Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

I use the same strap as Tricky, never had any problems with mine either....

I'm sure Mrs TD is charmed by your romantic notions....

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

OK, time to fess. Who has worn a HRM while 'getting down to business', all in the name of 'scientific research'. Hands up everyone, DV, you first, what with your proclivity for rubber and straps...

A few years ago I had to have a cardiology stress test and wear a HRM for 24 hours. I had stickers and tabs all over my chest and I had to complete a set of activities to raise my heart beat. One of them was treadmill running, running up stairs etc.. I'll leave the other one to your open mind but apparently you could tell from the readings what I was doing and when :/

• Options

Frankly, I wouldn't leave anything to the imagination of this forum...

• Options
    TD - the issue is not whether you have worn a HRM while getting down to business, but rather whether you then uploaded and analysed the data!
  • Options

...and compared the results to previous performances to determine if improvements have been made.

• Options
    So now I know why I received all those Connections requests on the Garmin site...
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

I'm not joining Garmin Connect, now....

• Options

Mr Maj is working away for 4 months....my output would resemble this ______________________________________________________

• Options

Does anyone believe in the V02 Max theory.

I've just put my recent half marathon time in. It says 'poor'.

So as a result I don't believe in it.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    I think if I were to compare performance whilst getting jiggy with it, then this may well be an area in which I am getting quicker.
  • Options
    Getting jiggy with it ! At my age ?
  • Options
    James B. VO2Max is a measure, not a theory as such. What exactly don't you believe? VO2Max estimates from running times are not the same as actually getting it measured in a lab, but then again, it's not that important to marathon runners anyway. You should be much more concerned with improving your lactate profile and threshold point.
  • Options
    Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)

...and compared the results to previous performances to determine if improvements have been made.

It's all about pacing...   go off too quickly and well..   frankly, its just a disappointing end to what was otherwise going to be a solid performance.

Typical beginners mistake.......

• Options
    VO2 max may not be a measure (VO2 is) There is new data to suggest that there is no Max as prev thought and that with training VO2 will increas beyond a theoretical flat line.
  • Options

/members/images/727962/Gallery/swiss_tony.jpg

Swiss Tony says marathon running is a lot like making love to a beautiful woman

• Options
    Dannirr wrote (see)

Iain - peripheral intravenous stuff is the easy bit actually - it's putting in femoral lines or jugular lines that gets tricky when the patient only weighs 12 ounces image

I need to go see Skyfall, Saw Lincoln a few days ago - excellent movie. Daniel Day Lewis brilliant as always.  Cant wait for Les Mis.

Dannirr - 12 ounces? That's amount the amount of blood I lose when I'm putting in femoral lines...image

Lincoln looks wonderful. Day Lewis is an immense presence, Spielberg excels at this sort of movie - i.e. the sort of one that he can't shoe-horn in a happy ending making everyone feel like vomiting (cf Minority Report, AI etc)...

• Options
    Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)
    Emmy_H wrote (see)

*wanders off and pokes head around the corner*.... Kaz isnt here...image

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080312163122/thewire/images/6/63/Bubbles.jpg

Snitchin' huh?

Bubbles!

• Options
    Emmy_H wrote (see)

OK, time to fess. Who has worn a HRM while 'getting down to business', all in the name of 'scientific research'. Hands up everyone, DV, you first, what with your proclivity for rubber and straps...

A few years ago I had to have a cardiology stress test and wear a HRM for 24 hours. I had stickers and tabs all over my chest and I had to complete a set of activities to raise my heart beat. One of them was treadmill running, running up stairs etc.. I'll leave the other one to your open mind but apparently you could tell from the readings what I was doing and when :/

Emmy_H wrote (see)

Emmy - I presume your doctor noted an increase in your HR later in the evenng and put 2+2 together... Did you tell him?! I don't think I've ever seen that marked down on a patient diary for a 24hr monitor...

And now, I'm going to stop quoting other people' posts.

• Options

TD - It's probably because I don't understand it and when that happens I have choice. Do I look into it a little bit more and make an informed comment or do I just say I really don't have the time and make an off the cuff remark, especially when it tells me I have a fair/poor v02 rating when I just run me do das off in a half marathon.

My off the cuff remark is the quicker you run the better you V02. And if you continue to run faster the better it gets. Do you need a calculator for that?

But then I would also say, as you point out, not so relevant for marathon running.

• Options

Just looked at lactate.com for all of 2 seconds. I hated science at school. Switched off.

• Options
    James I don't really pay too much attention to data. I tend to go with how I feel. You are getting quicker and slimmer and as u keep beating you Pb your VO thingy will go up.
  • Options
    And your obsession with running even quicker will endure!image
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)
    /members/images/727962/Gallery/swiss_tony.jpg

Swiss Tony says marathon running is a lot like making love to a beautiful woman

I laughed so hard at this - I think i pulled a muscle image

• Options
    Stray Runner wrote (see)
    You can hack the underlying XML files if you are that way inclined rs....
    ;)

Tried that, got bored and was too much like work my lovely techies do.  What's wrong with a simple click and shift action, eh?!

holeymoley wrote (see)
    How does everyone log their rund? Is it just on garmin or do you keep a blog / journal / something else? I need to start keeping teak of my workouts but can't decide on the best format!

Excel is your friend...become one with it...ask for templates...there's a few people around here who have some very impressive spreadsheets!!!  Mine's pretty basic.  I add in my whole plan with cross training (that I don't wear garmin for) and events that I have to work running around.  Then there's the reference sheet that has all my regular routes and calculates combinations of them to give me the plan for each distance. imageimage

This is the hard strap - never had problems with it. Available from other retailers who contribute more tax revenue to HMRC UK. image

I'm not clicking on that link.  I think the point raised about who takes the next step and uploads is interesting...

Weedy - swiss tony is da man!

welcome back NGUG!  You have been missed image (plus a hugs thingie but RW is so budget it doesn't have it)

• Options

This walk/jog stuff in the cold is getting annoying. Think I'll take trip to the pool after work tomorrow and see if I can find some way to swim with this bloody injury.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

By trhe time my HRM found a signal, the sex would be over. Still, the 2 decimal places might come in handy image

Tricky, that lovely place you work for disenchanted Auto workers sounds great, but are the walls padded?

• Options
    Evening all!

A good idea, borrowing someone else's excel template - any offers?image

My glutes and quads ached this morning after my attempts at lunges and squats yesterday. But I still went went for my hill repeats this eve, 45 mins, mile out in 10.13, mostly uphill, mile back in 9.20 (mostly downhill but I was still pleased) and 8 x 45s hill "sprints" in between (with walk / jog back down). My heart rate got higher on the run back than the hill sprints which was weird! Av HR 150, max 175.

I love all this data! Thanks garmin image

My running parter has decided he wants to aim for a 4.15 marathon. I said I'd give it a go but I'd be happy with 4.30. Whats the best way to speed up? I'm doing once a week intervals, once a week tempo, 2 steady runs and resistance (includes legs and core). I'm also trying to drop a little weight (by eating less cr*p). Any other suggestions?
  • Options

Loving the Garmin Connect guys.

You're all rockin' the running. Great stuff.

• Options

All I want for christmas is a Garminnnnnnnn!

• Options

oh yeah, forgot to link to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGOohBytKTU It's business time!