Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options

Fired out downward spiral this morning before work. A lot of sweat involved. 

Top running Steady, keep plugging on!

hellloooo Cake! image

• Options

Thanks MrsD, company would be good next time, yesterday I was driving back from Exeter for work yesterday so timing was traffic dependent. I couldn't believe how busy the lake was, mind you, I do live in a small village with 2 tractor shops so I get intimidated by roads with more than one lane.

Think I was happy not knowing about the fish, do carp bite?

• Options

Well done Emsi! image Lol! no the fish won't bite you but carp can grow quite big.

Today I was supposed to be doing a long bike ride with a friend but she has backed out (again!). Will go out for a few miles this afternoon.

• Options

Well 78 miles on the bike with Horse yesterday, 5hrs 10 mins and it rained all the way there and back and to top it all Horse decided to come back a different way, he must have found every hill in Lancashire, finished up coming over Belmont ( Bolton IM course) but legs feel great this morning image

• Options

image Buttercup where about's in the uk are you roughly and how tall are you? If it does go t**'s up with the parcel one of use might be able to or know someone who might be able to help?

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Well done on the swim Emsi. I live so close to that place (really need to sort out the fc and I'd love to come with you).

Steady - well done on your run!

Razor - Fab ride!

Plan is to go surfing tomorrow. Not sure I want to stuff myself into a wetsuit though, might scare everyone away...image

• Options

Thanks so much Cake - I'm in the East Midlands.  But I think I have it sorted tho' - jmj such a saga of incompetence and poor customer service image sigh nevermind apparently the wetsuit is at a neighbours place having been delivered to the wrong house on the wrong day.  And when I said i assume you will refund the saturday delivery fee the guy was like 'I s'pose that's okay if you want that' - grrr!

Nevermind it's over just wont ever be using them again fullstop, nor recommend them on the basis of the customer service not the kit.

Yay watch out Market Bosworth here I come!

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Buttercup, glad your wetsuit has finally arrived. Was it a well known online company that needs avoiding?

Talk about carp in water, I saw something on TV about some lads who were fishing in a lake, no carp found but an enormous catfish, 5 feet long and 8 stone in weight. I would not want to swim in that lake. It took 2 hours for them to reel it in, then they let it go after taking photos and measuring. Makes me worry about what is in my local lake, large Pike has been known and they do have teeth.

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Wow, that's one massive fish! Not sure I'd like to come across that one when swimming.

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Yeah, Mikasa that is what I thought when I saw it.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

buttercup glad the wetsuit is sorted, hope it fits you ok after all that hassle!

finally feeling back to normal so will be going to parkrun tomorrowimage

• Options

Ummm, guys and girls we are not supposed to be telling scary open water stories just before a race!!!!image (lol!)

Buttercup - really good to hear you have the suit and I hope it works out well.

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive but reliable bike computer? I only want speed and distance. I have a very cheap one but it's stopped working again *sigh*

• Options

I got a 310xt for my birthday it's very good like it a lot image

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

chili - I haven't got a separate bike computer, I use the same GPS watch that I use running, (ok, it is a garmin 910xt which is lovely, but before I had that I used my old garmin 301) and if all I am doing is biking I just strap it roound the handlebar so I can see if without having to mess about looking at my wrist!

• Options

Eww jealous MC I would like 910xt it's pretty image and I too wrap it aroundmy handle bars - however there is a specific holder thingee you can get for it on the bike which I don't have.

• Options

Get onto eBay Buttercup, will cost you a fiver! I love my 310. Glad the wetsuit thing worked out by the way. Now you can give it large, or smash it as Mr Cat would say! 

Oo, hope the park run goes well Maths. Nice to hear you're feeling better.

45 min swim after work today. No idea of how far lost count.

• Options

Let me know if you wanna meet up at any point Emsi.

top biking Razor, still my inspiration!

enjoy the surfing Mikasa. Sure you'll carry the wetsuit well! 

• Options

Chili - I have a friend like that. Most irritating to keep being let down.

• Options

Chilli, Tesco exta stores have bike computers for a tenner for a 9 function or 17 function with cadence for 15 quid.got one for my turbo bike  and had no problems with it.

Mrs D, Im  sure there are more inspirational peeps on here image

• Options

Some ride Razor! I had been moping about the house moaning about my lack of mojo and training. Then I decided to go out instead of moaning. Did hilly 25km on the bike at lunch, then 1750m in the pool tonight.

I saw the article about the catfish; guy said he was up to his neck in the water a few times. Someone here (sorry...can't remember whom image ) caught a carp OW swimming.

Enjoy the surfing Mikasa.

Glad the wettie is sorted Buttercup. Name and shame! I also have a 310, you'll need the quick release kit to get it to fit in to the bike mount.

• Options

ufff, sorry you got let downimage I've had my cycle partners bail the last three weekends in a row and just got sick of it and rode by myself...so today I joined a Tri club that cycles all the time so at least I know I will always have someone. Only prob, they head out at 4 am:-/ eeeep

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

morning all

Hannah, you will have to go to bed earlier to be up and out at 4!!

feeling loads better so off to parkrun again this morning. Haven't run since last saturday so I might be slower, oh well!

• Options

Ironcat it was this company - ironically wiggle let us know that they had shipped my new orca wetsuit on Friday image but it is going to husbands work so wouldn't've got here in time, but it's good to know going forward I'm covered.

That catfish was ginormous! And he let it go!! Back to terrify OW swimmers at large image

• Options

Just tried on the wetsuit what a phaff image got it on and done up tho' I will save you from the pix I look a bit B&D just not shiney image D

oes having lubricant make it go on easier and if I cant find bodyglide in boots today what's a suitable alternative that's not vaseline - would bio oil be ok?

• Options

Someone mentioned KY when I was at Boswirth last week! lol Think it was either tired badger or evil pixie! lmao image

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

buttercup - I think some folk at my tri club use baby oil gel

putting talc down the arms and legs is supposed to help too. I did find a video on youtube once where Paul Newsome the swimsmooth guy was giving advice on putting a wetsuit on

• Options

When I tried my wetsuit for the first time last week I found getting it off was far more difficult than getting it on after swimming at bosy. Arms and body were fine but it took an age to get it off from around my ankles and lower legs. Hope it is a bit easier tomorrow during the race.

• Options

Well, I have just finished all of my work related activites and all I have to think abiut now is the race tomorrow. I was quite nervous up until now but that I am purely focused on the race I am pretty excited! image

Just need to get my things sorted now ready for the morning. Buttercup, what time are you getting there for in the morning? Was thinking we could maybe meet up and give each other some moral support image

• Options

Probably around 7.45 given how long it took me to get into the wetsuit this morning image more time is better than less image where were you thinking of as a meeting up place? 

• Options

Benches near the main building? It's where everyone meets for the swimming sessions. 

I'll probably be there about 7:30ish as I like to be nice and early. Like you say, plenty of time is better than not enough. image