Options

sub or about 4h30 hopefully

Comments

• Options
    Kattiesparkle - i'm running for Battersea too! But saturday was the only time ihad this weekend to run so couldn't make the morning visit. How was it?

As for the milemarkers - it says on the Flora website that every mile is marked by a big arch in the road with a clock with the time elapsed since the start.

Arggggh doing 20 on sunday - getting scared!
  • Options
    Hey People!

things are getting pretty serious now with people getting up and over 20 miles! Damn impressive I have to say, 12 months ago I couldn't run for 10 minutes, now I'm running over 3 hours at weekends! big pat on the back for everyone!

Anyway I have a question...

Do you think it is is tougher running on a running machine? I say this because I seem to run faster for less results or at least that is my feeling! For example, last night I did a 10k, and finished in around 58 mins and found it quite tough, running at 10.4 km/hr. However when i ran a 10k outside I did it more comfortably in around 50 mins.

Anybody notice this? Does anyone else find it tougher on a running machine? Do you think they have a margin error in them? I guess you don't get the subtle pace changes you get when running outside, but still!

Any thoughts appreciated! I tend to do 2 runs in the week indoors, 1 outdoors, anf then my long weekend run outside.

K.
  • Options
    I don't enjoy running on a treadmill as they say you should run on a 2% incline and i find it really tough, I'm with you though, easier and faster outdoors then indoors, maybe the scenery takes our minds off things and we don't notice we've quickened our pace.

I only do my threshold and interval training on the treadmill, everything else is outdoors, even if its snowing!!
  • Options
    I find a lot easier to run faster indoors but then again maybe that's because I only do shorter runs indoors that I would naturally run faster. I must admit I only have a 0.5 incline because I just find it far too tough otherwise - it certainly doesn't feel like that when I run outside!

Having said all that I MUCH prefer running outside because inside is way too boring - I spend my whole time staring at the clock counting every second, and talking myself out of stopping!
  • Options
    I agree with Nippynora, I find I run faster on a treadmill. But then I don't run with any incline at all! I find it easier to set a pace on the running machine and just stick with it, where as running outside I have no idea what pace I am actually going.

Having said that time just drags by on the treadmill and all you can think about is how long you've got left and how much it hurts! I have been doing 2 runs a week on the treadmill in the evenings when it's too dark to run on my own and the rest outside at lunchtimes or at weekends.
  • Options
    I find it easier to run outside than on treadmills. I think it's because I get really hot inside and that tends to make you think you're working harder than you are. Outside you always feel cooler and fresher.
    Like others I do threshold sessions on treadmills, and recovery runs too sometimes, and the rest outside.
    I run on a 1% incline and don't even notice it most of the time.

Thanks for the advice CJS. I would normally run through sniffly symptoms as well, but don't want to risk missing the half this weekend. Will check my pulse and then maybe do a recovery run instead.
  • Options
    Pansie, it was really good, we had a look round at all the dogs (very sad) but learnt a bit about the home which was really interesting! There were only 4 of us there, apparantely there's 10 in total though. I'll probably see you on the day then!

I don't like running on treadmills, I ran 10k yesterday and I was really uncomfortable by the end, I think its because you can't adjust your speed or have any fresh air. I won't be doing that again!

• Options
    I can't stand treadmills. They are good for interval training as you can set exact speeds. You are supposed to have at least 1% incline otherwise it's like running slightly downhill outdoors so I usually set it at 2% and I find interval sessions absolutely hellish.

I would far rather run for an hour outdoors than 20 minutes on a treadmill. I never run more than once a week on a treadmill so I admire those of you disciplined enough to do it more often!
  • Options
    Fifidella, I admire people who go running outside even in the dark, cold, wind or rain! That's usually why I end up on the treadmill, I won't run in the dark. But if the weather's rubbish and it's just a recovery run then it doesn't seem worth getting wet/blown away for!

Did my threshold session last night after all and it was fine. Don't feel any worse today either. In fact, woke up feeling better. Must be psychological.
  • Options
    Crikey! I leave this thread for three days and its moved on two pages!! Shows how wrapped up we all ar ein this now I guess. Fifidella - nothing wrong with being a know-it-all!! Wish I knew more. the only reason I am doing the 21 miler before FLM is confidence. Being new to this game, doesn't matter what anyone tells me there seems to be a big gap between 18 miles and 26 adn a bit! (remembering when running 8 miles at all was an achievement - now its virtually a "day off"!

Bananna - I too woke up with a sore throat this morning - am stuffing myself full of vit c fruits and echinacea and trying to ignore it. I am determined I'm not missing Silverstone this weekend. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you

Anyone else found this week really tough? It seems to have really ramped up a level in the weekday runs - even my threshold run was 7 miles!. My body seems to be really feeling it this week - maybe its just the lurgy brewing but it seems lot more intense
  • Options
    Hi all - i find running on the treadmill incredibly boring but this past 6 weeks I have been doing most runs on it due to a shin injury and wanting to run on a cushioned surface.

I feel I can do the shorter runs much quicker outside and sometimes wonder if the treadmill is calibrated correctly.

However, I have ran a 16-mile and a 14-mile long run on treadmill in past few weeks. It was hard to motivate myself to do it but I find I can do the long runs faster on the treadmill as I set the speed and stick at it no matter how tired I feel. When I'm doing a long run outside, I find that I tend to slow down after about 10-miles and therefore the latter half of the run takes me longer.

I have the exact same problem in marathons. I am on target up till about 16 miles and then everything falls apart and I slow down. I do all the right training and my times are faster than the target times in training, but I just don't seem to be able to keep up the same pace for the whole 26-miles.

Is anyone else like this and does anyone have any ideas?
  • Options
    MeIF, I'm with you on the "tough" week. Its been really hard to get out and run. Struggled to do 9 miles yesterday, and now feel like I'm going backwards!

Why is it that whenever I run back from work, it is the most annoying run of the week? I spend more time dodging people as they leave their work, as they dont have the curtesy to look left and right! I think I nearly got taken out at least 4 times!

I've now picked up an injury as a result of stepping off pavement, onto road, back onto pavement, and my right thigh is abit knackered! Ah well, maybe a few rest days will be good for one!
  • Options
    ZImchick - exactly the reason I don't run home! - Its a good ten miles for from work to home so it would be great but its commuter territory all the way and at least a mile of it (London bridge) is heaving with tourists too - I found it so frutsrating (and slow - traffic lights!!!) that i prefer to get home and then go out or do it at lunchtime if I ahae time (not often_). Luckily i work at home twice a week so i use that for my longer days and just run late afternoon
  • Options
    zimchick, one answer which I stick to : I only run in the road and avoid the pavement. I do this to avoid driveways which are perfect for breaking up your pace. I do this during races as well - which doesn't always endear me to the marshalls !

Did a 3-miler this lunchtime just to keep the legs moving before the 20-miler on Sunday ! Easy as pie !

Was amazed to read in Runner's world about the staff member who did a 3-hour marathon using run/walk ! There's hope for some of us yet !
  • Options
    I feel pretty carp this week as well, thought it was due to TOTM but maybe like you lot its the training getting harder, milage going up etc.
    I'm having 2 days rest now before the 20 on sunday and missing out my interval training on friday, do you think it will matter? I have a niggley pain in my left thigh which is pretty bad when I first start running but gets lesser the further I go, am having a massage tonight to try and help it before Sunday.
  • Options
    Claire - take the rest, you'll run better for it, and have at least a couple of days rest afterwards as well. Your fitness levels won't drop.
    20 miles is a long way, and if it's an undulating course it can take as much out of you as a marathon on a fast, flat course.

Good luck with it.

PS Is anyone running the Spen 20 on Sunday?
  • Options
    I might have said I'm a know-it-all but I'm not a do-it-all! I have missed loads of sessions due to living in the real world but have done most of the key sessions so I'm hoping that will carry me through. Silverstone on Sunday will tell!

I'm impressed with the level of commitment by everyone!
  • Options
    I haven't been out for 5 days, my cold turned out to be a bit more debilitating and has gone to my chest. It's so hard NOT to train. I was feeling a bit better, got changed and ready to go out. Fortunately a friend called to remind me that his snivvles had turned into pneumonia and he was out of action for weeks. If you're feeling a bit ill, don't go out: you're all doing so well with the mileage and WILL be ok on the day as long as you don't push it now. Am I just trying to convince myself here?
  • Options
    Holly-go-lightly - the FLM is 37 days away. Even if you spent a week not training and just getting 100% well, you will have a month left to train.
    Your body won't become unfit in a week, and you will be able to train in the knowledge that you are not pushing your body when it's fighting an infection.
    If Runner's World can publish a 'Run a Marathon with just 6 weeks training' then you can build on what you've already done during the last 6 months.
    Better that than hurting yourself and jeopardising your FLM.
    Best of luck
  • Options
    Thank you MWCMF. I know you're right!

Good luck everyone on your long runs and races this weekend!
  • Options
    Good luck everyone, this weekend. Don't forget this is not the big one so be sensible! Enjoy
  • Options
    Let's hope that luck is not a factor ! See you at Ashby, Claire. I told my wife : don't expect me home for nearly 4 hours but it would be nice if I could get round quicker - but just getting round is a good enough target for me.
  • Options
    Good look those 'racing' tomorrow. Me, today I have done 17 miles which went OK - it still seems strange that you have to run another 9.2 miles (or worse another 1 1/2 hours-ish.

Zimchick - I am with you on pedestrians - even cars stop and let you across the road - people don't move and if they do it's only in to your path!!
  • Options
    Just back from this mornings run. Half-Marathon Distance in 2h 5m 45s not quite under the 2hrs as I had hoped but I am still chuffed with this time.

I drank something as usual on the run but also had a boots energy bar. Also had some cereal before I went out, an early night and no alcohol for a week!!!!!!

Don't know if this made the difference?
  • Options
    hope everyone hit their long-run target this weekend...

i did 20 miles this morning in 3:23, with a few lovely hills chucked in.

i was absolutely delighted to stop running. it was almost a spiritual experience.

doing another hour stikes fear into my very soul.....

anyone else?
  • Options
    London Half at Silverstone for me. 1:49 by my watch. Quite happy with this a little bit outside my PB on the same course last year but I know I'm not in the same shape as this point last year.
    Slight calf niggle after the race so time to rest until Tuesday recovery run.
  • Options
    Wellllll! Did the Ashby 20 in 3.45.56 but walked the last five miles with very occasional spurts of jogging. I ran 15 miles though and that's a record for me. And, of course, I got a PB today as well (first time over the distance)

Tried a couple of Joosters but found that they "repeated" on me so gave up on them for now - and I couldn't face a gel. I'm coming to the conclusion that it's just going to be liquids for me on the day.

It looks more and more like 5 hours is more realistic for the FLM. Never mind, eh ! On the other hand, at 51, that's still pretty good.

Stafford half-marathon next weekend !
  • Options
    Great going guys! only wish i could've got a long run in today. Been out for 8 days now with a respiratory virus and after feelin better yesterday tried a recovery run today only to have to walk after 22 mins. This is so frustrating after diong 17m 2 Sundays ago. Should have done the Hastings half today. So glad i didn't. has anyone else suffered anything like this and if so how long does it take to get over.
    Reading your acheivements does help tho and i'm determined to complete the FLM on the day. Looks like i might be company for you now Paul.
  • Options
    Jonah - I was a few minutes behind you at Silverstone - 1hr55 by my watch so v. happy to finish in under 2 hours but what a slog. v. boring course and the wind factor was freezing - hope the Kingston breakfast run is more enjoyable next week!
  • Options
    Did 2:07 in the Silverstone half. Things didn't quite go according to plan pre-race. Was a bit under the weather and had an awful night's sleep due to boyfriend being ill and coughing all night. Don't know if these made a difference but my heart rate was a bit high to start with. Still its a PB and I'm happy.