Options

The Wales Marathon

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    EER Im wondering why with all this post race chat we havent any input from the organisers who were chatting on this site & raving about the organisation.  I know one poor guy got alot of flak because he was moaning about picking up his number prior to the race and it resulted in him pulling out  and the organisers were straight back at him when he was posting his queries and moans. I think it is fair to say it didnt run smoothly, we didnt get the chip timed marathon and results that most of us get when we have done other ones, and whats with "top 10" results that you get when you tap in race results on the sites homepage?  what about the rest of us? we all payed the same money and suffered for longer! I want all the results and I wanted them on Monday thats what my race entry was paying for oh and also I payed for a green marathon number not a red half marathon one which I had to fold over so I didnt get directed off on the wrong route HA HA HA who was I kidding when it came to the end.  Why hasnt someone been on the forum and said hey yeah it didnt run smooth  SORRY we will do betta next year nobody minds a cock up if at least someone apologises
  • Options

... Yes, my garmin said 25.8 but I do know that the signal sometimes disappears along the route because it did on some of my training runs (not sure if it would make up the distance though!!).  My hubby did the half marathon and his time isn't showing yet, his details are, but no time.!! there was definately a cock up with the bib colours and this has probably led to a few of the problems.  Lets hope it sorts itself for next year because the rest of the organisation was great as was the run x

• Options

Mark (307) and Martyn (317) - just like to say that I thoroughly enjoyed running 23/26 miles with you guys.  Made my first marathon more manageable than it would otherwise have been.  Found out today that I didn't get a place in London so I will hopefully catch up with you at the equally glamorous Llanelli marathon.  If so, I bet we don't see anything like the sight we saw at the side of the road! image

On a wider note, the Garmin numbers seem to be very consistent at around 25.7 miles (including mine).  I doubt they all blacked out at the same time, but I take the point made earlier about the readings on the many, many, many hills.....

• Options
    hi all my garmin also read 26.73.so guess course was a bit out.but even after the 1st o 2nd mile the markers seemed to be out.so think we started at the wrong place? but i must say i really injoyed the course and the day. lot better than llaneli course.and hope they can sort out the little problems for next year.love too run it again.thx
  • Options

flying ant - sorry you didnt get an elite place but did not qualify!!

As for the course we can only go on what we are given when they measure. Jones counter not Garmin!!  I train with garmin and race suunto but always a little out.  

Had loads of great comments, but as fo the timings... you got me.  We used a chip timing company and we cannot defend them really and hence bib numbers went off the wall!!!!  Gutted!!.  9 out of 600 times not too bad though and 7 entered the wrong race so gun time gave them wrong times.  

Awesome feedback from most though and thanks.  Over half million to charity,1350 athletes on first event and ironman confirmed!! Pretty good if you ask me!!

Smurf - Winners got more than paperweight!! But yes inccrease in prizes next year, no one makes money in first year when they dress and put on stands like we did!! 

Anyone, next years event scheduled for June and this is the fixed date as Ironman moving to the september slot.

Thanks all for coming down, I lknow its a long way down west for some and we really do appreciate it.

• Options

8iron,

I didn't get an 'elite' place because the race organisers didn't have the decency to email me back as to what an elite time was when i requested it, as well as not getting back to me when i requested exactly what the prizes would be ???              Hence , why i didn't enter the race !!

After seeing the results i take it that no one had applied for an 'elite' place anyway !!  And considering only 3 runners broke 3 hrs i'd have probably placed for a prize....... maybe i would have won an exclusive glass paperweight for all my troubles  image  

By the way, what were the prize categories and prizes awarded, ie,  first 3 runners (male and female), vets prizes, etc ?

If the organisation and communication is much improved for 2011 and it fits in with my race calendar then i may do this race !

• Options

8iron,

My comments aren't meant to offend in anyway, so please don't take it as so, its just my personal experiences of lack of communication from the race organisers, with the exception of one email to confirm that someone would contact me (but never did).  As for the paperweight prize, a fellow runner told me that this was awarded to one of the 3rd place finishers of the marathon, so i would genuinely be enlightened to hear that other / better prizes were offered as well.

Well done for staging another much needed marathon in Wales though.

• Options

flying - no worries.  Holidays etc were given out but no cash prizes, next year there will be as simply noone made on this event.

Have a look at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxjO52w830E
  • Options
    nice to see 8iron on here at least trying to smooth ova some cracks.  The course pretty much won me ova regardless.  I dont know how long before the race you knew about the bib no mess but you should have warned people before hand on the forum and website and put up a notice at the collection or told the people giving out the numbers to explain the problem I had to go back to the golf club a second time after working and driving 200 miles on that sat.  Not a happy or patient bunny that night.  But all that said the marshalling on the course was great and the support from local residents especially when they were able to direct me to the marathon finish...............
  • Options
    hello 8iron.big thx u for letting me know couple of days b4 the race that i could still enter and could you also pass on a big thx to natalie who texed me back about entering on the day.loved the course and the day well done for the 1st tenby marathon roll on the 2nd bigger and better
  • Options

The Chip Timing company that Wales Marathon used was Tri and Enter whose director is Scott Powell who also happens to be a race director for Wales Marathon so I don't think they can blame anyone else for the timing mistakes. There seems to be an awful lot of runners-swimmers-bikers who haven't got a finish time and I don't think they all wore their chip on their wrist.

Can you please tell us what charities were so lucky to benefit from half a million pounds raised? That  sounds a lot of money raised from around 1000 athletes.

We still haven't had the full result list from all categories and what prizes they had. Perhaps they had holidays from 8iron's other company Coastal Cottages.

• Options

Ha Ha Ha I Like your humour