Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

I am excited for you two! Wish I was racing too, but given my ill health recently probably just as well I didn't enter. Looks like the weather is going to hold up for you as well. 

GG - to get the wetsuit off your ankles, stand on it and pull legs out! I am pretty rubbish as well though

Have a great time and good luck

• Options

7.30ish it is image Do I just stand around yelling Pirate! Where are you Pirate? Pirate Pirate Pirate? 

• Options

Don't do what I did - ask people if they have seen any pirates anywhere - you tend to get a few strange looks. Especially when you say the pirate you are looking for is called Evil Pixie image

Actually, do exactly what you just said - it will definitley work! hehe

• Options

Oh I hope you have a great day image Buttercup, in case you haven't heard it before, take a plastic bag with you (free ones from supermarket). Put it over you foot before putting the suit on and it will make it easier. I also know a pirate who always wears thing white cotton gloves to put the wetsuit on so he doesn't make tears with his finger nails.

Razor - you really are training well and your bike ride this week was amazing image Yes, I have bought a couple of Tesco ones with a wire but they stop working. So I've just ordered a wireless one from ebay so will see how that goes.

Cat - good to hear you had a good session... being injured is such a downer image

Was race director at Parkrun this morning, but one of my youth group came round at lunch time to watch my girls so I could do a run. Haven't slept properly for 2 weeks (only 3 hrs last night) so am a bit stumped as to how I managed another 48mins 5 miles of hills for the second time this week and at the end of a 6 days of training! (For those of you spluttering into your coffee, yes I know I am really slow so that is a good time for me on hills!)

• Options
    mathschick wrote (see)

morning all

Hannah, you will have to go to bed earlier to be up and out at 4!!

feeling loads better so off to parkrun again this morning. Haven't run since last saturday so I might be slower, oh well!

Mathschick...I am 6 hours behind you guysimage In Bogotá. I check on here after work and you are all in bed!!!

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

chili - well done, and that is faster than me. You need to get some sleep though!

this is the video of how to put your wetsuit on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXsblGWpvM0

now I need to make a decision as to whether or not I do dambuster next saturday, the time cutoffs are a bit short (only an hour for a 10k runimage) 50 mins for the swim (should be albe to make that 1.5k swim) and 1:50 for the bike (26 miles I think). Trouble is, I have hardly done anything for the last 3 weeks with the taper, and then being ill. I am tempted to just wait and see how the week goes and decide on Friday night. But I can't run 10k in an hour at the moment - not even sure I can manage to run a whole 10k at the moment. And I have just found out that Hazel O'Connor is playing nearby on Friday night, one of my faves from my teenage years! So, do I get a ticket for that and forget about dambuster and work on fitness and specially building up my running for wild boar which will be a much nicer set up  and more supportive race with no cutoffs to worry about and have a Friday night out feeling 30 years younger again??

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

ah, Hannah I didn't realise you were somewhere else! I can recommend training at 4 in the morning though....it is something I do

• Options

Evening all. A nice 20 km on the bike today, mostly easy effort. Will find a huge hill tomorrow.

Good run Chili. Buttercup I normally use Boots' cheapest lubricant (KY-a-like) image always fun to ask for that in a loud voice. I hear the Brownlees use vast amounts of baby oil down the legs before putting the arms in.

Early start Hannah!

You;ll be great tomorrow GravityGuy, Smash it image

• Options

Good luck tomorrow guys, I know you're gonna rock it! 

Chili - I am disgustingly slower than you and that's on the Think you're pace is grand.

Welcome Hannah! Nice pootle out Mr Cat, hope things healing well.

Maths - if you don't feel ready then accept that. Build for the Boar. You have been sick you know! plus, who can pass up feeling 30 years younger?

1hr 10min run done (6.5miles). Go Ape tomorrow! 

• Options

Oo new favourite running tune - She Wolf by David Guetta

• Options

Will it improve the running more than watching old videos of Zola Budd and Brendan Foster.  I think not. www.d2ride.co.uk

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Maths, skip dambuster, build up for the Boar. Enjoy reliving your youth.

Mrs Digger did I see that you were going Go Ape, give us your review, I fancy doing that one day.

Chilli, you're way faster than me still, so none of this "I am slow" comments please.

Glad to hear you had a good short cycle Cat.

Hannah, would I be correct in thinking that it gets very hot and sticky in Bogota, hence the early starts for exercise. It will be easy to remember your time difference, it is the nearly the same as my brother in Canada (5hrs), so I call him late in the evening just before bed, but it is his just got home from work time, or I cheat and wait until the weekend so more likely to catch him at home.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

right, thanks for the advice everyone, I knew in my heart that I wanted to skip dambuster, but wanted someone else to say it would be ok, if you know what I mean. I always feel like I need to go just because I have paid.

I am really enjoying the park runs right now, so next sat instead of dambuster I will parkrun and swim, just like yesterdayimage, and I so want to build the running back up now that my knee is starting to feel almost back to normal

last Oct I got down to about 63 mins for a 10k (and it was trail not road) but that was right before my knee injury! 

right, building to wild boar it is, thenimage suppose I should have cycled outside today but did sufferfefst's fight club on the turbo, I find the sufferfest a bit adictive and really enjoy it. If we get chance this afternoon I am going to get the kids out on the mountain bikes so we can check they are ok before next week's Great Notts ride

I have started thinking about next year already - definitely Outlaw Half and I am going to work really hard all winter to make sure I am in great shape for it and hopefully not chasing cutoffs, then I am thinking that I do prefer low-key events so probably the full boar events and maybe the beaver. Going to have another go at training for a spring marathon too - thinking Llanelli and combining with an Easter holiday in Wales. And dare I say it - full Outlaw? That is a goal but not sure if next year or the year after will be best. WIll have to see how a few things work out at work which might limit my time

Anyway, enough babbling, hope you guys racing have a great time

• Options

Just got back from the Bosworth Triathlon (Little Piglet) and I did it in 1 hour 32 minutes and came 27th out of (I believe) 53. I was fairly certain I was going to come last or at least very near the back but for some reason I still feel quite disappointed with the time. All I can think is that when I did the Hathersage Hilly 4 years ago I did it in 1 hour 41 minutes. I think because it was really hilly I was expecting a much faster time for this one (even though I still thought it would put me at the back somewhere). The exact times aren't posted yet but I have an idea of my times from the finish computer.

Swim

Got in the water and felt ok. Placed myself nearish the back and then had to wait 10 minutes for the start (I did a little bit of a warm up but not much). The race started and straight away I didn't feel right, I was just struggling to get my breathe. It took me about 3/4 of the swim to actually get composed and get into some kind of rythym. Bit late by then and most of the others must have been well clear. Total time - 19 (ish) minutes. 

Transition 1

As soon as I was out of the water I felt a little dizzy but nothing too bad. Took me a while to get sorted but I wasn't really rushing too much. Not sure on the time of T1 but I was happy enough with it, especially as my wetsuit came stratight off.

Bike

My legs already felt a little tired when I got on the bike but I think that's just because they were cold. Out of all the bikes there, mine was definitely one of the worst so I was expecting to not do too well on this section. I have a 7-8 year old Carrera Virtuoso from Halfords that has definitely seen better days. Anyway, i headed out and after turning onto the main road I saw a groupd of about 3-4 people in front and I noticed that I was gaining on them. Got past all of those, one of which was on a tri bike, and carried on. I had a couple of people go past me and then I went past another so made a net couple of places I think. Tri bike never caught me which I was happy about image - 3/4 in and my legs were feeling quite tired but just carried on, knowing that the run was going to be hard because I was pushing it on the bike (or in my view anyway! lol). Got back to Bosy and dismounted at the correct area. Total time = 42 (ish) minutes.

Transition 2

Again, I didn't rush but feel I got out quite quickly (didn't have my elstic laces though so could have been quicker there).

...........Continued.....

• Options

Run

As soon as I started running I knew it was going to be hard as my quads were hurting. I got past about 3 people on the first lap even though I was hurting a little. The 2nd lap I started to get the feeling back and I quickened my pace and then started to get past quite a few people. I saw another bloke in front about 2/3 the way around the 2nd lap and thought he might be a little too far to catch but noticed I was gaining. About 300 metres from the finish I knew if I pushed hard I could get past. I really let rip and ran like my life depended on it and got past him, then sprinted as fast as my legs would carry me to the end image Total run time = 31 (ish) minutes. I was a little disappointed with this time as my normal zone 2 is quicker than that but as my legs were hurting from the ride I suppose it was ok.

I should be happy with what I acheived so i don't know why I'm not. Is this a normal feeling? Like I said, I was expecting to come last so I should be happy.

Maybe a hot shower and a good meal will help image

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Well done GravityGuy and excellent report! You did really well, you should be proud!

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

GG - well done, great race and great report. You should feel proud of finishing and not upset about times!

• Options

Well done GG! image Sounds a great time to me.

MC - hope you do feel happier now you've made the decision. And your list for next year sounds ambitious image

Non-training day for me.

• Options
    mikasa wrote (see)

Well done GravityGuy and excellent report! You did really well, you should be proud!

mikasa wrote (see)

mathschick wrote (see)

GG - well done, great race and great report. You should feel proud of finishing and not upset about times!

Thanks image - had a nice long shower and just been to Toby Carvery and I have to say, I am feeling much better. Must have just been starving. 

I definitely won't be taking pro plus next time as I think it made me 'skitty' during the swim. LOL

Buttercup - hope you did well, let us know as I didn't see you there.

Pixie - how did you get on also, did you stick to your ironman speed like you said you might or did you end up being quicker?

I have to say, the organisation of the event was fantastic. Marshalls and volunteers were all great cheering us on and got some encouragement from the tannoy man on my 2nd. he said my aim was to catch the person that was about 250yds away - do I did! hehe image

City of Birmingham Olympic Tri next in just over a month! image

• Options

Oh, I forgot to say I also met little miss happy and partner and had a little chat with them before the race commenced. It was lovely to meet you both, hope you both did well image

• Options

Hi GG,

It was great to meet you before the race, and I'm glad you had a good one.  Good luck with the Oly next month.

LMH won!  And I managed not to get beat by LMH image.  Plus I managed not to have to be coaxed back into the swim by the rescue canoe like I was last year.

It was also really nice to have a chat with Buttercup afterwards, while LMH was catching her breath.

• Options

Well done Mark and LMH. What time did you both do it in? 

• Options

Me 

Swim 37:09

T1 02:29

Cycle 01:23:26

T2 00:46

Run 47:30

Overall 02:51:23

LMH

Swim 36:17

T1 1:58

Cycle 1:25:53

T2 00:48

Run 48:23

Overall 2:53:22

So she was breathing down my neck on the run.

Don't beat yourself up about the times.  It was definitely breezy out there, which I think would have made a difference, I know everytime we hit a drag we seemed to have a headwind.  Plus, 9 minutes improvement on a slightly longer than sprint distance tri is a huge improvement, that's around nearly 10%.

• Options

Lovely to meet Buttercup and Gravity Guy - sorry if I wasn't the most chatty before (pre-race nerves are quite bad) or afterwards (have to manage the asthma) - I do try, honest image

GG - you did good! Apart from the run we were about the same speed all the way, my bike time was slightly down on the HIM I did here two years ago but it was definitely windier today. Why on earth did you take pro plus?!? Did you fuel on the bike at all?

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Well done all the racing snakes. GG the dizziness on exiting the swim may be down to not kicking with the legs enough the last hundred yards.

I went out with the running club and did 5 miles in just over 1 hour 10 mins, so not quick but amazed at my ability. The sore toe complained just after 4 miles and then the hip started hurting, so as soon as I got to 5 miles I walked the last little bit back to the car.

• Options

it was an early start so thought it would help. Just made me jittery though! I only had isotonic drink on the bike as I didn't think the short distance warranted gels. I think it may have helped though as i was really feeling it towards the end of the ride,hey ho, live and learn. I don't think I could have kept that pace up for an oly, maybe in a few months though image

I'm glad it's not only me that gets per race nerves!

• Options
    SteadyCJ wrote (see)

Well done all the racing snakes. GG the dizziness on exiting the swim may be down to not kicking with the legs enough the last hundred yards.

I went out with the running club and did 5 miles in just over 1 hour 10 mins, so not quick but amazed at my ability. The sore toe complained just after 4 miles and then the hip started hurting, so as soon as I got to 5 miles I walked the last little bit back to the car.

Never thought about kicking my legs, that would make sense. I think I just needed to calm down a bit on the swim too. Maybe that will come with race practice though

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

never knew about kicking legs before the end of the swim

well done everyone, wow, LMH well done on your winimage

steady - well done on the run, glad your toe is healing