I've come away really pleased anyway.  A few things were tougher than expected; the cold, the wind, and the muddy conditions- I'm sure if it were drier under foot it would have been easier.

I now know looking back on my training that although my mileage overall was OK, due to not doing as much long running as I wanted, and especially not enough longer runs with HM pace chucked in, I didn't quite have the speed I could have today.

My endurance hasn't really decreased- I could have run on slowly forever, but my speed has certainly not stayed at a great level for HM distance!

Anyway, great day out, the race was lovely, the course was mostly really pretty and a bit 'different' and I got a great medal and T shirt!  And at the end there was a FAB spread of food and drink... just what I needed.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Big G  - Considering you only entered this race last night I think you did really well. Great report. Funny how the smaller events see to generate more atmosphere amongst the runners than the larger ones.

For your fist fell type race I think you did really well. You made sensible decisions on the hills and it is no surprise that you were cautious on the descent as you have never done this at race pace before. All part of the learning experiuence.

Interesting what you say about your position within the crowd at the start. Yesterday when I was lining up for the parkrun and I was a fair bit back, I overheard other runners wondering if the starting location had a direct impact on finish time and they concluded that it did. In the case of my local parkrun I tend to agree with them as the start is narrow, winds uphill very quickly and then bears left into the woods. The first 0.25 miles can be very slow and this dictates your race with 5k being too short to make it back up. If you try the hills make it even harder.

You seem to have really enjoyed it even if it was tough on the legs. Well done you.