Options

Kent Coastal Marathon

Comments

• Options
    When in Rome....

In for a penny.....

Ice cream during, ale recovery. Exactly like Paula does in her altitude training.

Probably.
  • Options
    Just about to send in my entry form.

I've been training for this for a while now, the plan is to get a sub 3:15 for a GFA entry to FLM. Last couple of heavy weeks, then a week easier before doing the Race the Train (14 and a bit miles) and finally two weeks of taper before the day.

I just hope that it is not too hot on the day.

I hope your last few weeks training go OK. See you all there...
  • Options
    Hi Don One,

I'm also aiming for that time, lets see how it goes...Does this time allow for a direct entry in FLM?
  • Options
    GFA Men 18-40.........2:45-3:00
    41-59.........Sub 3:15
    65-69.........Sub 4:00
  • Options
    Hi Edgar, as Tinribs says it does when you are my age!
  • Options
    sorry for asking...what does GFA stands for?
  • Options
    Good for age.

Sadly I don't think I'll be qualifying....
  • Options
    ooops...I'm 30...that means i need a sub 3:00 time...I'm tired just thinking about it...:-)
  • Options
    Noooooooo chance of a GFA for me...... LOL.
  • Options
    I could get one easily - I just can't be bothered.
  • Options
    Me too. I'm just outside one of those GFA times at the moment. And, even better, I've got over 20 years to train for it.
  • Options
    Hello, all. Kent will be my first marathon. I'm a retired U.S Naval officer coming down from Eastern Northants. Very much looking forward to it.

Training has been going okay, I guess. I've been running a pretty consistent 8:20 pace or so through 18 miles, but expect direct impact with "the wall" anytime now. I'm 44 yo, so I'm pretty happy with the times. If it is not too hot, I expect to come in under 4:00, which is my goal. GFA is probabaly a pipe dream.

Physically it has been no problem at all thusfar, but excrutiatingly boring on the long runs, which I have been doing alone.

Tomorrow, I do 20 in the morning, and then fly out to Prague for a a few days. I expect I'll find the beer in the Old Town an adequate substitute for Motrin. I've been training with a 70 oz Camelback and PowerGel. Have you who have run Kent before found the spacing of the water stations adequate? Will there be carbo gel? I'm wondering if I ought to plan on carrying my water and carbs with me.

See you all out there. Cheers. Todd
  • Options

Hi Todd

Water will be at 2.8,5.5, 7.5, 10.3, 13.2, and then I forget exactly when it is! But roughly each 2.5 miles.

There will be three water stations with bottled water 0.5l sports caps for the marathon runners

We will be using SIS Energy gels on the race and each person will be offered three on route at roughly 6.5, 13.1 and 20 miles (ISTR).

If it is hot I would suggest that any runner who wants to carry water should do and any runner who is likely to take over 4 hours should carry their own carb gels as well if they want to.

• Options
    4 weeks to go folks!

I'm more nervous than a first timer yet.

We should be getting the race numbers soon from Running Imp (about the 15th), so you should expect your race packs a few days after that!
  • Options
    ...at the moment I am sitting at my computer with a daisy in my hand...shall I run...shall I not...shall I run ...shall I not?

...It is a big daisy...
  • Options
    You know you will - resistance is futile...
  • Options
    Just back from a week in Planet Thanet. Crap weather (ideal for running!) I managed my last long run, the whole marathon course, ok I skipped the last half mile, also starting at the first turnaround point so the hilly first half was my last quarter.

Great run, The weather was perfect, at 5am it was sunny with a light mist type rain around 8am. I had planned on doing it slowly in around 5 hours (race day aim sub 4), and finished in 4.15 so I was well pleased. No spectators around at that time of morning and no water stations (why is this DB?).

Great also to see Phil and his family on Saturday morning at the Beach Art... bit cold though.

ANyone interested they have Folk Week this week in Broadstairs, lots of booze and live music, Back in two weekls for the weekend so another medium paced run planned maybe 16 miles (Ramsgate to Westgate).

Under one month and counting. Just need to concentrate on speed work now.
  • Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Ah Ashley need your help, have lost Fiona's email address if you could kindly help, hit delete by mistake!

Folk week is great, lots of morris dancing and clog dancing!
  • Options
    Ashley,

The lack of water stations for your training run was due to a slight oversight on our part. We forgot to tell you the night before that the pre-race fully-supported full-distance training run started at 10am, not 5am. We had to put back the start time owing to some golf buggies and herds of jellyfish on the course.
    By the time we had cleared up the jellyfish, some idiot had parked a EU jet plane on the Minnis Bay turnaround. It took ages to get them to move it as they said they had sacked all their pilots.

:-)
  • Options
    LOL DB, by the way I have PM'd you.
  • Options
    So with no more airport does that mean we can hold the Thanet 10 down the main runway at Manston. Forget race the horse that some people have we could have race the liquidator. Winner takes home a very very very large cheque supplied at the creditors expense.
  • Options
    I quite like the idea of 'race the plane'

You could have a cessna, a Fokker 100, a Hawk Trainer jet courtesy of the red arrows.. and a fighter plane coming into land in quick succession.

"Only the best survive" could be the race tagline...

:-)

Ashley Got your message and am thinking about what we can do and who to send it on to...
  • Options
    I still can't make my mind up on this one. I did the North Downs, and could certainly have kept going, but have not done the distances since. Having said that, I did my first marathon on far less training than I have done so far this year. It may be a case of "I will if you will", Corridore!
  • Options
    come on, you can always give up at halfway if its prooving too much (and the pub is beckoning).

DB only the best survive is an interesting name for this marathon, considering we run along the seafront. maybe bring some of the 60's Mods and Rockers back!
  • Options
    I was thinking of the 'race the plane' event on the runway...
  • Options
    Johnny

I've asked about the MV60 - I should have an answer tomorrow.

As to your Learjet, there is no insurance for planes to land at Manston (Its sooooooo quiet at home), so you'll have to put some AVgas in the Alegro and whizz on down the Thanet Way :-)

djb