Options

P&D Spring Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options

That's an impressive comeback run, Lisa. Well done! I may yet try cycling for recovery, though I only have a hybrid bike and I'm not sure it's as much fun as a proper road/racing bike. 

SGB - I ?download/?upload (not sure of correct terminology) the runs from my garmin to www.fetcheveryone.com . It shows me my weekly, monthly and yearly mileage. I tend to use this instead of garmin connect, as I find it a bit more useful. Have a look - it's free to use.

Your maj - don't go too wild with the training image.

• Options

North Runner - Thanks.  Fetcheverything looks great, but I would want to keep all my run data on Garmin Connect as well.  I can see how to import data directly from my Garmin, or to be precise from one of them.  However I can't see how to get data from the Garmin Connect site to Fetcheverything.  A shame!

• Options

SGB - I think you probably need to upload directly from your watch, at least that's what I do. If you've got loads of data that would be tricky, though the owner of the site does say to email him if you want to transfer lots of files and he will help. Garmin connect is probably better for looking at data from individual runs anyway - fetch just gives you that birds eye view. 

Looking forward to to hearing about those that start their plan this week.

• Options

I'll let you know in the morning.  As it's a Monday, anything could happen....

• Options

Glad to know that you're fit again. Good news.

Unfortunately, I'm suffering from a really bad case of lazyitis.  Does anyone know a cure?

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Lisa - well done on that race...must feel good to be running injury free again. Make sure you recover well.

I will also be doing my long runs on a saturday as that fits in better with the family (for now). Infact already started really and ran (about) 16mi yesterday.Beers in the afternoon undid all that hard work though.

I upload all my garmin stuff to sporttracks.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Sbg- I have only done parkrun twice. Trying to do it every few months to gauge progress. 

In terms of day of long run, at moment mine is a Tuesday and will remain so until new year. I just work the rest of my other runs around that.

In terms of a tune up race, I have now found a 10k I really fancy but its on same day as HM I found. Question therefore is, what would be the better distance to do as its one or other? 

• Options

Hmm P&D, wonder how well this works?

• Options

JF50 it got me a 44 minute pb last year.  It's demanding, but I've gone back to it for another round and a shot at a sub 4

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Hey JF50 - how's it going? Signed up for a spring marathon?

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Going to get cold this week...

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yep, just as everyone i about to start their programmes. Ive not neded anything but shorts and long sleeved t so far, but think I might at least dig out my gloves, hat and legs in readiness.

• Options

Well I can tick off day one of the schedule.  Even though it's a Monday, nothing fell off....even managed to cling onto my HM pace for a whopping 6k  image

• Options

Hi 15w, yes got a place in VLM courtesy of hitting 60 next year and squeezing into the GFA time.  

Have also managed to find myself being made redundant, thinking about moving, perhaps early retiring, perhaps something different in work, but pretty cool about it especially as it means training is easy at the moment in daylight.

Yer maj congrats on last year, I used P&D as well and didn't pb but got within 40 seconds of my previous time 5 years earlier so convinced of the benefits of the programme, and it means I have the GFA place, so just need to repeat it again.  Set to start my 18 week programme on 9th December.

• Options

Sounds like marathon training will be a walk in the park on top of that lot....

• Options

Hello again to all of you image

I will be running my first VLM next year and following a (slightly adapted - SHIT THE BED!) P&D 70-85, 12-weeker

After the disappointment of the New Forest marathon I've raced a lot - 3xHM, 2x10milers and a Parkrun. Got under 60 for the 10(59:22), under 80 for the HM(78:20), came 2nd in another HM and won a Parkrun image

It's been really good to get something positive out of the last training cycle.

Re : the long run debate : I don't do anything over 20 and only 3x20milers. One of them will be all at MP (Bramley 20m race) and another is a 10m race with a 10m 'warm up'. 

• Options

And that's exactly what I did into Brighton this year where I ran a big PB

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I was debating doing a 20 mile race. There is one relatively local about 4 weeks out. I am just concerned-

1. I will race it.

2. 20 at mara pace if I can stick to it that close in carries to many injury risks.

I am due to start the plan next monday, however i went to the gym in my lunch 'hour' and did 7 miles with 4 at hmp. Tomorrow is my long run day off, so by the time i have done that, it only leaves the easy sessions from week 1, therefore I might as well have this as an additional week unofficially.

• Options

The 20 miles at MP is 8 weeks out for me and if I didn't feel up to it on the day and/or had any niggles then I would probably go for MP+30 secs or something similar. I should have mentioned that I won't be doing any of the prescribed long runs with chunks at MP as the 2 described above are really hard runs!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

DT19 - at 4 weeks out I would run that 20mi race at your usual long run pace and then speed up a bit for last few miles. Would take a fair amount of discipline though!

• Options

I know we all make our own decisions in the end on the long runs, number of etc. but I think this thread last year most people only went to 14 miles at the most at MP.  A race of 20 is likely to be faster than MP anyway and apart from the possibility of injury it will have a real impact on your training for a couple of weeks afterwards.

• Options

Each to their own i suppose JF. This year at Bramley I stuck to MP all the way and finished with more in the tank. Ran 6:35/mile there and 6:35/mile 7 weeks later at Brighton. Recovery-wise, I took 2 very easy days afterwards (5 at crawling pace), and did all the mileage for the following week gently (it was a recovery week anyway) and then back on schedule the following week with no problems.

May be it wouldn't work for some people but it's a massive confidence boost if it does. For comparison, in training for the New Forest marathon this autumn, I found the 18 with 14 at MP training run far more demanding mentally than the 20 at Bramley. Perhaps the adrenaline of having a number on etc made it easier?

Anyway, do whatever works for you is the order of the day. If it's your first P&D then i would definitely recommend sticking to the schedule as a starting point

• Options

Agree Ryan its a very personal choice, I guess with yours you had 7 weeks to race day and you kept to MP.  The danger is probably going quicker than MP and the closer to race day the more damaging that could be, potentially.

Again agree that the more experience you have allows you to tailor programmes to match your own abilities.

I think last year everybody found the 18 with 14 at MP a tough one, weird as a few weeks later it will seem a doddle. 

• Options

I definitely agree that too many people race a 20, too close to marathon day and leave their best on the 20 mile course. Good marathon training is about balancing risk vs reward IMO. 20 at MP is probably too big a risk 3/4 weeks out.

Anyway, I think part of my original point was that lots of 20m+ long runs are not a prerequisite for a good marathon image

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I dont trust myself to race a sensible 20 miles, and as per above, I think 4 weeks out is too risky.

I have now found both a half 5 weeks out, and then a 10k the following weekend (though they also simultaneously run a half) that is actually on a saturday morning. I think they will do as tune up races.

Only thing then to decide is do i use the half as the 14 miles at mp or race it to see if im quicker than i am now!

• Options

I've read this discussion with interest. There is a 20mile run (the East Hull 20) near me, four weeks out from the marathon. I was thinking of using this to practice my 14miles at marathon pace, which I think is scheduled for a week earlier. I think I could stay disciplined and stick to PMP, and use the first 5 or 6 miles as a warm up. Does this seem reasonable or am I asking for trouble?

Yer Maj - well done on starting. Glad nothing fell off ... 

JF50 - sounds like a difficult year, but you sound cool with it. Well done on GFA.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

depends how disciplined you are...I think races are ideal for practicing MP, much easier than out there on your own. I wouldn't mind finding a 20mile race near me for the very same thing...

• Options

I don't think I'd have much trouble sticking to warm-up then marathon pace in a 20-mile race unless I thought I was actually going to win - 20 miles isn't a particularly iconic distance to get a PB at, after all. I've used a 30k as an easy run in the countryside and a 7 mile race as a tempo - maybe once you've done it a couple of times you lose the need to 'race' just because you've got a number on.

In other news, I got a new half marathon PB of 1:27:50 at Gosport yesterday. image. Regular readers of the other thread will know that my A race was a spectacular DNF after which I spent 3 weeks benched with a sprained ankle, so it was nice to claw something back from my summer of training, even though not really in peak form any more.

And welcome back to JF50 and Ryan. image

• Options

Thanks for the advice, 15W and Literatin. I've now gone and signed up!

Literatin - well done with the PB. That's an amazing time! 

• Options

JF 50 - Belated welcome.  I'm also in the happy position of getting into Virgin Money London Marathon 2014 by virtue of the newly-extended time limit for V60s.  I thought 3:30 was too hard, and to me 3:45 seems fairer.

Lit - Congratulations on a fantastic PB of 1:27:50 for half-marathon!  If that's not peak form then ....