Options

Paris Marathon 2008

Comments

• Options
    Starting my training plan today!
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Good luck, Running Trout! * Go on, tell us...which one? *

Rubble, I thought ' strides' were the ' throw-back-your-shoulders-and -march' type of walking so beloved of my distant schooldays. I still walk like that. No wonder my ' striding' during training runs was a welcome break ...

• Options

Um, apologies if this doesn't work but I'll now attempt to cut & paste my training programme just for a laugh.  If it doesn't just ignore me, or we can talk about French wine or something.

w/cMonTueWedThuFriSatSun17th Dec4mtrack4m12mx10m 4T18m24th Dec4mXmas Day4m MP12mx8m 4T19m31st Dec5mNew Year5m MP13mxXC20m7th Jan5m12/6 MP5m11mx10m MP12m*14th Jan4mtrack4m9mx6m easyDartford 1021st Jan6mtrack6m13mxXC20m28th Jan6mtrack6m13mx10m MP22m4th Feb4mtrack4m8mx6m easy12m*11th Feb6mtrack6m14mxXC22m18th Feb6mtrack6m14mx13.1m MP23m25th Feb4mtrack4m9mx6m easyMK Half3rd Mar6mtrack6m15mx13.1m MP23m10th Mar6mtrack6m15mx6m easy20m race17th Mar5mtrack5m10mx10m MP14m24th Mar4mtrack4m8mx4m easy10k race31st Mar3mspin6m MP4mxxALLEZ!

• Options

M*rde!

OK, just use it as a random number table then.  image

Alternatively does anyone know any means of porting an Excel spreadsheet over to the interweb?  Can you tell I'm not technical?

• Options
    PhilP - Try importing it into word as a table, change table to text with tabs then cut & paste.
  • Options
    PP - try Google Docs.  You can import an Excel spreadsheet up there and then even edit it online.
  • Options
    Cheers guys.  Barry - I've uploaded the spreadsheet to google docs (blimey, google does everything these days...)  Persumably I can now share the url for viewing without the document being editable by anyone else?
  • Options
    Strides is Aussie for trousers, ATM. As in "Strewth, that blokes got no strides on................"
  • Options

Just been for a 6.5 mile run...first run for 4 days due to a bad cold and exam revision. OMG i felt the break, i felt really heavy (well i am quite heavy, but you know) and my muscles felt tired even though they havent been used! i even got the dreaded "how the heck am i gonna do this marathon?" thoughts. i thought i was 10min miling but when i mapped it turned out i was 8.56min miling so at least that's a bonus. might try again tonight - the second run of the day is always great i find!

Philp - thanks for the random number generator image

• Options
  • Options
    That's a lot of miles on that list PP.  For your midweek runs are they planned to be easy/conversational pace?  Track sessions I'm going to guess will be speed work.  I was also thinking about doing the Oakley 20M race but I'm not sure how easy it will be to get there due to my lack of driving ability (it's also a long way from Newcastle)
  • Options

MM - sounds to me like you've done everything right with your training approach so far, even if you're not that experienced.  Stuff 'em.  Just follow the programme - listen to your body (you'll feel it talking to you at some stage!), take time off if you need it and then email the club with your fab Paris time on Monday April 7th, along with a few choice words.

Allons-y! 

• Options
    hey guys....any of u know any good sites to still get a place in the paris 2008 marathon?  I believe some tour company's hold several places and sell them as part of a package.  Thnx!
  • Options
    PP, ur mileage seems a bit out on the weeks you go skiing. Or you planning on going off piste on some runs image
  • Options

Barry - 

Monday & Wednesday are just 30-40min treadmill at an easy pace after a gym work-out.

'Track' is speed work, yes. My main training partner at the club is doing London so we'll work out suitable sessions as we go along.  Mainly 800s up to mile intervals I guess.

Thursdays I've started doing as a progressive run, starting out just a touch faster than the weekend LR, building to something like marathon pace towards the end.  To be honest I'm a little undecided how to split up race pace and tempo runs over the Thursday and Saturday sessions, although I'll probably keep the Thursday runs closer to easy pace/75% HR while the mileage is still building up.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Hooch, can you help kalp nanda? What was the name of that guy you went with last year?

If you don't get a tour place, kn, what about a  charity one or, like I mentioned, the JI sale.

• Options
    asics - oops, well observed!!  The mileage totals were put together before I booked my ski trip.  As it happens I will be taking my running shoes with me although I won't lose any sleep if they don't get used.  On this year's trip, snow conditions were pretty awful on a couple of days, so I gave up at lunchtime and popped along to the resort's shiny gym for a couple of treadmill sessions.  Hopefully this year it will be a winter wonderland and I'll just have a solid week of cross-training.
  • Options

kalp - You best bet is http://www.getkidsgoing.com/paris_marathon.htm

They seem to have loads of runners places and they charge £90 for a place and you raise whatever you can.

I am running for them although I have my own place as I am sure I can raise a few quid, and I like the team idea.

Mind you there web site is rubbish, why spend all that money on pay per click and then not be able to join online. Typical non joined up thinking from a charity.

• Options
    For Kalp Nanda has anyone got that coach trip link?
  • Options

great....thanks guys!  I'll check out the getkidsgoing.com site. 

-Kalp

• Options
    PP, pretty good plan though image
  • Options

Hi all

Hope everyone is gearing up for the Christmas period training and warm-ups before most schedules kick in.  V impressed with some of the training already being done on here.

Back from my 'Challenge' week in Lanzarote and this work thing is so hard now.  Roll on Fri 21st is what I say...

Artful Hen - yes it was Club La Santa.  You really must go, you'd love it.  I've been 8 times having ran the Challenge week seven times (4 races in 4 days of mixed terrain) and the London Marathon training week once when I was doing my first London.  Don't know what I would do the last week in November anymore in the UK as I am so used to going there now.  It really is an event for any level of runner - check the results on www.clublasanta.com and it gives you an idea of age groups etc.  You can also go there for non-event weeks though and although I've always gone with the idea to compete, I was thinking of maybe doing a training week before Paris, if I can find 2 others to cover accommodation costs.  I did slightly better than last year, which was good as I was ill the whole holiday!  Couldn't believe it, I haven't been sick for 2 years and then this cough/cold think settled in and I had to go with it.  Managed to complete all the event but probably only as I was sharing with 3 others, one of whom is a GP and she kindly gave me some prescription-only ibruprofen which did the trick.  We also managed a team Triathlon (I did the run) and a team Aquathlon (400 swim, 3k run) and I did the swim.  All in all, a really good 11 days away with lots of abilities, very good social scene, (lots of the same clubs/people go each year) and thoroughly enjoyable.  You don't always get the weather as you probably know from staying at your house, but it was warm enough this year.  Last year I ran the Marathon too 3 days after the Challenge and did a PB!  Running can be quite strange at times eh!  (Did you know that Dan Robinson won  the Challenge in 2003 and he ended up in Athens the following year!

Good to see everyone's planned races - chosen my 20's Bramley and Oakley That Bramley one looks incredibly fast judging by last year's results - must be a pancake flat course.  Oakley has always been too close to any marathon I have ran in the past but next year, there is a 3 week gap I think so will do that.

Not sure on other distances yet though. As always, will try and avoid as many 10ks as I possibly can!

• Options

E r - Hate to break this to you but word from another thread is that Bramley has been cancelled.  I've earmarked Oakley myself although not committed yet as I'm still weighing up my options. This year I raced the Worthing 20, three weeks before London and it was a real confidence booster.

Must admit I like the sound of Club La Santa meself!

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

I have a question..

My max. HR is 190..taken about a year ago. I wore my HRM tonight, on hills, and reached a max of 176/93%. I was really giving it my all, felt sick etc.

On Sunday, about 10 k into a LSR, I took a wrong turning and lost my partner. I was concerned for her because of the route and very concerned that she would be concerned about me. Instead of heading her off cross-country, I doubled back and tried to make up about 4 kms. I certainly was puting an effort in but there's no way I was running flat out. Of course I began to realise I'd never catch her, she'd be worried at the end of the run etc, etc.

* the question's coming...*

Can anxiety/adrenalin really push the HR up further and faster than my best physical effort?

• Options

well did it? were you wearing your HRM on the long run?

I'd say it can. Adrenaline is a survival mechanism designed to push you to the extreme.

Also personally, I can suffer from my trachea closing up when I run really hard to my max, but this only happens when I feel panicky about something (eg once i was running really late and knew my housemate would be waiting up for me to let me in the house) - ie adrenaline. I think the adrenaline pushes me that little bit too far and my trachea says "stop now please".

The best bet is to not take the wrong turning image 

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Thanks, Victoria. Yes, I was wearing the HRM .I was just surprised at the figures..I ' felt' the physical effort of tonight's hills but I thought my Sunday concerns were just ' in my head'. Seems they were in my body, too.

OK. It's the 'quiet life' tablets for me from now on...and a closer look at the map.

• Options
    wow, it was chilly this morning. Had to spray de-icer on myself when I got back from my run image
  • Options
    Dying to get out there today... have SOOOOO much work to get done by the end of the week. image
  • Options
    Chilly?!  I discovered a new definition of irony last night.  After my interval session on the track (4x400, 2x1600) it was so cold I struggled to get my gloves back on!
  • Options
    now that is ironic. Why did you take them off in the 1st place image