Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options

Skinny - That's a great 17 mile run. I think if I was doing those sort of paces for those sorts of distances I'd have to have a good rest beforehand (rather than jet lag, fell walking etc.)

McFlooze - Yeah fingers crossed that consistency builds through the summer and the autumn. I am doing the MF5 too.

DT - Not feeling the increased mileage too much as aches and pains in the body, but can hardly keep my eyes open at times.

Bob - Great balls in run imageimage for Mrs BBB too.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    X post.

Muddy, yes, that's precisely where I felt it. At social events I'd spend the evening yawning and rubbing eyes.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Evening everyone! I hadn't stalked Bob's result, or indeed anyone else's, as I was too busy drinking $3 bloody marys with my brunch and buying Kinvara 5s for only $70. image

So, well done to all the racers and others - some splendid PBs and post-pregnancy PBs going on this weekend, and the marathoners are looking strong. I'd forgotten all about my 'nemesis', Bob; can only remember racing against her once. I don't think the 'women are probably better pacers' logic really works, because I'm certainly not. Anyway, imageimageimage.

Meanwhile I ran 12 miles mostly alongside the James River, and sometimes over bridges and round islands. Richmond is nice and warm and all of the food is giant-sized.

• Options

Yeah well done on long runs (Skinny), huge mileage (Muddy), progress (Pete) and fabulous days (MadBee)... plus everyone else. A good weekend for all it seems. Pick of the bunch clearly is Bob for that massive but kind of serene and floaty 10k PB. Did you taper differently? Just interested in the fact you pulled off a big one without "hurting" yourself.

Easy 10.5 for me yesterday and 5.5 this AM. Last mileage week before HM. Next week I'll do speed and efforty bits, then a week of taper... leading inevitably to a floaty, serene state of "Bobness".

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Good run Skinny, don't think i could have done that in training this time last year.

And an excellent pb from the 'new' Bob with a single post report image Sounds like you had a good bit extra in you if you were feeling good at halfway and a 5:3x finish. When i ran my 10k pb last year i thought i'd never make the distance at halfway and was hanging on for dear life at the end. Thanks for falling just 6 seconds short of that pb though and saving me from relegation image

Finished the week with an undulating 12 around the coast yesterday which was a bit cold and fairly windy. Calf started to grumble a bit towards the end but i guess it's entitled to shout at me a bit after a 95M week. So treated it to a very slow 6 at 6 this morning which it was a bit happier about, if not totally overjoyed. I think i'm just about pushing my limit at the moment.

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Wow, successful weekend for everyone! McF image Madbee image Charlie image Tommy image Bob image Skinnyimage .. especially Bob - massive PB there - still don't understand why you didn't want to race flat out.

Which start are you going off, McF?

Easy week now, Mace?

Long club bike ride in the sun was super.  I also made my first attempt at aqua jogging, without a purpose-made flotation belt. I tried stuffing pull-buoys inside my tri suit to substitute but couldn't get them round the back without exposing myself, and just putting one down the front didn't work well.  I must be ripped because it takes a lot of floats to keep me afloat unless I hold my breath (or swim).  A friend's going to lend me a belt so I can try again.  Cool.

• Options
    marrows wrote (see)

especially Bob - massive PB there - still don't understand why you didn't want to race flat out.

Easy week now, Mace?

Yeah I've been wondering that too - I can understand the cautious start but when I'm running my best time ever I don't want to leave a single second out there in case I never run that fast again - I'm that pessimistic about my running future!image

Mace I've just spent 5 minutes looking through the P&D 70-85 mile plan but I'm struggling to find a 95 mile week in there anywhere? Don't f**k it up now!!

• Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

Mcflooze - Good result for you there. All coming together for the marathon now!

Skinny - Looks a really positive run and you can go into the mara full of confidence now.  

Bob - Excellent stuff, though its slightly dissapointing you only needed one post for the whole report! It's always a good sign when a race feels easy like that, shows you are in excellent shape.  

Mace - 95 mile week image

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭

Amazing long run, Skinny!  I'd be very happy to maintain 6:55 per mile to give me a 5k pb but you casually dropped in 15 miles in training!  Looking good - be careful for next few weeks.

Bob:  It's strange how a different day produces such a different result. Very impressed by you "cruising" to an excellent pb image 3 weeks after struggling (relatively - I'd love 40:xx) at Rushcliffe.  Any thoughts why this happened?  Huge congrats, anyway image.  Well done to the rest of the Bob Squad too.  TeamHew seems to have disbanded image.

McFlooze: Even though it's a Masseyve thread smackdown, I guess you won't be racing too hard if you're planning 20 miles (or even 17: either is beyond my ken) the following day.  Will it be a buggy run??  I'm beginning to think a parkrun is calling me late April and I have half an eye on a 10k in mid-May but wouldn't expect miracles in either; my easy runs still aren't easy enough!

marrows:  I've never come across aqua jogging.  Is it fun or something you suffer to improve your fitness in some way?  I'm not a great fan of water sports!

EDIT: How did I miss mace's 95 mile week?  Stunned.  Don't break!

• Options

Thanks all.

McF - I think Mrs Bob found it easier than her previous, and much slower 10k, and the main problem yesterday was the human traffic she had to negotiate!

Charlie - Yes, much reduced mileage last week, including two days off (Tues/Thurs), the abbreviated session with some sharp stuff in between,and then two short runs Fri/Sat, the first with a reasonably quick mile in, the second with strides, and it seemed to work better than having Race Day -2 off. Goater talks about getting your rest in early in the week and bringing yourself back up for race day once you're feeling fresh - he may have a point.

Lit - 'Nemesis' was McF's word rather than mine, I just remember a conversation with you about potential local rivals (possibly after 2013 Beeston 5?) and Nat's name cropped up at that time. Think it was soon after that she stopped racing. Back on it now though, she ran a 10k PB yesterday I think. My take on the pacing thing is that as a rule of thumb, 6th lady (her) is likely to be getting more things right overall, including pacing, than the blokes placing 100th or so around us, who may well only be as fast due to physical advantages of gender rather than being particularly smart runners.

marrows/Skinny/Pete - Took it a little steady yesterday due to a combination of a little self doubt leading to fears of a blow up (even though I felt sure Rushcliffe was down to the gale that was blowing), and the fact that this was still only a B race for me. I just wanted to get a 10k banker in, and then move on. Focus still very much on the imminent track season, and I didn't want to either injure myself (like last year) or empty the tank too much on a race that wasn't that important to me. I did pick it up in the second half though - 19:15/19:09 for the 5k splits.

Mace - Relegating you would have just been silly anyway as your official time is no reflection of your current fitness! Though doing so was definitely in me yesterday - my feeling is I'd have been close to Skinny's 38:01 at full beans. Will probably have to wait until the autumn to find out though...

• Options

So, having finally reading back properly...

How's the face plant casualty now, McF - ouch?! image Hope you properly shake off your own tumble this week, DT! Decent mileage despite that.

A very encouraging intervals session for Mr V, that's got to be a realistic 5k pace as a minimum surely with that sort of volume? Another great long 'un with an awesome 14@MP from Mace, sub-3 looking very realistic for Skinny, and more good progress from Pete.

How did your lad get on at parkrun, Charlie? Congrats on continuing your streak
    there. Just done some stalk, er...scouring, and agree with Skinny's assessment of
    your HM PB, madbee - cracking stuff. Seems like you're in a very good place too, McF, though as Pete suggests, perhaps be a little wary of not leaving your strongest efforts in the B races...?

Listen to your physio, marrows - get on the track for some middle-distance action
    once the mara is out of your legs. image And I'm ranking your speculation on the
    possible outcomes of splicing of you and Lit as my favourite post on here for some time! image

Re: Muddy's failed flapjack - sounds like you 'Overdone it?'image After all the talk
    of 'having the painters in', image hope you managed to get a plasterer in. Big week of miles too, some consolidation sounds a good idea.

Lit - sounds very pleasant over there. Still not very warm over here. 

• Options
    Big-Bad-Bob wrote (see)

Mace - Relegating you would have just been silly anyway as your official time is no reflection of your current fitness! Though doing so was definitely in me yesterday - my feeling is I'd have been close to Skinny's 38:01 at full beans. Will probably have to wait until the autumn to find out though...

Your PB yesterday matches my previous PB from Jan 2014, 38:24. I'm hoping by the autumn that if I survive the marathon I might have a 37:XX for you to chase down - by then I'm sure that it will be a promotion/relegation issue unless someone else (and I'm thinking Charlie) has already relegated me!

• Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

Bob - Still can't believe you didn't give it full beans!! Though I understand your reasoning given track is your priority. Yeah hopefully the session suggests some good performances are around the corner. I'm looking forward to Sunday's 5 miler now and seeing what comes out.

Skinny - A 37:xx certainly sounds realistic for you. Though obviously you have bigger fish to fry first!

• Options

Skinny - Yes, I thought 38:24 sounded familiar! If you got to run on a fast, flat course like Lincoln, you'd already have a 37:xx to your name, and it was more the feeling that I'd got a lower 38:xx in me that I was describing, than a specific plan to knock you off your perch. I'm sure your best will be well out of my reach by the time I next run a 10k anyway, and as you say, with competition from Charlie (not to mention Lou and others) coming up on the rails, ever getting back into the top league looks a long shot for me - even if I did switch my focus on to the longer distances.

Look forward to seeing what you can do on Sunday, Mr V. I reckon Muddy might have a stiffer target for the gold cell at the MF5 than your current 28:33.

On the levels of effort, Charlie asked me on Connect what I was getting at by not 'hurting' myself yesterday, and chose to partly answer with a comparison of my 2014 and 2015 Lincoln photos. I think they make the point quite nicely - last year really was tough over that closing kilometre or so...ooooof!

http://www.marathon-photos.com/scripts/event.py?event=Sports/CPUK/2014/Lincoln%20City%2010K&match=262&name=Robert

http://www.marathon-photos.com/scripts/event.py?event=Sports/CPUK/2015/City%20of%20Lincoln%2010K&match=4625&name=Robert

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Steady Mace, steady.  Amazing achievement to hit that kind of mileage, but don't forget the goal is the race, not the training (hi pot, you're black, love kettle.  This is something I keep having to remind myself of when I'm about to add miles just to hit a made up mileage target).  

Bob, incredible cruising round Lincoln image I did my first ever 10K there, in the spectacular time of 58.xx.  Would quite like to go back and give it some welly sometime.

Marrows, aqua-jogging sounds a bit mad to be honest!  Well done for your restraint though.  I too enjoyed the speculation on the lit-marrows cut and shut.

Nice solid race there McF.  Guessing you didn't do an awful lot of tapering either, so good result on what sounds a tough course image

Coniston has left me feeling a bit lost in the end.  The aim was to use it as an MP run to see how comfortable it felt at 3:15 pace in company, but the course was so different to London, I was untapered, and I got a bit carried away and went slightly quicker.  This resulted in me feeling pretty knackered at the end (though perfectly capable of carrying on - it's just if I feel like that at mile 14 of the marathon I'm buggered).  I don't know if this means I should stick to plan A, and aim for a more conservative 3:20, or just trust that I'll be a bit more comfortable on a flat course after a taper and actually at the correct pace (for reference, I was running about 10 seconds a mile too quick on average). Any thoughts, experienced people?

• Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭

Marrows - I have a ballot place so think it is the blue start.  Can't remember what time I put so no idea what pen etc.  Don't we get the final magazine thing this week?  Where will you be?   

Lou and I spent a fortnight in Turkey in August aqua jogging.  He was injured and I was just finding it too hot to run outside even at 5am.  There is a P&D schedule somewhere - involves lots of intervals as steady state just too dull in the pool.  

Bob - the casualty is fine.  Although is now nursing a chin scrape after falling off the trampoline.  She's a bit clumsy (might take after her mother in that respect).  

Pete/Bob - the plan allows, indeed demands, a number of races to be races hard at all out effort especially in the last few weeks.  I guess it's part of the sharpening process and I think is part of the mental toughening as much as anything else.  Anyway, the last race is only 5 miles and three weeks out from the marathon so plenty of time for recovery. (And I think the plan schedules a long run the next day to replicate the running on tired legs feeling in the marathon itself).

I don't particularly want to put all my eggs in one basket.  Yes, the marathon is my A race but anything could happen - I could fall over, I could wake up with flu, the knee could flare up badly.  At least if I've scored a few PB's along the way it won't have been a wasted training cycle.  

Bob/Lit - thinking about doing Robin Hood half in September.  as it was my first ever half back in 2009 I'd like to go back.  website says they are having a new route for 2015 though.  Do you know anything about it?  Still a PB potential?  

Skinny - when you do the tables for Bob's new PB can you take me a pound off?  10st 3 now.  

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Id heard about the new Robin Hood route also. I have a place for that as i deferred last september with injury. My view is that to attract quality runners they want it as flat as possible and therefore they will only tinker to achieve that?

Mace- I'm thinking you should perhaps declare yourself 'professional' from a training perspective at least?!

Marrows- Is your marathon under threat at all?

Easy 4 miles for me lunchtime to kick off the week. I took a colleague with me who had been flirting with the idea for some time. I suggested that as i was running a 3.5 mile loop at recovery pace (i ran up an down the street to make 4) then today might be the best time to try. He's 11 years younger than me and plays badminton to a decent level so I thought he would have a reasonable fitness base. Not the case however and I had to abandon him sprawled on the floor at two miles. He made it back in one piece eventually. I think he has a touch more respect for me now espcially when i told him i'd ran a marathon nearly 1 mm quicker!!

• Options

Ta Bob. My son ran as a bandit (can you bandit at parkruns?) but stopped his watch at 23:10 running past the funnel. Good result considering he started further back and fell foul of the 400-person bottleneck into the woods. Plus he doesn't do any running other than rugby so this was *really long distance* to him. Main thing was it stirred his competitive side so he is up for more. Might try to take him down Worcester AC once rugby season is over - I see an 800m runner in there somewhere.

• Options
    PeteHew wrote (see)

Amazing long run, Skinny!  I'd be very happy to maintain 6:55 per mile to give me a 5k pb but you casually dropped in 15 miles in training!  Looking good - be careful for next few weeks.

EDIT: How did I miss mace's 95 mile week?  Stunned.  Don't break!

Mr P & Mr D, who I have put all my trust in, don't really allow for being really careful but I shall not do anything off plan from now to race day. Other than some minor tinkering I have tried to follow their up to 55 plan throughout and not exceed it.

On the other hand Mace seems to be writing an extra chapter of his own on the 70-85 plan.

• Options
    Madbee wrote (see)

Coniston has left me feeling a bit lost in the end.  The aim was to use it as an MP run to see how comfortable it felt at 3:15 pace in company, but the course was so different to London, I was untapered, and I got a bit carried away and went slightly quicker.  This resulted in me feeling pretty knackered at the end (though perfectly capable of carrying on - it's just if I feel like that at mile 14 of the marathon I'm buggered).  I don't know if this means I should stick to plan A, and aim for a more conservative 3:20, or just trust that I'll be a bit more comfortable on a flat course after a taper and actually at the correct pace (for reference, I was running about 10 seconds a mile too quick on average). Any thoughts, experienced people?

I am not at all experienced and you may get a more informed opinion on the P&D thread but based on my own hilly 12.2 last week that I ran at 6:30 pace I gave myself 5 secs off that per mile for an idea of an equivalent flat run. On my estimate marathon time method of *2 plus 12 that leaves me around 3 hours which I think is about right.

So that means you can give 15 secs per mile (your 10 too fast plus the 5 for it being hilly) effort back and still aim for 3:15 marathon pace. I think 15 secs per mile can feel a lot more comfortable around those paces. In other words if you run at the same effort after 14 miles you won't feel anything like as knackered - what that means for you beyond 20 I have no idea.

Add in extra energy from a taper (I hope!!) and that sounds like 3:15 is a reasonable target. 

I think you should take Coniston as a big confidence booster that untapered you are in good shape and 3:15 is just waiting to greet you in The Mall (or wherever it finishes)

• Options

Above updated for

Bob - finally getting a wind free day and sauntering smoothly to a 1 minute PB before abandoning proper running and going and playing near his sand pit for the summer - looking forward to reading about some fast running soon that I don't understandimage.

McF - losing a pound.

Not to be a regular feature of the weekly updates but some other notable performances from the weekend:-

McF running a HM time 1 minute outside her PB but showing fine form post pregnancy.

Madbee running a HM PB somewhere within a lumpy 13.875 mile run in 1:41:23. 

Charlie notching up another parkrun course PB to make 10 on the trot.

• Options

PS Madbee - I have been pissing about with the Runners World calculators - all my other race times predict a faster marathon time than I am aiming for - that makes sense because I have only done the up to 55 plan and most people aiming for sub 3 will have done more miles but it gives me some comfort that I'm in the right ball park - I think because you have done the 55-70 plan there is no reason to believe you can't convert those race paces up to the full marathon - for example what does your 10 mile time equate to according to the calculators?

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Have you trid the fetch calculator? That was my closest one last year.

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Hmm yes madbee, standard practice is use all the calculators until you find the one that gives the answer you believed already before looking at the calculators

DT - not sure yet, but I have an Abingdon place just in case, or could get an Edinburgh place (standard entries have sold out, but good for age entries close on 5th May)

• Options

DT - that Fetch one has got to be bollocks - I don't have a current Half time which is the only time it uses but it reckons you need to have a Half time of 1:22 to go sub 3 - I just can't believe that is true and hope it isn't!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)

DT - that Fetch one has got to be bollocks - I don't have a current Half time which is the only time it uses but it reckons you need to have a Half time of 1:22 to go sub 3 - I just can't believe that is true and hope it isn't!

I've seen people not even break 3hours with fast halves under their belts. Can happen.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    mace wrote (see)

95M week.

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the input folks, Skinny, that's basically what I wanted to hear I think! I do generally convert quite well on previous form - a 3:27 off a 1:39 half, for exampleimage

My 10 mile time gives an annoying 3:16 prediction, but on that basis I'm thinking there's not much to lose giving it a bash!

Marrows, hope things start looking up, would be disappointing not to get to that London.
  • Options
    SG - fast?

Anyway your fact is irrelevant because random failures are not what is of interest - I may well be a random failure but to get to that point I need a sensible target time based on more average performances.

Madbee - glad to have found the right answer!image