Options

Fatman to Ironman

Comments

• Options

It is a bit droll isn't it!

• Options

Nearly safely through the fog of Man Flu.  Unusually for me, I've taken plenty of rest, slept lots and eaten really well.  90 min run today - a trawl through my training diary shows this to be the longest (in duration)I've run since the '08 Paris Marathon image

• Options

Recover well all you sickies!

Did my long bike today, 45km ~1:45. Tired now. Zzzzz.

• Options
    My long bike tomorrow 2.5hrs, long swim and weights today... I'm not really keen on taking the TT bike out in shitty weather, but it'd that or the singlespeed and with my gearing I won't be doing that!

I do hope there's no snow here and it stays try, I seem to finally have reached a size were I can wear my new pirate cycling jacket so at least that's something to look forward to!
  • Options
    get well all, I too hope we don't get any of the cold white stuff. Got my long bike in today 60miles, off to Disney tomorrow got my trainers with me so hoping to get a few runs in the evenings, back Thurs with a day off work, i'll be catching up with a long bike and a long swim on Friday, also hoping to maybe purchase a TT bike on the Friday. Hmmm new toys,
  • Options

Didn't quite get the sub 24 but did do a 24:09 for the 5K.  Not quite doggie speed but I'll take it.  I looked back at old race results and I did this race in 2005 in 31+ minutes.  So 8 years later (today I turned 45) and 7+ minutes faster.  I call that progress!

• Options
    Well done IY. Great time & many happy returns of the day. My 45th in 4 months time.

2hr 15min run & 1 hr swim today. However, sore throat and sniffly this morning so man flu could be looming.

Daughters racing in the regional cross country champs today, hence an early start. Always good to get back to work on a Monday for a rest after my weekends these days.
  • Options

well done IY and happy birthday

SD - good luck for your daughter

orienteering with the scouts today with the kids - reckon that must count as something!

• Options

Happy birthday IY and well done!  Long bike for me today, 3 hrs hopefully.

• Options

Happy birthday IY.

Long run for me today, but first...coffee

• Options
    "2hr 15min run & 1 hr swim today" - done, sofa beckons.

Arleya came 13th out of 50 at the cc. She gets a big well done from me for just doing it as she's had a horrible cough for the past week. She sent me a text, said she'd struggled breathing. Zero degrees probably didnt help that either.
  • Options

Well done Arleya, obviously has daddy's speedy genes!

1hr 25min run done.  I postponed the start by 15 mins while waiting for the snow shower to pass, and got to 40 mins when it returned with a vengeance - running uphill into a force 10 gale blowing wee, stingy pellets of snow was great fun.  I won't need to exfoliate tonight since the wind has scoured most of the skin off my face.  I put glasses on to keep the wind out of my eyes, but had to take them off because they got snowed up and I couldn't see where I was going.  All that said, I really enjoyed it.  It's quite satisfying to feel you've beaten the elements. And I finally seem to have found a (slow) pace I'm really happy running at.  's all good.

• Options
    H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭
    SausageDog wrote (see)
    "2hr 15min run & 1 hr swim today" - done, sofa beckons.

1 hr 30min run, 1 hr swim & 1 hr 10 min bike ride today, Ironing beckonsimage
    well done Arleya

• Options

Weekly update

http://clearseaz-timetogetfit.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/ironman-uk-training-week-9.html

well done on the training guys.

in fact, big well done to anyone who's been out and done stuff over this weekend. lets hope we will soon see the back of the white stuff.

• Options

Happy Birthday Yanky!!

I was pelted with rain and snow and hail today, it was not very nice out there!!   Those sharp sleety bits dont 'arf sting

• Options

Well done to all those hard nuts out in the snow today - I wimped out for 3 hours on the turbo, but finished with a 3k run - that was in the snow!

• Options

3 hours on the bike followed by 2 hours on the turbo whilst slowly removing all the layers   image

• Options

Nursey, it's great running in extreme conditions like that ... just think of home and a warm cuppa!

2:45 bike today, did about 42 miles, averaged 1 degree c.  My eyeballs froze, I think.  I said eyeballs.  First 20 minutes were hard and I considered a short cut home, but then got into it and really enjoyed it.  

And now, wine.

• Options

Apologies if you're on 'Ironman Journey' facebook page as I've just posted this there too, but I'd like to see what everyone's opinion is! 

Has anybody recently (or anytime actually) changed from a 'normal' running shoe, to a zero drop shoe? I got a pair recently as I was told they'd be great for my running style. However, I'm getting calf pains during and after my run, it feels like I've Just started out running again! I've done a bit of research and found out it's quite common. People who have them/have tried them, how long was it until this calf pain wore off? Is it worth swapping between my new shoes and my old shoes until this pain goes?

• Options

I had something similar when I started running. Within the first few weeks I'd become a midfoot striker. Pain went on for maybe a month or so. It's the body working muscles it isn't used to using. Take it easy and don't overdo it. Keep swapping between then wean yourself off the 'normal' shoes.

• Options

MA

Hope everyone is well and that your training is going great.

• Options

Here's my week 9 update...

Britrisky, 3 hours on turbo!  My kneecaps would explode out of sheer boredom!

• Options

Budgie I would advise a LOT of calf strengthening before changing styles and whilst changing styles and as with everything, nice and slowly.  I you are planning a long run then try and do an out and back in new shoes before carrying on in the old shoes so that you can hold a better form before getting tired. Aches and pains are to be expected but dont let them turn into strains or tears.

My legs were trashed after yesterdays bike efforts so today I did lots of kick drills in the pool and then spent a long time rolling them in the gym afterwards

Busy old day tomorrow with a Tri training camp .... hopefully not in the snow!

• Options

Been up since before 4am for work (330mile comute) ... time to call it a day ... and try and motivate myself into doing some training

• Options

Thats one hell of a commute Will !

• Options
    Evening all.

1 hour coached swim tonight. Another bunch of swim issues identified & the drills to rectify them added to my forever growing list of shite swimming techniques.
  • Options
    Good write up Tim. Have i mucked up my Fink plan then. I increased my swims to 3 a week in week 6??
  • Options

Andy, week 10 the build phase is where it starts, but a few extra swims are good image 

• Options

SD - any time spent swimming wil benefit you on the big day. You'll get out the water earlier and start taking on nutrition earlier. And you have longer to bike and run cut-offs, not that you'll need them.

I had a great swim last night. We've had a natural reshuffle of lanes, so my lane has a few more new people in it. Which makes it easier to 'drive' the lane and keep to the RIs, meaning more swimming in each session. Though it's one of those decisions - front of my lane or middle of next lane up?

• Options

I only managed to get 75min spin plus 15min core last nite ... so i need a good day today