Options

Paris Marathon 2008

Comments

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    I loved my ' Cool Runnings' online Running Diary but I don't like the new Active.com one that's swallowed it..Does anyone have any suggestions? I want something basic, simple...and I don't want to make up my own Excel thingy.
  • Options
    Have you tried fetcheveryone.com ATM? I presume you mean a running diary?
  • Options
    Sorry, I've just read that you said "Running Diary"
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Yes, Rubble...a running diary.The world is not yet ready for my lifestory...Thanks, I'll look.
  • Options
    Go on ATM tell us all.image
  • Options

Barry McK, I'm very envious that your Garmin has arrived - mine hasn't yet image (on it's way from the states).

I'm supposed to do 5m easy this evening but just left the office to grab a sandwich and 'twould freeze the proverbials off a brass monkey..

• Options

E r - yes it's a shame Worthing is so close to Paris.  Pancake-flat course would be perfect preparation. And the B&B owner 5 mins walk from the start knocked up a mean bowl of porridge and a banana for brekky. image

Barry/chocs - I've had my Garmin for a couple of months now and wondering how I survived quite so long with gmaps-pedometer and a stopwatch. Smashing bit of kit.

Re: winter weather clothing, I've started wearing tights if it's really cold but otherwise it's two pairs of shorts, two top layers and always a pair of gloves.  My finger tips are always the first thing to go, but I never wear a hat.

• Options
    Very rarely wear a hat. But I did on top of the Cotswolds when it was snowing.
  • Options
    I can vouch for that. a) rubble wore a hat, and b) it was snowing BIG time !!
  • Options
    I hate wearing hats, but my ears get very cold so I wear a head band. Keeps my hair out my face too...
  • Options

Thanks Nev. Just when I think I have the hang of computers something simple like that goes and throws me!

Cannot stand wearing a hat when running, ever.. do go for head band occasionally though, and gloves are a must because I'm a whinge when my hands get cold. 

• Options

I wear a hat if it's really cold. If it's really cold, tights, shorts, 2 or maybe even 3 layers and gloves... It is quite funny after a run, when you're walking about in shorts and everyone else is huddled into their coats!

Phil, yes, I'm already curious how I survived! Lots more to learn, but very impressed so far. No need to plan and stick to a gmap route. No wondering if I am going too fast/too slow. Will be a very handy little gadget. Just got to figure transferring everything so far from my home-made excel spreadsheet onto sporttracks and we're away...

• Options

Hi all... just emerging from a marathon weekend image and marathon work day today which isn't yet finished. image.

Rest day SAturday, out late but didn't drink... well, not in the evening, anyway. Then did 10.3 miles yesterday at an av of 9.25mm which is well within my FIRST prog LSR pace.  Pleased cos there were plenty of long inclines. Legs felt it last night and still do a bit today in the hamstrings. Had every intention of swimming today but this bl00dy work thing's just too crucial to leave.  Might dash out later this evening if I can manage it.

I often start off with a hat but take it off after a mile or two when i'm warm.   I ended up putting it on again yesterday after about 8 miles.  And my fingers were cold, even with gloves.   I almost took off my jacket but ended up just partially unzipping the sleeves so I had a bit of a through breeze. image#

Back to the slog. 

• Options

i want one of those *really sad* 'buff' things that literally just keeps your neck warm when u run. i find that with all the clever sports kit and mountain of hair i don't have trouble keeping warmish but my neck is always exposed and freezes up!

don't know when i'll be running again, god a food poisoning/stomach bug thing that has left me in Agony all day with regular stomach cramps (as in cramps of the stomach organ not guts!) and the nurse gave me a muscle-relaxant injection which worked for a bit and not im popping buscopan muscle relaxant tablets and trying to sip water.

*feels sorry for herself*

• Options
    Victoria, that sounds truly rotten. My brother and sister did a year in an all irish language boarding school when they were twelve. My sister had a really bad year heatlh wise and was always in the nurses office (some sort of cross viral infection that meant she was permanently ill), but my brother summed the nurse brilliantly - his comment was "your leg could be hanging off, and she'd ask 'an bhfuil panadol ag teastail duit' (do you want a panadol)". Sounds like you've been given the appropriate stuff, but it will take a while to sort yourself out fully.

I ran 5m easy this evening - my lungs hurt because of the cold air (I can't breathe through my nose at the moment) and my eyes were streaming. I hadn't taken off my mascara completely (such a girl!) so I looked a right state by the time I get home. I should point out that this is not the norm - I totally loathe it when novice women rowers show up at the boat house at 6.30am in a full face of slap.....all that extra time in bed wasted....
  • Options
    heatlh = health
    get home = got home
    I'll reread before i post next!
  • Options

Victoria - the buff neck things are fab and double as hats. Ok, that can look a bit 'interesting' but let's face it, none of us look wonderful when running - apart from Chocsin at the start of her runs image. I'm a huge fan. Good for skiing too.

Not so sad afterall, really.  Mine's just plain navy fleece. Very inoffensive! Get one! 

• Options
    Artful Turkey - thanks for the compliment....I think.
    I fulfill every sterotype you would have about an Irish female, so by the end of exercise of any kind, my face is the same colour as my hair!
    I agree about the neck buff things, although when my face and ears have turned pink, i usually pull of my head band and use that as a 'buff'.
  • Options
    Chest infection has cleared, I now have conjunctivitis. I alternate between crying copiously from one eye, to wanting to scratch it out. Don't know what's up this winter, but I've gone from never being ill to catching every bug going.
  • Options

ok i'll get a buff! do really want one.

conjunctivitis is awful...try not to poke your eye!

as to me, yep usually i get a crud nurse who tells me to rest and take nurofen but i had a decent one yesterday and also conveniently had a cramp when i was sitting in her office and she saw me double over and yell out for a few seconds then return to normal then start crying so must have taken me seriously! Hasn't gone today unfortunately, gotta go to work too... stupid holiday jobs image 

• Options
    Was out just after 5am this morning. I actually overdressed as it wasn't too cold - well it was above freezing 2-3 degrees.

Chocs & Victoria - hope you recover from your maladies before Christmas. I've managed to avoid the dreaded man-flu so far even though lots of people at work have it.

Nev - did you get your double runs done yesterday?
  • Options

BR you are unreal - Being up at 5am is bad enough, but out running - I cant even think about that.

Mind you I am often still reading in bed at 2am - some people cannot contemplate that.

Look forward to a SLOW - repeat SLOW 5 miler tonight. Tomorrow is the quick one.

Have a good day whatever it is you are up to. It really is silly season for activities. Stay warm all.

I wish the bloke the other side my small office would use a hankie rather than keep sniffing. Better still go home...

• Options
    yes, did 12 miles lastnight. Was pretty good actually, and not too cold. Nice slow pace, avg 8:15 p/m
  • Options

Bit of swimming for me last night.  The pool was nice and quiet so I was able to concentrate on my technique without having to avoid too many people.  I think with a bit more practice going regularly that I could well turn out to be an OK swimmer.  That just leaves me getting a bike and doing a bit of tri.  Hmm one day maybe.

Things seem to have warmed up here.  It's still obviously winter but nowhere near as cold as last week. 

• Options

so my rest day is normally tuesdays..ie...today image

• Options
    but will probably do a run this evening again
  • Options
    24 miles for you yesterday then Nev.  Getting those miles in.  Must be the Vodka & Red Bull.
  • Options
    haha. didn't plan on running another 12 lastnight, but felt pretty good, so carried on. Was only planning on doing 6. Adding Vodka & Red Bull to the training plan as we speak image
  • Options

Apparently, the best recovery drink (from a post exercise perspective) is milk - it has the correct proportions of carbs and protein to refuel and mend muscle, and is much cheaper than some of the specifically formulated products.
    I use squash with salt for long training sessions (rowing and running).

The Jameson's I reserve for special occasionsimage