Options

RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Options

Big G - sorry it was a US one, but you'll get the picture

http://www.runnersworld.com/other-gear/running-stroller-reviews

Ricky - I'm in VFM. I did the Dublin marathon in 2011, my first and only one to date. I did enjoy that one as it was a 'home' one for me, and it was no hassle to get into and not too busy relative to some of the others.

Carl - stick to what you have been doing for fuelling on your LSRs to date. No point in trying anything new on the day seems to be the best advice.

• Options

Congrats Big G, thats fantastic news. I was also going to try and snipe your Yorkshire Mara place also, he he. Theres a 10k on the same day BTW down the road in Wistow, Selby and its the best PB course i've ever run. It was flatter and smoother then a billiards table. maybe see you there eh.  

Thanks for the feedback guys. ha ha. Yeah training plans don't work for me. I do make sure I get the miles in though and mix it up with hills, tracks and intervals. We will see at London what results it yields. I wont be going to Wembley now anyway the day before as my ticket fell through. Alas its probably for the best as I wont have temptation put in my way.  

3 x 10 min intervals at the reservoir tonight as our clubs summer sessions have started, yay, goodbye winter running. 

• Options

G- fantastic news! Bug congrats to you and mrs G! I know she runs too- planning to keep it up whilst pregnant?

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Ali, she is doing what she can but has dropped the intensity right back and stops and walks if she feel she needs to.  Also, she is doing relatively short sessions in comparison to what she was doing.  The midwife said this was fine and as my wife has always been active/fit more or less encouraged it, as opposed to suddenly stopping everything.

Having said that, I'm not sure how much longer she'll keep it going as she is getting pretty tired generally.  It's a different mindset as obviously up until now it's been about pushing herself but the mindset is now one for overall health of her and the baby and obviously going out and busting a gut is not recommended.  

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

HI Carl, Never have much of a need for sunglasses up here! but can't be doing with running in sunglasses myself.... Stick with what you know on the hydration and fuelling. If you haven't tried it by now leave it alone. This should have all been sorted on your LSR's Carlimage

Hi sean, A blessing in disguise, the Wembley tickets falling through I think. enjoy the reservoir tonight.

Those buggies can shift by the way Big_G. I was behind a guy at Portobello the other Sunday on my LSR and he must have been going just under 8 min/mile, I was impressed, until he stopped at the end of the promenade.....no stamina ;0)

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Well Hill Reps this morning. Misty, pouring with rain and six degrees. slipped over when I headed through the woods at the bottom of our road to access the Braid Hills and got covered in mud. So glad spring is finally here!

7 miles of hill reps achieved, soaking wet, but job done. I think the two dog walkers I usually see on the track up towards the top of Braid hill, think I am insane. I did mention to the one dog walker this morning that there is a thin line....

Got back home and nearly got caught out with my son's April fool. He had cling filmed the toilet, he also got caught trying to insert red food colouring into his sisters toothpaste! You have all this to look forward too Big_G!

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Nell - I have heard those BOBs can be quick.  The guys on marathontalk use them and they reckon they don't hold you up much at all.  I think one of the presenters on there (Martin Yelling) did a 17:XX 5K pushing a double buggy....!  I'm chuckling at the April fool jokes, but also shuddering as wellimage

• Options

Big G - the Caterham sounds great but it's days are numbered I fear! A mate of mine races one with a honda fireblade donkey in it ... great race series over here for them which is getting more popular every year.

BK - my first time running Dublin last year (3rd marathon - previous two were Limerick in May 13 and Belfast in 2006) and have to say the best of the three by a long chalk. Atmosphere & support was amazing the whole way round.

Club session this evening - great to get them done in daylight - nice sunny evening too! Did 3 x 8min intervals @ 6.45 pace with 2 min recoveries with some 10 sec sprint reps to finish off. Hard work but good to get it done and feel all the better for it image

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Evening all. 

My massage was tonight rather than last night when I originally turned up ! However, a good session on the legs with a report that everything was fairly loose and in decent working order. I did jump a couple if times though when he found a tender spot. Another rest day for me today and the same tomorrow. I think it will be a gentle 5 on Thursday lunchtime and a brisk HMP effort on Friday and that will be it. Still feeling fairly calm about it really. I'm not sure if that's a good sign or not !

• Options

Hi everyone!

Glad you're feeling calm Carter- it IS a good thing!  I've had marathons where I've been calm before and marathons where I've not and generally if you're calm in the lead up you'll be less tense, manage to sleep a bit the night before, etc... all good for race day!  

Nell- I also did hill reps today at a brutal set of hill paths near Aberdeen beach.  Ooof it was tough going but I rather enjoyed how achy I felt immediately after and thought I should be proud of that.  Just 5 miles for me.

G- good attitude from your wife.  Gotta just listen to the body.  If I were pregnant I'd feel that if I could run, I would.  More for the mentality boost than the physical side- it's such a part of my routine.  But it doesn't suit everyone.

Ricky- the promise of sunny evenings really keeps me going.  Though Aberdeen is yet to see one this year...

As mentioned to Nell above 5 miles hill session for me done tonight.  There is a set of hill paths near the beach, one big hill but with 7 or 8 different sets of paths across it, interlinking and winding from one side to the other.  So I took turns of doing different paths up and down with recovery along the side of the hill in between.  Tiring but fun.

• Options

ouufff. Did my 3 x 10min club sesh last night and in between jogging to it, doing it, and getting home tallied up 11.5 miles. Probably a bit more then I was aiming for but hey ho, well earned rest day today, and only some sore legs to show for it.  Absolutely stunning sunset by the reservoir as well; Kinda makes it all the more enjoyable and beats sitting on your arse watching tat like enders and corrie anyday. 

• Options

Hey Sean - you're right about getting out rather than couch surfing! Having said that, I've been watching 'Shetland' for the last few weeks. Really enjoying it, not least the scenery/locations. Was only thinking I'd love to jog around there in the summer and then I came across this http://www.halfmarathonlist.co.uk/shetland-half-marathon.php

Anyone ever done that?

Hot today on the lunchtime 6m. Been focusing on pacing on these later runs, with the intention of settling on a racing strategy for the day.

10 days, 6 sessions and 28 miles to go....

• Options

Canter I've never done that but would love to visit Shetland and that would be a good time of year in June with the weather at least being pretty reliable.  Has it really been hot down in England?  We have yet to see the promise of any kind of warmth from the sun up here...

That's a long run for interval session Sean, you've definitely earned a good rest day!

Rest day for me too and doing double hills this week (glutton for punishment) as my slower running friend wants to do a hill session when we meet tomorrow and I just did one yesterday.  Can't be bad for me though and tomorrow's will be easier than my own one yesterday.

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Nice run Ricky

Well done Sean, you sound as though you are feeling strong!

Hi Ali, Yes the hill reps make you work, but it is worth it! Two sessions in a week, careful ;0)

Hi Canter, Yes I have a work colleague from Shetland, I bet you can guess what we call him, it is sheep related! He would go back like a shot if he could get the same paid job as he has in Edinburgh... Is it true that in England they wanted subtitles ?? How many days to go Canter?

Well all the talk still goes on with folk in England boiling, and Ali and myself are still in winter! Out this morning for 8 miles on a mixed route ran at 7:45 pretty much all around and felt not too bad. Would have been nice to have some sun on my back or see a nice sunrise, I got damp and 7 degrees, but no mist image

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Good running from everyone.

Canter. How many days is it to London. I am not counting. image And have you settled on your race day strategy ?

Carter - still feeling calm ?

Did not go out last night as I was tired from work.

So tonight I hit the track to do last nights' intervals. 10 x 400m at 5k pace.

Splits as follows :

1:36 ; 1:37 ; 1:32 ; 1:31 ; 1:32 ; 1:33 ; 1:30 ; 1:30 ; 1:28 ; 1:23

The good thing about this is that I planned to get faster by the end and I did. Once back home and showered it was as if I had not pushed myself a little earlier. Such a contrast to other intervals where I was really tired.

As I left the track at about 9:45, somebody else was arriving and hoping the fence. Really good to see that I am not the only nutter in town !!

• Options

Carl – I’m still deciding on the final details, but I’ll be breaking down the race into (Nell look away now)  10k, HM, 32k, final 10k chunks for time and a fuelling plan at separate intervals to that. Both of which will give me plenty to be thinking about on the day!

I’ll share that once I’ve settled on it  - Plan A and a Plan B(ack-up)  

One thing I do recall from my only other marathon was that it all did go by quite quickly

Half term starts tomorrow and I’m off with the family to (hopefully sunny) Norfolk for the week, so I won’t be checking in here very much before the big day.

Expo on the Sat morning for me

Special mention for Carter in advance of this weekend (I hope I’m not forgetting anyone else) – all the very best. If enjoy is the right word – enjoy!  I hope all goes to plan.

And for London, as I know you guys are relying on me for this:

9 days and counting…….

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Thanks Canter, I'm sure I will enjoy it image

I've just been out for 5 steady miles at lunchtime. It now feels like someone has stolen my legs and replaced them with a brand new pair. I was practically gliding along the roads today !! Hope it feels like this on Sunday !

• Options

Yep, Good luck to those running Manchester on Sunday. Weather looks like it may throw a spanner in the works so fingers crossed on that front. Ill be thinking of you when im running my piddley 10k. image

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Nice splits Carl, I suppose it is nice to know there is someone else who is slightly unhinged like the rest of us ;0)

Oh Canter, you have gone all European again ;0) Enjoy your break Canter and look forward to the report!

Hi Carter, Sounding good image

Keeping the pace in then Sean?

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

I was out for 9 miles at MP this morning. Geezo, it was not that easy, I certainly couldn't have done another 17! Ran 8 at MP or just under (7:20-25) but on the one mile which the incline was a bit punishing got pushed to 7:41. Got it done though and rest day tomorrow, thankfully. Didn't really feel like it this morning but once I got going I was ok....

I am running the Tay Ten (miles) on Sunday, the guy who is pacing me is organising it with his club Perth Roadrunners, so might run that and then a few miles after. My daughter also has a gymnastics competition in Perth the same day, so that was a nice coincidence ;0) 

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Carter - great to see that you have become a gazelle. The race on Sunday should now be so easy.  image Seriously really good to hear you feel so good. Wrap yourself in cotton wool now.

Canter - enjoy the break. Stay off the sauce. Should be good way to unwind and prepare. I have a nightmare week ahead of me at work and have a major presentation to give on Friday. 

Nell - good running from you. So you had to slow down to 7:41 on an incline !!!! 

6 miles steady for me tonight. Slight niggle in right ankle. Hopefully it is just taper madness and it will be gone in the morning.

• Options

Nell: We all have those runs sometime where every step seems like a massive chore. Getting them done can be rewarding though, and definitely mentally toughens us for the big races ahead, whereas mere mortal 'part-timers' would have given in faster then the first syllable of shin splint.. Its all part of the learning curve n all that.

On the other hand, I had a leisurely downhill 5 mile jog into work this morning, on the day that there was a power failure on the Leeds inner ring road plunging the morning rush hour in the city into absolute chaos. Here is one very smug runner sat at his desk who avoided all of that metal grind.

• Options

Morning all!

carter- happy to hear how great you're feeling! Cannot wait to see how you do!

carl- watch the ankle, just listen to your body and keep things safe with it.

Nell- I looked at the Tay ten on entry Central just out of curiosity and looks like a nice flat enjoyable race. Report back!

canter- enjoy the break image

sean- report us back on your 10k please!

I was meant to be doing another hill session with my slower bud last night but in the end she just wanted to do a long run which for her is about 10k so we did that, I took her some new routes including some trail paths and woodland areas (in aberdeen not actually far from the city centre!) 

Then we went into the gym and did 20 minutes easy spinning to cool down. Was a really rainy night but not windy and surprisingly refreshing for running in. 

I like going out with her to do my 'easy' runs as sometimes they are a bit of a chore but with company it's a rather pleasant way to get some miles in.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Carter - best of luck!  It's a great feeling going into a race feeling good.  That to me shows that you've tapered perfectly!  Pinched from another thread but even if you're feeling good at the start "bank energy, not time".

There is some good running on here and it's an exciting part of the marathon year image

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Thanks everyone. I'm going out for my last run in a few minutes; about 6 miles with 4 @ HMP. I've found this session really good during taper time as it has cleared the sluggish feeling and sorted the old legs out. I've been as cool as a cucumber up until today where a few nerves have kicked in. I will now be packing my bag later today rather than waiting until 5 minutes before the train leaves tomorrow, no doubt I will be checking it 1 or 2 times once it's packed as well ! The main feeling overall though is one of excitement and really looking forward to the challenge.

If anyone is completely bored on Sunday morning and really can't find anything useful to do then you can track my run at http://m.racetecresults.com/Search.aspx?R=657. I am bib number 14153 (even though there are only 7,000 runners ??)

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Carter, If I do not get back on before, enjoy Sunday and the best of luck !

Hi Ali, yes it is good to go out with a friend now and again. I did that last year on a wednesday morning with a pal and just ran easy with him. It breaks up the week schedule. Yes, my pace buddy runs for Perth Roadrunner so he informed me on this run and as you say it seems pretty flat. I may try and get a few miles in after to satisy the LSR day.

Hi Sean, yes sounds like the day to run ;0) Good luck this weekend and hope to hear a new PB before the marathon PB?

Hi Carl, Get the magic ice out on the ankle and take it easy...

Rest day today, went down to the gym this morning and did some S&C. Took it easy though as I did feel a bit whacked from this week's activities. I did find that not playing footie last night helped as I could get a good session in yesterday morning. Although I was up late round my pal's last night and was knackered this morning image

• Options

Carter - all the very best for Sunday... will be following your progress on the tracking link. Absolutely delighted that you are finally going to make the start line ! image

Out with 3 faster mates last night for a 8 mile session with 6 reps of a steep hill in the middle. Avg pace 8:09 and hard work keeping up!

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ali - listened to your advice and decided that I would skip the 3rd midweek run this week as a precuation. I was planning 5 miles with 3 at HMP. And tomorrow I have a 10 mile LSR in the plan. So I will slip the 3 miles into the LSR and run them at MP. Ankle feels ok so hopefully it was just pre-race twinges.

Ricky - that seems like a tough session last night so well done for keeping up.

Sean - did you have to run back home tonight ? Best of luck for the 10k on Sunday.

Carter - well looks like you have made it. Well done for sticking to it and best of luck. Am out at my son's footie match on Sunda morning so will check in when I get back to see how you're profgressing. Just remember to run your race not anyone else's. If the pace is too much ease off in a controlled way. You will be fine and looking forward ti your PB.

Nell - could be that you have pushed the pace a bit too fast too soon and that your body is adjusting to it contributing to the knackered feeling. You know all of this anyway so no doubt with some rest you will be back to your usual self in a few days.

Early night for me tonight. Have been overdoing it at work this week so need some extra recovery time. Last LSR tomorrow. Cannot wait.image

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    12 miles done for me today including 3 miles at MP.

Also cold bath done.

Back on with more details later.
  • Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Carl,  Bet it feels good to get that last long run over? A cold bath too, nice one. I hope you had a nice cup of tea with you, always find that takes the edge of things I find image

Getting back into it Ricky ;0)

Yes carl, note taken on the pace. I ran the Wednesday session a bit faster than I should have and also went into the gym on Wednesday. Think maybe a bit of fatigue..

What has happened to Andrew, was he not running Brighton?

Easy 4 miles this morning, no watch just ran.