Options

FRESH'N'LO Great Scottish Run

Comments

• Options
    Looking forward to this one. Was a spectator last and the atmosphere inspired me to take up running. Also like the idea of running over the Kingston Bridge I've spent many a long evening stuck in traffic on the bridge trying to get home.
  • Options
    Grey Giant - don't expect to run over the bridge, you'll see it at about the same pace you do from your car! It is something else to run over, but it does get awfully congested if you're not one of the very front runners.

I've also been harassing the GSR team and have had the same 'ignored' then 'it's all crashed' reply. Maybe it's doing the Big Brother thing and going all female!

This is my favourite race by far - but I do hope they can avoid the Glasgow Green chaos of last year. Sure we all remember the invisible finish line and how difficult it was to cross the Green. Get these 2 things right and it would be the 'perfect' race.
  • Options
    Feel that the Kingstone Bridge and the Glasgow Green problems that you refer to Ian T let this race down but the atmosphere certainly doesn't. I did it in 05 and 06 however did fell that the price increase was a little harsh and still deciding whether to give this race a bash again.
  • Options
    Scottishharimau - I'm from the Scottish Borders, only five miles from sassenach country. I'm really not bothered about turning 40. I'm hoping for a nice holiday, presents, party, so on, so on......

I'm also running better than I ever have in my life. I must be losing that youthful exhubernace which meant that I always went off far too fast at the start of every race.

• Options
    Scottish - a little older -yes :) I was talking to 2 Bothwelites last night who are doing the NY marathon - racey wee place!

Cap'n - I'm not bothered about turning 40 either - I did it 15 years ago and have got kinda used to it.
    You from borders!! Did you do the Stranraer half on Saturday? A hilly wee run but I've no complaints - took 3min 13sec off PB, now at 1:44:47.

Ian T & CL - I agree wth your comments on the congestion and the finish, tho' I was in the green start last year and we did not have the stationary bits that the start in front of us suffered.

The GSR is still cheaper than the GNR by a good margin.
  • Options
    SFC - I'm from the east, Kelso to be precise. Stranraer msut be a godd 100 -150 miles from here so I didn't get across. Well done on your pb and for getting below that 1.45 mark. Like me, you are getting better with age!

• Options
    SFC - Well done on your PB, Bothewll has loads of runners, you should organize a social......

CH - I've done a bit of work in Kelso, company call Plexus.....

• Options
    Plexus is about 2 minutes from my house. I often run out that way up towards Yetholm abd Morebattle. There are some steep climbs as you head towards the Cheviots.
  • Options
    Scottish - yeah, lots of runners but they don't talk much. I always say hi to any runner I meet and recon I get a response from less than half. If I kept my mouth shut I doubt if anyone would talk - you find that?

CH - Bit of a hike from Kelso to Stranraer right enough, and not great roads. You doing your local Jedburgh half this year? I did it last year and aside from the bl**dy hill at m11 I enjoyed it. A nice friendly event.
  • Options
    I've actually only run the jed half once, which was in 2005. It falls on my sons birthday so I'm normally involved in some family thing. I'll work hard on my wife this year and see if I can be excused for a few hours.

Jed is quite a small event but it's okay. The course is quite hilly at the end. My running friends were saying it wasn't so good at the end last year in that they were slow in taking down your numbers. Hopefully they will ove with the times and get chip timing. We are a bit slow to move with the times in the Borders!
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    'morning...
    I'm not on the ' Who's entered', either,and beginning to wonder if I did apply....the age thing, you know..
    I can't find any kind of acknowledgement.Anyone else got one?
  • Options
    Nothing here either ATM. I sent in my application via post, still to check my Visa statement but I don't think it's off yet. I sent it in over a month ago.
  • Options
    Hi ATM
    I got an email from Scottish Athletics confirming my entry had been received. It still looks like the 'Who's entered' is still not updated with only female names shown - presumably those who did the joint entry with the 10k.
    At the 3rd time of asking they told me that there were problems with the entry download but that if I had received an acknowledgement then my entry was def in.
    Fire them off an email - the more the merrier!
  • Options
    CH - Jed not that small about 650 last year. I did not notice a problem at the finish but then I came in about 400th :)

I entered on line and the money came off the card the same day, 29th March!
  • Options
    My mum's name is on it but I don't appear in who's entered. I've got an email confirmation from Scottish Athletics though, so I guess it's just the runglasgow website needing updated.
  • Options
    See SFC, us Uddy people are sooooo much nicer, I always wheeze 'hello' to any runner I meet!!! Well done on your Stranraer time, I am not worthy!
  • Options
    Kara - Uddy / Both all the same to me. Plods usually cover whole area. You must be in the 'good' 50% :)
    I'll look out for you.... I'm not the guy who runs carrying weights, nor the one with the dog, nor with earphones in, nor the guy who runs on his toes...... local heros one and all!
  • Options
    The guy who carries weights always amazes me, I seem to see him everywhere. You forgot the one who obviously runs to/from work with his rucksack and woolly hat - unless, of course, you are him!!
  • Options
    Hi all! Did this last year and looking forward to this year's race. Has anyone looked at the training programmes on the website? The intermediate one seems to be aimed at 8 min miling or so - from last year's experience I wouldn't say that was representative! What do you guys reckon?
  • Options
    Smackie - 8 min miles gets you in at around 1.45. I think 1.45 - 2.00 hour mark will be the busiest finishing times so may be classified as Intermediate.I haven't seen the other training programmes but I would imagine Advanced would be under 1.25 and beginners aiming for 2.15? I'm only guessing. What time you hoping for?
  • Options
    LOL Kara - No! I'm not the wooly hat man either!

Smackie - I suppose you have to allow for the slow conjested bits at the start - so 8mm pace where you can might still bring you in well over the 1:45.
  • Options
    Nor the wee guy who looks and dresses like a boxer and does pressups on the grassy mounds along from the castle. :)
  • Options
    CH - I'm looking at probably 1.50-2 this year. Looking at last year's results, 1.45 brings you in in the top 25% so although it might not be really fast, I would say for this race it's not really what you would call intermediate... especially looking at the average glaswegian I see around me! Suppose that's why I was so surprised
  • Options
    I totally agree with you smackie. I hadn't realised that 1.45 would get you into the top 25%. Just from the few races I've watched I had the feeling that the busiest finishing time was between 1.45 and 2.00. Maybe with bigger fields like Glasgow there are more casual and first time runners which reduce the average time.

How is everybodys training going. We all hoping for pb's. I'm still post Edinburgh marathon so I've only had a couple of easy 5 mile runs in the last 10 days. I'm going out tomorrow night for another 5 and then maybe 7 at the weekend. After that I aim to get back to my usual three times a week training. I don't think I'll be running any more than 12 miles as a long run before Glasgow.
  • Options
    Agree with you guys on number of fun runners, there were stacks last year.

I found another half at Helensburgh on the 4th August.... couldn't resist... I lived there for a while and did the 10k 2 weeks ago, it was great.

Wrote on page 1 of my running log back in January GSR 1:45. Hope I can do it! I crept just under that for the Stranraer half but there was no conjestion there - hillier tho'!
  • Options
    SFC, get yourself up to the front of your pen for GSR. I did that at the Glasgow Women's 10k this year and last year and that way you miss a bit of congestion along the route.

I'm doing Loch Ness this year and have jiggled my schedule about a bit so I can do Glasgow (should be doing 20m that day!). I know some peeps have run the 10k then gone straight on in to the half, but now it starts in George Square again instead of the High Street, might not be so easy!
  • Options
    I doing Loch Ness as well. Glasgow always seems to just be a week out of fitting into the training schedule perfectly.

I never thought of doing the 10k and the half though. Might try that another year.
  • Options
    I'll be doing the Helensburgh half too. Had seen it mentioned in a few places, but no mention on the club website. I was starting to think it wasn't going to take place. The link (hopefully) is below.

http://helensburghaac.co.uk/

It fits into my half schedule just perfectly - I'll be following the RW sub 1:45 schedule, and looking to take a good few minutes off last year's 1h40m. Anyone else doing this schedule?
  • Options
    Evening all

Ive entered again for the 4th year on the trott.Love traveling up from Sunderland to do this half.Great run and great crack.Using this half as prep for mablethorpe marathon later in september.
  • Options
    Hi All

Debstir - get your point about the pens, but do they not police the number colours - last year was my first ever half and I was a bit overawed to take it in!

Ian - Helensburgh is my next race (unless something else comes along)and I am looking forward to it. I enjoyed their 10k recently - nice and flat!

Hi Mick - You bringing your white tracksuit up for the warmup again? :)
    I am returning the compliment and coming down later that month for your GNR - exciting stuff.

I am following them with the Aviemore Half - anybody else doing this one?