Options

My name is ???????? and i am gonna seriously get my sh!t in one sock - Part 2

Comments

• Options
    HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭
  • Options
    You are old Willimage
  • Options
    Bloody hell thats good HC. I think my bench 1RM is about 32.5kg? My upper body is a lot less strong than the rest of me! You'll be at 50kg in no time
  • Options
    HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

I managed three reps (out of six) at 47.5kg.  I was hoping to get to 50kg but at least that's a good target to aim for image

I just remember years ago being told that Judy Oakes bench pressed 300lb and I guess I was comparing myself to her image

• Options

Judy Oakes.......now there's a name I haven't heard in a while..........

• Options
    HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

I often wonder what she could have done if it hadn't been for the Russian/East German (ahem) 'regime' of the time.

• Options
    I'm Strawbs and this is my first ever post (this also feels like some anon self help group)

I'm a bit of a gym rat/ novice Powerlifter, I've made the ridiculous decision to do an IM with my other half. I'm a poor swimmer, I have difficulty going at any kind of speed on a bike, but I can run ok, did a half trail marathon at weekend having not run more than 7 miles in 3 years.

Anyhow, I'm committed. I started training last week. I'm giving myself 12 mths (planning on Bolton and other smaller ones in the lead up)

I need help with everything

I think I've found the right place

My aim it to complete at a Bimble, but to complete

I love a challenge

Oh and I intend to keep powerlifting 3 times a week as well for the majority of this time

I shall now retreat, lurk, absorb and soon buy yellow stuff with skulls and crossbones on it.

It's a pleasure to meet you all image
  • Options
    TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭

welcome Strawbs you've come to the right place for all types of advice, social help and piss takes.

• Options

Apparently we also have a Knitting coachimage

• Options

Strawbs, that's perfect... being a pirate is all about zero to IM in as little time as possible... join in, engage, and you'll get all the support and advice you could ever wish for...

oh.... and good luck! image

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options
    Thanks TJ and Magna

I'll def be asking and needing, I drive bloke crazy with questions, it'll be good to ask stupid stuff elsewhere

Today's was over the logistics of why cycling in the rain was not a good second training sesh on my bike when I'm still gripping the bars as if I'm about to deadlift and somewhat wobbly

I'll be reading and asking away... image
  • Options
    HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

Welcome Strawbs image

Relaxing on the bike generally is a good idea.  It saves no end of grief in the shoulders later.

• Options
    It'll also give you better control of the bike
  • Options

Strawb we are indeed a self help group image

where are you based?.

• Options
    Thanks again guys

We're in Preston but work in Manchester (24/7 shifts) so training all over will be the key

I've got the velodrome near work so going to book a track session, I figure he best way to face my rear of speed and bends is in at the deep end!

I guess I won't be able to commit to a local club as I'd only appear once a month at best, I mostly train alone

I'm intending on grabbing every opportunity I can to gain experience and expertise though
  • Options

I'm in Durham currently but moving back to Manchester in August (Oldham) but will be looking to do a lot of training on the Bolton course as that's my main goal for next year.

• Options
    Yes I'm lucky I can drop into the bike course a few miles from home, I know the worst bits of it well...all be it from the comfort of the car, I've a lot of work to do, firstly not wobblingimage
  • Options
    Welcome Strawbs.

You can't beat time on the bike to build confidence.
  • Options
    Lee the Pea wrote (see)

1. Gym 3 x per week
    2. Run 3 x per week
    3. Start biking and swimming for pleasure again
    4. Get on board with low carb high fat nutrition (feel loads better on that protocol)
    5. Get more sleep
    6. Drink more water - I think I'm in a permanent state of dehydration 
    So that was the plan.  As yet, not quite achieving it. 
    1. not been running due calf issue.  It's improving though so hope to start running next week.  Getting out walking instead at the mo
    2. Going once a week at the mo.
    3. Using spin bike, not started swimming yet
    4. On it this week
    5. & 6. doing both.  The sleep for sure because I've been sleeping loads (incl. on the couch at times) as wiped out with anemia at the mo.  Iron tablets should start to help soon.

So that's all a bit meh, but best to report in, even when not quite going to plan.  I feel about as unfit as I've ever felt at the mo, so just ramping it up slowly.  Once nutrition starts reeping benefits I think it'll all be easier.

• Options

Morning All and welcome Strawbs

adlfjk

• Options

Buggrit - that was more succinct than I was planning...

POdds - feel the fear do it anyway wrote (see)

1. weight loss, this last year has seen me balloon to fattest ever from not exactly slim last summer - overall need to lose around 4 stone but prior to my target race (approx 12 weeks time) 2 1/2 stone needs to disappear

2. set a structured run programme which my completely knackered knee will tolerate and more to the point stick to it - which having failed twice this week to get out of bed for a measly 2 miles will be the problem....

Well - so far not so very good

Since the above post I've had the cough from h*ll which is ruining sleep most nights leaving me way too tired to do anything other than function at a minimum level image

Hence also no weight loss as I can't do it on food alone image

Am posting to remind myself that I can't quit now - there's too much at stake too soon!!

• Options

last week was not too bad for me. Just over 17hrs training (this included 3hrs hiking though)

It was a bike focused week and i managed over 150miles on the bike including a long ride of 67miles - plus a couple of runs and a swim

-----------------------

This week is intended to be run focused

I need to get about 6 runs in this week with a long run close to half mara distance - my longest so far this year has been about 8miles - plus i need to still get out on the bike and have a swim or 2

• Options
    Road to nowhere wrote (see)

I need to get more power and speed on the bike too.  My weakest discipline.

I need to stop snacking on so much sugary stuff.  I'll allow myself a small amount, but not the bags of sweets I eat every day.

I want to swim under 20 minutes for 1000m.  Missed the time trial last night because I wasn't well, but think I might have done it - gutted.

Finally, I need to believe in myself and start thinking positively.

Completed Cotswolds 113 on Sunday in the great British weather.  Was over the moon with both my bike and swim times.  I won't know when our next club TT is (they sometimes spring it on us), but hopefully will get under 20 minutes.  

Must have gained more power and speed on the bike too.

Haven't eaten quite so many sweets or chocolate at work, but still eating more biscuits than I'd like.  Wish these supermarkets would stop doing special offers. Currently got a bag of Amaretti's on my desk - arrgghhh.

After the weekend, I am feeling loads more positive about The Outlaw and believing in myself.  However, I am under no illusion that The Outlaw is twice the distance and is going to be a huge physical and mental challenge.

Keep up the good work everyone.  Even if not going to plan right now, tomorrow is another day and we will get all our sh!t in one sock.

• Options

Good stuff RTN... pleased to see you being so positive!

I've been a really good pirate this week with my food... not a single bad thing has passed my lips, and I've picked and eaten healthy options for a good few days now.... tonight was a lovely tomato and beetroot salad with a fresh tuna steak and new potates.... yummy!

stick with those efforts folks.... it'll be worth it!

• Options
    DaylightRDaylightR ✭✭✭

Well, the weight hasn't changed. I;ve drunk more beer than I should, and work has become even crazier image

On a plus note though, I did complete a 107 mile sportive the weekend before last, so got some good time in the saddle. Wasn't quick, but felt fresh enough to run/walk/shuffle afterwards.

Hopefully work will calm down and I can get back into some sort of consistency. I'm no where near ready for Isoman in 2 weeks. Will have to go very easy and treat it like a long training day, and move focus to getting the weight off, and more training in ready for Pirate Champs instead. image

• Options
    HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

Coming in to the weekend how are we all doing?

I have another chest infection so will be coating my sock in Vicks Vapour Rub

• Options

Busy one planned for me.... 2.5hr run tomorrow and a 1hr bike, and a 6.5hr bike and 1hr run on sunday.

• Options

I'm with you Happychap - nearly 2 weeks now of continual coughing but I think more allergy type thing than a cold as it's the only symptom image

.......but no swimming or running or any other cycling as I'm just toooo tired to function..... image

Getting very worried re August now image

• Options
    Just back from a six mile run, farthest since my back gave out. Still sore in back, pelvis & left hip, but moving in the right direction! Keep it going guys!
  • Options

I think I am doing ok but I forget what I promised   image