Options

Kent Coastal Marathon

Comments

• Options
    You knock 'em over, I nod 'em in, Rich.

Still think the best place for such things is in the base of a long, snug-fitting top though. You'd think that the cyclists would have come to terms with things like sweat dispersal etc etc by now.

In fact now I've got the proverbial bit between the teeth I'll try and dig out one of my ancient cycling tops and see if it works. Even though I'll look like a total prat jogging around, but what's new?
  • Options
    I use a cycling top sometimes in the winter. Must be an 'outer' because it's too warm/bulky for anything but cold days. It has a pocket in the small of the back which is useful.

But it's not skin-tight lycra, Ronnie - leave that to you!
  • Options
    David,

Yes, I've emailed twice and haven't had any response.

Pretty sure my number for the 20 was 131.

Cheers
  • Options
    id,

OK I'll do something about this - but it will probably be this weekend at the earliest. If you email me some contact details I'll try to phone you when I have more info.

Cheers

djb
  • Options
    I've put up a course profile in Excel format for the half and marathon at:

Course Profile Link

Would a couple of people have a look at it and comment on it before I put on the links to it. The problem I have is with the vertical scale... At the moment it is set to 0-500m. If i make it any less all the hills look like mountains requiring full climbing regalia, and its not really that bad...

Comments please

Regards

djb

PS: Course map will come in the near future...
  • Options
    I think it looks ok, David - tells me exactly where the tricky bits are which is all I need to know.

The Hastings half profile looks very mountainous andit still does the same job. I prefer this approach, though, because it does more accurately represent the race - very long (!)and relatively flat.
  • Options
    looks ok to me, encouraging that from half way onwards it's pretty level

looks like as flat a marathon as you can get in the autumn...David, from experience do people enter the Kent marathon to try and get a good for age re FLM next year? I am hunting for the quickest marathon in the South in the hope i can nail a sub 3 hour pre October.
  • Options
    Harry,

Its not a fast marathon on the basis of the undulating first half and the paths used aren't hugely wide at points, which can slow a pack of runners down...

Having said that people have got PBs on it, but its not the highest percentage chance. Having said that it is a very scenic route, which can be inspirational
  • Options
    David -

One of our club runners did it last year and still goes all quiet when talking about a climb near the end which reduced runners to walking... or tears.

Do we still have this to look forward to before the rum 'n' raisin ice creams?
  • Options
    Yes, you can see it on the profile near the end. Its the same climb people do on the 10 mile route. Quite a few people have said that it wasn't as bad as they thought it would be to counter those that found it tough. Running marathons is always emotional to a certain degree.

I don't see why people were so upset about it, after all on average, the route is entirely flat :-)
  • Options
    To be fair the hill at the end is niether steep or undo able. If it appeared in a 5k or as it does the 10 miler you would not even give it a secong thought. The fact that it appears at mile 25 when you are knackered is the only reason it appears to be so steep.

DB the chart looks fine, I ran the Safaricom last Saturday and only wish I had seen the chart of that course when I started my training. I saw photos and it looked like a flat desolute course. In reality we had a 100m climb at one point which in 29C with no shade or wind and at a starting altitude of 1750m was interesting... strangely though it was the going down 100m in a quarter of the distance that it took to go up that realy whiped me out.

Looking forward to September and my co-runner from Kenya is now planning to come and try out the course in Kent as well.

DB2 full race report and photos will be sent for TRAC newsletter in due course, can't remember do I send it to you or to someone else?
  • Options
    AShley - there is a link on the web site for magazine entries, under members. Have a look there for it...

Cheers

djb
  • Options
    I will be away for the next fortnight, so queries about the marathon may get asnwered by Mark, or you may have to wait until we get back.

Regards

djb
  • Options
    Hi folks while Dave is away I will be happy to answer any questions. I will try to look on the forums at least twice a day so please be patient I will get back to you. On the T shirt front Royal blue seems to be a favourite and is one of TRAC colours.
  • Options
    Excellent.....blue goes with my eyes :-O
  • Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Talking of colours and being new to the club thing, how do you go about purchasing a club vest? Any club peeps know who to contact?
  • Options
    cinders you can speak to Derick Sackit. Or come along to the club meeting next wednesday at Thanet Wanderers Rugby Club where someone will be able to help you im sure. Otherwise you should be able to order 1 from Hargreaves sports in Canterbury.
  • Options
    Mark if you go with blue I will be forced to reveal everything......about your darkest secrets!

Cinders - hope we didn't scare you off last Thursday!
    Gaynor (who you met on thursday) has a stock of vests for ladies and she is usually at the meetings. The best thing to do is contact her via the website and ask her to bring a selection along so you can try them for size too.
    alternatively if you email me I'll give you one of her home emails and you can use that..

PINK PINK PINK!!!
  • Options
    pink pink pink cause my feet stink, Bright yellow, be proud be loud!
  • Options
    Pink with royal blue lettering would work . . .
  • Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Hi Poddler, I'll be back this week car permitting....it sprung a leak after the rain and has been in the garage since Wednesday!

Pink sounds nice :-)
  • Options
    SBF - now THAT sounds like a good idea!

Cinders - great! Remember there's a nice gentle Monday night session too at 6.30 from Charles Dickens school Broadstairs if you can make it
  • Options
    Mr. Foster.
    A question about the route:

Is it true that there are a lot of benches on the first half?
    A friend told me he ran into one and hurt his wotsits...and has never been the same since.
    Don't fancy running with a cricket box...
  • Options
    Will there we yellow?

Safaricom T-Shirt is green on one side with Zebra stripes on half and the name of the race on the other half, printed both sides. Best T-Shirt to date. So TRAC I throw down the guantlet and challenge you to come up with one more adventurous. Pink, blue and yellow should get noticed, but they should be in wavey lines and not Microsoft block of colour.
  • Options
    Hi guys glad the choice of colours is causing so mutch interest I still like blue.

Corridore yes there are a few benches on the first half I have injured myself on one while training on the route mutch to the ammusement of several TRAC members we will do out best to mark them with tape etc but you will need to keep your eyes open and your wotsits out of the way.

Ashley I like a challenge, however as allways money is the major driving force. We are going to provide Tshirts and medals to all finishers this year as well as SIS gels and sports bottles of water on the course. Therefore a single coloured shirt with 1 colour print is just about all we can afford.
  • Options
    FoggoFoggo ✭✭✭
    Hi, Ive decided to run the marathon this year, it'll be the first time Ive run this one. Instead of me trawling through all the messages, can you confirm about the SIS gels. Will they be at every water station & where are the water stations?
    Also whats the route like, is it 1 lap or multiple laps?
    Sorry Im sure this has all been answered but it saves me going through all the messages.
    Thanks
  • Options
    Foggo glad your joining us this year sis gels will not be at every water station. we're still to decide exactly where but you should expect to get 3 on the way round 1 in the first half 2 more in second. Water stations will be every 3 miles most will be cups but at least 3 should be sports bottles one in first half 2 in second. The course is two different loops out and back for 1st half then out and back in the other direction for the second, flatter, half.

• Options
    FoggoFoggo ✭✭✭
    Nice one thanks Mark
  • Options
    Foggo

Welcome.

The first half is mildly undulating with some fantastic views across the channel and through to DealSandwhich.

The second half is very flat but watch out for the minor slope at mile 25 which will feel like your climbing Mount Everest on those tored legs. Still its very short and afterwards its perfectly flat in the last 1k to the end.

MF7 oh, can I swap a medal for a cup? (am I causing problems here!!!) Just joking.

My KCM T-shirt from 2003 was my pride and joy until one of my kids friends covered it in paint so I will be glad of any (unless its pink) T-shirt commemorating KCM 2005.

You forgot the ice cream station as well at mile 10 in Broadstairs!
  • Options
    update on the t shirt front. I have spoken to the suppliers and unfortunately fruit of the loom do not do a pink one sorry guys!