Options

TdF 2010

Comments

• Options
    Wonder if Cancellara had one eye on winning today's stage and wanted to rest his legs a bit?
  • Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    Critical words from Wiggins on the BBC today.  His view is that the peloton shouldn't even have slowed to wait for crashed riders.  You have to suspect that Cancellara was only doing it to allow the Shrek boys to catch up. 
  • Options
    M.ister W wrote (see)
    Critical words from Wiggins on the BBC today.  His view is that the peloton shouldn't even have slowed to wait for crashed riders.  You have to suspect that Cancellara was only doing it to allow the Shrek boys to catch up. 

I greed that Cancellara had a responsability to his team, Butthe Code of Honour was that the peleton only waited if the Yellow Jersey crashed, There was nothing stopping Wiggins getting Sky to push on.

Still think once the Schlecks got back into the peleton the race should have been back on

• Options
    BB ✭✭✭
    Just watching Eurosport Hushovd's team are not happy
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

Agree  Dave if Hushovd and Wiggins didn't agree with the slow down then there was nothing stopping them pushing on.   

Didn't see the whole stage but Husovd's team looked to be on the front quite a bit of the day making it hard - presumably with the intention of using the hills and descent to drop Cav, Farrar etc - so I imagine they aren't happy about wasting so much energy which they could have done with today. 

• Options

Well they succeeded in dropping them both I think.

As for Wiggins pushing on - wasn't he one of the riders brought down?

• Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    It's odd that Wiggins was saying that because he was one of the crashees.  He wasn't as far back as the Shreks but if the peloton had pushed he would have had to work hard to catch up.
  • Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    we also don't know what was happening behind the scenes and maybe the Race Director was talking to the team managers who then issued team orders??

here's Stephen Roche's comments on yesterday

"It's been difficult coming to terms with it because I think it's totally disrespectful to the race organisers, and to the public, to do such a thing. It was a fabulous stage today that would have reshaped the overall GC and they kind of nullified the stage because of one or two riders basically deciding it was too dangerous.

It's ridiculous. I don't know what rule book they were reading, but it wasn't the rule book I read from."
  • Options

Made it home in time to watch...

Gorgeous weather there today, loads of crowds and Chavanel on a bike that is yellow one side and green the other !!

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    no spoilers please Dave......want to watch highlights tonight on Eurospurt
  • Options

Wouldn;' dream of it

Don't worry

• Options
    well, my half day off hasn't turned into more of a quater day.  i hope it's an interesting one today.  there's a new rule today, bike changes have to come from the team car which can only carry xrayed bikes!  that's so that no team guy can pass a motorised bike to a rider!  crazy world.
  • Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭

http://www.outsideconnection.com/gallant/hpv/mred/fs/P1010003.JPG

I can see how a team might slip this one past the race director.

• Options

That was pretty exciting to watch yesterday.

Here's teh virtual GC amongst teh GC riders.  Not really much in it I guess, but probably more than usual on stage 3 of the tour.

1      Cadel Evans (BMC)                  14:54:39      
    2     Andy Schleck (Saxo Bank)             0:00:30     
    3     Alexandre Vinokourov (Astana)           
    4     Alberto Contador (Astana)             0:01:01     
    5     Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Omega Pharma-Lotto)     0:01:03     
    6     Denis Menchov (Rabobank)             0:01:10     
    7     Bradley Wiggins (Team Sky)           
    8     Roman Kreuziger (Liquigas-Doimo)         0:01:45     
    9     Lance Armstrong (RadioShack)             0:01:51     
    10     Levi Leipheimer (RadioShack)             0:02:14     
    11     Michael Rogers (HTC-Columbia)             0:02:21     
    12     Andreas Klöden (RadioShack)             0:02:22     
    13     Robert Gesink (Rabobank)             0:02:37     
    14     Carlos Sastre (Cervelo TestTeam)         0:02:40     
    15     Ivan Basso (Liquigas-Doimo)             0:02:41
  • Options
    I thought Wiggo rode pretty well yesterday, he looked strong in the chasing group
  • Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    I found it hard to follow from the on-line commentary during the afternoon.  Then I found it almost as hard to follow when I watched the highlights.  There seemed to be groups coming and going, breaking up, people jumping off the front of one group and joining another.  It wasn't until the end that I realised Evans was in the front group and Wiggins was in the second.  A cracking good stage and much more interesting than the usual first week sprints.
  • Options

It's my first year of really watching this and I must say yesterday's stage for the last 30km was one of the most exciting bits of sport on TV I have seen for ages.

How Armstrong kept going through all that dust and crap after his puncture was amazing.

Hooked. 

• Options

Which on-line commentary were you using MW?  The BBC do their best but they're not a patch on the letour.fr one.  In fact sometimes I think the BBC are just reading the letour one and jst repeating chunks of it, but later.

Great racing yesterday.  Cancellara's gone down in my estimation though - he effectively cancelled the stage on monday on the grounds that the conditions and crashes were 'unexpected', but yesterday when it was his teammate getting the advantage it was business as usual.  It's a shame that Armstrong or Contador weren't with the lead bunch on monday when Cancellara called time on the stage, either one of them would have pulled rank to put time into the Schlecks and kept racing

I can't see Vino being on Alberto's Xmas list any more, either image 

• Options
    BB ✭✭✭

I think in fact Vino thought he was burying himself for Contador in the last metres but didn't realise with all the noise that C had lost touch - oops!

Shame Armstrong got a puncture - he was well in front of Contador's group and only about 15s off the front group when he had to wait up and Contador passed by - that's the way it goes on the cobbles though I guess..

The BBC only really report the Brits and Armstrong and they don't seem to understand that some people e.g. Cav go to try to win stages not the GC so it is irrelevant that he is in 100+ place

• Options

cyclingnews.com has some good live online coverage most of the time - often our mate Dan Benson, form rw employee, does the online coverage.  another good site is cyclingfans.com - they'll have links to all the video (legal and rebroadcasted) and audio online.

i hope cav gets a win today.

• Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭

It was quite amusing to see Contador disappearing off the back while Vino was nailing it at the front image

I'm using both the BBC and letour's commentary but so far neither of them has been up to much.  Neither of them really covered the interesting splits in the peloton over the last two stages.  It was almost a different race when I watched the highlights in the evening.

And to throw a possibly controversial opinion in... I already think Cav doesn't deserve to win the green jersey.  Hushovd is proving himself to be a much better rider than Cav.  He may not have Cav's final burst of speed but he's far better at getting himself into a position to take points.  Cav's a one trick pony and I think it's not a good enough trick to win.

• Options
    he's better at not crashing that's for sure.
  • Options
    It depends on what you think the green jersey's for.  It's sometimes referred to as the sprinter's jersey, but it's rarely won by the best sprinter in the race.  In the old days when the points were the same for every stage it often went to an all-rounder rather than a sprinter - Merckx & Hinault both won green & yellow in the same year.  Even now that pancake stages get more points than hilly ones, someone like Hushovd who picks up points on lumpy stages like Monday's (or would have done) or difficult ones like yesterday's will generally end up winning as the most consistent rider.
  • Options

Mister W - I agree with you re Cav this year - if Hushovd had been allowed to sprint yesterday the green jersey competition would already be sewn up. Cav will have to really mop up the intermediate sprints if he's going to make a challenge for Green.

I loved it yesterday - compelling viewing. Not sure what I feel about the luck element (felt sorry for Chavvenel and Armstrong getting ill-timed punctures), but it was great to watch. Thomas was sensational and a possible podium contender in future years as he's supposed to be a useful climber (and he's a damn good IP rider as well - clocked a 4.15 last year I think). Wiggins did well yesterday, infact Team Sky seem to be a pretty useful bunch at the moment, not sure how they're doing in the team competition. Evans did better than I thought he would, as did Cav (albeit he finished well out of the points).

To be fair to Vino I don't think he realised Contador had fallen off the back (although I think Contador would have taken his result before the stage started).

Contador only 1 minute back - can't see anyone beating him, certainly now Andy doesn't have brother Frank to help (felt really sorry for Frank yesterday - out of the race after only 4 stages).

• Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

Looks like Cav has already given up hope of the green jersey - rolling across the line yesterday and letting two or three others pedal past him cost him points.  Showed he has quite good form to be that far up the field though - especially as I think he had a mechanical not that far from one of the later sections of pave.   

Armstrong was unlucky wasn't he  - not just with the puncture but the way he was isolated afterwards - for a strong team he might have expected one or two others to be up there to help Popovych.   

Anyone else seen Jens moaning about the stage and how the organisers are responsible for Frank Schleck's broken whatever it is - nothing to do with him being the worst bike handler in the peloton then Jens.   If they'd wanted they could have sent them through the Arenberg trench - apparently they bypassed it - that really would have given them something to whine about.   

• Options
    Couple of mountain top finishes on saturday and sunday.  Might not be super tough stages but surely someone will attack.
  • Options
    fat buddha wrote (see)

here's Stephen Roche's comments on yesterday "It's been difficult coming to terms with it because I think it's totally disrespectful to the race organisers, and to the public, to do such a thing. It was a fabulous stage today that would have reshaped the overall GC and they kind of nullified the stage because of one or two riders basically deciding it was too dangerous. It's ridiculous. I don't know what rule book they were reading, but it wasn't the rule book I read from."

I can't believe that.

Not even mentioning 1987?

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    it's effing marvellous

you go all day trying to avoid all news of what happens in today's stage as you'd like to enjoy the highlights and then go on the BBC website to check the weather and smack bang in the middle of the Sports tab on the homepage is today's result

thanks BBC for that

grrrrr......

• Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    WTF!  Does Cav not want the green jersey?