Options

RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Unhinged and proud  image 

• Options

RE the alcohol question again. How did you marathoners last weekend play this? I am back in my family home on Friday and I have a large Irish family, thats all im saying. image Not planning on necking a bottle of wine or anything, but think a couple of beers to settle me may do the trick. 

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Sean - I had a week off the juice before the big day. I drink lots at the weekend normally but really felt the benefit of a week off. That said some people encourage having a tipple to settle the nerves. i would recommend not having anything though

• Options

Ali & Nell .... Those Kinvaras sound interesting - peeps seem to either love 'em or hate 'em though!

Sean - you've got me intrigued and i'm off to do some googling. I actually have a pair of Adidas adizero of the golf variety but don't think the soft spikes would be any good on the Tarmac image

Carl - I am on my 3rd pair of Mizuno Wave Inspires (1 pair of WI8's & 2 of WI9's) also after coming from Asics Kayanos and was converted finding them light & fast. Just fancy trying something different - case of grass is greener and all thought I suppose! Those Adidas sound interesting - I could be tempted away from Mizuno!

Carter - you are recovering well & obviously didn't 'empty yourself' on Sunday ... tut tut must try harder ... Just kidding!!imageimage

• Options

Carl- how you feeling about London now?  Dead excited for you.

Carter- you asked about a time for Edinburgh.  I have 3 goals which have changed a lot over the course of the past few months...actually, really just my A goal has changed, the others are the same, but here they are currently: A Goal- 3:50, B Goal- 3:55, C Goal: New PB.  Bearing in mind current PB is 3:59 on a harder course than Edinburgh and very undulating.  Personally I'm inclined to think I can do 3:55 if I really give it my all and that's what I would be delighted with.  

Sean- you can watch London on the TV afterwards.  Believe me it's MORE exciting to go back and rewatch when you have the starry eyed position of having actually run it.  I did it last year and my mum recorded the whole thing for me and when I went to visit her a few days later guess what the first thing I did was?  Watched the entire coverage of the London Marathon from start to finishimage  Going 'ooooh, I saw him, oooooh, this was a tough bit, ooohhhhh I want to cry again' all the way through

Also Sean re: drinks.  I cut down substantially before Edinburgh and Loch Ness (not London can't remember why... must have had a lot on) but actually on the night before Edinburgh AND Loch Ness had one small glass of wine to settle the nerves.  And felt totally fine the next day.  And ran PBs.  Anyway I did it early enough that I could fully rehydrated after- and beforehand was extremely hydrated too!  That's the main thing. It's probably best to have nothing but don't kill yourself with worry having a beer.

G- I'm so sorry about your pet image Sad news.

I got in 6.3 miles tonight nice and easy pace and legs are feeling good now after last week's heavy week.  Been a lovely day in Aberdeen too if still chilly.

• Options

Oh just saw your post Ricky- I love the Kinvaras- and anecdotal evidence proves their popularity- I swear about 40% of parkrunners in Aberdeen are in them...

I used to have the Adidas Adizeros and though they are very very lightweight they felt too structured for me and were uncomfortable on my feet, I remember they blistered me.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Sean - yes I do seem to enjoy the sessions on the track. A bit of a glutton for punishment.

I am firmly on the water. Starting some energy drinks from tomorrow.

4 miles at 8:57 m/m for me tonight. Felt really sluggish. If the legs move like this on Sunday it will be a long day. Every day I look at the forecast it seems to be getting warmer on Sunday. Now showing 11 - 15 deg for the 10am through 1pm timeframe.

Ali - heading to the Expo tomorrow morning. Am hoping that this gets me really focussed. I aim to sort my race strategy on Friday. Gives me limited time to think about it. Tomorrow is all about getting my carb loading plan thought out.

I hit 550 miles tonight. Most I have ever run in training. image

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Big G - tough couple of days for you. Hang in their buddy. Loads of things to look forward to.

• Options

Carl- ENJOY.  I loved the London expo.  Really lively and exciting atmosphere.

• Options

Cheers for the alcohol advice. I generally dont drink on school nights as a rule but cometh the weekend and i'm generally mortal like (as they say in the toon). Ha ha, no the plan is to abstain on Friday and its a 3 beer limit for the Arsenal game, with a pint of water between each bottle. I did this before east Hull 20 and I was fine the next day Incidentally I did get an Arsenal ticket in the end, but ive done the decent thing and put it up for raffle on justgiving. raised £112 so far, with a day to go. Chuffed to bits. 

So I did my last leg session at the gym yesterday, and had a good old foam roll last night. Legs feel rock solid today, and im going to cap the week off tonight with a 4 mile 8 min mile trot around north Leeds. I think it will be a nice evening for it. Then pack my suitcase for London as my trains tomorrow. This is all so real now!!!

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

All getting a bit real now. At the Expo. Got my running number and all that jazz. 

Stephen Kiprotich is on stage while I am waiting for them to ifnd my printed running vest image. He says he will get up at 6am on Sunday and go for a jog before breakfast. Breakfast will be a cup of tea, a slice of brad and a banana (if you believe this). He is dismissing Mo Farah's chances. Marathon running is very tough and his advice to Mo is to focus on finishing and not on winning. His typical week is 195km at altitude and 40km seems to be his longest individual run. During his taper he runs every day with the longest run being 30km. He ran 20km last week. He recommends 4 weeks off after the race and then starts slowly. He is focussed on winning not setting records. There are 2 pacing groups for the elite runners. One going through half way in 61 mins and the other in 62 mins. he has not decided which group he is running with yet. Makes me feel so much better about not having finalised my race strategy. If the olympic champion makes his mind up the day before then the same approach is good for me.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

So 3 miles @ 8:45 m/m pace for me on the running track tonight to try and save the legs. Was not feeling the best all afternoon but feeling much better after the run. Not sur e what this is all about. Going to try and get a good nights sleep tonight as been a little tired this week. Have been under a bit of pressure at work and a busy day ahead of me tomorrow.

• Options

Sean & Carl - exciting stuff! I'm planning a v early long run so I'm back for VLM TV coverage on Sunday - make sure to post your race no' s and tracking link etc!

Out for my usual Thursday 8 miles tonight with hill reps in the middle and a final 3 miles @ 7:20 tempo pace. One of the guys has just purchased a pair of Hoka Conquests for Long Runs - wow! A massive shoe, almost like platform shoes - very maximalist & with a price to match £150 a pair!!!

Busy weekend of Sport ahead - Masters, Arsenal FA cup semi (Sean good to see a fellow Gooner on here!), VLM & potential title decider Pool v City.

Off to catch up on how Rory, GMAC & Big Darren got on today @ Augusta!

• Options

Ricky W. My semi final ticket is up for raffle at www.justgiving.com/martin-mower if you want to enter image

Carl: Do you know where the link is to send to friends and family on race day so they can track your progress? Cant seem to find it.

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Big_G - sorry to hear about the dog, it's like your best mate has gone. Hope Mrs Big_G is starting to bloom ?

Ali - I'm intrigued by people having more than 1 target for a marathon. I went with 3:45 in my mind and nothing else and I feel it helped me focus on that one goal rather than have a few different times, paces and targets in mind. Do you feel that having more than one time in mind helps you ? Have you tried just focusing on one time ?

Ricky - "Carter - you are recovering well & obviously didn't 'empty yourself' on Sunday ... tut tut must try harder" - I've been thinking about that myself the last couple of days. I was absolutely knackered when I crossed the line but I do believe I could have given more during the race. Not sure what the outcome would have been if I did that though. So, my thoughts are already moving to the Autumn and going for a 3:30 and I've already started to think about a training plan that will help me achieve that.

Sean - if having a couple of beers the night before is going to help you relax then you go for it fella. Try and get yourself a chair in the bar though so you aren't standing up all night ! When are you off to the Expo ? Have you settled for your target time on Sunday yet ?

Carl - I've had a few quid on Geoffrey Mutai to win on Sunday, I would have bet on you but couldn't find you on the list !! 550 miles is a very nice amount to have under your belt in this training plan, it will serve you in good stead for Sunday. Hopefully, when work has finished for the day you can start relaxing and getting yourself together for Sunday, My penultimate run also felt rubbish and the legs were a bit heavy but a quick blast the next day soon sorted them out. When is your last run ? Time to start getting in that zone now, if you're not already there. And the big question, have you settled on your target yet ?

• Options

Carter. Im down at the expo tomorrow AM. Then taking the missus to westfield, and getting my wallet battered. Went for a walk into town at lunch and was feeling very giddy and excited. Just wanted to run, for some strange reason. ha ha

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Not long to go now big man. For the 3 days or so before I deliberately focused on trying to be calm. I had heard of stories of people who got so excited that they were exhausted standing on the start line. I would be sat at my desk at work, eyes closed, big deep breaths. I was getting some right funny looks. I think it helped though. I even did this on the start line, I blocked everything out. Mind you, sounds like Mrs F will be taking your mind off things with the shopping trip !

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

HI Sean and Carl, if I don't get on again before the marathon. Have a great day and run Sunday, I will awaiting reports. Wife is taking her mother and the kids over to Glasgow tomorrow afternoon to see Dancing on Ice so I plan my LSR then. That will give me Sunday to hopefully get a watch of things (that is if I don't get hijacked with something else!)

Rest day today for me, I popped into the gym for some S+C. Yesterday had a job up Ali's neck of the woods, Dyce. So it was an early start and no run in the morning. Luckily all went well and I was back home for 17:00. I wasn't really feeling up for the run but decided to go out and instead of 9 I ran 7 miles. Decided to see how things went. As I have said before I am a morning runner. Last night was a lovely evening and after a mile I felt pretty good, so decided to try and run a few 7mm and then on the harder miles try to keep to MP. Ended up running the 7 in 49:03, splits 6:58,6:46,6:56,7:11,6:52,7:26,6:49 and felt pretty good after albeit a bit out of puff. So that was a surprise image

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Sean - this is the info re tracking.

On Race Day, on Sunday 13 April, the front page of the Virgin Money London Marathon website will have a button that allows you to track runners every 5k of the course. Click the button, enter their surname, find the runner, and every 5k and at the halfway point it will tell you their elapsed time. Remember this feature will only go live on the website on race day.

My race number for those who want to track me is 42151.

Temperature on Sunday ranges from 11deg at 10am through 15deg at 2pm.

BBC weather says it will be :

Dry on Sunday with variable cloud and bright or sunny spells

Planning an early night tonight to get the good nights sleep in before the arce. I will do 2 miles easy tomorrow morning with some MP strides in there to get the legs familiar with MP all over again.

I picked up 3 pace bands at the expo. One for 3:40; 3:35 and 3:30.

I like Carter's idea of only going in with one goal. So one goal it will be.

I will share this tomorrow.

Not sure I am as calm as you were Carter. It has been a crazy week at work and am only beginning to unwind. Tomorrow I am not planning on doing very much at all. Will get my kit and bag ready early.

• Options

hello all - just back from hols.

Someone told me they're supposed to be relaxing. But been under the weather all week and I'm knackered,

Expo tomorrow AM

1 session, 2 miles and 1 day to go...

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Canter - take it easy today. Enjoy the Expo.

Sean -try not to walk too much at Westfield and mind the wallet. 

Last session done for me. 2 miles. Felt really hard. Legs were a tad heavy. Threw 2 lots of 100m at MP in for good measure.

This time tomorrow will be well underway. Feeling a tad nervous. Hopefully it will pass.image

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Canter - i see your lot have just battered us !! Get yourself plenty of rest if you can and the very best of luck for tomorrow. 

Sean - hope Mrs F hasn't spent all your money yet ! Go easy with the beers later and get yourself am early night. Good luck to you too big man. 

Carl - I'm keen to find out your strategy for tomorrow. I hope you have had enough rest  and are feeling as fresh as you can. Don't worry about not feeling good on your last run, that means nothing. Once you are off tomorrow I'm sure the legs will feel fine. A nice easy start for you and dont worry when loads of people go flying by you, you just focus on your own race. I'm positive we are going to see an absolutely cracking performance from you, you have trained hard and put plenty of miles in. The very best of luck to you mate

• Options

Back from the expo / westfield. both places completely rammed, and not very enjoyable to be honest. I to collected a 3:30, 3:35 and 3:40 pace band. Great minds and all that.

Settled in to watch the footy now, then its a radox bath and early night for me.

Im number 24085 if anyones interested tracking.

p.s. whats thebest tube station to get off for blue start? It says Blackheath in my pack, but that's overground.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Sean - the day before the marathon is always mobbed at the expo. Not a pleasant experience which is why I gave it a miss and went during the week. Guess I am lucky that I live and work in London.

Blue start is where the eleites are ... yes ? Best to follow the advice in your pack. That is teh shortest walking route to the blue start.

Where are you staying ? But in any case best thing to do is head for Charing Cross train station and get the train from there to Blackheath. Both the tube and train is free.

Carter - my strategy. It would be a good idea to have one I guess. I am more or less settled on trying to go after 3:30 but it will depend on how I feel when I stand on teh start line in the morning.

I am going to start a little shy of that pace, probably at about 8:10 per mile and once the legs have started moving properly and I have settled into the race, I will pick it up if it feels right.

I plan on popping a gel or two about 15 mins before the start and then take a gel every 20 minutes once I hit the 40 minute time.

I am going to divide the race into 4 10k chunks with a 2k dash at the end.

I am only going to take on water, probably a little at each water station but will have High 5 Zero electrolyte tabs in my pouch in case I need them.

This carb loading is runbbish. I feel like an elephant. One last meal of pasta and that is me fully bloated.

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Carl - sounds like everything is going according to plan mate. Heavy legs, bloated, tired - just how I felt this time last week. Regarding gels, my original plan was take normal gels at 10, 13, 16 & 19 with an extra caffeine gel at 22 & 24. Apparently the gels are more effective if you take 2 with caffeine 15 mins before the start and then normal gels during the race. This worked a treat for me but I'm not sure if you want to try something new on race day ? Are you staying at home tonight or getting yourself off to a hotel ?

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Carter - I have been practising with gels so am going 2 before the race, then 1 at 5 miles, 8, 11, 14, 17 and 23 miles. Going to mix gels and istonic gels to try and protect the stomach.

Bag packed. Nothing more to do.

Have had a sharp pain in my right side today. No idea what it is. Hopefully just pre-race nerves. 

Best of luck Sean and Canter. enjoy the experiemce and hopefully you will achieve your targets. image

• Options

Carl, Sean & BK - all the very best lads! 

As already said all the hard yards are already done in training - tomorrow is payday & time to cash in. Don't leave anything out there.

Carl - delighted to see you are going with your aggressive 3:30 strategy..... will be tracking you in the morning!

Good luck all - run hard image

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Carl - get in there, 3:30 it is. 

Best of luck boys, as Ricky says, don't leave anything out there and I'm looking forward to seeing some PBs. 

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Morning all.

Going to be sunny today.

• Options
    Guys just popped on to say massive good luck to any and all who are running today. Go out and smash it but remember to enjoy the race, for anyone who hasn't run London previously, its the most amazing street party in the world. Don't get too focused on a time, relax, take in the crowds, take in the sights and feed of the engery that will be in the air. Don't go off too fast, stay hydrated (its gonna be hot out there) trust your legs and have no excusses come the finish line!

thoughts will be with you all today.

GOOD LUCK image