Options

RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Carter - maybe I should get you to do my research on new running routes then !!

Good that you have got a run in and I'm sure the next one will be business as usual.

And as you say there are other priorities in life and sometimes running has to take a back seat. Not often now, but sometimes.

Will - how am I feeling. Not sure is the answer. I hate tapering as the lack of running really plays with my head and I feel sluggish as I am not doing enough. Even though I have resigned I am mad busy getting rid of things at work so have not had much time to think about the weekend. I am really looking forward to it and think when I hit Heathrow on Friday morning the reality that I am flying to the other side of the world to run 26.2 miles will hit home and I will begin to enjoy the experience.

Good strong run from you and sounds like you are in good nick for the GWR.

Robert - you are right. The new job will bring its challenges on many fronts but knowing me I will throw myself into it, focus on running in my spare time and work out how to get enough family time in. Having spoken to a few people I know who do the work away from home stuff, they all say that overall it gives them a better work life balance as when they are at home with the family over the weekend they are truly at home and work does not interfere as it tends to do otherwise.

Have got a massive set of instructions from the Chicago marathon people and getting daily emails with all sorts of updates. Am super impressed with them. Am sure there is something in there about live tracking but need to read it first. Will probably do this on the plane going over and if there is will let you know. 

So my race strategy as Carter cannot wait any longer.

I have a Plan A, a Plan B and a Plan C.

My A plan is to get a BQ. A BQ in 2017 means a sub 3:25 qualifying time and from what I can work out to guarantee a place I need to be 3:23 or under.

So I intend setting out at a steady 7:45 m/m pace which is why I ran this in my run last night. Should I be feeling strong as I get to mile 16, I will step it up and see where it takes me. While a 3:15 time would be nice I do not want to set out with this as a target in case I force it and blow up and then get my Plan D time. Would be criminal travelling so far and being shit !!

My B plan is to get a sub 3:30 time. If for whatever reason I am not able to keep the 7:45 m/m pace going I will drop back to 8 min miling and work to get the sub 3:30 as this is a milestone to achieve and is a good result.

My C plan is a sub 3:45 and is there in case I have a crap day and cannot run as strong as my training suggests I should do for whatever reason.

As I am in the 7:30 start, I should be finished before it gets too warm so heat should not be a major issue. 

My D plan if i need a D plan is to finish as this is an achievement of a kind even if it is not what I would want today nor imagine I could be satisfied with but sometimes shit happens and all that.

So there you are. Feel free to pick the bones out of that. imageimageimage

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

PS - I have messaged you with my contact details.image

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

PS - just seen that you messaged me back. Looking forward to having a thread meeting !!

• Options

Will - when you say your last run before GWR do you mean your last 'quality' run or won't you run again before the race ??

Robert - interesting point you make about my comments regarding the route for my race. Maybe I haven't had the right mind set for it, due to it being a partly rubbish route, so I'm now going to give it the the respect the distance deserves otherwise it might come back and bite me on the arse. Cheers. Pasties and cream teas, mmmm !

Carl - no bones need picking from your race strategy. It is what is best for you and therefore it is the right plan. You've obviously given it careful consideration and taken everything into account and come up with what will work for you. 7:45 will be a nice comfortable pace for you, given the times you  have been knocking out in your training runs. I've got the link for the live tracking on Sunday so will be following you, and PS, with eager anticipation 

• Options

Nell : Ali. Fantastic race reports. After reading its definitly a race that goes on the bucket list. I even know which whisky bars I will go to after now as well. 

Nell , What a great time. I think thats the kinda time im going to be aiming for in 2016 after I shift a few more lb's.   

Ali. A PB is a PB even if it is only 20's. It just means your good momentum continues a pace.   

Carl: Congrats on the new job pal. Well deserved im sure and good luck.    Some good plans for Chicago there. Hopefully plan A works all the way round.   

So I re-twisted my ankle on Tuesday morning. garrrrr. I was walking into work and was going over some cobbles and it just went. So innocuous and random but it hurt like hell. It didnt swell up as badly as the other week but the tendons feel quite bruised. So annoyed at my luck. Means no running so far this week and have only done about 14 miles in the last 2 weeks.

Its killing me being off the road.   

I went to the gym last night and did some deadlifts, squats and kettlebells to work the tendons. It seems to have helped, but they are still tender to the touch.   They are still sore but are mending.

Im going on the club run tonight. Its a social run at a 8 min / mile pace. I'll take it very easy and assess how it is then.  

However in the back of my mind I am resigned to the fact that Royal Parks will not be fast on this ankle. Im pretty gutted as i've worked so hard for this.    Anyway what can you do, if you're injured you're injured.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

A nice easy 4 miles for me at 6.30 this morning. Felt good but it was bleedin' cold. Hands never warmed up. 

• Options

Not a problem come Sunday.....

• Options

Forecast for Sunday is 24 degrees. Hopefully Carl and I will be finished before it gets too hot. He certainly will be anyway. Looking forward to the thread meet up! 

Got 2 miles scheduled for this morning. Legs are feeling fresh. That's it then for me. 

Sean that ankle sounds a right pain. Dare I mention skipping the race this weekend so that you give yourself more time to recover in time for Snowdonia? 

Rob hope the funeral was OK as those things can be. How are you finding the taper now? 

Washwood how is your cough now? 

Ali are you having a better week this week? You have got an awful lot on your plate at the moment. Is the anxiety any better? It's such an awful feeling and so hard to control so be kind to yourself. The race on Sunday starts at 7.30 our time and I think my wave goes at 7.36. 

Carter that race course doesn't sound too inspiring but I guess at least it means you won't be distracted too much by the scenery! Sounds like with this one it's a case of going out and getting it done as a stepping stone to the 100 next year. 

Will looks like you've got some good runs in from Strava. Have you got a spring marathon in mind (sorry if you've said and I've forgotten). 

• Options

Hello all – old posters and new.

Been a while (and haven’t even been lurking), but I did remember it’s Chicago this weekend and just wanted to pop in and wish Carl and PS all the best.

Carl – Plan A looks good. Go smash it.

BK

• Options

Carl- re: the job, yeah you needed a move and this sounds great, there are pros and cons to being away but there definitely are some pros... like more time for running?!  Please take some pics when you and PS meet as it is quite a novelty the idea of two people from this thread meeting all the way over in Chicago. image  Your race plans sound good.  I think in the marathon it's ALWAYS worth having a back up plan that you would accept if worse comes to worse... the nature of the beast is it's unpredictable.

Carter- hope you manage the 50 miler and by the looks of things you will, glad Mrs C is slowly getting there.

Will- good aims for your upcoming HM.  Sure you can do that.  You're hitting some pace in training anyway.

Robert- mmmm cream tea and pasties.  I am a vegetarian but love a veggie pasty (if that's not too much like sacrilege)

Sean- that is SUCH shit luck re twisting that ankle.  Rest, ice, chill.... you're right, there's nothing else you can do.  I hope you can run.  If you can't, don't beat yourself up, these things have happened to us all at some point.

PS- having a bit of a better week.  Had some difficult issues with some very difficult kids.  I have dealt with them pretty well though and am happy with that.  I am still pretty anxious but have always been thus...so nothing new to worry about.image  I will track you at the weekend.

Canter- nice to hear from you again.  Get us up to date soon.

Nothing major to report here.  Small 5k jog and gym last night.  Will have to get up to interesting stuff so I've got something to say to you all over the next few days!

• Options

Hi everyone,

PS and Carl I am sending you the best of luck for Sunday, I have a club mate running too, excited to see how you get on eimage  Is it a flat course ?? 

Ali, FAB PB for you, please send some luck my way !!

Sean : Not good doing your ankle again, how frustrating image

Rob : The course is meant to be faster than last year and that was pretty fast ! Not much Idea of where we are running as havent studied the map much lol ! How is the Abingdon taper going ?

Nell : Plan is to make Manchester the A race as it is smaller and faster (only a 54m incline over whole course !!!)  Will decide on VLM 2016 in days after image

Not much to report from me, cough didnt come to much although I still have a slightly sore throat but thats probably down to teaching most of the last 2 weeks. Ive been tapering the last 10 days as I needed to refresh my legs, even managed to keep the miles reps at club pace night down to just under 7.40 rather than 6.40 this week.  Will be aiming for a 7.25 average to get a PB on Sunday so will see how it goes. Last year was great as club runners had the front pen so I was crowd free. This year we dont have that luxury :/ best get to front of the 1.30 - 1.45 pen as that is a BIG difference in time and I can guarantee alot of people will have over estimated their time with it being their first half .... mind you they all go off fast and even if im slightly slower for first mile it wont hurt as will reign me in ... 

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

just popping in to say a quick hello to all.

Tense night watching the footie - great result - and now busy packing for the trip. There is more running paraphenalia than anything else. Mrs D thinks I am mad and she is most probably correct.

Thanks to all for the good wishes.

Looking forward to the thread meetup. We will do our best to take photos.

Sean - tough luck with teh ankle but at least you smashed your HM PB a few weeks back and were not relying on the race this weekend.

Next post will be from the other side of the pond assuming that the wifi is free in the hotel.

imageimageimageimage

• Options

Have a good flight tomorrow Carl and catch up Saturday!

Did my 2 miles this morning and now feeling ridiculously stressed about everything I have to do before Saturday. Plus I haven't eaten enough so trying to shovel some food in. 

• Options

Well. Did a power run last night instead of the club session. 5.5 miles. low 7's pace. Everything held together and felt pretty light footed. Nothing felt laboured either like my last 2 runs also. 

Looks like Sunday is back on. Its OONNNNNNN like donkey kong mother fuda. 

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Sitting at Heathrow. Flight delayed by an hour !!!!!

I think I have remembered everything that I need to run a marathon. Packing was such fun. Never realised I brought so much stuff with me to a race but guess as I am going so far I am bringing extra stuff just in case !
  • Options

Good luck Carl. Excited for you now.... 

• Options

That's great news Sean. 

I have started a pile of packing. In it so far is my race kit. Have you remembered your "sneakers"? 

Need to buy some porridge today in case my hotel isn't doing an early breakfast. Actually could check with the hotel first. My brain has gone. 

• Options

Sean great news 'Its OONNNNNNN like donkey kong mother fuda' happy days!!!! Just found out yesterday that its a ballot to get a place, will have a go next year when it opens.

Carl have a great flight relax and enjoy the delicious food they have to offer on the plane!!! Hope you get to the other side of the pond relaxed.

PS hows blistergate? fully resolved? no point in stressing won't help anyone... just relax and stay calm everything will get done I'm sure, whats the worst that could happen?

Washwood glad the cough wasn't too bad, I'm now concerned I have a week to stay away from illness.  Good luck at the weekend I'd love to be racing a half soon but no plans till Feb/ March next year.

Ali looking forward to hear about your 'interesting stuff' I am already planning a few drinking sessions after the marathon although can't go too crazy as have another marathon 3 weeks after but not really bothered about performance just want to give a different course a go.

Carter much planned for the weekend or still on house duties/ rest? Have you got a target time for RRR50?

BK Canter leaving us all in suspense about your where abouts for the last few months?

Yesterday has a massage, decided to go a bit earlier to give a chance for any bruising to come out before race day.  Planned to go for 8 miles with middle 6 at MP, running okay and felt good and at 5.5 miles ran past on old boy on a motorized scooter by the underpass and he seemed to be out of battery ran past but felt guilty looked back and saw he wasn't getting anywhere so ran back paused garmin and asked if he needed a push up the slope.  Gave him a push up 50 meters he thanked me and I restarted the garmin got a further 50meters and heard the scooter beeping and tried to look back but couldn't see him, crossed the road and looked back and say the old boy getting off the scooter so ran back again and asked if he need a hand... ended up pushing the scooter whilst he hobbled with his stick about 400m up the road, he was out of breath just walking god knows how he was going to try and push the bloody thing.  Said goodbye once I got him home and ran the last 1.5 miles back to the gym to get showered and ready for work. 

Rest day tomorrow and 10 miles easy planned for Sunday then wander round some halls with wedding planning in mind.

Those racing smash it!!!

• Options

Also great run from Mrs R today! Managed 5k with no walking for the 1st time furthest she had ran before was about 3k and beat her previous best training effort by over 2 mins.  Very proud of what she has achieved and her mental attitude about it never thought I'd hear her talking about her km splits, she's even signed upto Strava and downloaded all her runs since she started from garmin and some other app and uploaded them.  Fingers crossed she will get to the London marathon start line she has done so much hard work and came so far already be a shame not to make it. 

• Options

BRIGHTON Marathon

has opened interest http://www.brightonmarathon.co.uk/2016-reopening need to apply to register by 5pm today

• Options

Are you going for it Rob ? Shall might as well go for it and make it 3 marathons in 3 weeks ..... the way my luck is going Id probably get a place !

• Options

Not me, did it this year just the one marathon planned for 2016 for me, Think Ali was looking at it possibly? Be a good treble to run washwood!!!! 

• Options

Im not sure even Im that silly :/

• Options

I'd like to think you are Washwood image.

You'll all be relieved to know I can get room service porridge before the race on Sunday. 

Nice to hear you did your heroics yesterday Rob. How are the legs feeling after the massage?

I have turned into a quivering bag of nerves but that's the prospect of the flight doing it to me not the race.

• Options

Hi Washwood, Sounds a good plan to make manchester the A race if that is the first one and fast. From what I hear Manchester is well supported and after you can enjoy London

Good luck with the HM, get in the front and fly image

Hi Sean, Blimey, you heal quick !Hope Sunday goes well for you, looking forward to another alternative report..

Hi Carl, Hoping the flight went well.

Hi PS, I just stick to the porridge that you add hot water before marathons now. Last time the hotel made some porridge, it was lovely but had to stop halfwayimage

Hi Carter, Us obsessed....no we are just insane. How you holding up for next week?

Hi Ali, How is the teaching going. Where are you placed?

Hi Rob, Good on you for helping the old fella...hopefully you will be repayed next week. Good news for Mrs R.

Hi Canter, Nice to see you popping in again

Working this weekend so will be confined to a computer room. Probably won't get chance to get back on so Carl and PS, have a great run. And the very best of luckimage

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Flight was shite. The one hour delay turned into a four hour delay. Am now stuck in rush hour traffic getting into Downtown instead of relaxing. Have given up the idea of going to collect race number from the Expo tonight. So a little hacked off at the moment as should be relaxing......
  • Options

Hi all,

I am Mrs R, just joined Runners world, and will head over to try and find a good beginners forum but wanted to say hello and thank you for all the kind words of support.

You sound like you are all doing amazing, Good luck to all running this weekend.

Mrs R x

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Hoping to meet up with PS later.

Picked up a headcokd on the plane yesterday which is a tad annoying. Hopefully I will get a decent sleep tonight and feel energised in the morning.

Impressions of Chicago are good and marathon seems to be well organised. Loads of buses laid on to take us out yo Expo. Despite loads of people being there it did not feel overcrowded line London. Much more space. Very thorough instructions and nice t-shirt too.

Weather is pleasant. Tomorrow will be hotter and expect the sum to be up from early with it becoming quite warm by 10.40/11.

Nothing more to do except have a good meal and rest and sleep.

Being dragged around the shops at the moment !!
  • Options

Good luck Carl and PS have a great race! Fingers crossed it's not too warm for you.

Washwood and Sean hope your races go well too tomorrow.  Both half marathons which are on my list to do... be great to hear reports!

Rest day for me today... 10 miles tomorrow am for final long run... 

• Options

washwood- good to hear from you, marathon plan is wise, Manchester DEFINITELY has the potential to be super fast for you so GO FOR IT!

Robert- haha quite right re the drinking sessions.  You have to have something to look forward to!!!  Well done for being a good samaritan, as we all should.  Fab running from Mrs R image  And yes I've registered interest for Brighton.

Nell- Teaching is great but so exhausting.  The amount of planning and paperwork is unreal.  I'm in a school in the west end of Glasgow, extremely close to where I live image Very lucky!

Carl and PS- put stresses to the back of your mind and focus on one thing only- feeling good now, feeling good for the race.  You are both in a position to do extremely well.  I will be so excited to hear back from you both.  GOOD LUCK!!!!

Elle- hello and we have loved hearing about your running from Robert.  You should find some good beginners threads indeed but please feel free to stay on this one too- there is no reason why not if you are interested. 

Got out to parkrun today and went without my watch, wasn't too bothered about time as I am running a 4k cross country event tomorrow with the club.

But felt good and found myself alongside the 22 minute pacer for the first two miles.  I thought I might as well try to stick with him (current parkrun PB 22:05 but not at this course... current PB at this course was 22:32).

Anyway I last till two miles then suddenly he was slipping away and there was little I could do.  I finished in 22:30 (only found out a lot later as no watch) so that's a new course PB for the parkrun I went to, and is my second best ever 5k/parkrun time too.  So not a bad day's work for a watchless run.  Was very enjoyable.

Apart from this I have done sooo little running this week.  But next week is a school holiday week so I'll get in more.