Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

evening! razor you will be fab, just don't go having an accident before the big day. I will be there to hurl abuse and water bottles at you at the feedstation, I am really looking forward to it

starting to feel a bit better, but think it might be wise to have tomorrow off training too to give myself a decent chance of recovering fully before I get back to it. Looking forward to having a good run on Thursday morning

• Options

Glad to hear you're feeling better Maths, take it steady though.

good swimming Steady. Oo new wetsuit Buttercup, bet you can't wait! 

Great swim over at South Cerney tonight. Thanks to Schmunks for getting us in. She is soooo smashing. Had a top time. Managed 1500m - most chuffed. I love this OW swimming malarkey. Oh and thanks Razor, physio went well. 

• Options

Rode the bike tonight. I'd lent out my road bike so went out on the TT for a bimble. Forgot how hard it is to ride the TT 'easy'. Just wants to keep speeding up image.

The 3 x 15 reps of eccentric heel drops for the achilles. Did 3 x 15 this morning too. Finally a beasting on the foam roller for my calfs.

Can't get in to OW swimming at the moment. Waiting for more sun.

Hoping to TT Thursday.

• Options

Good afternoon! Am trying to work up the mojo to go out for a 2 1/2hr run. It's the wrong time of day for me (stange how we can get so used to routine!) and rather cold and windy.

• Options

image Chilli I can give you a kick up the bum if that helps?

*kick* image

After much mincing regarding the sow and not entering it I'm being strangely drawn to the southport tri website as it's still open. Not sure yet if practical as Sarah would have to drive and very unfare on her to assume she would be up for it but if she is Paddy would you mind some company?

Oh and mathschick if your about how hilly is the sportive in nottingham in a couple of weeks?

• Options

so, I went to the doctors today.  I have a hernia and he recommended surgery.  Pah!  I've only just got fit.  I knew something was wrong, but I was hoping that it was just a pulled muscle.  I've been reading some threads on the runners world section and it seems that its not a biggy but I'm feeling really grumpy about it.

does anyone know about such things?

• Options

pete I've had one before and they are a bit of a bugger. But there are lots of different places you can have one and types as well depending on where it is you might be out of action for a week or a couple of months. Also depending where it is you might be able to put off having the op for a few weeks/months if you have a race coming up. Depends when the NHS can fit you in and what your doctor say's.

Did they give you a posh name for the hernia?

• Options

interstitial hernia or something like that.  I've got health insurance at work so I'm hoping to go private.  It's top left of my groin.  I had my eye on a couple of races in 6 weeks but I'm willing to let them go if I can be fit in time for the biggy in my home town in September...a proper Olympic triathlon...

or maybe I should let it slide for this year and hope to get fit again over the winter...

• Options

I’m not a doctor so treat this as the ramblings of the internet but if you can get it sorted soon ish I can’t see any reason why you can’t do the olly. If it’s like the one I had and I’m a similar place was out of action for a couple of weeks and then took a month or two to get back into the swing of things. Chances are you won’t be as fast by sept as if you hadn’t had surgery but you might be sound and just have to take a afternoon off or something. Reasonable sure through it will feel like you have been punched in the groin by Muhammed Ali for a bit after through.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

pete - sorry to hear about your hernia, if you are going private you should get it seen to quickly which is a plus. No idea about recovery so I can't advise there.

cake - do you mean the great notts bike ride? I am doing the 25 mile option with the family - which will be amusing as OH never uses his bike and last time he complained about a sore bum. Slightly worried about the 9 year old on the roads, but I will make sure I behind him and keep a beedy eye on him

Not sure what the routes are like for the other distances - but I don't think they are too hilly

• Options

MC that'll be a nice day out for the family image biked home and it just tipped down - soaked me through!  Going for a run tomorrow and biking the long way to work and that will be enough until Sunday!!

Pete that sucks - speedy recovery mate!

• Options

Chili - did you run? Helloooo Cake! 

Sorry Pete. You can guarantee these things always seem to have pants timing. Can't imagine a good time though. 

Buttercup - hav you dried off? 

Pootled out for a 40min run. Really enjoyed it. Hopefully will stay dry for the bike tomorrow.

• Options

Pete,  unlucky.  Just take it easy for a bit once it's sorted out.  Ease yourself back into it.

Cake, more than happy for some company.  I'm only doing the sprint though, but it's more than enough for now.

Off to get some new clipless pedals tomorrow for my MTB.  Fast looking like a road bike these days with the new tyres etc.  All the gear and no idea - that's me.

• Options

Hi Pete, sorry to hear of your hernia. Get it fixed, rest up, recover well then wase back in to it. Then smash it out. image

Chili just pounds out the miles in the background. No fuss!

• Options

Pete - aww, sorry to hear your news image

MC - that sounds like a great family day out.

I did go for my run, but I somehow managed to mix up my timings (bit unusual for me, but I'm putting it down to extra work load and trying to fit everything in with hubby away) so I only managed 1 1/2hrs. Second week running that I haven't done the LSR I had planned. But I have a bit of extra time in my marathon plan so I should be okay.

• Options

First ever ow swim tonight, hope the forcast winds don't arrive! Bit stressed about it, but has to be doneimage

• Options

thanks everyone.  I was very pissed off yesterday.  I'm going to take this enforced time off as a chance to recover from all the other niggles I'm suffering from.

Reading about it on the net, I can still train up to the point of the operation as long as I don't over do it.  And it seems that they want the patient to get back to normal exercise as soon as possible afterwards so it might not be too bad.  I'm seeing the consultant on Monday night.  I'll see what he says.

(all together now)...and always look on the bright side of life - dee-do, dee-do-de-do-de-do always look on the bright side of life...lifes a piece of sh1t, when you look at it.... (continue ad nauseum)

• Options

Pete you will be fine mate. image

mathschick wrote (see)

cake - do you mean the great notts bike ride? I am doing the 25 mile option with the family - which will be amusing as OH never uses his bike and last time he complained about a sore bum. Slightly worried about the 9 year old on the roads, but I will make sure I behind him and keep a beedy eye on him

Not sure what the routes are like for the other distances - but I don't think they are too hilly

Yep Sarah is thinking about it and if she does it get's me out of the house and stuff.

Pete at the moment in negoiations with the boss about if it's wouth the pretrol hoping will know tonight if I can play.

Oh and Mrs D Ay up chuckles. image

• Options

Emsi - hope it goes well this evening. Do give it a few tries. Open Water swimming is often something that you have to get used to.

Just a pilates class today.

• Options
    pete_inthehills wrote (see)

And it seems that they want the patient to get back to normal exercise as soon as possible afterwards

No one here excercises normally image

• Options

Normals boring! imageimage

• Options

Good luck Pete, hope you get back to abnormal exercise soon.

Emsi-  I'm doing my 2nd OW swim tonight, I was nervous about my first last week and even 10 mins into it thought I'd panic and give up but I soon got into it and ended up really enjoying myself, 2 hours went too quick, I'm really looking forward to tonight's swim.

Had a poor start to the week, after a 10k run on Sunday I've done nothing, I've been so tired (lack of sleep) and a bit down about missing training but hopefully after tonights swim I'll be back at it

Just started chucking it down here, hope I don't get wet image

• Options

Well that was a bit of a stink way to end a day at work - I got an email from a delivery company saying that they were going to deliver a package to me tomorrow and I thought that's odd I asked for the wetsuit to be delivered on sat and paid for the extra to get it delivered on sat - checked their website they were not only delivering it on the wrong day but to the wrong address.  Grrr so I ring the wetsuit hire place (who I only used since wiggle wont get my new suit here in time for sunday) had to ring four times before I got through to any one - I explained the situation to be told Im going to have to hang up as they're collecting your parcel now - and I thought sweet they will just sort it out and all will be good.

Not so easy - I ring them back and get told that the company had already picked it up and I would have to ring them and get them to not only change the address but the day and pay a second time to get it changed to Sat (the helpful lady said they would refund the charge if I changed the day image) So after making it really clear I was really unhappy about this I hung up and rang the delivery company who said they wouldnt change the address or the day of delivery that I should ring the wetsuit place and get them to change the address and day.  So me panicking a bit rings the wetsuit place back only to have it go directly to voicemail since I assume they had gone home for the day.  FML I write a strongly worded email to the wetsuit place saying how unhappy I was and how much stress they have caused me etc etc and how I wanted them to send me another suit to be delivered on Saturday and I would attempt to retrieve their package.  I'm really hoping the neighbours are honest peeps or it might be gonesky.

If I can't get a wetsuit in time that means Sunday is off the cards through no fault of my own - am really p'o'd - I am hoping it turns up tomorrow and I wont have to miss it - will be gutted if I have to. 

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

oh buttercup what a nightmare!!

glad I didn't enter in the end as I have been ill all week, starting to feel better but not in shape for racing and I have hardly done anything in the last 3 weeksimage oh well, back to it over the weekend, will try a little run in the morning and see how it goes

not sure about dambuster now - it is in a week's time 

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

What a nightmare Buttercup! HOpe you get it sorted in time. 

• Options

awww no Buttercup image That's terrible. Wish I lived closer cos you could borrow mine for the day.

• Options

maths: glad to hear you are feeling better, I am sure you have lost less fitness than you expect

buttercup: what a fiasco, hope you get it sorted, sending you good vibes

thanks to everybody for the encouragement, I am feeling very proud I did complete my first open water swim, 1400m at the bristol open water lake. It was cold and windy and  I think I may be charged for the amount of water I drank, but actually I quite enjoyed myself. Will sleep well tonight.image

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

well done emsi - long swim for the first time in open water

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Buttercup, hope you get sorted.

Emsi, well done on first OW swim.

That reminds me, I need to get back OW again as I have had an email regarding the Thames swim, 2 and a half miles Hampton Court to Kingston. Its local to me and I know someone who did it a few years ago, they reckon you just float with the current then sprint the last bit to reach the side before going too far down river. Its after my holiday and I do not have anything planned for that weekend so far. mmm tempted.

I went for a little run, oh boy do I do slow well. 12.5 min miles, managed just under 2 miles. Still it proves that the Parkrun was not a total fluke and I have more fitness than I thought.

• Options

Aw Buttercup, hope it all works out. Makes you feel so helpless. 

Glad you're starting to feel better Maths, take it steady. 

Emsi - he will make you do 3 laps next time. Try to avoid the Carp. If you want company any time let me know.