Options

Paris Marathon 2008

Comments

• Options

Thanks BR - I knew that out of East Hull and Spen one was hilly and one was flat but couldn't remember which way round it was!

BK - I did London / Edinburgh combo this year (5 weeks between) and was absolutely fine, more than fine, knocked 8 mins off my time! Everyone is different of course. I just made sure I was fully recovered and was sensible.  ("sensible" - somebody needs to remind me what that word means! I know it shouldn't be applied to running 2 marathons only 1 week apart this time.... hmmmm)

• Options
    12 1/2 miles at -4 at 5am this morning brrrrrrrrrr. I actually quite enjoyed it image Then took the dog out for a walk. Were you out this morning Nev?

Christmas party tonight. Not going to be wild as I've got work tomorrow.
  • Options

I was Neil, but only a 8 miler. Had team Xmas party lastnight, but was sensible, and home by 11:30pm.

It was a bit fresh this morning I must say image

• Options
    What, no Vodka & Red Bull?image Are you getting old Nev?
  • Options
    I have just been to my doctors to try and get this medical certificate to send off to Paris organisers. Its a bit of a saga, isnt it. I went to see a doctor at the same practice last week but she wanted me to speak to my 'own' doctor - although I didnt know who that was because I never need to go to the surgery. So today my doctor took my blood pressure and pulse and listened with his stethescope (??), tapped my back several times - then said I would have to book in for a routine ECG in next few weeks. Is everyone having to go to same efforts?
  • Options
    SM - I've not got that far yet.  I'm still waiting for my medical records to be transferred from my old surgery in Sheffield to my new one in Newcastle before they'll see me for a medical.  It sounds like some people have doctors who are runners and the process for them has been a breeze.  Are you being charged for all of this?
  • Options
    I haven't actually asked about any charge. My doctor definitely isnt a runner - he said he gets out of breathe jogging down the corridor which isnt a great advert is it. I guess I understand the nervousness about signing a letter that says I'm healthy in these days of litigation.
  • Options
    Neil, as mentioned before, not much of a drinker like you image But did have a few last Sat at Xmas party.
    Back to tea-tottalling now....ok, not quite
  • Options
    I was charged £15 for my med cert/letter image
  • Options

You got off lightly. I rang to get mine and as I hadn't been to the surgery for anything in the last 6 months I had to make an appointment. Checked me out for about 5 minutes, signed the letter for me ( there's a standard one on the Florence marathon which I'd signed up for but deferred to 2008 as felt my body was too tired after the season) and it was EUR55, Thank you very much! Mind you, planning to use the same one for Paris as it was only 2 or 3 months ago.

5.5M this morning (about 8.9km for our metric friends). It was cool but not as cold as it seems to have been for you guys. Kind of regretted not wearing gloves for the first five minutes, then was fine. Felt very comfortable. Running partner was struggling a bit, fighting off some kind of bug at the moment.

• Options
    Ouch! I will stop moaning about the £15
  • Options

nev - did you have much of a medical for your £15?

orca - ouch.  €55 seems a lot for a 5 min chat.  Which country was that in? 

• Options
    Last year mine was £15 and it seemed like they gave me the full works, blood samples, blow in the tube thingy, lie down with 30 electrodes attached for 20 mins, get up, treadmill 10 mins, blow in tube thingy again. This year, Doc looked at the screen when I asked for another letter and said yes, no tests, nada. So I reckon it's a standard one off MOT type thing for folks of a certain age bracket, and I might not get another for another 15 years perhaps?

• Options

Barry,

Not really. Blood pressure, resting heart rate, weight, height, stethoscope. That was about it. Certainly no ECG.
    But then all the letter says is that he can see no contra-indications why I cannot do a marthon, or similiar.

• Options
    oh, also did the peak flow thing...blow in tube
  • Options

BK, It was Ireland!

Any visit to my GP costs that, doesn't seem to matter how minor or short.

• Options

Just emerging from two days' continual, not-even-getting-outside-the-house work followed by two days doing 3 weeks worth of Christmas prep.  Am so in awe of the 5am running crew!  Sorry to hear about all the lurgies.  Hope this cold snap of weather kills off a few bugs.

I did speed session around the rec field yesterday morning - lovely, sunny weather... slow, crap running.  Had to do 3 x 1600 and only managed an average of 7.40.  That's not exactly slow for me, but considering my last 10k average pace was 8.00 and half of that was into a gale force wind, I don't know why I could hardly manage a mile at 7.30ish... Still, I was puffing like mad at the end so I must have worked hard.

Then a bike ride this morning in the most amazing hard frost.  Stunning.  But some of the icy hills were tough because my wheels kept slipping backwards. Couldn't have been without the buff today - kept my nose, ears and breath warm. God knows what I must have looked like with the buff pulled up over my face, then a bike helmet on top!

Looking forward to long run of 12 miles tomorrow.

Interesting listening to chat about Paris then Edinburgh.  Tutu knows I'm quite keen on that combo... I'd like to break 4 hrs in Paris, but if I didn't, the idea of another crack at it from the same training period may appeal.  Then if I got into NY I could relax and enjoy.

• Options

My GP said I could have an ECG if I wanted, but did the letter anyway.  For free.

Hilly - the South Downs marathon's near me. Lovely countryside, isn't it?  Am sure you didn't really concentrate on the view if you were going hard enough to win! I do some of the course every now and again.

• Options

Rest day today.

Not sure if it will be 14 or 16 tomorrow. Been feeling a little tired and have a lot of Christmas preparations to do and as we have over 15 weeks to go, I might just do 14 tomorrow.

Finishing up at work today for the Christmas and as I'll probably be on the forum a lot less between now and January 2nd I'll take the opportunity to wish you all a very merry Christmas and an injury free 2008 full of wonderful runs and personal bests.

Orla (aka Orca)

• Options

I 2nd that. Have a awesome Christmas, and a prosperous 2008 to all.
    I fly to sunny SA for a few weeks today, and will be doing a nice few runs while out there.

Have a good one

Nev

• Options
    Have a great Christmas Nev. Get those runs in but don't forget to relax. See you in the new year for further assaults on the Cotswold Way image

Have a great Christams everybody.
  • Options
    Shortest day tomorrow.  Then it gets lighter imageimageimage
  • Options

Merry Christmas to all of you who are heading off (or finishing work today and therefore not feeling the need to skive). 

• Options

Happy Christmas to all you bods and which ever god you worship be safe.

Love and respect to you all.

• Options
    Thanks Neil, you too.
    Most definitely going to assault the Cotswold Way in a BIG way next year image
  • Options

A word of advice for your marathon training: don't break your arm!

I did just that 17 days ago and couldn't run until last night. To be honest, it was little stupid to go out so soon after the break (it won't be fully healed until 6 weeks), but I can almost feel my muscles wasting away!

I must have looked a bit strange swinging one arm while keeping the other stock still, but felt good to be on the road again. Was planning to run a couple of miles and see how I felt, but actually managed 6.5 in the end and the arm felt fine. Sweet!

Even taking the arm into consideration, I was definitely slower than before. Hope it doesn't take too long to get back to previous fitness levels, especially as my schedule's starting to get serious (14 miler this weekend, but think I'll cut that short).

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

image Shopping done, daughter flying home this evening,2 sons already here and another enroute...

And it's one of those fabulous sunny/frosty afternoons!

• Options
    Sounds painful PL.  Is your arm in a cast or just in a sling?
  • Options

BK, it did smart a little! At least I broke it in a seasonal way - ice skating. The medic at the rink convinced me i'd just pulled a muscle and said a week's rest should sort it out. Turn's out I'd cracked a bone in my elbow and there was a risk i'd need an operation (thankfully it looks like that won't be necessary now).

Because it's in my elbow they didn't want to put it in a cast, but I should really be keeping it very still - I figure the odd light jog is ok though.

• Options

Hey all,

Ran Paris this year and will be doing so again this coming year but this time as part 1 of 6 in the 6 nations rugby type marathon tour.

Any ideas for a February marathon in either England, Wales or Ireland or indeed any at all in Ireland through the year because the only one we have managed to find so far is Dublin and we fancied doing some more obscure and countryside scenic ones?

I think the South Devon Coastal sounds a bit too ambitious for us so any other suggestions would be grand!

Thanks for your ideas!