Options

Paris Marathon 2008

Comments

• Options

Sounds like a lovely run M Man. No running for me since TUESDAY this week, terrible!! But my training prog starts on Monday (16 weeks) so decided to enjoy the luxury of being able to skip days without feeling too guilty yet.

My news is - I ended up not being able to resist and accepted a charity place for FLM!!!!  I know doing it a week after Paris is pretty crazy, but I can't help but crave the challenge of doing 2 so close.. will still aim for a PB at Paris and not worry about time for London, especially if I can feel I have not recovered as much as I would like to.

Sounds like all of you are following programmes already!  Are you all doing 18 week ones? I think 16 weeks is long enough for me, it worked this year anyway.  However, less than a week into it this time, I am going on holiday for 2 weeks, so that might screw things up a bit but taking running gear with me and will try to stick to it as best I can.  

• Options
    I managed the 'go slow' run earlier in the year with a heart rate monitor, keep your pulse under 125 - that sort of thing. Well... the easiest run I do is along a flat, coastal promenade where people like to stroll, but it is soooo hard to stay at a slow pace when it's taking ages, absolutely ages, to overtake walkers in front of you, and... you can hear them sniggering about how slow you are, for ages after you'd normally have left them behind. I really don't like the slow ones.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Why not try and find a quieter place to run then, J2JJ if you're not enjoying the slow ones?  I expect most people are envious that you're out there having a run, when they most probably couldn't run 100m.

Barnsleyrunner (preferential)
    Hilly (preferential)
    Robert 3062 (Red)
    PhilPub 3254 (Red)
    Riel Carol 4772 (Rouge)
    B Rubble 7070 (Yellow)
    Dark Vader 7171 (Yellow)

Rowan (9444) (yellow)

Graham 12142 (Blue)
    Nathan 12155 (Blue)
    Park Laner 12376 (Blue)
    Barry 12868 (Blue)
    Economical Runner (13235) Blue
    Grant Cunningham (13390) Blue
    Straitjacket (13358) Blue
    Barry Knaggs 14168 (Blue)
    Ribs (Rowena) 14132 (Blue)
    Adie14507(Blue)
    Shiva (Blue)
    TW 17986 (Blue
    ll (Blue)gulp!
    Burner 24421 (Purple)
    J3ff 24291 (Purple) going for sub 4 this time!!
    IWDI 24433 (Purple) - with 69 Litre water tank and bus pass
    OutFoxed 24016(Purple)
    Boyler 24474(Purple)
    Jimbus 24085 (Purple)
    haggisinlondon (24889) Purple
    Tutu Much 28799 (Purple)
    Twosorefeet (33372) Green
    ATM 32094 Green ( former Pink with go-faster-stripes)
    minxinparis (33263)Green
    Victoria 38240 (Green)
    Artful Hen 39292 (Green)
    Angelique 38805 (Green- colour of Hope they say!!!).

chocsin77 39649 (Green)
    Treiziste 42050 Pink (Very manly shade of with glitter...)
    Caroline 42081 Pink (I like Girly Pink)
    Ms Plod 42108 (Rose)
    Weegie 42123 (Pink)
    Mrs Weegie 42134 (Pink)
    Meysey Man (43201) Pink
    Dalesgirl (43656) Pink
    Redruth (43806) Pink
    asics_nev (9306) Yellow
    Halo
    Scott S

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Good for you, Tutu! That's quite a challenge...Who are you running for? Are you going to set up a ' justgiving' page? I'm sure you could screw a few bob out of us image

I had no trouble running slow this morning. My legs have not recovered from last Tuesday's aerobics and it was a real plod.

• Options

Aw thanks ATM, may well try and 'screw a few bob' out of you lot here! image Running for a small charity called Hearing Concern, who, unsurprisingly help the deaf and hard of hearing.. will set up a justgiving page in Jan and post link and stuff then...

I am dying to go for a run this morning!! But my OH and I are having a pretend 'Xmas Day' with presents and dinner and stuff today as we'll be away for 2 weeks over xmas and can't take presents away... and as training starts tomorrow I guess I can be patient and wait til tomorrow to run. *sigh* 

• Options

I had a lovely Sunday run with the club through the moors.  Stunning.  Followed up by a bacon sarnie and mulled wine.  What more could I ask for?!!

Shiva, I reckon it would be a good idea to look into booking somewhere the night before Paris.  Perhaps we should get a list going to get an idea of numbers and then you can use your best French to find a restaurant that will let us all in?????? 

List for Pre PB meal........

I'm in.......

• Options
    ShivaShiva ✭✭✭

Had a tough run today, was too tired really.  Went to gig on friday and party on sat so have only had a few hours sleep all weekend.  Managed 8 mies, with each mile faster than the one before.  Started at 9 min miles and finished on 7 30 mm.  My proper training starts next week, coinciding with the start of the school hols.  I will contact that restaurant and see what they say, I do know a couple of others as well.

Who else is up for a meal on the sat night?

RIBS
    Shiva

• Options
    I pickled my liver in Jamesons last night at the rowing club christmas party so no run for me today - just slow movements from bed to sofa and back again. What a waste, as the weather was smashing here.

Meal on Saturday night sounds good - I should be able to face food by then.....

RIBS
    Shiva
    Chocsin77
  • Options

I'm with you chocsin77, did the same as you at Xmas party, and only got to bed at 6am, and up at 9:30. Those Vodka & Red Bulls are the devils work image Had intentions of running this morning while up at Celtic Manor, but sadly was not possible. So up at 5am tomorrow for my LSR.

RIBS
    Shiva
    Chocsin77
    asics_nev

• Options
    I can't remember the list of drinks quaffed last night, but I do remember walking home listening to birdsong. But... I forced myself to go out for five miles at 8.30 this morning, not the fastest I've done 9 min/miles but it felt good.
    Food on Sat is a definite possibility. I'll have the better half with me as well so it's a

RIBS
    Shiva
    Chocsin77
    asics_nev
    J3ff + 1
  • Options

Hope the long runs went well.  Mine was a bit of a slog today but my legs did feel tired after a good week's training.

Monday - 8 / 5
    Tuesday - 4.5 / 11 inc 6 x 150 sprints + 5 miles@ 80% MHR
    Wednesday - 4 / 7
    Thursday - 5
    Friday 12 inc 6 x 100m sprints + 7 miles @ 80% MHR
    Saturday - 11xc / 4
    Sunday - 2 / 15

88 miles for the week.  Base coming together ok but already I'm looking forward to the next down weekimage

• Options

Good to see you throwing your hat in for this one Rowan.  There's still time to work up to 3:15, three months of decent training should do it.

Nev, Vodka & Red Bull, you deserve to feel bad after that!

BR - Impressive mileage.  I did 59 miles last week and really felt it on my 17 mile LSR yesterday, especially as I finished in the dark.  I'm not quite up to doubles yet, but hoping by Feb/March to have the stamina to do two good sessions in a day.  Then I need to reorganise my time to get them inimage

I'm up for the meal, plus my girlie entourage of wife + two daughters. So I've put the two lists below.

Pre - Race Meal 
    RIBS
    Shiva
    Chocsin77
    asics_nev
    J3ff + 1
    BRubble + 3

Runners
    Barnsleyrunner (preferential)
    Hilly (preferential)
    Robert 3062 (Red)
    PhilPub 3254 (Red)
    Riel Carol 4772 (Rouge)
    B Rubble 7070 (Yellow)
    Dark Vader 7171 (Yellow)
    asics_nev (9306) Yellow
    Rowan (9444) (yellow)
    Graham 12142 (Blue)
    Nathan 12155 (Blue)
    Park Laner 12376 (Blue)
    Barry 12868 (Blue)
    Economical Runner (13235) Blue
    Grant Cunningham (13390) Blue
    Straitjacket (13358) Blue
    Barry Knaggs 14168 (Blue)
    Ribs (Rowena) 14132 (Blue)
    Adie14507(Blue)
    Shiva (Blue)
    TW 17986 (Blue
    ll (Blue)gulp!
    Burner 24421 (Purple)
    J3ff 24291 (Purple) going for sub 4 this time!!
    IWDI 24433 (Purple) - with 69 Litre water tank and bus pass
    OutFoxed 24016(Purple)
    Boyler 24474(Purple)
    Jimbus 24085 (Purple)
    haggisinlondon (24889) Purple
    Tutu Much 28799 (Purple)
    Twosorefeet (33372) Green
    ATM 32094 Green ( former Pink with go-faster-stripes)
    minxinparis (33263)Green
    Victoria 38240 (Green)
    Artful Hen 39292 (Green)
    Angelique 38805 (Green- colour of Hope they say!!!).
    chocsin77 39649 (Green)
    Treiziste 42050 Pink (Very manly shade of with glitter...)
    Caroline 42081 Pink (I like Girly Pink)
    Ms Plod 42108 (Rose)
    Weegie 42123 (Pink)
    Mrs Weegie 42134 (Pink)
    Meysey Man (43201) Pink
    Dalesgirl (43656) Pink
    Redruth (43806) Pink

Halo
    Scott S

• Options
    thanks for the sympathy Neil. My 1st decent drink this year. Didn't actually feel bad at all, just tired image due to 3 hrs sleep. Did my LSR this morning at 5am, but only 12 miles. Will probably do a 6 miler tonight to get the weeks mileage on track.
  • Options
    Yes I'm in for a pre race meal. My training hasn't gone well over the weekend. Have followed it all week and then I have had such a migraine over the weekend, I didn't do my 6 miles yesterday. Luckily this is a 16 week programme and I started it a week early so I will re-do the 1st week again this week.

Pre - Race Meal
    RIBS
    Shiva
    Chocsin77
    asics_nev
    J3ff + 1
    Caroline + 1
    BRubble + 3

• Options

Yes I would love to join a pre race meal.

Just me myself and 1

• Options

Morning folks,

Sounds like some good training happened over the weekend.

I got 5 and 11 done on Sat and Sun making 27 for the week.  Feeling pretty good about how things have started.  Long run yesterday ended with me feeling like I could go on so hopefully this means I'm sorting out my pacing issues.

Hilly - must have been pretty cold where you were running.  I managed to escape with only my thighs burning.  Is anyone else still running in shorts?  I've noticed here in Newcastle most people seem to be running in tracksuit bottoms or running tights at the moment. 

Pre - Race Meal
    RIBS
    Shiva
    Chocsin77
    asics_nev
    J3ff + 1
    BRubble + 3
    Caroline + 1
    MeyseyMan + 1
    Barry Knaggs

• Options

Sorry I am alone in paris, no partner. Should have typed, "me, myself and I". An old Billie Holiday song, then covered by Joan Armatrading, or for you young ones, Beyonce

Yes I am still running in shorts. Got the hat and gloves though. Cannot believe runners not running with hats. I need one to to keep my ears warm.

• Options

MM - wasn't sure if you were meaning that song or not.  List changed.  I don't run with a hat.  My hair is currently covering the tops of my ears so that keeps them pretty warm.  Couldn't leave the house without gloves though.

Pre - Race Meal
    RIBS
    Shiva
    Chocsin77
    asics_nev
    J3ff + 1
    BRubble + 3
    Caroline + 1
    MeyseyMan
    Barry Knaggs

• Options
    tights, hat and gloves for me
  • Options
    Bet it was a bit cold at 5am Nev.
  • Options
    I'm doing tomorrow morning, I'll get the snow shoes ready..............
  • Options
    good idea. My skating skills are better than I thought
  • Options

Pre - Race Meal
    RIBS
    Shiva
    Chocsin77
    asics_nev
    J3ff + 1
    BRubble + 3
    Caroline + 1
    MeyseyMan
    Barry Knaggs

Tutu Much

Artful Hen

AH - let me know if this isn't ok with you for any reason!!! image

Why does it always give 2 spaces when I press return?!

• Options

Hi all!

Yes, have various xmas plans in the evenings this week, so some of my runs may be first thing before work again. Does slow you down a bit if you're running on ice!!

Barnsley Runner, to me that looks pretty incredible, keep up the good work.

Chocsin, I've just got my early xmas present - a Garmin 305! A couple of people have put towards it for my xmas pressie, and I paid the rest, I ordered it from a certain well-known retailer on Friday, next day delivery... image) Didn't have it in time for Saturday's run, but took it out for a spin on a nice 8 mile run along the river yesterday. So much data going on! It's great though, already, and I don't know the half of it yet. Seeing your pace as you go is very useful, as I find that hard to judge. And having an accurate idea of how far you've gone is great. The device itself is quite large, but it doesn't feel heavy at all, and fits well, even though I have quite small wrists. Not got the measure yet of heart rates, but my resting heart rate is 55-60. I've downloaded Sporttracks, but not had the chance to try it out yet.

• Options
    Why does it always give 2 spaces when I press return?!  - Hold down shift when you press return Tutu, then you won't get the double space
  • Options

Philpub

You were right about the Bramley 20 - checked the Reading RR's site and it is cancelled.  I usually do the Bury 20 at the end of Feb but wanted to hit 20 before that this time. Will source another.

One of my clubmates as you ran Worthing last year and did v well.  Think it is far too close to Paris next year from what he said though.

And you should go to Club La Santa - even if not running - sports galore...!

• Options

Had a good long run on Saturday at 7am in tights and hat but no gloves needed. Did 14.5M. Just over 30M for the week. Did 40Km on the bike yesterday to spin out the legs, nearly froze. Had a biting wind against me for much of it.

BR couldn't believe your mileage, I'll barely cover that in two weeks at peak mileage!!!

Count me and my runner partner in for the meal. Hubbie can't make this trip image

Pre - Race Meal
    RIBS
    Shiva
    Chocsin77
    asics_nev
    J3ff + 1
    BRubble + 3
    Caroline + 1
    MeyseyMan
    Barry Knaggs
    Tutu Much
    Artful Hen
    Orca + 1

• Options

I cant find tights in my size.

Too short and 2 fat. 38 waist and 29 legs.

We all know that all runners are 5.10' and 32" waist Except this one of course. Looks like I will carry on wearing my football shorts.

• Options
    haha MM. You could always waer track bottoms image