Options

The Wales Marathon

Comments

• Options

4 weeks to go. Really looking forward to this now.

Was down in Pembroke last week and locals(non runners) had all heard about the event.

LC... impressed your so organised! That is what marathon training is all about. Only had about 7 weeks to train for this one Two good weeks in the bag so far, Three to go before a rest.

• Options

Thanks all, thats what I wanted to hear, now I can really start to enjoy the build up to what will be a great event for all involved.

Spirited reaction 8iron, well said. I am just an oldie with paranoia.

SP, your perspective is sound. As for all of us, this event is important to me, hence worry.Just 3 weekends left now, have I overfilled them or left myself short...... 

• Options

Thanks for your kind words samruns, i'll definitely follow your advice re taking it slowly at the start.

I can't believe how quickly the time is passing now, the weeks are flying by! Hope everyone's training is going well, i'll be doing my last long run this weekend.

• Options

Im doing the Wolverhampton marathon this wk end coming not quite as scenic as I hope Tenby is gonna beimage

• Options

2 marathons in 1 month hey, that's quite a schedule!

TBH I don't think Wolverhampton will be very scenic, but you won't have long to wait before the views of Tenby image 

• Options
    Its not, its all housing estates trading estates and two laps I' ve done it several times before Its just localish to me, saves havin to stay away from home or have the weekend off work. 
  • Options
    Hi I am running the marathon and I wondering where will the drink stations be.EG every two miles or so?
    will it be water or maybe isotonic.
    I hope all your first times enjoy it.
  • Options
    Generally on marathons its about every 3miles and usually water unless its been sponsored by a isotonic drink company.   I always think try and be as self sufficient as you can as regards drinks and gels etc because if its a hot day they may not have catered for enough water and if you are lucky enough to get a station with isotonic you may be unlucky enough to have a gut reaction as its not the brand you are used to!! and that aint pretty trust meimageIt should say in the race pack where on the route the drinks are.  I usually carry a 750ml bottle I use an empty still water bottle with a sports cap and fill it with my preferred drink.  Obviously thats only enough because I spend the two days before drinking bottles of isotonic and peeing !!  Hope everyone has a positive last long run this wkend.
  • Options

Phill in fitter - This event is being sponsored by Infinite energy drinks, so i guess these will be available at each drink station, hopefully along with water as well. I've not tried this brand of energy drink before so i'll be using my own gels plus water, which is how i've trained.

I don't know where each station will be positioned, but there will be 10 in total. 

Last long run this weekend, looks like it's going to be a hot day tomorrow so i'll be getting out early before the mercury rises!

Hope everyone's training is going well, won't be long now until race time image

• Options

yes there are 10 stations on course, every 3 miles and 1 extra thrown in towards the end for good measure!!! Infinit is a great brand, i discovered them at Ironman - they actualy tweak the drink for you as well so it is very personal.  they will have the drinks en route and recovery drink at the end too.

Matt - Happy to see your training is going well!!

• Options

a hilly 17 before work this morning as very busy up to the marathon. Lovely sun rise over the Black Mountains.

One more long run next week for me as only done two so far. Feeling good and looking forward ro race.

Water and digestive biscuits are my poison on Marathons. Every three miles will be great

• Options
    8iron do you now how many are running the full marathon?
    I ran the Roman run on Saturday and my legs are letting me now it.
    It was my 3Rd go and I had a PB of 2.13.
    and so on to Tenby next.
  • Options
    i can check, surprisingly more are running the marathon than the half!!
  • Options

hello all,

sorry if this question has already been asked, but does anyone know when we will get our information packs by post.....?

Andy

• Options
    end of this week by email
  • Options

What about race packs?

The race website now seems to indicate they have to be collected either on the morning of the race or the day before, I'm running the half and going to Tenby to collect a race pack on race day (3 to 5 hours before the race) is not an option.

I'm out if that is the case, and will be seeking a refund

• Options

Don - can you not get it the day before or come to the pasta party?  Registration is open friday and Saturday before the race. 

No race numbers are being sent out.  Everything does have to be collected.  If you cant make it to registration, call fran in the office and we can sort something out and try and get it delivered to you at the start line prior to the half marathon parade.  01437 765777; she is in the office on monday.

Always a way round it.

• Options
    phil - was the roman run a full marathon??  2.13??  you may well win in Tenby!!
  • Options

Hilly 22 around the Epynt Way this afternoon, felt tired after 14 but then came back strong from 18 to 22....pleased.

Got news letter by email. Will collect number etc night before and check out the route on the way.

Two weeks to go and no injuries. Going to enjoy this one.

• Options
    Hi all - I will be running in Tenby and it will be my 1st marathon last long run tomorrow with my club then wrap myself up in cotton wool for 2wks. Anyone got any Idea of the profile of the course? Also there are enery drinks on course but are there gels? personally not looking for a time as I am not to sure of what to expect after 20-22miles just want to cross the line, training been ok run a PB in Bristol last week so quite happy so far with the build up.
  • Options

8iron - Thanks for yor response. I'll call Fran on Monday

I can't make the pasta party, but if push came to shove I could drive the 100+ mile round trip to collect the race packs on Saturday, but that does seem a strange and expensive thing to have to do when something could just be posted to me, or others in my situation.

There was no mention of expos and the like when I registered for his one, so just starting to get a bit peeved about this event... and  know I'm not the only one.

Still close to just knocking it on the head....

• Options
    8iron the Roman run is 16 miles and a bit hilly.18 miles for me Sunday,then start to wined down,see you all at Tenby.
    Dave rose hope you are fit and well?
  • Options

Don b - Expo as always been there and cannot understand 100 mile round trip??

the half marathon start is 15 mins drive from registration.  If you are coming from away on the day you may as well go through tenby on the way, as its the same time wise if you head on the main road from kilgetty to pembroke really. Not only that there is a coach laid on to take you from registration to the start line and bring your bag back to the finish line to pick up.

Registration is open friday 12-8, sat 4-8 and sunday morning in Tenby itself for those entering on the day between 7 and 9. 

Struggling to see the issue!!  But by all means call Fran.  Can you PM me so I can get your details and will ask fran to call you first thing monday.

• Options
    Don b - nearly every marathon i've done i've had to register and collect my number before the event, i think it's the way forward, i'm sure it keeps costs down and provides runners with other benfits such as drink stations,road closures and goody bags. (i could go on) 
  • Options

BBF I've not entered the marathon, I've entered the half, and I've never ever had to go to an expo to pick up a race pack for an half marathon, ever...

My issue is that when I entered this event I presumed it would be starting and finishing in Tenby, there was no route on the website at this time. Maybe the expo was always listed, if so I didn't see that, and to be honest if the half was starting in Tenby this would not be an issue for me either, but my race is now starting in Penbroke isn't it.

If I was doing the marathon I would have no issues with this event or how its been organised, but I'm not I'm doing the half and its lacking in consideration for those runners. My issue is having to go to Tenby to collect my race pack, my race starts at noon in Penbroke, so going to Tenby before 9am just isn't  convenient, we have a 3 year old to think about and this is gonna mean a lot of hanging around before the race even starts.

• Options

8iron - I live over 50 miles away, this is where my 100 mile round trip comes from if I have to collect our race packs on the Friday or Saturday, and if I collect on race day we're gonna be at the start of a race 3 hours before it starts, not good really is it.

Posting the half marathon packs or issuing them at Pembroke would remove this agro. This is my main issue, which could of easily been resolved if given a little more consideration to people entering the half, which I can only presume wasn't high on the agenda when organising the marathon, but maybe should be considered for the future...

• Options

Don b- Race always started in Pembroke at 12?  Not sure how you missed it.  If you PM me your details as i have said we can call you and arrange something.

I too have not had a race number posted in years, but as said if you PM me your name and details fran can call you.  She is aware and waiting for your details.  Sometimes easier to call the office rather tghan post on third party websites, we all want you to have a great day.  Sorry if you got confused.

• Options

DonB also just to say that we organise a large number of events and we also time other events all over the  uk.

Sending out the chips means that a high percentage of people leave them behind causing problems on the day and often means that the athlete doent get a time.

Also last year the postal stike casused havoc as you can imagine.

Looking forward to meeting you and it will be an awesome event.

• Options
    I would just like to point out that the marathon start time was in dispute early on, I havent received a race pack by email or whatever it was I was meant to be getting,  also registering can be a bug bear when you got to park, find the place etc.  Someone mentioned earlier that they have often had to register and it was ok,  I find it a pain in the backside I like to be prepared before travelling and have all the info beforehand and surely thats the point of a race pack to ensure prior organisation but if you only get it a few hours before you start whats the point?  I much prefer receiving my stuff in the post. Leading a very busy lifestyle as most of us do very often I fit a marathon and travelling in on a day and you will find most marathoners do to we just want to arrive run and leave making it hasstle free and memorable to do again.  Dont get me wrong Im not up in arms about registering tho I have only had to do it once before and that was in Prague, and I have done quite a few, but I do feel Don B needs a bit of support in his gripe.
  • Options

I have to say that the event page was in its early days when i registered and i didnt state the half marathon start time or route and im quite sure when i entered there was no mention of a EXPO to collect numbers. My gripe as Don says is picking numbers up on race day from Tenby before 9am means hanging around 3 hrs to my race start, i did request my number to be sent out but im told i have to collect from Tenby which means making a trip twice.

Means this race is now becoming expensive due to additional pertrol etc. I hope its worth it.