Options

Paris Marathon 2008

Comments

• Options
    Think Chocolate milk is pretty good too. Not a fan of dairy, so I have Soya Choc milk post long-run.
  • Options

Should we not be following the ethos of the drinks available on the day in Paris, and be drinking wine while we run? image

Speed session tonight for me, not my favourite... Still, yesterday resting so feel up for it. But that reminds me, speed sessions being on Tuesday means I'll be sprinting about on xmas day! Oh well, will build up an appetite.

My OH is also catching the running bug, she's going to do some monthly 5k time trials in the first half of next year, then maybe some 10ks later in the year, so I'm putting together a 3 day a week schedule for her. May enter her into a race to keep her on her toes! image

• Options

BK, you should definitely give Tri a go. Great Fun.

My running partner was sick this morning do I had to do my 7M this morning by myself. Didn't really feel like trekking around for 70+ minutes(I dream of being able to run 8.25min/mile pace, let alone calling it slow!!!)  by myself in the dark so opted for the treadmill. Did 5km on the treadmill first and then did the "Cheetah Fast" Runerval DVD. Does anyone else use these? They're DVD workouts for the treadmill. It's about the only way I know to make myself do a hard session if I'm alone. Have to say, I find them great. Sweated Buckets, almost felt like a real runner!

• Options
    I would love to do a Tri. Gonna get myself a decent bike this year then maybe get some swimming coaching. Where is the time going to come from?
  • Options

Yeah, I have plans to do a tri, possibly working towards an ironman, in the future. But the running alone is quite time consuming, I'd have to be pretty inventive to also fit in swimming and cycling regularly enough to manage it!

Orca, I've not used those DVDs but then I've never been on a treadmill either!

• Options

Went on a treadmill for the 1st time in over 18 months at the weekend, while up at Xmas party.
    Found it tough going, really dull image

• Options

What sort of Treadmill have you got Orca or do you go to a gym?  I would so love a treadmill for Christmas from Santa...no idea where I would put it but would love one anyway!

16 week schedule underway. I am using the RW sub 4.30, I'm jiggling it around a bit the next two weeks due to impending visit from Santa.  Super run yesterday morning, 7.98m around my local deerpark, felt good if not a little cold...naturally I forgot my gloves.  Bit worried that as I knock out the longer distances my knees ache, anyone go to a good physio in the North Yorkshire area?

I am considering doing the East Hull 20 in the first week of March, anyone else using this approach to lever themselves into a BIG race situation?  I thought it was a good idea but if I have to pull out and limp home it'll be one hell of a trek!

• Options
    The East Hull 20 sounds interesting.  It's the first mention of a 20 mile race that isn't down south so I might have a chance of doing it.
  • Options
    Dalesgirl - can't Santa wait until you've been for your run?
  • Options
    yeah, gotta do a Christmas day run image
  • Options
    A christmas day run, with a 2 yo and a 6 yo it'll be all hands on deck...any mention of a run and I'd be headed for the divorce courts!
  • Options
    lol. I have a 5 and 9 yr old. Reckon I will do my run in the afternoon a couple hours after lunch image
  • Options
    I'll have eaten and drunk far too much by that point...although with the impending chaos it sounds like a lovely idea...I'll be Dr Who'd by lunch time.
  • Options
    exactly, great excuse to escape the chaos image
  • Options

Enjoying day 2 of marathon training - a rest day, hurrah!  Last night's 5 miles were very pleasant, felt quite hyper with it being day 1 of training, lots of marathon talk amongst myself and others in the club doing London / Paris. Hurrah!

Dalesgirl - I was talking to someone about East Hull last night, yes I may well do it. Will see how it fits into the schedule but must be due around 20 by then.  Planning on doing Spen 20 on the 16th March.  Just worried I'll get all competitive and 'race' them instead of treating them like training runs.. but would be great to not have to worry about a route and have some different terrain!  What's East Hull like,do you know?  

Running club xmas meal tonight and not even decided what to wear yet, eek!

Happy Running everyone... will be interesting to see how many of us get out on Xmas day - I know I'm down to be but.... we'll see! 

• Options
    No kids in my house, just going to be me and my OH, and our cat. Planning on doing mine early, don't really fancy having a big lunch with that ahead of me... Then I can tuck in to a glass of sherry with a clear conscience! image
  • Options

would also prefer to run early, but have this funny feeling the kids may be up before me image

Last year I went out around 5pm, well after lunch had settled. But then I will be in sunny SA, so the temp will be a chilly 28 deg C, or therabouts

• Options

Dalesgirl, I have a Proform 790 treadmill. Does the job fine. Have never used it for a Long run, at least, nothing over 8 miles. It can be quite boring but I'm lucky in that my husband told me a couple of years ago that I couldn't bring another piece of fitness equipment into the house until we built a gym, so we built a gym. It's only about the size of a garage but it has a TV and DVD player. Makes life on the treadmill a lot more interesting.

There's a Christmas Day run of about 4 or 5 miles in my local town. Wasn't sure if I'd do it though as I'm doing my first 10M race ever the day after. However I am only planning to run the 10M comfortably as I just want to lay down a marker for the distance as I have 3 more 10M races before Paris so the 26th will be my "comfort" one. So, I haven't decided about the Christmas Day run yet but like BM, all I have to worry about is my OH and our cat (see my picture).

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Just back from dead slow 7kms * thinking Metric , getting into the zone...  * The hard ground frost hasn't lifted all day and the going was slippy...I'd forgotten what winter runs were like.

I'll definitely be up and out on Christmas morning. Those hyper kids grow into great lunks who can sleep 'til noon,Christmas Day or not.  image I'll be back before they surface.

• Options
    Had six cold and now a bug, what winter runs.
  • Options

East Hull 20 is a very flat course.  I've done it 4 times and it's been blowing a gale each time!

It is a good exercise at pacing yourself and being on your feet a long time.  As it's only 4 weeks out from Paris I would counsel against trying to race it (still less race the Spen 20 3 weeks out as it is a very very hilly course).

• Options
    I think that's very good advice BR. I was slow in New York as I had raced Leicester Marathon three weeks before and Stroud Half two weeks before. As I had targeted Leicester I wasn't too disappointed but I was surprised how much it affected me.
  • Options
    Think it was more the sight-seeing and shopping that affected you Neil, never mind the lack of sleep ;-)
  • Options
    Do people think seven weeks is enough time to recover in between marathons?  The idea of running the Edinburgh marathon has planted itself in my mind and it's seven weeks after Paris.  The only thing so far I've got planned for after Paris is the Sheffield half which is three weeks later.
  • Options
    Yeh, I was woken up in the middle of the night by someone who had caught the stupid o'clock plane image
  • Options
    BK, I would say 7 weeks is fine (BR and Hilly may be able to give better feedback at this than me). I think in my P&D book they even give a training plan of how to taper and build between two marathons, let me know if you're interested and I'll dig it out.

I suppose that Wami may disagree as Paula whipped her at NY 6 weeks after she had won Berlin.
  • Options
    That is what I was reffering to Mr Rubble image But the stupid O clock flight was only £225 image
  • Options

BK, I would say 7 weeks is adequate - just need to make sure you really try and boost your immune system immediately after the first one as it does kick it out of you.  Since Pembroke I seem to have had a continuous cold but I guess it's a bad time of year anyway!

I finished uni last week and I'm now doing a week long lifeguard course so I can do a bit of that alongside personal training in between lectures next year.  Quite a long course (1-10) mon - fri but if anyone falls in the Seine on the way round Paris, I'm your girl image 

Victoria, I got a buff as a prize at Pembroke & I hate taking it off!  It's sooooooo warm image

Anyone doing Torrington on Sunday????

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭

BK - as a non elite runner (a bit different to Paula who gets the best of treatment there is to aid recovery)  I did 2 marathons in 2006 7 weeks apart.  I have to say I was in the best shape I'd ever been in and ran a pb of 2.56 at FLM, then took the next couple of weeks very easy and ran 2 x10ks gettinga pb at one, then two short races 5 miles and 5k in 2 days, getting a 5k pb, followed by another short race a week later and finally South Downs Marathon in very hot conditions and won it.  So yes, it can be done if you're well trained and recover well from your first marathon. 

I wouldn't think of doing a half marathon in between them though even if what I did may seem more I don't believe short races take so much out of you.  And as I said I was extremely well trained at that time having followed 18 months of quite intense mileage and specific sessions.  Don't think I could do it at the moment as i'm not in that kind of shape.

• Options

Cheers for your comments guys and girls.  I've never attempted anything like that before so good to get some words of wisdom on the subject.  Still trying to work out if there is any point doing a marathon if I couldn't give it my best shot.  £39 and train/hotel costs are a bit too much for a training run if that is what it turns out to be.

Food for thought though.