Options

First 1/2 Marathon

Comments

• Options
    eek - these suggestions are getting worse - i'm scared enough about the Trailplus weekend and how challenging that'll be at the moment!

<finds that blanket used earlier in thread and hides under it>
  • Options
    Nitey Nite all - happy plods and good evenings all round.
  • Options
    Hi all

I have just booked myself a place on the Trailplus weekend! The very nice man on the phone said 'oh are you a forumite then?' when I told him the weekend I wanted to go!

I also get 10% off because I am a member of the Women's Running Network. So a bargain of a weekend!

Have a good evening all!
  • Options
    Haven't been running today, on account of my long run yesterday. So I feel VERY restless (but those sore thighs feel absolutely fine). Had to ask Mr RB to take my running shoes to work with him so I wouldn't use them...
    Running group tomorrow though.
  • Options
    Gungho
    You must be mad
    Let me sleep on it.....
    I had been considering a triathlon next year, but this is a bit more than i envisaged!
  • Options
    Just to let you know that I managed to complete the Great North Run and raised £300 for my charity at the time. Thank you all for the support you gave me in the run up!
  • Options
    blimey Gungho, methinks you are leading us all astray. Must say I did have a peep. Quite tempted but it is far more than i ever invisaged doing at this stage, being a compete beginner and all that. However I am quite tempted, coz I like a challenge. It will mean a pretty serious training commitment. I will give it some thought...
  • Options
    I don't know about doing an ironman gungho mate, that seems a little too adventurous/psychopathic to say the least! I'd love to do a triathlon though, went to the london triathlon earlier this year and my son managed to nab a finisher's medal off one of the marshals, decided that I'd quite like to get myself one of those thank you sir! Don't think I'd be able to do an olympic distance though, possibly a sprint.

Would also help if I could swim properly and own a bike, or even know how to ride one!!
  • Options
    Just adding my dates, times etc to the list, boy do you guys plan ahead!!

** Sandringham 10k 17th oct**
    Poca - 59 mins
    jeckmac 1hour ish?

**Legoland 10K 17th Ocotber
    RHG 68 mins

**Straggler’s Cabbage Patch 10 miler 17 October**
    Tara - sub 95 mins

**Stroud 24th October**
    Puffin - 1:45, am determined to do it this time.
    phil in the vale - sub 1hr 45 (hopefully)
    mark*w - sub 1hr 50mins
    Poca - 2 hours 15 mins
    gungho - 2:10 (secretly hoping to crack 2hrs)

**Maidstone - 24 October**
    Slug - 2:20 (maybe)
    Twisted- 1:40 ish (getting greedy after the success of Kingston)

**Pickering and Moor 10K Oct 24**
    Runny Bunny - around 52-53 mins, hopefully

**Worksop 31st October**
    Hammerite - 1 hr 50mins (prov)
    LMH - 2hr 20mins
    Beanz - 2:45

**Marlow Half 7th Nov**
    Twisted 1:35ish if I improve on Maidstone?

**Rainforest 10k 7th November**
    Tara - 50 mins

** St Neots half 14th nov**
    Poca - 2 hours 10 mins
    jeckmac-2.20ish

**High Peak Relay 14th Nov**
    LMH, Beanz, runningminibeanz, MrBeanz, Hammerite

**Matthew Walker 10k xmas pud race - Heanor 21st Nov**
    Hammerite

**Brighton 10K 21st Nov**
    RHG - 65 mins
    NewRunner - sub 60 will try to stagger behind g/f

*Leeds Abbey Dash 10 Nov 28
    Runny Bunny - around 52 mins.

**Nike Run London 28th November**
    Jeckmac
    Tara - Sub 50 (hopefully)

**Grim 8** Dec 5th
    Poca - think this one is a get round whatever and try not to die in the process!!!!
    jeckmac-get round and down and dirty!
    Mark*w
    Gungho - get dirty without getting injured
    Twisted - just get dirty!
    Tara - No idea just gonna get dirty I presume!

**Bedford half - 12th Dec**
    Poca - 2 hours 8 mins
    Red Haired Girl (prov)
    Hammerite - 1h 45
    Twisted - No Time- dependent on whether Poca wants a pacer to get her round in a good time!
    jeckmac-working up appetite for turkey and pud
    Tara - hopefully sub 2 hrs

**Brass Monkey Half 23rd January**
    RHG - 2 hr 30-35 mins
    jeckmac
    Beanz - 2:30 provided it isn't snowing
    Runny Bunny - no idea, but hoping for under 2.30

**Tough Guy**
    Poca - though not quite sure why!!! Again - will be trying not to die :o)
    Hammerite

**Trailplus 11th-13th February**

Girlies:
    Poca
    Red Haired Girl
    LMH
    Beanz
    Jeckmac
    Lo Hump

Guys:
    Gungho
    Twisted (also working on a non forumite mate to come along who I know the girlies will like!)

**Reading Half 6th March**
    NewRunner - sub 2 hr hopefully
    Poca - God knows by then!!!!

**Forest of Dean Half**
    jeckmac

**Grizzly 20m 13th March**
    Puffin - just don't want to die trying!!

**Wilmslow Half 20th March**
    Red Haired Girl (prov)

**Flora London Marathon 17th April**
    Spicer - 4 hr 30 mins (very very prov, subject to many changes i suspect)
    Hammerite - 4hrs (prov!)
    Twisted - 3 30 (again after succeess of Kingston! I doubt it though!very very prov, and if I get in!)
    jeckmac- Get round! if I get in, will be my first time...
    Beanz 5:30 (if I get in)
    Poca - 4 hr 30 mins (if I get in and very provisionally!!)
    Runny Bunny: well, if I get a place - probably very slow. No promises
    Lo Hump:4 hrs 30 - but that's like asking for the moon
    gungho - 3:30 (in my special world) or 4hrs (in this one). Will decide at Trail Plus under the mind-sharpening effects of booze.
    Tara - No idea, depends if I get place!!
  • Options
    Hello! I think I posted on here a couple of times a couple of weeks agp then vanished - sorry!

I just wanted to tell you about my first half on Sunday (the liverpool one) - (I'll be quick, honest

I entered in a fit of enthusiasm in April, then life took over and training went haywire (asit does). Furtest I'd run was 6 miles, didn't run at all for 6 weeks before race, but wanted to do it anyway.

I hooked up with a lady powerwalking it at 6 miles, and stayed with her for most of it. I ran 9 mins, walked 1, and stuck to that all the way round (very proud of myself for not being too knackered at the end!!)

I managed 2 phone calls, a loo stop, and even a trip to the newsagents for some absentmindedly forgotten jelly babies at mile three...

We got rounded onto the pavement at mile 6 and they reopened the roads, eventually made it home in 3hrs, 2 mins and 41 secs (to be precise!) - no goody bags left (but I've heard there weren't any at the beginning), didn't see a photographer (but the photos come out tomorrow so ew'll see), they were taking the clock down when i came in, and my mum and grandma were there to run the last 100 metres with me (not many others about by then!)

Did I enjoy it? Yes. Will I do another one? Yes! But maybe with a bit more training next time!!
  • Options
    well done DD, sounds like you had a cool time. See you at the next one, loads coming up!
  • Options
    ** Sandringham 10k 17th oct**
    Poca - 59 mins<br>jeckmac 1hour ish?
    **Legoland 10K 17th Ocotber
    RHG 68 mins
    Straggler’s Cabbage Patch 10 miler 17 October**
    Tara - sub 95 mins
    **Stroud 24th October**
    Puffin - 1:45, am determined to do it this time.
    phil in the vale - sub 1hr 45 (hopefully)>mark*w - sub 1hr 50mins
    Poca - 2 hours 15 mins
    gungho - 2:10 (secretly hoping to crack 2hrs)
    **Maidstone - 24 October**
    Slug - 2:20 (maybe)
    Twisted- 1:40 ish (getting greedy after the success of Kingston)
    **Pickering and Moor 10K Oct 24**
    Runny Bunny - around 52-53 mins, hopefully<
    **Worksop 31st October**
    Hammerite - 1 hr 50mins (prov)
    LMH - 2hr 10mins (can eneter Grim if crack this time here).
    Beanz - 2:45
    **Marlow Half 7th Nov**
    Twisted 1:35ish if I improve on Maidstone?**Rainforest 10k 7th November**
    Tara - 50 mins<
    ** St Neots half 14th nov**
    Poca - 2 hours 10 mins
    jeckmac-2.20ish
    **High Peak Relay 14th Nov**
    LMH, Beanz, runningminibeanz, MrBeanz, Hammerite, Mark*w
    **Matthew Walker 10k xmas pud race - Heanor 21st Nov**Hammerite
    **Brighton 10K 21st Nov**
    RHG - 65 mins
    NewRunner - sub 60 will try to stagger behind g/f
    *Leeds Abbey Dash 10 Nov 28
    Runny Bunny - around 52 mins.
    **Nike Run London 28th November**
    Jeckmac
    Tara - Sub 50 (hopefully)
    **Grim 8** Dec 5th<br>Poca - think this one is a get round whatever and try not to die in the process!!!!<br>jeckmac-get round and down and dirty!Mark*w
    Gungho - get dirty without getting injured
    Twisted - just get dirty!
    Tara - No idea just gonna get dirty I presume!
    **Bedford half - 12th Dec**
    Poca - 2 hours 8 mins
    Red Haired Girl (prov)
    Hammerite - 1h 45
    Twisted - No Time- dependent on whether Poca wants a pacer to get her round in a good time!
    jeckmac-working up appetite for turkey and pud
    Tara - hopefully sub 2 hrs
    LMH - last chance this year for under 2.10!**Brass Monkey Half 23rd January**
    RHG - 2 hr 30-35 mins
    jeckmac
    Beanz - 2:30 provided it isn't snowing
    Runny Bunny - no idea, but hoping for under 2.30
    LMH - under 2.10(2 hrs being 2005 target)**Tough Guy**
    Poca - though not quite sure why!!! Again - will be trying not to die :o)
    Hammerite
    **Trailplus 11th-13th February**Girlies:Poca
    Red Haired Girl
    LMH
    Beanz
    Jeckmac
    Lo Hump
    Guys:
    Gungho
    Twisted (also working on a non forumite mate to come along who I know the girlies will like!)
    **Reading Half 6th March**
    NewRunner - sub 2 hr hopefully
    Poca - God knows by then!!!!
    **Forest of Dean Half**
    jeckmac
    **Grizzly 20m 13th March**
    Puffin - just don't want to die trying!!**Wilmslow Half 20th March**
    Red Haired Girl (prov)
    **Flora London Marathon 17th April**
    Spicer - 4 hr 30 mins (very very prov, subject to many changes i suspect)<Hammerite - 4hrs (prov!)
    Twisted - 3 30 (again after succeess of Kingston! I doubt it though!very very prov, and if I get in!)
    jeckmac- Get round! if I get in, will be my first time...
    Beanz 5:30 (if I get in)
    Poca - 4 hr 30 mins (if I get in and very provisionally!!)
    Runny Bunny: well, if I get a place - probably very slow. No promises
    Lo Hump:4 hrs 30 - but that's like asking for the moon
    gungho - 3:30 (in my special world) or 4hrs (in this one). Will decide at Trail Plus under the mind-sharpening effects of booze.
    Tara - No idea, depends if I get place!!LMH - 4.30 if I get a place.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    The list is getting too long! It's all these people planning next years racing calendar.

Phew and Daft Daffy - well done to you both. What have you entered next?

Twisted, I'd very much appreciate a tow round Worksop if you're pacing for a sub 2.10? Not sure I'll be able to persuade Mark to do it again - especially the week after Stroud! That is if three won't be a crowd?
  • Options
    lol what you done to the list LMH totally lost formatting and put a few line breaks in for good measure?!
  • Options
    I'll go for the ironman training. Or at least i'll check it out. not done a halfmarathon yet but i love running and cycling so it's only a question of reaquainting myself with the pool.

to be honest i doubt i'll be ready for next year .......... i think i'd prefer to concentrate on my running first. but perhaps the year after. anyway, i'll give it some consideration. alot will depend on injuries and the like.
  • Options
    Morning all!
    LMH I'm not doing Worksop!, do you mean Bedford?, Worksop would mean doing half m's 3 weeks running and I think that is too much! (in any case I am having a bit of R&R in Dublin that weekend!),I'm already doing one a fortnight for 8 weeks and also have grim 8 and bedford on successive sundays
    Happy to pace you and Poca at Bedford it will be fun and i think it is quite flat so should be good for an even pace and drag you two to a good time
  • Options
    My you have been busy, I go away for a couple of days and then have to spend hours on catch up.

To the experienced runners out there when should you start tapering for a 1/2 and by how much?

Any one looked at the Swiss IM?
    Jeckmac I noticed you posted on there i you up for it i am very tempted not sure about the bike ride though 7hrs plus in the saddle hmmm.

Completed 12 miles at the weekend with no tweeks (injury seems to have gone ) so reckon im ready for Stroud. Im not changing my time but according to my calculations i should manage a sub 1.50 so you never know on the day.
  • Options
    that should read are you up for it. doh
  • Options
    don't know what came over me last night. absolutely no way i can realistically do an ironman next year:) but 2006 would be cool.
  • Options
    SORRY just read back i was only skimming before.

I reckon you can count me in gungho. What do you reckon the expense outlay would be?

• Options
    Morning All,

Tara - the list would no longer post as a single message in its previous format and bounced back to me in very strange form - that was the only way I could get it accepted.

Twisted - yup. I meant Bedford. If I haven't broken 2.10 at Worksop.

Phil - good to hear that things are going well. Hope it all holds up.
  • Options
    Beanz52Beanz52 ✭✭✭
    LMH
    How is recruiting for High Peak Trail?

There are only 6 names on the list - do we have to do 2 laps each???

Do we need to recruit more widely on the forums?

• Options
    Beanz52Beanz52 ✭✭✭
    RHG, are you serious???
  • Options
    Hey phil, was dipping toe in pond to see if if was at all possible for complete newbe to achieve IM. (just get round before cut off)they seem to think it is possible if training put in. Am sorely tempted...But really am complete beginner!
  • Options
    Beanz, I think London might be doable, wouldn't want to go straight to Ironman, might spoil the experience, although I'd love to prove I could do it eventually.

Sprint or Olympic though? reckon sprint would be possible without much extra training, Olympic would need a bit more structure. A spring Marathon would see to the running part no problem, I'd need to speed up my cycling a bit and work on my swimming technique but I'll be swimming loads 'cos Sam will be training for the master Europeans at the end of August. Looking at the average times I'd be below average at the moment but still nowhere near last!

Don't fancy swimming in the London docks much though!

Why? Do you fancy it?
  • Options
    Says you can do it on a mountain bike, although i guess that would slow me down a bit but I don't plan to buy a new bike!
  • Options
    Wow - not been on here for a while - too much to catch up with but I understand that we are all considering marathons as too easy now and looking at Tris and iron mans......are we completely insane here.....have you seen the guys that do this???....Candy Ollier is a mad man....he is training all the time.....not sure I can fit the training in with the rest of my life.....bugger why am I even considering this......this is how I ended up saying I would do Tough Guy!!!!
  • Options
    RHG,I am really sorry but I really couldn't resist responding, but you have better balance than me if you can 'do it' on a mountain bike! would certainly slow me down!, perhaps it should be renamed mounting bike!

I do apologise to everybody for breaking my vow of not being smutty!