Options

sub or about 4h30 hopefully

Comments

• Options
    Fifidella - Like you say not a great course but it gives you an idea of what it's like to run with a lot of other people. Great time by the way anything about 1:55 for the half calculates to 4:00 for the marathon !!! But you can never tell until the day. I did 1:44 last year in the same race and ended up finishing London in 4:30 due to a calf strain at 16 miles. Hoping to improve on that this year though...
  • Options
    Done my 2nd 20 mile run in consecutive weeks today and ran todays as a training run. Ran todays one in the same time (3hrs10) and ran for longer, me thinks I will do one more next weekend and then taper off, thankfully still on my target of well below 4hrs 30 even getting congident of getting near to 4hrs 15 but I will settle for this group
  • Options
    I've been advised to double your half marathon time and add 20 minutes to get a realistic marathon time so I'm keeping to a sub 4hr30 target and that way hopefully I won't be disappointed!

I was watching people coming in around the 2hr30 today as I was waiting for a friend to finish and a lot of them seemed to finish quite strongly and with a smile on their face!
  • Options
    Fifidella -probably agree with your method. There is a race calculator on this RW site which does a more mathematical method based on latest race times.
  • Options
    Dear All,

Well done on all your super-duper times! I set off for a 16 miler on Saturday morning, but had to call it a day after just 6 due to extreme pain in my calves.

On top of that I now have an awful cold and spent all day yesterday in bed. Still feeling rotten so getting a little depressed...

Best,

Chris
  • Options
    CM: never fear, you'll feel better soon. So far I've been very lucky in the build-up although I've never been one to catch colds (touch wood quick!) Basically I avoid people with colds, wash my hands continuously particularly in public places, and eat lots of onions and garlic! (this doubly ensures that nobody with a cold - or anybody else for that matter - comes near me as I probably stink!)

I too have a very sore right calf /leg- I don't know what I've done but there seem to be wierd little niggles in various places including my ankle now as well!

Oh well, did Liverpool half yesterday with a friend who wasn't feeling too good. So we ran first 10 miles at 9 min 30secs. Must say I felt like I was really holding back - at 10 miles I pushed on doing 3 x 9 minute miles so finished in around 2 hours 2 mins. I was really pleased with this particularly as I held back so much at the beginning. Only problem is my leg is killing! Last couple of weeks I am reduced to doing the long run plus 1 or 2 others to try and keep the calf under control - there is no way I can do the entire programme. I'll probably do 1 run this week before 20 on Sunday - then start an enforced early taper (going to Brazil on Monday)!

• Options
    Hi All, well done with your long runs. I ran 19 miles yesterday morning in 3 hours. Was only supposed to run 18 miles to a location where my boyfriend would collect me in car after 3 hours, but as I was ahead of schedule, I decided to run another mile while waiting rather than sitting around. I am really pleased with myself today and I got no blisters and have no sore muscles today or aches today.

I really felt that I could have run on and completed the marathon yesterday. Have one more 20-miler next week and then that's me till the marathon. How did the rest of you get on?
  • Options
    Morning all!

Was the Silverstone half marathon for me, and I finished just a little over 2 hours, must have come in around the same time as Banana I think!

really enjoyed it actually, although my knees are sore this morning. The course was very boring though, just running around and around, and I had no idea Silverstone was so hilly! Miles 11 - 12 where not fun!

Still it was my first half marathon with so many people and I enjoyed the big race atmosphere. Was filled with admiration for the top runners, finishing in 64 minutes is just unbelievable. I think next year I will go and watch the marathon just to see the top runners doing there thing! Have so much respect for them.

Kingston 16 miles next weekend, then 20 the weekend after then it's tapering time!

Not long to go anyway now, and I'm looking forward to the rest afterwards!
  • Options
    Bananna - I went to Sainsburys on Saturday and couldn't find any Joosters, so I ended up buying a few bags of Jelly Babies. I ate one full bag on the way home sitting at traffic lights!!!!

Anyway, I took 1 jelly baby every 20 mins yesterday along with some Lucozade sport during run, and I have to say I am totally converted (to the eating during marathon approach). I usually get sick after long runs but was great yesterday and didn't hit any bad patches (except at about mile 13 when I felt I was gonna get the runs, but it passed)!!!

I will definitely being using this method in future. I now take back everything I said in a earlier discussion in this forum about feeling you did not need to eat on a long run.
  • Options
    WEll done people - sounds like everyone's on track. Did my first 20 yesterday - a four lap course in Finchley. ARghhh four laps was horrid but finished in 3:20 so am pleased and slightly more confident about making the distance on the day.

Is FLM really flat?
  • Options
    Well done everyone, sounds like we're all looking well but looking forward to the taper!!! Those that are poorly/injured, don't give up hope yet, there's still time. I managed approx 17m in just under 3hrs yesterday, had to walk a bit due to knee niggles, didn't want to push it just in case - better to be safe than sorry. I agree with those saying how am I going to manage another 1.5hrs???!!! I'm relying on those crowds!!! How I'll get home not sure yet, may have to get the other to give me a piggy-back across London to get to the train!!!
    I've discovered too that going OTT on the sugar consumption, namely those Joosters is a bad thing for me. Last wend I did 15m in 2.5 hrs but felt really really tired, and for the rest of the day too. I wondered if it was due to the up and down effect of sugar, so yesterday I consumed more slow release carbs, namely homemade flapjack type thing, and felt so much better, even though went further!!! Don't worry Banana I am still a Jooster advocate just think I need to ration them!! Has anyone else found similar up and down thing with instant-sugars?
  • Options
    Manged 2h 1 min at Silverstone yesterday - Bit gutted thta I was so close to 2h but my little legs just wouldn't go any faster - certainly won't keep that pace for another 13.1 miles thats for sure. Fifidella - cracking performance! - were you keeping up with the RW pacers? - they left me for dead at the start!- no way were they doing 9 min miles. Well done everyone else too - the cold and wind made for a pretty uncomfortable start. Am with you in the 11 mile "mini-wall " Kieran - not sure what it was but boredom may have been a factor - don't think I'll be doing that one again - nice and flat but dull dull dull (although I guess the upside was the music all the way around....could have done with "Amarillo" a couple more times. Cranleigh this weekend - yikes!!
  • Options
    Pansie - mile 3 of marathon is slighty uphill, and slight uphill over tower bridge as well, but nothing too taxing, if i can recall correctly. I don't think there are any other uphills, but someone else might be able to verify this.

The worst part of FLM for me was at about 13 miles where you can see all the fast runners going up the other side of the course at about 21 miles. It is so demotivating. But the upside is when you get to that side of course and see all the slower runners still at mile 13 - you feel so good.

I think they are not running over the cobbles this year but changing that part of the route. For me the cobbles were a nightmare as you were so tired by that stage.
  • Options
    Well I completed a 20 miler yesterday, (Ashby) in 3 hrs 18 mins doing a run 8 min, walk 1 min which I don't think I'd got round if i hadn't done that, Mile 18 was the worst time for me I could have sat and cried I felt so bad, but took a big bite of mars bar and a few slugs of lucozade and felt much better. It was nice to finish but today is a killer on the legs. I read that after the marathon you shouldn't stretch......does anyone agree with this, I didn't have the energy yesterday so just kept walking for a bit.

• Options
    Claire - i always stretch after long runs and did after my 19-miler yesterday. If i dont stretch fairly soon after, I find my legs get sore and feel uncomfortable for the rest of the day, particularly when I am sitting or driving. After my last marathon, I stretched and was only a little bit sore the next day and fully recovered by the 2nd day, but I suppose everybody is different.
  • Options
    I dont stretch as mucha s I sould and find that cold baths or ice packs work for me. Have had very little soreness in my training apart from my current injury. Do what ever you know works for you. Everybody is different
  • Options
    Hi - Thanks to all who responded to my comments placed last week - I receive notifications but somehow I cannot read your responses - shame as some of the help and advise that I have read sounds to be good. Finished Silverstone in 2hrs 4mins, improvement of 4 mins on last year - on target at 10miles and even ran with the 9min mile pacer - but from 11 miles seemed to be treading water........missed a number of mile markers so really please when I saw the 13mile marker and managed sprint to line. 20miles in Morecambe next week trimpell - so hoping for a 3hr 30min target. Will try the flapjack refueling instead of Lucazade to see if that aids. Well done everyone - keep going - not long to go now. and again apologies for not being able to read your responses. Will keep reading the posted comments for ideas and help. Take care
  • Options
    Regarding recovery after marathons - my best was after Edinburgh last year. I couldn't find a bus to catch to get from Holyrood Park to City centre so I walked - about 2 - 2.5 miles as I got a bit lost at first until I found the main road.
    The next day - no aches or pains. Next day - still no aches or pains. Next day - went for a short run - fine.
    Moral of the story - don't stop completely after a long run - a half hour walk really gets the running out of your legs (lactic acid and all that stuff).
    Trouble is, a walk is the last thing you feel like doing after 26.2M.
  • Options
    MelF - sounds like few of us were quite close together. shame we didn't hook up as it was quite boring without anyone to talk to! I started off in the 9min mile area but got pushed forward at the start and did the first 2 miles @ 8m30 so had to slow down as I didn't want to run out of energy! seemed to manage pretty even 9min miles until 10/11 miles when I upped the pace a bit (I pretended I was doing a threshold session!) to make sure I got in under 2 hours.

I'm doing Kingston next week but that will be my last organised long run. I'm going to aim for 2hr20.

well done to Pansie & Claire for completing a 20mile race - psychologically that must be good at this stage!
  • Options
    Congratulations everyone on great achievements by the sounds of it. I ran Silverstone too and managed it in 1:58:07. I am soooooooo chuffed as that is over 12 minutes off my previous PB! All this training is obviously making a massive difference.

I stuck with the 9 min mile pace maker until mile 11 too and at that point I think he just took off and there was no way I could stick with him. Luckily my fiance was running with me and we managed to keep going and just sneak in under 2 hours. When I crossed the line my eyes were watering and my nose was running - that will be a lovely photo! The pace did also run the first 2 miles at 8m30 each, which shocked a lot of people including me!

Perhaps I'll recognise Fifidella and Kieran at Kingston as we must have all been standing in the same sort of area on Sunday.

• Options
    Hello! i am new here but am aiming for around 4hr30 in FLM!!

it seems i was probably in the same area as everyone in Half marathon at Silverstone yesterday, finished 2.02!! loved running round the F1 circuit! :)
  • Options
    Pansie - I am told the FLM only has a couple of 'hills' it must be mainly flat because its by the river(?).

This is a good link to see the course
    http://www.serpentine.org.uk/london/lasthalf/map_l.php
  • Options
    Hills? FLM hills? Only if you count running over Tower Brigde and coming up from Blackfriars underpass as hills!

Oh and if you're on red Start there is a short hill just as you go pass Woolwich Barracks but the downhill before and after make up for it.
  • Options
    Regards stretching, I personally stretch stright away after running and muscle wise don't have any soreness, but probably due to lack of muscle, ha ha!

My problem is general aches and pains. Both my knee's hurt after a long run, the knobbly bit on the outside of my leg is very tender! Anyway else having knee problems? Got any remedies?

Supposed to do a fartlek tonight but I may miss due to still aching! Got a very bsy week, and thursday have 10 miles to try and fit in, think I will need to get up early and do it!

Would love to run with the others at Kingston Sunday, but unfortunately I think they segregate the guys and girls so I'll be plodding along! But if you catch me up, give me a push! I will have my Childline vest on so easy to spot!

Well done to everyone for Silverstone and the 20 milers! I hope to break 2 hrs for the GNR in September, oh my god, now I have running goals past the marathon! To think I couldn't even walk upstairs without getting out of breath a year ago! :-)
  • Options
    it's a bit sexist to separate male and female runners at this level isn't it?! perhaps the girls can meet up and we can look at for you Kieran - presumably you'll have your name on your Childline vest as I don't suppose you'll be the only Childline runner there?

I'm going by train as there's a 7.30 train from Earlsfield that gets to Kingston at 7.46. If anyone else is arriving at that time we could meet up at the station.
  • Options
    I am going to be driving there, so will aim to get there at about 7.45ish. I suppose we could recognise each other by race numbers or by what we will be wearing...

• Options
    Kieran, my knees were the only real sore point after the Ashby 20 last Sunday. I've put it down to old age in my case.

When I did the FLM in 2001, it was the joints (knees and hips) which really suffered the next day - and massage doesn't help. Glucosamine helps to keep the joints in line but running long distances (especially if you're overweight like me) is always going to put a lot of strain on the joints.

Good luck for the Kingston runners : I'll be thinking of you while I do the Stafford.

Just found out that my brother can register for the FLM for me to save me a journey down. I remember last time that, even on the Thursday, I had to queue for a while to get registered. So I'm pleased to be spared the extra journey.
  • Options
    Hi, I have been monitoring this thread for a while now but this is my first post.

I am completely new to running (started Dec 31st 04), have a place in the FLM and am aiming for around the 4:30 mark.

I did Silverstone at the weekend (my first ever race), like MelF and fifidella I set off with the RW pacers and was amazed at the pace over the first 2 miles, it seemed far too quick to me but they seemed to slow down a bit after that. In my naivety I decided to try to keep in front of them with the backup position that if/when they came past me I know I would be going too slow. It was really hard but I managed it and finished with a time of 1:56:35 so I am really pleased... and tired... and sore!!!

I don't know how I am going to do another 13 miles :-(

Anyway, I just wanted to say 'well done' to everyone for their endeavours over the weekend.
  • Options
    Does anyone know when we get our final instructions for the day? Surely it should be soon, I'm following the schedule in the marathon magazine and the final 3 weeks training is in the next issue!
  • Options
    Well I hope my knee's get better, they are still sore today! Supposed to do an hour tonight but maybe not!

i think the packs come out next week sometime, before Easter at least is what I'm told.

Have you seen the orange bumper plates thing? It is quite good, I shall be getting mine done! http://www.orange.co.uk/marathon/ is the link anyway!

Maybe a coffee and a stretch after Kingston for those who are running it? Would be fun to share war stories, but I will probably be the last man in! Seriously... I'm worried I will come last on Sunday!