Options

Leicester City Marathon

Comments

• Options

Having done my first marathon last Sunday in Leicester in what I thought was a decent 3:33, I have now with sore legs entered myself for Paris in April.

B Rubble, you mentioned it is a flat course. Has anyone got any other feedback on Paris?

• Options

I think part of the reason I got a PB was because I kept thinking it was going to get flat soon... so I was always going a lot faster then I would have done if I'd known about the hills and cobbles yet to come.  Mentally I was ready for it to be fast and so hit it a bit harder...

This was my 9th marathon and whilst my marathon PB is weak compared to some of my shorter race times, I don't expect to take more than a few minutes off this PB at any time soon.

• Options

P.S. As well as not mentioning L****, can whoever sent me the email this morning about Milan please b***** *** - thanks!

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I got that email about Milan too, deleted it as I have a race in Finland that weekend.   At least I won't have to do L****image
  • Options
    Have tried photo link (http://www.a-w-p.com/) several times both yesterday and today but can't get it to work after the first page, anyone else having this problem? Are you supposed to click on 'galleries'?
  • Options

http://www.a-w-p.com/main.php?g2_itemId=853

Click on the thumbnail pictures to drill down the levels to actually get to the photos.....looks like they are just starting to appear.

• Options
    How u all feeling then
  • Options

not too bad thanks Mick  - how about you?

the pictures are slowly coming up on that link but only the start so far... 

• Options

Susan

I'm very well Susan thanks, very much ready for this weeks Lady Godiva HM

Our  last two marathons which i found rather tough, RH in 5.07, and Leicester in 4.52, did my self belief and confidence the world of good

i don't think about 13 miles, just go blast them ! 

i met you in the builing yes??

then out on ther course ??

If it is you, it was great seeing you run along, picking it all off quite effortless from what i  could see

• Options
    Just checked the pics - think they are now up to about a minute or two before I finished so hopefully I will be in the next batch uploaded.
  • Options

Hi Everyone

Just been reading through the last couple of days posts.

Looks like a few of you had a wheel come off, but mostly the feeling is very positive. I enjoyed supporting you through Swithland, and having time for a brief chat or three.

It was interesting how many folks were trying to persuade me to take their number and finish the course for them. Tempting! but no.

• Options
    Yes Mick met you in the morning in the building you were talking to TuTU in purple our mate and then out on the course - you inspired me to concentrate on the good bits of which there were quite a lot and to try and kick out the negative thoughts - it must have worked as I finally broke that 4 hour barrier, so thank you and good luck for this weekend. image
  • Options

Hellen, I got a pb by 1 minute 15 secs in 3:20:06. My previous best was FLM 2006 which was run in perfect conditions.  The course at Leicester was definitely harder than FLM but its easier to get into a stride.  As far as what I could have expected, I gave it everything so am happy. I was disappointed that my splits were so different 1:35 and 1:45 whereas in my previous 2 marathons I have been metronomic.  I don't know if I went off too fast or just the hills, especially the descents, buggered me up. I think there is a 3:15 in me and will look to run a relatively flat marathon without the FLM crowds to put this to the test.

I have just started walking like a human again although thighs and quads are still very sore. Right ankle is also a bit swollen and ball of my right foot hurts. However, this week I just don't care image 

• Options

Can someone explain the results to me. I feel a bit thick.

The two times given are gun time and chip time (I think). Looking at the results, the ranking would be exactly the same if you took gun OR chip time. I can't see how that can be? Am I missing something?

• Options

The results are still provisional and are incorrect. The organisers did very well to put them up so quickly on Sunday - and I'm sure they'll sort the chip time problem out at some point soon.

Meanwhile... with the current list, if you do know your watch time then it's easy to look up your chip time and find out your chip position (I move up 10 places!)

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand what's wrong with the results.  Chip times are usually for the runner's own use and finish position for results/prizes is usually as runners cross the finish line.
  • Options

My chip time is about right, within 3 seconds of my watch time.  They can't be correct because as T&B points out they are all in the same order.  Is Bob around to explain to this to us?

• Options
    does that mean they might change chip times? ?  better not..... I only scraped in under 4 hours by 46 secs!! if they do I will deny it image
  • Options
    Don't suppose they will have overestimated by 22 minutes? If so, I'll break the 4 hr markimage
  • Options
    if they over estimate I can go with that.........image
  • Options

I seem to have made a lot of mistakes this time, I think it was all the pressure of bringing it into the city. Not only did I describe the course badly, then I forgot to get the medals engraved now I've cocked up the results with regard to chip timing.

It is the first time we've used chip timing and Championchip give us results in seperate lots for gun time and chip time, I'm afraid I merged them incorrectly. I will sort it out today.

Sorry everyone.

• Options

Bob - relax - it`s not a big problem! The only problems I saw on the day was the car parking (and I managed to avoid that) and the marshalling and support team were ace image - so a huge thanks for all your efforts.

Shades - agreed - the race clearly stated up front that they`d award prizes by gun rather than chip time so the important columns in the results are all correct. Even going on my true chip time, I think I'm still a little way outside the prizes anyway image

• Options

Bob - please don't beat yourself up. I really enjoyed the race (I did the half). I thought the marshalling was excellent - all were friendly and very cheery. Was very impressed that some of them had orange segments in the later stages - very welcome. Having energy gels & sports drink at the water stations was also great.

Yes, it was a bit hillier than the description but to be fair, there was a hill profile on the website so we could have checked if we wanted too. 

My main grumbles were - in the last mile in city centre there could have been a few more marshalls as the runners were spread out and it wasn't always immediately clear where you were headed. Also, if the road could be closed in that inner bit it would be good - I was running behind a smoky bus for about 200M. A medal for half finishers would have been good too.

However, overall I think you and your team did a great job and I am sure the little niggles can be ironed out for future years. 

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Bob - you did a fantastic job (as usual) of organising this event.  

I don't think your route description was that far out - artistic licence and all that.   

Not all medals at events are engraved and it's a nice medal anyway.  

And I don't know if you've cocked up the results, my time is correct.   I'm not sure what the issue is there with some of the runners.

Also - the venue was good, the marshalls were friendly and helpful (especially the 2 lovely ladies doing the baggage store), the t-shirt is great and it fits.   The course was superbly thought out with lots of nice and interesting things to view on the way round.

The queue for the car park was the only problem I was aware of and next year I will just plan to arrive earlier.  

Am looking forward to next year already as want to do the course justice next time.

I do hope you feel that this event was a great success because it was BRILLIANT.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Hollywood - I would need about 2 hours taken off my time to get near the vets prizes...lol   image

• Options

Bob - I agree with everyone else, it was a well organised race. Thank you and well done! image

Particular thanks to the lady marshall at 21/22 miles who ran alongside me and gave me a drink. We may moan a bit about chip times but we'll all have had our own watches to time ourselves.

• Options

Bob

Super event

would we do it again

of course we would !!

• Options
    Absolutely no complaints from me. The middle section was tougher than expected but it was the same for everybody. An excellent job by all concerned.
  • Options

Hey the course was predominately flat - according to my garmin it was 50.9% flatimage

I thought it was a fantastically organised race Bob, esp enjoyed the company of the two women looking after the bags who kept me enterntained while I waited for my friend who was also running to finish.

BP - no that wasn't me in the East London vest (although I do live in east london and have been known to rant at cyclistsimage) I was in all black and was probably either running rather pathetically or walking muttering expletives when you would have over taken me.

Just did my first run since leicester and, apart from feeling like I was made of lead, all seems to be ok. Had a sports massage earlier in the week and it seems to have sorted out any problems I had with my achilles. I think if I wasn't such a pathetic woss when it comes to being petrified that any achilles pain will result in it tearing I could have pushed myself more on sundayimage Must try and steal some of that resolve that Ultra Mini obviously hasimage

• Options

Bob

You and your team did a fabulous job

Thank you