Options

2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• Options

my theoretical training for the summer is: recover from last week's marathon (by running a 10k next week, 5k the week after, 10k the week after), then return to a solid 35 miles per week.

Every two weeks after that (or from July), increase weekly mileage by 5, so, 35, 35, 40, 40, 45, 45, etc until I can plateau at 60 a week, then sit at that.

I think 60 would be: 20, 5, 12, 10, 13, 5, 0, which would vary a little so I could increase to 25 once a month or so!

Absolutely mad theory, but it might work!

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done on everyone's training.

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

AGF nice days running sure Lulu enjoyed getting outimage

Jim it's twork world Police and Firefigter games half marathon image then Dublin in Octoberimage well done on your 12 miles today.

SM6 hope you had a good rest day and the calfskin feel better.

SC nice recovery run, sounds like a big turn out in the race for life.

NN nice to see you feeling more confident again image well done on your run todayimageover the last two years I've used the turbo trainer/bike and swimming to keep the fitness levels up and do a few Tri's. Think I will take a leaf out of the Mo Fara book and also do more off road running and some track sessions over June 

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Web page froze?

and July. Also don't count me out of VLM just yetimage and tea and cake in the parkimage

Fiona sounds like you and your sister had a great day and thanks for the nice comments, ( that goes for everyone image )

Jim sounds like a plan to me.

Well another 45 mins on the turbo trainer, felt like I was back in the Caymans with the heating on and oven on image Diet also started as I have put on nealy a stone in weight since London image.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Evening all! I know I haven't been on for a while, but wow! You lot can't half talk! image 

congratulations, once again, to Mr and Mrs NP! Fab photos too! But, NP, A STONE!?! Lol!

ran a bumpy 10k this morning in horrendous conditions! Didn't push too much, but ended up with same time as last year when I was going for it! image 14th in 40.35- enough for first vet last year, but only fourth this year image Did another 6.5m this afternoon. Going to start to slowly crank the volume up again now ready for Chester training image 42.85m for this week. Recovery done and dusted image

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Quick post: Good luck tomorrow OH at the Cape Wrath Halfimage

Race List http://nrwoolnough.wix.com/2013-race-list

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

NN, a good 11 today, I'm sure the confidence will improve with each passing run

Fiona, well done with the run and hill walking hope you managed to miss the rain

NP well done on another turbo session, and if you can't stand the heat move the turbo out of the kitchen image

Jason well done with the 10k

OH, good luck mate, looking forward to the race reports image

-----------------------------------------

For your amusement found this on the interweb, looking a little cream crackered around the five mile mark 

/members/images/696098/Gallery/DSC_0509.JPG

• Options
    Night NurseNight Nurse ✭✭✭

Good grief NP a STONE !!!

Fiona sounds like a nice girlie weekend..I am close to my sister too ..has your entered next years VLM ?all the cross training was/is to stop me putting on a STONE..!! with the reduced mileage, also I am enjoying it and finding the pilates especially is helping with balance and core strength..I have a gym membership which id £35 a month and hardly used it till a few weeks ago, and I did £180 worth of classes/gym/swim in 3 weeks !! (hope they dont throw me out)image

Jason well done on the 10k and the doubles day (here we go again)image

OH good luck for tomorrow..

• Options

Cross post...looking good Stewart, and at mile 5 of a 10k you are allowed to look cream crackered, worth it when you are on the way to a massive pb !!

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Nice to have a plan IJ.

The thing about the weight is I don't think being at racing weight is sustainable year round. It is really good to chill out for a while and eat/drink what you want, mentally as well as physically. By the time the world chaps come round you'll be as thin as a rake again NP! image

Will you be back to 100+ mile weeks for the autumn campaign jason?

Good luck OH!! image Blowing a gale here today and just freezing, hate to think what it's like at Cape Wrath - it didn't get that name for nothing! image

Looks like you're about to overtake the bloke in front of you Stewart!

NN our gym is great value too - £17.50 a month for everything, classes, gym, pool, track, jog scotland. I think a family membership is about £25 a month. My sister has entered the ballot so fingers crossed for her. She did say never again......!!

Should get a run later, will have to juggle training around this week; flying to Birmingham on Wednesday, back Friday but the running gear will be first to be packed!

• Options

I have never been at racing weight fiona image  Enjoy your travels this week. 

OH - good luck with your races this week sir !!!

8 Miles this morning. Its harder running in the morning image

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

OH enjoy your race, look forward to the report. 

AGF well done with the 8 miles this morning.

Fiona enjoy your trip don't forget to pack the trainers image I don't normally eat burgers or chips. And that type of stuff but for some reason I did whilst away and my sweet tooth kicked in image it won't take much to shift now I'm in to day two of my dietimage

NN and Fiona that's great value I pay £24 just for 10 swims gyms here start at around £30 plus a month.

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Jason that's great milage again your right back into it now image

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stuart hope you enjoyed your day offimage

Stewart nice recovery 6 and well done to your eldest.  Great piccieimage

NN nice 11m and glad the ankle's holding up

Fiona nice hill walk.  That's quite a long break from running for your sister!

IJ good plan - just don't go too mad on those races so soon after the mara

NP well done on the turbo.  Sorry to say what everyone else said, but a STONEimage !!!

Jason congrats on the first vet on your hilly 10k.  Well done on the mileage re-build.

AGF lol.  Nice 8 miler.

---

Another recovery 3m this morning plus some strides.  New streak has started.  I'm planning a few weeks of easy running, then I've booked a series of races - from 3k to 10k - to have some fun each weekend. image

• Options

1:58:31 just PB'd by about 20s (but last PB was on flat course so well pleased.

Windy but dry.

Horrendous forecast with 49mph wind and heavy rainimage

Light dusting of snow on hills overnight.

Strong gusts of wind the night before and heavy showers during breakfast.

vest , long sleeved top, waterproof and hat in order

However winds were moderate and mostly favorable and stayed dry for most of race.imageimage ( Horizontal hail now! )image

Deer crossing the road as we headed out in 3 minibuses to start.

Met up with UTC from Scottish runners thread before start

First 2 miles were head into wind but still managed 8 minute miles. Across the wind at the head of Loch Eriboll then turning up the glen with the wind behind us.

The sun came out. The waterproof came off and my wife Elspeth swept by ...
    ...despite her recent injury

Easy run back up the glen. Passed 7 mile mark at just under the hour and realised sub2and PB were possible although all the hills were still ahead.

Wind was really only a problem at one leg of the hair pin bends where wind was channeled right against us. Last 1.5 miles were tough into the wind too.

Mile markers were quite optimistic and there was a clear half mile to the finish at the 13 mile mark.

Crossed the line at 1:58:31. Well pleased

Pub Quiz tonight.

Short off road "hill" race tomorrow.

• Options

the races I'm doing are part of my club's road runners' league: the first 10k will be a time trial to see if the last 10k was a blip, the 5k will be a hard-arse sprint and the next 10k will be a hard-arse sprint, though as it's June by then, the marathon will be long gone and nearly forgotten!

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

OH, congrats on getting a new PB especially given that the conditions were not favourable, loved the report, good luck with the quiz tonight and the hill race tomorrow image

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

OH - excellent result! Well done on the new pb!!! image

IJ- good luck with the races image

tek- thanks, but I was first last year, not this year image Good luck with the streak image

NP- getting back to it, mate image

AGF- I find morning runs harser too, but not so bad when it's daylight....

Fiona- have a good tripimage

Just found this training plan- might give it a bash- looks like a nice mix image http://www.209events.com/file/253.pdf

• Options

OH well done nice to PB on such a tough course.

Fiona trainers are even more important to me than hair straighteners when it come to packing..image

NP I a sure the weight will drop off, thats one thing men seem to be able to get to grips with easier than women, thats why I would rather not put it on in  the first place ,I honestly cant remember the last time I had burger and chips..although I do like the odd cake and chocolate of course..

Tek 5k-10k fun ?!image..nice to have a plan

AGF I dont know about harder to run in the morning, I find it virtually impossible, nice 8 miler there.

Jason I am sure that plan will suit someone like you good luck with that.

spinning later for me I will jog the long way round to the gym and back to get 4 easy miles done, 

• Options

great link, Jason. I'm pleased to note that it's not too dissimilar from my plan, except that the numebrs are just bigger! I think the main difference is that when Mike Grattan says to jog for an hour, he means a 10 mile run whereas if I jog for an hour it's 6-7 miles!

- OH, well done, great effort in tough conditions!

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

IJ- same as me then image my 6.5 recovery runs are just under the hour- 52-54 mins image

NN- enjoy the spinning and jogging image

• Options

Erm I will rephrase that..easy RUN to gym I am not a jogger image

• Options

runners wear garmins, shorts (or half length girlie leggings) and t-shirts, even in snow;

joggers wear headphones, hoodies and tracksuit trousers or leggings

• Options

Wow - now theres a segmentation of the running market image  ......... I best go buy a hoodie image

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

OH congrats on a great race - PB !image and a super report. Enjoy the quiz night...image

Jason sorry - read it in a hurry this morningimage

NN enjoy the jog (sorry RUN) and spinimage

IJ and AGFimage

• Options

Congrats OH, and good luck to you and Elspeth for the rest of the week.

• Options

So does wearing my garmin HRM while spinning, and the only person who hasnt bought a softie cushioned seat cover for classes mean I have just spinned /spanned or spunned ? which is tougher image ?

I have just runned and spunned..or should that be just  ran and spanned image ?now eating steak !!image

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

NN- good rinning and spinning image

Just over 6m recovery run for me this evening. First post London double day planned for tomorrow image Was supposed to be doing Swansea Bay 5k tomorrow evening, but the weather forecast has changed my mind image

• Options

HRM for spinning sounds quite dedicated, do you measure distance peddled too? if I did it my OCD would insist I peddled after the class just to make up a round number of miles!

Just thinking of the verbs... I spin, I will spin, I did spin? I spun? I span? or with so many options, I suspect I just spammed?!