Options

RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Options

Centre line? Oh man I'm going to end up face down aren't I? image

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if Sunderland is on my list but if you guys are going then it would be rude not to! Carrot - get spikes. Essential and make you go faster. Those black and pink ones I got are ace and so comfy.

Carrot - looks like I'm heading for the parkrun in Newcastle on Saturday to meet up with Sarah. Fancy it too?

Barry - the baking phase will pass!
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Spoons - would ankle supports help?
  • Options
    Carrot- it's just a list from my club of the ones we compete in. I do enjoy them in a strange kind of way but mostly when I'm done! image My advice would be give the spikes a test run a few times before the race to get used to them. They can be very hard on your calves.
  • Options
    Looks like I should've got the black and pink ones!image
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Sorry - I can't remember what make they are!

Brol - would you have a bus or something coming up?
  • Options

Minni any other Saturday and I would but it's early kick off at the SoL so we're going to run Durham, shower there, and head over to Sunderland from there.  (Actually, I'm a bit scared that I'd just be another blonde ponytail to chase down in the last 400m)

The spikes do come in a rather fetching range of designs don't they?  Why bother, don't they just end up caked in mud?

Bro - planning a few practice laps of the local park, it's only small but lots of grass and a few hills!

Hope the physio helps Spoons, sounds like a good session with the up then down. 

• Options

Hi All....apologies i just vanished on here and sorry it's been so long, I used to be a regular on here about a year ago and had just finished the North Run in 1hr 38 and was ready to use that as a real springboard towards the 3:30 mara......well to cut a long story short I've had a shockingly bad year personally with numerous family issues and redundancy and simply lost any desire to run...it's now a full year without running and sorry to say even back smoking again which im embarrassed to admit.

i just thought posting this will help drag my sorry self out tomorrow for my first run of the year...it's going to be like starting all over again but i'm determined to get the bug back. anyway hopefully i'll be around for a while as i'm going to turn this ship around , i know its going to be hard but i need to do this for my own sanity...

if you dont mind id like to stick in this thread to keep me motivated ( i need long term goals to keep me going ) although it may be some time before i'm anywhere near the 3:30 mark again.. take care all Glyn

• Options

O4S, great racing and the wins are so frequent it'd be more of a surprise if you didn't bring back some bling. image.

Well done to Freemers and Sarah for getting our and racing and Chick, Freemers and Spoons for getting the intervals in at this time of year. Spoons, hope the physio can sort your calves and ankles. You'll get back to where you were fitness wise with a bit of time.

Weeble, hope everything's okay and you've decided not to do Brighton just because of lack of time to build up rather than any new problems?

I usually run quite a bit over Christmas as my parents live near the coast. After my knees have been quite a lot better walking I tried a short run today of just over 2 miles very slowly. I think there's an improvement over before, but by the end my knees were quite sore again imageimage. My new year's resolution is to get myself to a physio and get them sorted out. I'd also rather spend some time and get them properly fixed rather than have a quick fix but then keep having problems on and off as I've had for the last 7 years.

• Options
    Very cute dog freemers, although I do agree, he is bigger than I imagined. Well done with the interval training aswell, hope you enjoyed that well earned mince pie!

SCB, you have put me to shame...I haven't been to work or managed a run....but I have started reading P&d!

Spoons, hope your shins recover soon.

Fabulous run O4S, sounds like you had a fantastic race in not very ideal weather conditions. I remember going to stonehenge and salisbury earlier this year......found it difficult to walk against the wind, let alone run against it!

Thankyou Barry. Marathon training starts on Monday with long runs later in the week. I decided to have a quiet week this week with Xmas and lots of travelling. Thought it might help refresh my legs before the 16 week marathon training commences.....but I'm already getting itchy feet to do a long run!

Hi carrot...congratulations on signing up for the XC, I was thinking about it but I'm going to be concentrating on the longer runs that weekend now. Which marathon are you doing now, is it London aswell? I lost my trainer on the last XC I did.....mum advised me to tie a shoelace around my shoes next time to help keep them on! I'm worried about being that blonde ponytail now on Saturday...are you sure you can't come for support!

Hi Glyn good luck with your run tomorrow, do let us know how you get on.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your knees Becs, hope the physio is able to fix them for you
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Hi Glyn and welcome back.  As you can see we haven't gone far!  Sorry to hear life has been a bit shit image but if you want to get motivated back into running then you've come to the right place.  Stay with us. image

• Options

Barry:  just hang in there, domesticity is a passing phase that we all have to go through to reach the other side.. Passing through my domesticity phase was the fastest rep I have ever done - so fast BA reckons he missed it image

• Options

thanks minnie....im planning on giving myself 3months to just ease my body back into it again and not focus at all on times then maybe take a view at that point where i'm at. good to be back !

• Options

Welcome back Glyn, hope you get your mojo back. There are a few of us on the comeback trail so hopefully the thread will bring the right blend of inspiration and realistic comparison.

Becs yes it's lack of build-up rather than anything new. Christmas has thrown a bit of a spanner in the works but more problematically continued niggles have meant I haven't been able to build up the mileage to where it should be. I was reading some of the (many) super six and forum six threads and realised that if I posted my training for the past few months on my own thread I would be rightly torn apart for thinking a marathon was a good idea this spring. Autumn however...image

Spoons hope the Fizz sorts out your shins. Does it feel like the same problem you were having before?

Carrot it sounds like you're doing the same event Shaggy did last year on Hampstead Heath. That was the national championships and I'm fairly sure it moves venue each year.

• Options
    kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭
    Great day out on the bikes in the Trossachs today - and amazingly everyone who said they'd come with me at closing time in the pub last night actually turned up!

AA - come on, time to get those cleats on!

Glyn - sorry to hear its been a tough year, glad to see you back. I had a 5 month break earlier this year and am on the comeback. I initially came back too quick and cos my core had gone to mush I got injured. I've since changed tack and have been really gradually building back up over the last month from 1M runs - I'm now at 40mins. I'm aiming for VLM, but keeping mileage low and just 3 runs a week plus lots of core and cross training. What's your plan to get back into it?

Weeble - sounds sensible to keep things shorter if you can't up the mileage without niggles, I'm not too sure yet how I'll cope when my runs start getting longer, hoping it will all hold together...

Sarah - I've been living with my mum in central scotland for the last 3 months, but move out tomorrow and back to being in east london during the week and sussex at weekends. Its all a bit complicated! Aim for this year is to get me and OH living in just one place...
  • Options

Morning

Too much talk of spikes and taking the centre line, will have a look at this strange XC scene next winter.

Glyn: Hope you find your mojo

Personally chasing down blond pony tails is not something I'm into, blond ponytails are too be admired, its the scrawny bald guys I chase! 

Minni: Thursday the 3rd 2000 for 2030, your more than welcome, I will tell my doorman to put you on the list as I wouldn't want you thrown out with the hoi polloi. image

Back from 57 miles on the bike in a sandstorm, sand in every orifice now. Panto this afternoon image

• Options

Glyn - Hi, sounds like the first new years resolution, good luck with the comeback. I went through a bad patch 3 years ago and to be honest it was good to get out running, stress relieving and lots of thinking time.

DD -  Agree about the blonde ponytails, one of the downfalls of getting quicker -  less to admire.image

Weeble -  Abingdon usually opens for entries 1 Feb.

Spoons - Hope the calf/shin is not too serious, I've had probs with my right shin on and off for a year, physio could n't find a lot wrong with it but since I started using KT tape problem has gone.

• Options

In my book though blond pony tail usually equals a much younger, thinner, faster runner of the female variety (that includes you carrot!) and I just can't resist showing them that us oldies aren't too shabby image

Glyn - welcome back to the madhouse. Sorry you've had a tough time, hopefully the future looks brighter.

Weeble - right decision not to try a spring marathon. This way you can plan sensibly for autumn and build it up at the right pace. You'll get there I'm sure image

My new year's resolution is to cut back seriously on the wine.  I wonder how long that will last image

My schedule says 5 miles easy today. Nice....

• Options

thanks for all the messages....my plan is to just get back to a regular routine so maybe 3 runs per wk...starting off with a 3 or 4miler today and aiming to do something a little longer each wkend as a lsr . I will simply add an extra mile to my LSR each wk over the 3 mths to get that distance up steadily, No time targets i just want to get 3 months mileage and then start some real  training !!

KFC - Yes you are right about not over doing it, this is often my down fall after an extended break so i will just stick to 3 runs until my body is coping with ease.. You also mention a real critical factor in core training , so i will definately be adding a daily stretch / strengthening routine in my training to ensure that i keep any injuries at bay.....My 1 and only run this year ( a gentle 3 mile jog ) resulted in me turning my ankle over and ended up hobbling all the way home , it was not right for 3 mths.in fact im not certain it will be ok today with running on it ?

will post after i'm back....have a good day

• Options

Chick - Intervals on Christmas day, Respect.

Spoons - You are hard or mad to swim in the sea a this time of year. Hope the shin splints settle, have you increased your mileage recently?

O4S - Great races and races report.

Sarah - Good run 4th, could you have got 3rd with out the wine the night before?

KFC - The recovery train seems to be picking up speed.

Glyn - welcome.

I managed 7.5miles in just over an hour on boxing day which felt great. It was the longest and hardest run for months. I did have bit of a pull round my scare and various parts of my legs complained at different pints but no ill effects. 45mins on turbo yesterday evening and 50min in the pool this morning.

• Options

Scuba - er no, my mileage has halved recently image

Glyn - welcome back - sorry to hear life's been shit. My life has also been really tough over the last year or so and my running has suffered bit time although I have managed to keep some running going. It's often been this thread that keeps any motivation up so stick around.

• Options

Sarah - I've been living with my mum in central scotland for the last 3 months, but move out tomorrow and back to being in east london during the week and sussex at weekends. Its all a bit complicated! Aim for this year is to get me and OH living in just one place...

kfc, You sound worse than me for moving about.....although there are only 150 miles between the areas I tend to live between, so not even on the same par as you. You have my sympathy as I know all that commuting and moving can be tough. Hope you get to settle down somewhere soon.

Sarah - Good run 4th, could you have got 3rd with out the wine the night before?

ST I had the 3rd lady in sight all the way round and think that I probably could have had her if I hadnt drank the wine the night before...but then again she could have been in the same boat! Im going to see if the results are up and see how far behind her I actually was. Thinking back to the race, I also ran round with someone which may not have helped. A friend from the RC decided to run with me to see if he could get me a better time and a place...I think for that reason I set off far to quick. I much prefer the runs were you set of steady and pick up the pace, whereas on boxing day as set of too quickly and tried to hold on all the way round!

• Options

commiserations, Glyn. Here's to a much better 2013 for you image

O4S: another good race banked plus some bling into the bargain image

11 frosty but beautiful miles this morning. For once the wind had died down, it was a full moon and the stars were out. Nice. 8:30ish pace all the way round, relaxed and easy. One of them runs that shows why we all love it so much. Now back in work and swamped image

• Options

O4S- more well earnt bling, there is no stopping you image

Sarah - 4th lady after being on the vino the night before is impressive.

Spoons - hope your shins get sorted soon. Do you wear compression socks? I used to have nasty shin splints in my netball plalying days, which occasionally flared up in marathon training, but have found compression socks help.

Webble - sounds like you've listened to your body and made the right decision. You can gently build the miles back up without panicing about an impending race.

Glyn - welcome and hopefully 2013 will be a much better year for you!

Chick - a beautiful morning for your run.

Scuba - good to hear that your longest and hardest run in months was great, long may your recovery continue!

I have spent the last 5 days on day/night nurse and alcohol free, big snore! Finally felt well enough yesterday to venture to the gym for a spin session, which was fab. Bought o.h a new pair of trainers for Christmas so am planning to take him out jogging this afternoon image

• Options
    Glyn - Welcome back, you could always look at Jantastic for a bit of extra motivation.

O4S - Some more bling for the trophy cabinet, excellent.

For all you bikers, er sorry x-trainers out there, I saw this interesting article, for what you can do with your old bikes....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2253295/Forget-antlers---old-bike-wall-Trend-Bicycle-Taxidermy-steps-gear.html

Minni - Went for a 8 miler last night, all ok upto 6m @ 8.25 pace. Then got a pain in right heal and had to limp home. The bad news is it's the other foot from this year, and as I was running forefoot style, it shouldn't be PF, but its very painful.

I'm a bit chessed off as my 16wk sched starts next week, and I can hardly walk on it. But more importantly is letting Team Minnie down in Jantastic.

This year I had hoped to start my training earlier and better than ever, but after the bollard conspiracy theory and now this, I think my cards been marked.

I'm going to take up Tiddlywinks!
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Oh no Simon. image  It might be ok in a day or so? 

I had a niggling calf and a sore foot earlier in the week but I think it was down to walking 2 miles in high heels the week before - everything has settled now.

Spinning for me this morning.  I've done this a few times with the tri club and its pretty hardcore but this was something else.  Got the bike set up etc and we started warming up.  The instructor was scary to say the least. image Microphone on and everything.  So we're just getting the speed up when all of a sudden the music started blasting (hence the microphone), the lights went out and disco lights started flashing.  It was like being on the waltzers at the fair - there was no going back.  45 minutes of sweaty agony. image

Day 2 of no alcohol.  image

• Options

Hope it's nothing serious Simon image 

Minni - flashing disco lights? Sounds like a nightmare....

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

The last bit was to the Toy Dolls, Nelly the Elephant!!

• Options
    kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭
    Glyn - sounds very similar to what I'm doing

ST - nice run, your recovery train is running a little faster than mine!

Took my blonde ponytail out for another nice 40min run today, managed to avoid being hunted down - phew!