Options

P&D Spring Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I think I'm easing into mine a little too enthusiastically. 20 miler done today. Plan was to get there by end of year. Wanted to try a new route which is the closest to flat I will get here. Will reverse it next week to decide best way. Feel wiped now. Came out 7.59mm so about 55 secs off Mara pace. Finished with a 7.23 mile so obviously had something left in me. 

• Options

Good good, another one for me to lurk on.  Paris for me on 6th April, up to 55 miles 18 week schedule, Sub 4 Or Die.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

DT19 - you don't want to peak to early...

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

yer-maj - no lurking allowed. You have to contribute!

• Options

Hi Camberwell,

That is pretty much what I tried to do.  I increased my mileage in the weeks before the programme started.

I just checked my log, and I wasn't as good as I remembered. In the 12 weeks before the programme, I averaged only 14mpw, with a maximum of 21   (I really thought I'd done a lot more than that!)

Still, it shows me that there's scope for improvement!

• Options
  • Options

I'm gearing up to get started in a couple of weeks.  Major improvement on last year in that I'm not starting injured - I carried that right through training last year and ended up doing about 6 weeks of it on the bike.  Managed a 4:12:55 in April so if I can stay in one piece I have a hope of sub 4 I reckon  I don't fancy the alternative much....

• Options

I'll be following the 18/55-70 plan this time round, loosely followed the 18/55 plan last time round, I ran the LT sessions at MP, usually up to 10 miles, narrowly missed out on a sub 4 at Baxters but I did achieve a 26 minute PB image

McMillan predicts a 3:50 marathon off a recent HM so will use that as a starting point for the training paces going forward.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Think it's a good idea to add the endurance first, and then when that is sorted add the speedwork - adding both at same time often leads to injury. So - getting used to running lots and lots in the build up is a good idea.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

15 west- yes I am aware to that. I just want to know that when I come to long runs with large chunks at mp that lack of endurance doesn't hold me back and end up not executing them properly. 

• Options

Can I join in too?

I'm thinking of taking on the 18week up to 55mile schedule for Manchester. I've had a scoot at the Autumn thread and it looks like some of you have done brilliantly off the plans (special shout out to Tiny from the Yorkshire marathon thread!) The schedule looks a little bit scary but even if it doesn't go too well, at least I'll learn to use the word twat with creativity and flair... It's a win-win as far as I'm concerned! 

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Not sure what to call you Not So Great North Runner...how about NSGNR? Or just NS?

Anyway, welcome. It does look a bit scary but once you get going it's ok. It's knackering though, and takes over your life a bit...but all worth it in the end. How much running you doing at the moment...you don't want to do too much too quickly otherwise injury beckons.

• Options

It's like 15W is everyone's Forum Dad. image

On the subject of twats, where's HeOw?

• Options

Well count me in ....again! Hopefully I will actually get to run the bloody marathon this time injuries aside. Still building up my base at the moment but will be aiming for the 18wk up to 55, fingers crossed I get to the start line.

At this moment in time I am considering cross-training on my recovery run days as after the marathon I will be focusing on triathlons so need to keep up with the swimming and biking...... thought please image. No doubt that this will change once those miles start adding up.

Oh forgot to say hello to everyone.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Yes, call me daddy.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Which marathon Lisa?

• Options

I like the individual welcomes! I'm building up the miles after York - currently running about 35 miles, very slowly. I'm doing the Brass Monkey Half in January so I may start the plan a week early.

• Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

Great to see so much enthusiasm for spring marathons!

Having done the up to 55 mile 18 week schedule I can say that P&D schedules are pretty hardcore, mainly because they work you hard a couple of times in the week as well as the weekend. Better make sure you have a good alarm clock and a head torch!

Lisa I think cross training instead of recovery runs is acceptable but obviously it would be better to be a real teacher's pet and do the x-training on the rest days!

I cycle to work (12 miles a day) as well as the running and I think the cycling probably helps a bit.

• Options

Oh yes 'daddy' I forgot that essential bit of info - Brighton which is the 6th April. Think that this means that I start P&Ding on 2nd Dec, crikey that will come round in no time..eek

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

I cycle to work too..about 8mi a day. Lisa with the cross training a swim or cycle instead of a recovery run probably wouldn't hurt. A swim or cycle as well as recovery run would be better though!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Think that's same date as Manchester Lisa - so you'll have lots of company.

• Options

Just really want to avoid injury this time. Last winter torn hamstring (probably due to slipping on snow, and being a little bit shit at pacing myself), this summer tibial stress fracture too much speedwork with marathon training miles and very little rest days.

Will see how things go as I have also signed up for a swimathon in March and a sportive in Feb image. Nothing like a bit of overtraining - when will I learn!!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Lisa - get the book out and read the chapter on recovery. Important to recover from the tougher sessions as much as poss.

• Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

If you can't stop overtraining Lisa then you are in good company. Almost every keen runner seems to do it. My work colleague (a 2:40 marathoner) said that one of the biggest improvements he made was when he learnt to train slower!

It is human nature to assume that more pain means more gain but apparently this is not always the case.

• Options

Lisa..  The rule was made clear early on. You are not allowed to be a bit shit.

See you in Brighton image

• Options

Ooh it's all go in here isn't it?!

Hi NSGNR!  The plans do look scary at first - I remember every Sunday night looking at the schedule for the week ahead and thinking "how the hell am I going to manage that?!"  But somehow you just do.  Take each session at a time and you'll be fine image

Good to see you here again Lisa, really hope you have an injury-free build up for this one.

Shazmo - I have loads of friends doing Manchester so I think I'm going to fulfil the role of cheerleader/sherpa/giver out of gels person.  I'm going to make big signs and flags and everything.  And for a tiny person, I really can cheer image

• Options

I am a bit uncomfortable with so few long runs - by long I mean over 20 miles on the 55 mpw plans. I'm not sure I'm confident enough to take on the distance without at least 6 beforehand, although I like the look of the rest of it.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Rosie- That is my major concern with the schedule. There are 3 twenty milers and thats it re distance.

I was expecting to be asked to run at least circa 5 times at 20 miles and over to 22.

Can anyone else with experience of this plan advise if 3- 20 milers is enough?

• Options

I'm glad its not just me. I have experimented a bit, I've tried 8-9 20 milers which was ok but I got my autumn pb off  2 x 20, 2 x 22 and 2 x 24 milers and my instinct is to stick with that at least as far as the long runs go. I do however want to try adding more mp runs, which I can maybe do with the medium long runs from the plan.

• Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Yay, Lisa is back. Hope you stay injury free. I didn’t do many (if any) of the recovery runs and I still managed a 20 minute PB, so I think you’ll be OK.

Tiny – I look forward to your cheers in Manchester as I’m intending to do the half-half relay. You can get some tips from Daddy West (no relation to Fred) cos he’s a brilliant cheerleader image

As for the number of long runs. I did 18, 17, 20, 19, 18, 18, 22 then taper. I had good intentions of doing more 20+ runs but found I’d lost the will to live by about 17 miles – boredom rather than fatigue. I also did most of my long runs at marathon pace (slaps own wrist). This is because I find it really difficult to run ‘slowly’...I feel like my stride/gait is all over the place, so I just ran at what ever felt comfortable and this happened to be my (then) marathon goal pace. As it happens on race day I went slightly quicker.